News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What’s the deal with the Hempstead Tollway/290

Started by bluecountry, February 17, 2020, 12:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thisdj78

Quote from: bluecountry on February 20, 2020, 10:34:18 AM
Quote from: thisdj78 on February 19, 2020, 10:30:35 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 19, 2020, 06:22:02 PM
I've noticed that the Manor Expressway Toll Road in Austin is signed TX-290 Toll, while the frontage roads are US 290. Why is that? Also, if more managed toll lanes (such as the Hempstead Tollway) are constructed, might they also get the TX-290 Toll designation as well?

Because the toll road is not part of the US Highway system, so when the toll was built, the US-290 designation was moved to the frontage roads.
290 has no tolls.....

I believe that is the same as what I just said: US-290 has no tolls as it was moved to the frontage roads, as it relates to the Manor Expressway aka "290 Toll" .

bluecountry

OK now it makes some sense, it seems the Hempstead Tollway will be where the current 290 HOV shifts too, with the current HOV being part of general purpose lanes on 290.

My question...
1.  290 is 5 lanes from 610 to where...1960?
-Then 4 lanes to where....3 to where.....then 2

2.  What was 290 5/10/20 years ago?

MaxConcrete

My question...
1.  290 is 5 lanes from 610 to where...1960?
-Then 4 lanes to where....3 to where.....then 2

2.  What was 290 5/10/20 years ago?

610 to 6/1960: 5-1H-5
1960 to 99 (Grand Parkway): 4-1H-4
99 to west of FM 2920 (at Waller): 3x3

The HOV was originally slated to be on the Hempstead Toll Road, so when it was moved onto the main lanes it caused narrowing of the main lanes and also conversion of a planned freeway lane in some areas.

For 5/10/20 years ago, it varied by section, but was generally 3-1H-3 610 to 1960, 3x3 1960 to around Barker Cypress and 2x2 from around Barker Cypress westward. Some sections around 99 were not full freeway standards until after 2000 (and were very dangerous due to crossings and signals). The new alignment west of Hockley is not that old, mostly built in the 1990s.

US 290 was originally constructed to low standards, even though long-term planning maps anticipated heavy growth in the corridor. Fortunately, growth turned out to be less than expected, but still  more than the underdesigned freeway could handle.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

bluecountry

Thanks...I thought 290 was 2 lanes in each direction in Waller to 6?

thisdj78

Quote from: bluecountry on March 05, 2020, 10:16:10 AM
Thanks...I thought 290 was 2 lanes in each direction in Waller to 6?

No, it's been expanded to 3 lanes each way, up to 4 between grand parkway and Hwy6

Bobby5280

Quote from: MaxConcrete610 to 6/1960: 5-1H-5
1960 to 99 (Grand Parkway): 4-1H-4

I really cannot stand single lane express/HOV lanes. They suck. IMHO those separated roadways need to be at least 2 lanes wide, either in a reversible configuration or (better) 2 specialty lanes in each direction, provided if there is enough room for them. Additionally, I think the separate "free" lanes parts of the road need to be at least 3 or 4 lanes across before anyone farts around with adding separate express/HOV roadways. A 4-4-4-4 configuration (looking at you I-820 in Fort Worth) sucks. But so does something like a 3-1H-3 configuration. If there's not enough room to build a PAIR of specialty lanes then they don't need to be building any premium priced lanes at all. Make all the lanes free instead.

The most obvious problem with single lane express/HOV lanes is the strong likelihood that once you enter one of these one-lane scams you'll end up looking at the bumper of some slow poke driving the same speed as the other people in the "free" lanes off to the right. Since there's only one lane you're stuck. It's not like you can pass the slow poke. The toll rates per mile in Dallas-Fort Worth are not overtly bad, but they're really not all that cheap either (they're definitely a substantial premium over any toll road in Oklahoma).

Here's an even bigger problem with single lane express/HOV lanes. If they're configured like they are on US-290 going NW out of Houston you might have the tendency to slow down a LOT. The freaking lane is closely bracketed by concrete Jersey barriers on both the left and right. The feeling of driving along in an "express" lane like that is very similar to driving through a construction zone on a bridge rehab project. I might feel comfortable driving on a single lane with Jersey barriers on both sides at speeds of 35-40mph. At speeds of 60-70mph the feeling is going to get a whole lot more claustrophobic and scary. Honestly the toll authority would have to pay me to drive in that stupid single lane. Get rid of it!!

skquinn

Quote from: thisdj78 on February 19, 2020, 10:36:02 PM
There is enough ROW adjacent to the railroad for a 4 lane toll-road between TX6 and BW8, WestPark tollroad is an example of a highway built along a similar ROW.

When I last drove it regularly (before/during the I-10 expansion), the Westpark Tollway was a bit of a botch, and would always become congested when I drove it during peak periods (I was living near TX 6/Beechnut at the time). Eventually, the Westpark Tollway will likely need widening (from Beltway 8 to I-610), and the only way I see that happening is at the expense of surface road capacity on Westpark Drive and/or the remaining right-of-way originally planned to be used for light rail.

Back on topic... four lanes, two each direction, might be just enough for peak-hour relief, especially given it's closer to other routes than the Westpark Tollway is to either I-10 or I-69/US 59.

Bobby5280

Quote from: Bobby5280A 4-4-4-4 configuration (looking at you I-820 in Fort Worth) sucks.

Just noticed this typo from months ago. That should be 2-2-2-2 configuration. That's what I-820 is in Fort Worth (as well as some parts of I-35W). A 4-4-4-4 super highway would not be all that bad, but 6-2-2-6 would be much better.

BigManFromAFRICA88

Quote from: Bobby5280 on August 05, 2020, 12:57:39 PM
Quote from: Bobby5280A 4-4-4-4 configuration (looking at you I-820 in Fort Worth) sucks.

Just noticed this typo from months ago. That should be 2-2-2-2 configuration. That's what I-820 is in Fort Worth (as well as some parts of I-35W). A 4-4-4-4 super highway would not be all that bad, but 6-2-2-6 would be much better.

Which is why driving I-635 and SH 183 is more pleasant than driving I-35W.

MaxConcrete

The Hempstead Toll road Freeway is the subject of renewed attention from TxDOT.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/transportation/article/TxDOT-takes-tolls-out-of-Hempstead-Highway-plans-15568502.php

Good news: if built, it will be toll-free
Possible problem: building it as an elevated freeway will increase cost

The article fails to mention that Texas Central plans to build a tall elevated structure along Hempstead Road for high speed rail. So if Texas Central is built (which is a big if), there will already be an elevated structure along the corridor.

I live near Hempstead road and drive it occasionally. A ground level toll road will require a major right-of-way clearance of businesses, nearly all of which are lower-tier. But with right-of-way clearance becoming politically difficult or impossible in Houston, an elevated structure possibly double-decked may be the only politically feasible option.

TxDOT takes tolls out of Hempstead Highway plans, but raises idea of elevated lanes

A long-planned tollway along Hempstead Road has new life, albeit without the tolls, as Texas Department of Transportation planners pitch an elevated system that could cater to carpools and transit.

Specific designs are years away, but the concept TxDOT officials are pursuing, and recently inserted in the regional 10-year transportation plan updated annually by the Houston-Galveston Area Council, involves rebuilding most of Hempstead Road from Loop 610 to Jones Road in northwest Harris County and adding a transit-only lane in each direction.

The biggest change, however, hovers above Hempstead, where officials are proposing two managed lanes in each direction along an elevated structure atop or alongside the road.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

bluecountry

I'm confused, so is this going to be a 4 lane expressway with managed lanes and transit only lanes // to 290?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.