Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: 74/171FAN on January 08, 2024, 12:36:34 PM
(For I-80)   PennDOT - District 4 News: PennDOT/BPC to Prepare for I-80 Nescopeck Creek Bridges Construction – Spring 2024
QuoteIn August 2022, PennDOT chose to move the I-80 Nescopeck Creek Bridges project forward under the Major Bridge P3 (MBP3) program, without tolling.

Bet they're still bitter about that

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

MASTERNC

Odd they stuck on a non-matching signal for the second turn lane.  Looks very haphazard.

tmoore952

plain

Quote from: MASTERNC on February 14, 2024, 10:22:27 AM
Odd they stuck on a non-matching signal for the second turn lane.  Looks very haphazard.

I've seen this happen quite a few times. It's usually because something happened to the original signal and they needed a quick replacement, but they might have decided to open a 2nd turn lane and an exact signal housing (in this case, black) wasn't readily available.
Newark born, Richmond bred

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

MASTERNC

74/171FAN

mariethefoxy

74/171FAN

^I honestly have no idea.   Neither US 1, US 202, or US 322 is a freeway in this immediate area. 

PennDOT - Statewide News: Shapiro Administration Shares Resources for Visitors, Motorists Ahead of April 8 Solar Eclipse

QuoteNew traveler information page established to help visitors planning trips to northwest PA for unique viewing opportunity.

Harrisburg, PA – In advance of the solar eclipse that will darken skies across all of Pennsylvania on April 8, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT), the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency (PEMA), the Pennsylvania State Police (PSP), Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission (PTC), and Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR) are advising residents to plan ahead, especially those living in or traveling to the Northwest Region.

"Pennsylvania is lucky to be one of only 13 states in the path of totality for this eclipse, bringing residents and visitors a unique viewing opportunity in our own backyard. The high number of expected visitors is an opportunity to showcase our state and also requires partnership among state agencies and travelers alike," said PennDOT Secretary Mike Carroll. "We are coordinating across agencies as well as with local governments and regional organizations to plan for the likelihood of traffic congestion that day with an emphasis on safety for our residents and eclipse tourists."

Nearly 435,000 Pennsylvanians live in the path of totality for the 2024 solar eclipse, which will impact Crawford and Erie counties as well as portions of Mercer and Warren counties. Upwards of 200,000 people are expected to journey into the City of Erie alone to watch the astronomical event, which could lead to travel challenges in different portions of the state throughout the day.

The path of the eclipse will impact Pennsylvania starting at approximately 2:00 PM as the moon travels in front of the sun. At approximately 3:16 PM to 3:20 PM totality will occur in northwest region. At the same time, the remainder of the state will see the moon covering 90% to 99% of the sun. The eclipse will conclude at approximately 4:30 PM.

The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission will be keeping all lanes of traffic open heading to and from Erie on I-79 via the Cranberry Interchange (Exit #28) and adding additional maintenance personnel in the event of an emergency.

"We would like drivers to pay attention to posted speed limits and keep their eyes on the road as traffic is expected to be heavier than normal here during this timeframe," said PA Turnpike Chief Operating Officer Craig Shuey.

PSP will remove disabled vehicles from interstates in northwestern Pennsylvania and post troopers at each exit to keep traffic moving. People gathered at rest stops will be directed to view the eclipse elsewhere.

"Our primary concern is public safety," said Colonel Christopher Paris, Commissioner of the Pennsylvania State Police. "Troopers will have an increased presence in the area and zero tolerance for distracted, aggressive, and intoxicated drivers. This eclipse should be a once-in-a-lifetime event with fond memories, not an experience marred by tragedy." 

To assist Pennsylvania residents and out-of-state visitors traveling to the City of Erie, which will experience one of the longest period of darkness, PennDOT has developed an event specific 511PA page – www.511pa.com/eclipse24. The page offers various suggested routes to help drivers traveling to the area during what is expected to be a high traffic period.

To help find a location to watch the eclipse or learn about related events happening in the City of Erie and throughout Erie County, go to the VisitErie Eclipse 2024 page.

Along with using the webpage, eclipse travelers are reminded of the following safety tips:

Plan ahead for longer than usual travel times to and from destinations.
Exit the highway to view the eclipse.
Turn on your headlights.
Be alert for vehicles on the shoulder and increased pedestrian traffic.
Put down the phone and never take pictures or videos while driving.
Take off eclipse glasses while driving.
Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful and don't litter.

Four state parks are within the path of the total eclipse:

Presque Isle State Park (Erie County)
Erie Bluffs State Park (Erie County)
Pymatuning State Park (Crawford County)
Maurice K. Goddard State Park (Crawford County)
"Visitors are welcome in all of Pennsylvania's state parks and forests to view the eclipse, or the view from your local park or even your backyard will be excellent," DCNR Secretary Cindy Adams Dunn said. "Crowds are expected at state parks, especially in the northwest, so visitors should plan around sharing viewing spaces and anticipate traffic."

Those interested in viewing the eclipse outdoors should be prepared by bringing the following items:

Solar-safe glasses, pinhole viewer, solar-safe viewing lenses for binoculars, cameras, or telescopes.
Water.
Snacks or a meal.
Appropriate layers for sunny, cold, or rainy conditions and comfortable walking shoes.
Sunscreen.
Bug repellent.
Camp chairs, a blanket, or other seating.
Necessary medications.
"It's important to realize that if you know an event is going to happen, you can plan to minimize its impact," said PEMA Director Randy Padfield. "Make sure that you've taken care of routine errands before April 8 or take care of them the next day. Anyone who lives or works in northwest Pennsylvania needs to think ahead about how they will get to work, handle childcare and attend to any important medical appointments the day of the eclipse. It is highly recommended that any unnecessary travel be delayed or rescheduled."

Many state parks are holding educational programs leading up to the eclipse. Additional information on viewing the eclipse from any state park through the state, visit the DCNR website's 2024 Total Solar Eclipse page.

For additional transportation safety information and resources, including sharable social media graphics and a printable handout, go online to PennDOT's Media Center. 

Follow PennDOT news and find #eclipse24 related traffic updates on X and the department's regional Facebook group.

MEDIA CONTACTS: Jill Harry, PennDOT, 814-678-5035, jharry@pa.gov or Erin Waters-Trasatt, ewaterstra@pa.gov

Wesley Robinson, DCNR, 717-877-6315, werobinson@pa.gov 
Myles Snyder, PSP, 717-783-5556 or ra-pspcomm@pa.gov
Ruth A. Miller, PEMA, ruthmiller@pa.gov 
Renee Colborn, PTC, 724-755-5260 

PennDOT - District 8 News: NB I-81 Rest Area at Newville, Cumberland County, to be Closed Next Week

QuoteContractor to install new HVAC system

Harrisburg, PA – The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) announced today that the northbound Interstate 81 (Newville) rest area in Cumberland County will be closed next week so a contractor can install a new heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system in the rest area facility. The rest area is located just north of Exit 37 (Route 233/Newville) in Penn Township.

This work is scheduled for 6:00 AM Tuesday, March 19, to 4:00 PM Thursday, March 21. The building and parking area will be closed during this time.

The next available rest area is just south of Exit 80 (Grantville/Hershey) in Dauphin County.

Motorists can check conditions on major roadways by visiting www.511PA.com. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information and access to more than 1,000 traffic cameras.

511PA is also available through a smartphone application for iPhone and Android devices, by calling 5-1-1, or by following local alerts on X.

Subscribe to PennDOT news and traffic alerts in Adams, Cumberland, Dauphin, Franklin, Lancaster, Lebanon, Perry and York counties at PennDOT District 8.

Information about infrastructure in District 8, including completed work and significant projects, is available at District 8 Results. Find PennDOT's planned and active construction projects at PennDOT Projects.

Find PennDOT news on X, Facebook, and Instagram.

roadman65

https://historicbridges.org/bridges/browser/?bridgebrowser=pennsylvania/westinghouse/
Never knew this bridge existed along US 30 in East Pittsburgh.  Looks more impressive from Braddock Avenue below.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on March 17, 2024, 09:40:44 PM
https://historicbridges.org/bridges/browser/?bridgebrowser=pennsylvania/westinghouse/
Never knew this bridge existed along US 30 in East Pittsburgh.  Looks more impressive from Braddock Avenue below.
Been down there many times, it's a great half-dead industrial area to explore.

74/171FAN

PennDOT - District 9 News: PennDOT Announces Update for Automated School Bus Enforcement

QuoteUpdated when Gov. Shapiro signed SB 851, law now allows vehicle owners to contest liability virtually or in-person with a PennDOT Hearing Officer

Harrisburg, PA – The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) has published updated Program Guidelines for School Bus Side Stop Signal Arm Enforcement Systems to the PennDOT website, with further instructions for vendors on the hearing process, as well as other guidance and key reminders related to the program. Frequently Asked Questions and a list of PA Approved School Bus Side Stop Signal Arm Enforcement Systems can also be found online.

Pennsylvania law, updated by Act 19 of 2023, allows school districts to install and operate automated camera systems for the purpose of enforcing Pennsylvania's School Bus Stopping Law and increasing safety for children riding school buses across the state. Violations identified by a camera system are reviewed by police under agreement with the school district. After that review the school district may issue a violation to the vehicle owner, including a $300 fine. These violations are civil penalties only and no points will be assessed to driver's licenses.

Under the law, motor vehicle owners may request a hearing to contest liability before a PennDOT hearing officer, at no cost to the vehicle owner. This was updated by Act 19. Previously, an owner could contest liability by requesting a hearing with the magisterial district judge where the violation occurred and paying the applicable civil filing fees. Beginning this week, notices of violation will include instructions for requesting a hearing with a PennDOT hearing officer.

The updated law also includes additional transparency with the requirement of an annual report. Schools with an active program are required to submit information to PennDOT and Pennsylvania State Police (PSP) annually by July 1. The agencies will jointly prepare a report that will be posted to the schools' publicly available website by December 31. Reports are required to include:

The name of the system administrator.
The number of school buses equipped with a side stop signal arm enforcement system.
The number of notices of violation issued.
The amount of fines imposed and collected.
The amounts paid under agreements authorized under the law.
The results of contested violations.
Use of additional revenue funds and any grants awarded from the program.
According to data from Operation Safe Stop 2023, participating school districts and law enforcement agencies reported witnessing 176 violations of the law on one day alone. Operation Safe Stop, held annually in October during School Bus Safety Week, is a school bus enforcement and education initiative aimed at enhancing school bus safety for students across Pennsylvania.

"This program is about increasing the safety of children riding school buses across the state," said PennDOT Secretary Mike Carroll. "Please stop for – and never pass – stopped school buses with their red lights flashing and stop arm extended. The safety of our children is in your hands."

Of the $300 fine assessed to violators under the program, $250 is paid to the school district where the violation occurred; $25 is paid to the primary police department that reviewed the submitted evidence as required by law; and $25 is paid to PennDOT to be used for the School Bus Safety Grant Program.

The School Bus Safety Grant Program can be used to promote and increase school bus safety, education, and training, as well as pay for education, training, and other associated costs related to an individual earning their commercial learner's permit, commercial driver's license, or school bus endorsement for the purpose of driving a school bus in Pennsylvania. Independent school bus contractors, school entities, and municipalities will be eligible to apply for grants from the program. PennDOT will announce the program once it is active.

Act 19 required new regulations be issued for the School Bus Side Stop Signal Arm Enforcement Systems. Temporary regulations were published in the PA Bulletin on Feb. 17.

PennDOT's media center offers social media-sized graphics highlighting topics such as aggressive driving, speeding, distracted driving, and seat belts for organizations, community groups, or others who share safety information with their stakeholders. Visit our website for an animated graphic on the School Bus Stopping Law.

School districts with questions about the program can contact PennDOT at PD-BUS@pa.gov.

For more information on school bus safety, visit www.PennDOT.pa.gov/Safety.

Gnutella

Just brainstorming which PennDOT highways could stand to be expanded to six lanes, and this is what I've come up with:

I-70 from the West Virginia state line to I-79, and from the Pennsylvania Turnpike to the Maryland state line
I-76 from the Pennsylvania Turnpike to the New Jersey state line (yep)
All of I-78
I-79 from I-70 to I-376, and from I-90 to PA 5
I-80 from I-380 to the New Jersey state line
I-81 from the Maryland state line to I-78, and from I-80 to the Northeast Extension (north junction)
All of I-83
I-84 concurrent with I-380 (consider truncating I-380)
I-90 from I-79 to I-86
I-99 from U.S. 22 to U.S. 322 (east junction)
I-180 from U.S. 15 (west junction) to U.S. 220 (east junction)
I-279 from U.S. 19 to I-79
I-295 from I-95/the Pennsylvania Turnpike to the New Jersey state line
I-376 from Pittsburgh International Airport to the Pennsylvania Turnpike (east junction) (yep)
I-380 concurrent with I-84 (consider truncating I-380)
I-476 from I-95 to I-76

U.S. 15 from the Pennsylvania Turnpike to PA 581
U.S. 22 from I-78 to PA 33
U.S. 222 from U.S. 30 to U.S. 422 (east junction)
U.S. 422 from U.S. 222 (east junction) to the Pennsylvania Turnpike

Any others that should be added? Any above that aren't needed?

Rothman

Didn't we just have a Fictional thread on this?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.