News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

SH 99 Grand Parkway (I-10 West to U.S. 290)

Started by FreewayDan, December 12, 2013, 07:53:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreewayDan

The segment of Grand Parkway from Interstate 10 (Katy Freeway) to U.S. 290 will open before December 21st.  One week befoer the projected opening, some celebratory events, including a 1K to 5K run, will be held on the parkway from 8:00 a.m. to Noon.
http://blog.chron.com/thehighwayman/2013/12/new-segment-of-grand-parkway-about-to-get-a-running-start/

Also on December 21st, the Red Line extension of Houston's Metro LightRail will open up. 
http://www.bing.com/news/search?q=metro+light+rail+houston&FORM=HDRSC6
LEFT ON GREEN
ARROW ONLY

nolia_boi504

New youtube video from TxDOT..."SH 99/ Grand Parkway Segment E: A Time to Stop and Celebrate Success"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT0Dm82-f10&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I'm doing this from my phone so I don't know how do embed.

SPH-L710

nolia_boi504

Here are some pictures of some of the signs on Segment E, from what I assume a participant of the 1K/5K last Saturday took.

The originals were too huge so I posted thumbnails. If you care to view full size, you can go to the source link below and click each picture.

Source

ski-man

Thanks nolia....keep the pics coming. Love seeing the progress from when I lived in Katy.

FreewayDan

LEFT ON GREEN
ARROW ONLY

brad2971

nolia_boi504

Wow! Great find, and awesome footage of the new road!

msubulldog

Quote from: nolia_boi504 on December 16, 2013, 05:54:54 PM
Here are some pictures of some of the signs on Segment E, from what I assume a participant of the 1K/5K last Saturday took.

The originals were too huge so I posted thumbnails. If you care to view full size, you can go to the source link below and click each picture.

Source

Any reason "Franz Rd" is used as a control city for I-10 west, and not San Antonio or even Katy?
"But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it."
Matt 7:14, NLT

nolia_boi504

I haven't seen this personally but I believe this is the exit to the 99 SB feeder as the flyover to 10wb isn't finished yet

SPH-L710

NE2

Eh? Why do you say it's a control city? Most likely it's an exit that leads to two different roads: I-10 west and Franz Road.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

wxfree

The "no cash" sign along with the lack of a "pay by mail" sign seems to mean that a tag is required, which it is.  But I really think they should say that explicitly.  According to the web site, a violation results in a $5 fee for each unpaid toll, added to the toll amount, so that could get pretty expensive if someone drives on the road frequently before the first violation notice comes in.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

nolia_boi504

I drove 99NB from westpark twy to 290 early yesterday and loved it. There's so much open land up there that you can't see anything east/west for miles.

SPH-L710

ski-man

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

nolia_boi504

Quote from: msubulldog on December 20, 2013, 02:58:18 PM
Any reason "Franz Rd" is used as a control city for I-10 west, and not San Antonio or even Katy?

I had some time to kill this afternoon so I drove part of Segment E SB.

I noticed that on the 99 SB side the I-10 WB signs on the Franz Rd exit have been cleared. I'm not sure when it happened but the 99 SB to I-10 WB direct connector is now open. The mainlanes of 99 SB has a single I-10 east/west BGS with control cities of Houston and San Antonio consigned. Each is on a separate sign near the top of the exit ramp as the lanes split to go their respective ways.

SPH-L710

OCGuy81

Trying to look at satellite imagery from Google, and it looks like it's not updated to the complete segment yet.

However, from what I can see in the construction images, was this freeway built without frontage roads?  That's rare for Texas, especially the Houston area, isn't it?

US81

Quote from: OCGuy81 on February 07, 2014, 05:23:47 PM
Trying to look at satellite imagery from Google, and it looks like it's not updated to the complete segment yet.

However, from what I can see in the construction images, was this freeway built without frontage roads?  That's rare for Texas, especially the Houston area, isn't it?

Not for toll roads, at least not the newer ones.

texaskdog

They built 130 south of Austin with frontage roads for 183.  Maybe you can go 85 on the toll roads but on a quiet day you can pretty much do it on the frontage roads too. :)

US81

Quote from: texaskdog on February 07, 2014, 06:07:23 PM
They built 130 south of Austin with frontage roads for 183.  Maybe you can go 85 on the toll roads but on a quiet day you can pretty much do it on the frontage roads too. :)

My understanding is, that where the new toll road "replaced" an existing road, like Toll 45 over Louis Henna in Round Rock, there had to be a non-toll route in place. I explored some of the earlier construction closer to Austin, and there do not seem to be any frontage roads where a road did not already exist. So, there are discontinuous segments of frontage road. After 130 and 183 split, it looks like there is only a short segment of frontage road for 130; the rest of the southern segment to 1-10 has no frontage roads.

I haven't explored the Houston area toll roads, but I presume they were constructed similarly.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.