News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Ability to add to the main aaroads website

Started by hotdogPi, May 12, 2018, 10:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

There should be a way for established members to add to the main aaroads website (i.e. not the forum), given approval from other members.

For example, let's say that hbelkins has enough material to add a KY 80 page. He would add it as a draft, and it would need to be modified if necessary and then approved. Maybe I would fix a few typos in the photo descriptions, vdeane would remove a photo that had a reflection of the car in it (which wasn't noticed initially), and bandit957 and oscar would add some photos that weren't included yet. Then, once 5 people approve after the most recent modification, it gets added. (There would also be an option to reject it, which would be used if the set of photos is nowhere near comprehensive enough, there are too many bad photos, very little or very inaccurate descriptions that can't be fixed without rewriting the whole thing, etc.)

The list of people that can add/edit content or approve it would be whitelisted with about 100-200 people initially, and you would be able to request whitelisting if you aren't whitelisted.

The main obstacle to this seems to be that only the forum has membership, not the main website.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Alps

I have enough trouble adding to my own website!
Wanna volunteer? :D

hbelkins

Alex has asked to use some of my photos on various AA Roads pages in the past. That's plenty good enough for me. And Alps has some of my photos on his site as well. Anyone who wants to use any of my pictures is more than welcome as long as they provide attribution.

I've been adding photos to my Flickr pages, but am woefully behind in adding the links to millenniumhwy.net. I need to do that before I could even think about creating pages for other sites.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

I e-mailed the webmasters a few photos many years ago and they used some of them.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

oscar

Long ago, I contributed many of my photos to AARoads photo collections, including on Nevada's Extraterrestrial Highway (NV 375), and Alaska's Dalton Highway (AK 11 -- that collection has since moved to one of my own websites, and is being updated this weekend). Andy Field was very receptive, and he helped me get the hang of drafting my own web pages.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Beltway

Need Visual Studio dot net to build an interface for external users to create and update webpages.

Who was it on m.t.r that criticised me for not using Visual Studio dot net to build my webpages?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.