News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

CA Button Copy

Started by Mergingtraffic, May 24, 2018, 04:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on April 17, 2019, 05:56:10 PM
Just resurrecting this threat as a follower of mine posted over 1000 photos of signage from the Mexican Border of I-5 almost up to LA and it's all new signage.

Is Caltrans replacing it in lightning speed?

Also what's the deal with the exit tabs..why are they in the sign?  When they experimented with exit tabs in the 70s they were above the sign like almost every other state.

A lot of the signage around the state is being replaced, from what I've seen in my area it usually has something to do with an SB1 project.  I would worry too much though there will be a huge swath of Button Copy in the Bay Area for years to come. 

ClassicHasClass

QuoteIs Caltrans replacing it in lightning speed?

Also what's the deal with the exit tabs..why are they in the sign?

I don't think they're necessarily replacing it any faster than they're doing with any other kind of signage. Although it varies from district to district, there is still a lot of button copy out there, even on alignments where it would be very easy to zip out and replace them.

The integrated tabs are probably due to wind issues. At least in the I.E., for example, they'd probably get blown right off the sign after the Santa Anas have barreled through, and I imagine it's cheaper than having to cut out segments or make additional ones.

roadfro

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on April 18, 2019, 07:52:17 AM
QuoteIs Caltrans replacing it in lightning speed?

Also what's the deal with the exit tabs..why are they in the sign?

I don't think they're necessarily replacing it any faster than they're doing with any other kind of signage. Although it varies from district to district, there is still a lot of button copy out there, even on alignments where it would be very easy to zip out and replace them.

The integrated tabs are probably due to wind issues. At least in the I.E., for example, they'd probably get blown right off the sign after the Santa Anas have barreled through, and I imagine it's cheaper than having to cut out segments or make additional ones.

Exit tabs within the sign have been pretty much the standard since Caltrans began the Cal-NExUS exit numbering program circa 2002.

The wind loading explanation has never carried much weight with me, especially since Nevada uses similar sign bridge trusses and has had exit tabs for as long as I can remember. I think Caltrans just wanted to save money with the program by simply replacing sign panels with another of the exact same dimension (easier to design and install).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

ClassicHasClass

QuoteExit tabs within the sign have been pretty much the standard since Caltrans began the Cal-NExUS exit numbering program circa 2002.

There are still some tab-outside signs on CA 110 from the earlier flirtation.

RZF

Unpopular opinion: I actually prefer the reflective signs. They just look so much cleaner and modern-looking. I hate seeing dirty, dingy button copy signs on freeways, especially where I live (Southern California). Most of the button copy writing is brown, possibly from years of smog. Just my two cents...

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: RZF on April 20, 2019, 02:12:15 AM
Unpopular opinion: I actually prefer the reflective signs. They just look so much cleaner and modern-looking. I hate seeing dirty, dingy button copy signs on freeways, especially where I live (Southern California). Most of the button copy writing is brown, possibly from years of smog. Just my two cents...

But when button copy is new it looks really good.  There are a ton of somewhat recent button copy installs around District 6, especially in the Fresno Area on CA 168.  I'm a big fan of the darker shade of green reflective paint the button copy signs used. 

ClassicHasClass

QuoteI hate seeing dirty, dingy button copy signs on freeways, especially where I live (Southern California).

I don't like those either, but in fairness, many of the worst signs are the ones where they were previously enamel and the buttons were glued on. This yields a rather unsatisfactory result compared to preformed letters with integrated reflectors and they look rather better.

bing101

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 17, 2019, 08:42:40 PM
Just resurrecting this threat as a follower of mine posted over 1000 photos of signage from the Mexican Border of I-5 almost up to LA and it's all new signage.

Also what's the deal with the exit tabs..why are they in the sign?  When they experimented with exit tabs in the 70s they were above the sign like almost every other state.

A lot of the signage around the state is being replaced, from what I've seen in my area it usually has something to do with an SB1 project.  I would worry too much though there will be a huge swath of Button Copy in the Bay Area for years to come.

I see Button Copy Mainly on the streets though leading up to freeways for now though in some parts of NorCal though.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: bing101 on April 21, 2019, 04:38:01 PM

I see Button Copy Mainly on the streets though leading up to freeways for now though in some parts of NorCal though.

That's typically where you'll see it but some routes that have newer button copy on the mainline off the top my head included; 198, 41 and 168.   I'm not even really sure if button copy was even removed as an option in the Caltrans MUTCD. 

bing101

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 21, 2019, 04:41:00 PM
Quote from: bing101 on April 21, 2019, 04:38:01 PM

That's typically where you'll see it but some routes that have newer button copy on the mainline off the top my head included; 198, 41 and 168.   I'm not even really sure if button copy was even removed as an option in the Caltrans MUTCD.

Depends on the specifics of a road renovation project?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.