AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: NFL: What the Hell?  (Read 67671 times)

Billy F 1988

• Wyoming born, Montana bred, purely American!

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 08:57:15 PM
Re: NFL: What the Hell?
« Reply #150 on: December 29, 2015, 08:42:37 PM »

As for the former Colts, I really could care less about this so-called Hormonegate or whatever the hell else it is that they've been up to.

I'll grant you bonus points for that term you coined up: hormonegate!  :D
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Henry

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:22:35 PM
    • Henry Watson's Online Freeway
« Reply #151 on: December 30, 2015, 11:15:53 AM »

As for the former Colts, I really could care less about this so-called Hormonegate or whatever the hell else it is that they've been up to.

I'll grant you bonus points for that term you coined up: hormonegate!  :D
:rofl: And BTW, you're welcome!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

kurumi

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:06:26 PM
    • kurumi.com
« Reply #152 on: December 30, 2015, 01:56:18 PM »

EDIT: I haven't read the stories and don't know if it's true
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Jovet

• Last Login: December 27, 2022, 09:21:31 AM
« Reply #153 on: December 30, 2015, 06:13:53 PM »

EDIT: I haven't read the stories and don't know if it's true

As a music nerd and Peyton Manning hater, this is hilarious!!   Those commercials always make me change the channel, too.

I've always suspected he "does something" because the size of his neck compared to his brother (especially during his Colts years) was ridiculous. 
Joseph
[Jovet]

triplemultiplex

• "You read it; you can't unread it!"

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 03:51:37 PM
« Reply #154 on: December 30, 2015, 08:39:18 PM »

I just kind of assumed most football players were doping with hormones & shit.  Many of them certainly look like it's not just 'exercise' that made them big as they are.

Just like the steroid scandals for MLB and the Olympics and pro-cycling, it's not so much about gaining a competitive advantage as it is speeding recovery from injury.

I wonder if this would keep popping up if there wasn't the pressure of millions and millions of dollars at stake in pro sports.

I have to think one day, pro sports organizations are going to need incorporate some sort of legitimate protocol for using various hormonal and gene therapies for treating injuries as they become increasingly viable options for medical treatment, not just for pro athletes, but for all humans.  At some point, denying access to these modalities is going to be a marked disadvantage for them compared to the general population.  10 or 20 years from now, they may sound ridiculously out of date.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

US 41

• Last Login: February 04, 2024, 09:59:20 PM
« Reply #155 on: January 10, 2016, 10:35:58 AM »

Add last night's Steelers vs Bengals game to this list. The Bengals are down 9-0 in the 3rd Quarter at around the Pitt 25 when Bernard gets taken out of the game by a helmet to helmet. If that's not targeting then I don't know what is. I thought the NFL was serious about head injuries. I guess not. To make matters worse Pittsburgh gets the ball and scores a touchdown on the following drive. That play was when the game really started to change and players started playing dirty. The fans were even out of control after that point (understandably), throwing water bottles on the field and at Rothlesburger as he was being carted off the field.

The Steelers have always been known as a dirty team. In case anyone has forgotten, last time the Bengals and Steelers played each other in the playoffs the Steelers almost ended Carson Palmer's career on a no call definite late hit.

Then at the end of the game Jones gets a 15 yard penalty, but the Pittsburgh LB Coach who had no business being on the field doesn't. Oh and in the first quarter some assistant for the Steelers was pushing a Bengals player and he actually got flagged for it (surprise surprise).

Steelers were basically gift wrapped the game at the end. The officiating however was the worst I had ever seen watching an NFL game and I have seen a lot of games. Whatever view you have of the game it was still a "What the Hell NFL" moment.

Regardless the Bengals lost the game. Fumble or not by Hill you have to hang on to the ball in late game situations, especially in the playoffs when all you need is 1 first down to win the game.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 10:39:38 AM by US 41 »
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

kurumi

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:06:26 PM
    • kurumi.com
« Reply #156 on: January 10, 2016, 11:33:08 AM »

I'd like to see the Chiefs go all the way. KC will own 2 championships (just like the Bay Area did recently).

I'd also like to see Alex Smith get the Super Bowl MVP. In the stadium of the team that pushed him away. His speech should reference Jim Harbaugh's tweet ("Do not be deceived. You will reap what you sow"), and end with an invitation to Jed York to do something for which will take a lot of Pepsi to wash the taste out.

In shame, the Yorks refund all public money involved in funding the stadium and then sell the team to an owner who understands football.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Billy F 1988

« Reply #157 on: January 10, 2016, 07:25:55 PM »

Well, well, well, let's see. We had Deflategate, I certainly hope we've gone past Hormonegate, and now we have Helmetgate, a series of stories where players have been known to make contact using the helmet as a weapon. On top of that, we have Bottlegate Part II, and that just adds to the sheer idiocy of the fans. I know some were mad, but c'mon. Really? Throwing bottles at a down player? That's just cold. You can like that player or hate that player all you want to, but god dang, don't be throwing bottles at the down player!

What a shame. So much for what the "National Felons League" are trying to preach about safety of players yet most who are involved in this lucrative multi-figure business lack the proactiveness thereof doing so or doing very little of it, take your pick.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Pete from Boston

• Location: Massachusetts, and all the roads radiating out of it
  • Last Login: March 18, 2024, 03:29:22 PM
NFL: What the Hell?
« Reply #158 on: January 11, 2016, 03:59:16 AM »

During all the intense ethical debate last week that always accompanies the Baseball Hall of Fame voting, I kept being struck by how different the conversation is in baseball than it is in football.  Rather than anybody talking about the "sanctity of the game," everyone expects football players to be crooks.  Nice work on your culture there, NFL.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 09:21:42 AM by Pete from Boston »

bing101

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 01:54:25 PM

US 41

« Reply #160 on: February 04, 2016, 07:59:23 PM »

On top of that, we have Bottlegate Part II, and that just adds to the sheer idiocy of the fans. I know some were mad, but c'mon. Really? Throwing bottles at a down player? That's just cold. You can like that player or hate that player all you want to, but god dang, don't be throwing bottles at the down player!

It reminded me a little bit of the Pacers Pistons brawl that involved the fans except (thankfully) it didn't quite reach that level. The worst part is that both incidents involved my favorite teams from both leagues (the Pacers and the Bengals).

bing101

« Reply #161 on: February 05, 2016, 04:05:10 PM »

triplemultiplex

« Reply #162 on: February 05, 2016, 09:13:51 PM »

Ooh, sorry Johnny Football, we don't look the other way with this kind of shit if you suck.
Your name is not Adrian Peterson, so a billion dollars worth of fantasy football gambling isn't riding on you playing football.
Bye, bye forever.  :-/

bing101

Desert Man

• Last Login: May 14, 2021, 12:51:19 PM
« Reply #164 on: February 06, 2016, 07:12:11 PM »

Tomorrow is the 50th super bowl in the NFL, the Denver Broncos under football great Peyton Manning take on the season's best record team the Carolina Panthers. My own Mom who's a 49er fan since the early 1980s will watch the game from the 49ers' new home field: Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara CA in the SF Bay area. Whether Peyton will match his brother Eli's two SB career victories or the Panthers' Cam Newton might do 4 touchdowns like he did in the NFC title game, it's a must see sports match of the century. The game is on Sunday on CBS at 3:30pm Pacific time (convert times to your time zone)...celebrate half a century of post-league merger Super Bowls (the former American Football League founded 1960 joined the NFL in 1970).
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

US 41

« Reply #165 on: February 06, 2016, 09:36:06 PM »

Tomorrow is the 50th super bowl in the NFL, the Denver Broncos under football great Peyton Manning take on the season's best record team the Carolina Panthers. My own Mom who's a 49er fan since the early 1980s will watch the game from the 49ers' new home field: Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara CA in the SF Bay area. Whether Peyton will match his brother Eli's two SB career victories or the Panthers' Cam Newton might do 4 touchdowns like he did in the NFC title game, it's a must see sports match of the century. The game is on Sunday on CBS at 3:30pm Pacific time (convert times to your time zone)...celebrate half a century of post-league merger Super Bowls (the former American Football League founded 1960 joined the NFL in 1970).

Not sure if I've ever seen a superbowl played while the Sun is still shining. Usually it starts at night since it is almost always on the east coast (or so it seems).

slorydn1

• If I pass you on the right, you're doing it wrong.

• Last Login: April 26, 2023, 04:25:13 PM
« Reply #166 on: February 07, 2016, 08:01:46 AM »

2015=Phoenix
2014=NJ/NY
2013=New Orleans
2012=Indianapolis
2011=Dallas
2010=Miami
2009=Tampa
2008=Phoenix
2007=Miami
2006=Detroit

Last 10 Super Bowls. 4 are on the east coast (I'll count Tampa as East coast for this). 6 of the 10 having been played indoors probably have more to do with the lack of perceived daylight than time zone and time of year (including the two in Phoenix).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 08:14:25 AM by slorydn1 »
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Billy F 1988

« Reply #167 on: February 07, 2016, 01:10:34 PM »

I so want Manziel-mania to DIE!

Stephane Dumas

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:08:03 PM
« Reply #168 on: February 07, 2016, 07:11:49 PM »

There's a road sign in North Carolina where some folks wonder if it's a kind of omen to predict the outcome of the SuperBowl?
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2016/02/07/north-carolina-road-sign-predicts-super-bowl-outcome/

Let's see if the chicken bones prediction will come true again this year.

Henry

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:22:35 PM
    • Henry Watson's Online Freeway
« Reply #169 on: February 08, 2016, 11:22:55 AM »

Well, in case you missed it, the Broncos defeated the Panthers by a final score of 24-10. It may have been Peyton Manning's last game, but you never know.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

bing101

« Reply #170 on: February 08, 2016, 04:24:57 PM »

Well, in case you missed it, the Broncos defeated the Panthers by a final score of 24-10. It may have been Peyton Manning's last game, but you never know.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/02/super-bowl-hideous-panthers-broncos-cam-newton-peyton-manning#

And USA Today Reviews this NFL Game.

Billy F 1988

« Reply #171 on: February 08, 2016, 04:33:37 PM »

They said the same thing last year about the Seahawks/Patriots game in a similar vein to this one! 95% of the game is all ads and boobies while the other 5 is on the action itself. I thought Cam gave it his all despite a lot of flaws that cost them the game. I watched the box score a couple of times just to see what Cam and the Carolina offense could do, but they struggled too much to even try to power past Denver's defensive line and now these fools at USA Today call it hideous. Maybe USA Today is hideous moreso than the game itself, IDK!

Pete from Boston

• Location: Massachusetts, and all the roads radiating out of it
  • Last Login: March 18, 2024, 03:29:22 PM
« Reply #172 on: February 08, 2016, 05:25:20 PM »

They said the same thing last year about the Seahawks/Patriots game in a similar vein to this one! 95% of the game is all ads and boobies while the other 5 is on the action itself. I thought Cam gave it his all despite a lot of flaws that cost them the game. I watched the box score a couple of times just to see what Cam and the Carolina offense could do, but they struggled too much to even try to power past Denver's defensive line and now these fools at USA Today call it hideous. Maybe USA Today is hideous moreso than the game itself, IDK!

This was just not the game that the NFL likes to see the Super Bowl be. No nonstop scoring, big run-up, or any of that. This was a snoozer for the casual fan.

It did support the cliché that defense wins games, particularly Super Bowls.  For anyone that watched the way Tom Brady got beat up two weeks ago, this game was not a big surprise.

bing101

triplemultiplex

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.