AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: NFL: What the Hell?  (Read 67671 times)

Pete from Boston

• Location: Massachusetts, and all the roads radiating out of it
  • Last Login: March 18, 2024, 03:29:22 PM
NFL: What the Hell?
« Reply #125 on: August 21, 2015, 04:49:51 PM »

I like football.  It's a fun game to watch.  I resent that this is used to justify condoning so much shitty behavior.

And I couldn't give a shit any less about deflategate.  It's the NFL's dream–a distraction from its many real problems that ruin lives.  They're probably feeding Brady and Kraft lines like the equally serious storylines of professional wrestling.

slorydn1

• If I pass you on the right, you're doing it wrong.

• Last Login: April 26, 2023, 04:25:13 PM
Re: NFL: What the Hell?
« Reply #126 on: August 21, 2015, 07:50:37 PM »

Gambling, and fantasy football have done alot to keep the fans engaged over the years, even as the on-field product has suffered from rule change after rule change.

That, and the fact that the NFL never truly has an "off-season" anymore. They now have the preseason, regular season, post season and non-playing season. From the 0:00 mark on the scoreboard at the Super Bowl until the opening of training camp, the league, with the help of NFL Network and ESPN, has been able to keep football in our face with some kind of event or deadline every month of the year.

As kids growing up, how many of us over the age of 30 ever even knew that there was such a thing as the combine, and various pro days at the different draft prospects' schools? We knew about the draft, yes, but only as an obscure listing that popped up one Sunday morning in the sports section of the news paper every spring. Most of us were too busy paying attention to the beginning of the MLB season or following our NBA teams down the stretch to the play-offs to really care. Now it's all football, all the time.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Henry

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:22:35 PM
    • Henry Watson's Online Freeway
« Reply #127 on: August 26, 2015, 12:33:19 PM »

After acquiring the naming rights to the Falcons' new stadium, Mercedes-Benz is now the sponsor of two NFC South rivals' home fields (as it already has its name on the Superdome, where the Saints play). I sense a fight in the parking lot over who will get the keys to one of its cars...
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #128 on: August 29, 2015, 12:11:16 AM »

And yet, America continues to obsess over it. The NFL is becoming disturbingly cult-like (as evidenced that a pre-season game got higher ratings than the championship games of the NBA, NHL and MLB).

How do you tell the difference between "cult-like" following, and simply being much more popular than competing professional sports (not counting college football, which is also doing well even though beset by its own issues)?

ISTM the better question is not why the NFL is successful despite its problems, but rather why other professional sports in the U.S. are less successful.
NFL is more successful on a per-game basis because there are only 16 regular season games. It's much easier to hype matchups once a week than the 162-game MLB season. Basketball has evolved into an urban sport and hockey never broke out from being a northern sport, so they have limited fan bases. But I'd argue MLB is overall as popular as NFL, just diluted on a per-game basis.

apjung

• Andy P. Jung on misc.transport.road

• Location: Metairie, Louisiana, USA and born in Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
  • Last Login: August 29, 2023, 04:06:35 PM
    • Welcome to JungWorld.com!
« Reply #129 on: September 15, 2015, 02:20:33 AM »

Anyone sick and tired of the barrage of FanDuel and DraftKings commercials?

All that money they spent could probably fund construction of I-49 thru Arkansas! I could just see it now with them adopting a stretch of Interstate Highway.

Billy F 1988

• Wyoming born, Montana bred, purely American!

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 08:57:15 PM
« Reply #130 on: September 17, 2015, 01:19:55 AM »

I just pretend it's not even there. Draft Kings and FanDuel are things I stay far the hell away from. If people love fantasy football that much, they can literally make fantasy leagues without throwing in all that wasted money. Seriously, if you have had plans to enter a Draft Kings or a FanDuel league, forget it. Get you into an actual fantasy league where having fun is what really matters in that regard. That's why I don't do fantasy sports that involves money. It's like horse racing and gambling. They don't mix well and none of the money-making fantasy leagues actually mean anything.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

triplemultiplex

• "You read it; you can't unread it!"

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 03:51:37 PM
« Reply #131 on: September 18, 2015, 11:02:10 PM »

"Average payout is $24.something"
Read the fine print during those ads if you can.

I don't understand why it isn't considered gambling.  You are putting in money and then either losing it or getting more based on the outcome of a game.  Sounds like gambling to me.  And the dickbags in their commercials sure sound like gamblers.  Talking about the rush of winning money.  The way they are apprehensively staring at the screen during the games.  You can see that same thing at any OTB.

Those companies must be making a lot of money off of gambling addicts based on how many commercials they air; especially high-dollar spots during championship games.

I don't personally care that they are making shitloads of money from gambling, but they should at least be forced to admit that is what they are doing.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Pete from Boston

• Location: Massachusetts, and all the roads radiating out of it
  • Last Login: March 18, 2024, 03:29:22 PM
NFL: What the Hell?
« Reply #132 on: September 19, 2015, 03:47:29 AM »

No, no, they're just "monetizing the thrill."  Not gambling.  Just bringing joy as evidenced in those faces.

The Massachusetts Attorney General's office has begun investigating them.  Certainly couldn't have anything to do with the recent arrival to the state of large and incredibly wealthy gambling–er, gaming companies.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 03:49:46 AM by Pete from Boston »

I-39

• Last Login: December 26, 2023, 01:46:08 PM
« Reply #133 on: September 28, 2015, 10:16:14 PM »

I've said this before, the NFL is becoming a cult. People are becoming WAY too obsessed with it. It's not that big of a freaking deal! I'm tired of 95% of sports coverage going to Football.

Stephane Dumas

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:08:03 PM
« Reply #134 on: September 28, 2015, 10:38:00 PM »

I spotted that article on Bloomberg.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-09-25/nfl-wants-players-to-pay-for-los-angeles-stadium

The National Football League is asking its players to help finance any new stadium in Los Angeles, a prerequisite to putting a team in the No. 2 U.S. media market for the first time since the Raiders and Rams bolted in 1994.

The NFL players union, which confirmed the talks, typically assumes some of the cost of stadium financing through what are called stadium credits, negotiated in the collective bargaining agreement. However, team owners have exhausted the credits approved in the existing contract, which runs through 2020. Any additional money from players – as for a proposed stadium in L.A. – must be approved on a one-off basis.

How much the players would pay for either stadium is unclear. The ultimate amount of a stadium credit is affected by several things, including how much projected revenue the proposed facility would generate.

Still, two executives from NFL teams said the credit could be worth about $300 million if two teams share the stadium. The executives requested anonymity because the league hasn’t commented on talks with the players association.

Darkchylde

• Posting from the ladies' room, probably

• Last Login: March 03, 2023, 02:29:10 PM
    • Oh Noes!
« Reply #135 on: September 29, 2015, 08:22:25 AM »

And yet, America continues to obsess over it. The NFL is becoming disturbingly cult-like (as evidenced that a pre-season game got higher ratings than the championship games of the NBA, NHL and MLB).

How do you tell the difference between "cult-like" following, and simply being much more popular than competing professional sports (not counting college football, which is also doing well even though beset by its own issues)?

ISTM the better question is not why the NFL is successful despite its problems, but rather why other professional sports in the U.S. are less successful.
NFL is more successful on a per-game basis because there are only 16 regular season games. It's much easier to hype matchups once a week than the 162-game MLB season. Basketball has evolved into an urban sport and hockey never broke out from being a northern sport, so they have limited fan bases. But I'd argue MLB is overall as popular as NFL, just diluted on a per-game basis.
The fact that you can see all of a team's games in its market on over-the-air TV in its home market helps as well, to some degree. Nowadays, a lot of baseball, basketball, and hockey teams are moving to cable, especially to regional sports networks, leaving maybe one or two games per week on OTA TV each, and not all season long, and most likely not even for your team because of asinine blackout rules.

It might not seem like a huge factor, until you consider the growing rate of cord cutting. Between the games in the afternoons on Sundays, as well as the Sunday Night game, the early-season Thursday games being simulcast OTA - and if you're lucky, your market has the Monday Night game this week - that's a lot of football for nothing.

Thing 342

• Last Login: March 07, 2024, 09:43:55 PM
« Reply #136 on: September 29, 2015, 09:02:09 AM »

"Average payout is $24.something"
Read the fine print during those ads if you can.

That average is heavily skewed towards the massive payouts that these companies like to advertise. The median payout is somewhere closer to $2-3 dollars per week.

I'm really not a fan of these daily fantasy leagues because given the amount of statistical noise in a single football game, they are pretty much gambling sites. It also doesn't help that several NFL owners (such as New England's Robert Kraft) own large shares in these companies, which from my perspective seems like a conflict of interest.

triplemultiplex

« Reply #137 on: September 29, 2015, 05:11:09 PM »

It also doesn't help that several NFL owners (such as New England's Robert Kraft) own large shares in these companies, which from my perspective seems like a conflict of interest.

Oh good, yet another reason to hate the Patriots.

Billy F 1988

« Reply #138 on: October 01, 2015, 12:22:42 AM »

I really don't care about any football team, good or bad, loved or hated. The biggest theme that gets me irked a lot is the mentality of "all football, all the time". It's what 80% of the mainstream sports media turns to a lot this time of year. And I am damn sick and tired of hearing the Fan Duel and Draft Kings commercials over and over and over again!
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Alps

• y u m

• Alps' Roads
« Reply #139 on: October 03, 2015, 02:03:27 AM »

I really don't care about any football team, good or bad, loved or hated. The biggest theme that gets me irked a lot is the mentality of "all football, all the time". It's what 80% of the mainstream sports media turns to a lot this time of year. And I am damn sick and tired of hearing the Fan Duel and Draft Kings commercials over and over and over again!
I don't have a TV so I only hear people complain about those commercials. Wanna know what bugs me? Anytime I go visit any sports page on Yahoo - not just NFL, not even just pro sports at all - I get a popup about some million dollar bullshit. If I haven't entered by now, it's not happening. Chill. Out.

ET21

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:11:16 PM
« Reply #140 on: October 05, 2015, 02:16:24 PM »

DraftKings annoyance stocks have skyrocketed just these past 4 weeks alone
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Buffaboy

• I love good roads AND public transit

• Last Login: March 09, 2024, 07:38:19 PM
« Reply #141 on: October 05, 2015, 07:54:25 PM »

NFL = WWE, Bills V. Giants, case in point.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

Henry

« Reply #142 on: October 06, 2015, 12:32:09 PM »

Well, the refs helped the Seahawks win last night because of a fumble that was batted in the back of the endzone (second time they've done that in the last few years). Batgate, anyone?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:52:41 PM
« Reply #143 on: October 06, 2015, 12:40:49 PM »

Appearantly a DraftKings employee won some big money in a Fanduel contest this week.  While there probably wasn't any rule for an employee of one company to participate in the other company's contests, the employee has been accused of using his company's info by seeing how bets were placed at his company, and used that info to place his bets at the other company.  The fewer people that were betting on a particular team allowed him to have a better chance of winning that particular bet. 

Alps

• y u m

• Alps' Roads
« Reply #144 on: October 07, 2015, 01:17:25 AM »

Well, the refs helped the Seahawks win last night because of a fumble that was batted in the back of the endzone (second time they've done that in the last few years). Batgate, anyone?
Seahawks mean more to the NFL (fanbase = profits) than the Lions, so they are going to push them toward the playoffs.

Billy F 1988

« Reply #145 on: October 08, 2015, 12:02:38 AM »

Appearantly a DraftKings employee won some big money in a Fanduel contest this week.  While there probably wasn't any rule for an employee of one company to participate in the other company's contests, the employee has been accused of using his company's info by seeing how bets were placed at his company, and used that info to place his bets at the other company.  The fewer people that were betting on a particular team allowed him to have a better chance of winning that particular bet.

I'm putting that in the "C'mon man!" category.

triplemultiplex

« Reply #146 on: October 08, 2015, 04:04:35 AM »

When the game is rigged, the only way to win is to cheat.

Billy F 1988

« Reply #147 on: December 28, 2015, 06:13:43 PM »

So Al Jazera gets in on the act accusing Peyton Manning of using HGH hormonal treatments for his bad neck in 2011, eh? I'd agree with Peyton. That was total garbage and for this bitch of an ESPN reporter to bring that up, that makes it even more bullshit. Yeah, thanks ESPN for blowing this shit up to epic proportions.

On top of that, another ex-Colt gets gigged with a charge of assault with a weapon and I really don't understand this at all.

It just goes to show how I loathe Roger Goodell, loathe any person including Manziel who thinks they can get away with certain things but others like this ex-Colt player don't. I'm sick of it.

Henry

« Reply #148 on: December 29, 2015, 11:04:13 AM »

FWIW, the Patriots may think they're off the hook for it, but everybody still keeps talking about their years of cheating, and probably will long after Tom Brady and Bill Belichick have played and coached in their last game, respectively.

As for the former Colts, I really could care less about this so-called Hormonegate or whatever the hell else it is that they've been up to.

Rothman

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:52:13 PM
« Reply #149 on: December 29, 2015, 11:26:11 AM »

FWIW, the Patriots may think they're off the hook for it, but everybody still keeps talking about their years of cheating, and probably will long after Tom Brady and Bill Belichick have played and coached in their last game, respectively.

As for the former Colts, I really could care less about this so-called Hormonegate or whatever the hell else it is that they've been up to.

So...cheating only counts against the Pats? :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.