News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

1974 Texaco map of Southern New England

Started by jon daly, September 12, 2018, 10:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jon daly

I found this map via the Mass link from NE2's  Historic official state maps online. I get a kick out of seeing old highways that have been renumbered like I-86 and CT-32, but this map also shows locations of Texaco stations near major highways in 1974. I found a local source for oil company maps, but this is the best one I've seen when it comes to listing station locations. Texaco is no longer in the area. I recognize some of these stations as Shell now; others became something else.

http://gis.massdot.state.ma.us/images/historicmaps/texaco_1974.pdf

jp the roadgeek

Couple of interesting things:

1. US 202 was still on its old routing in CT, following what is now CT 302 and duplexing with US 6 to Farmington, where it joined CT 10 for a longer concurrency than the present one.  CT 25 is still shown on the New Milford-Canton route.  On May 1st of that year, ConnDOT CTDOT moved US 202 to its current route and truncated CT 25 accordingly.

2. Interesting there's a BYP US 3 on the proposed Circumferential Highway in Nashua

3. MA 49 is drawn as an expressway when it is 2 lanes undivided.

4.  Some other differences: RI 195 shown on US 6 expressway in the Providence area.  LIE looks like there's an under construction arterial road extension east of Riverhead.  I-391 is a glorified exit ramp.  The existence of the short-lived CT 51 on present US 1 in Old/East Lyme. And always strange to see I-95 passing through downtown Boston instead of following 128
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

bob7374

To bad the Metro Boston map doesn't include an I-95 shield along MA 128 from Canton to Braintree. That is where I first saw I-95 shields on 128 for the short period of time it was routed along what is today's I-93 and up the Northeast Expressway.

Alps

Other interests:
Springfield: Beginning of MA 21 along Sumner Ave.; 57 shown as a freeway straight into 147 (Mill St. is not...)
Boston: I-95 is NOT that far south on 3. It would have joined 3 at the stub by Back Bay and the one Texaco station. 3A appears to have already been truncated off Morrissey, which I thought happened later.
New York (Starting in Albany area): 145/23 concurrency... to where? 687 still shown in Albany, but no other proposed highways, even Relocated 7. NY 154 is dead east of Albany. First I've ever heard of 82A. Stray 6N shield on Taconic. Proposed continuation of the 6/202 four-lane west from 684 to 312... but then what?
New Jersey: Odd choice of random Bergen County routes instead of the 500 series.

Alps

Quote from: bob7374 on September 12, 2018, 11:01:19 PM
To bad the Metro Boston map doesn't include an I-95 shield along MA 128 from Canton to Braintree. That is where I first saw I-95 shields on 128 for the short period of time it was routed along what is today's I-93 and up the Northeast Expressway.
Was I-95 actually signed 128 to 3? That implies that the Southwest was killed before the Northeast.

kurumi

Hartford inset:
* SR 517 and SR 543 are shown
* CT 3 freeway is shown connecting to CT 2 (not true until 1987)

New Haven inset:
* CT 10A shown (this was decommissioned in 1970)

CT statewide:
* CT 309 shown as 305

Otherwise pretty much on point.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

jon daly

Glad you guys liked looking at this. Also in the big map, a proposal to continue I-86 to CT-3 is shown on the I-491 corridor, but that was cancelled in 1973, I don't think that's a big error. Maybe Rand McNally didn't get the news in time.

But it looks like I-95's Exit 89 is missing in Groton and I think that already existed; and I think that the Clarence B SHarp Highway also exited and is absent.

Beltway

Even then nearly the entire Interstate network on that map was complete.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

PHLBOS

Quote from: Alps on September 13, 2018, 12:01:01 AMBoston: I-95 is NOT that far south on 3. It would have joined 3 at the stub by Back Bay and the one Texaco station.
Rand McNally jumped the gun a tad.  It was anticipating a scenario where I-95 through Saugus & Lynn would happen but the Southwest Expressway would not.  Side bar: there were some short-lived I-95 reassurance markers placed along the Central Artery circa 1972 near the Callahan Tunnel (then-US 1 North) interchange.  Roadman posted a pic. of such on another thread some time back.

Quote from: Alps on September 13, 2018, 12:01:01 AM3A appears to have already been truncated off Morrissey, which I thought happened later.
IIRC, Morrissey Blvd. was actually MA C37 (37 outside/south of Boston's city limits) prior to the Southeast Expressway being built (C37 was eliminated & 37 was truncated to its current terminus in Braintree (interchange w/now I-93) following the Expressway's completion circa 1959).  For the first few years following its opening, the Southeast Expressway had no route number for its entire length; MA 3 followed the current MA 203/3A alignment.  MA 3 was moved to the Expressway, from Neponset Circle to the Braintree Split, circa 1962 and the old MA 3 eat of the Expressway became MA 3A.

Quote from: Alps on September 13, 2018, 12:01:29 AM
Quote from: bob7374 on September 12, 2018, 11:01:19 PM
Was I-95 actually signed 128 to 3? That implies that the Southwest was killed before the Northeast.
Both the Southwest Expressway & the Inner Belt were officially killed off roughly two years prior to the extension of the Northeast Expressway.  As Bob mentioned, there were (mostly small) stand-alone I-95 shields (but no direction cardinals) erected between Canton & Braintree.  Such was the likely reason why the I-95 Canton interchange was reconfigured to its current trumpet layout (the then-through I-95 movements would've been the current I-95 North-to-I-93 North (Exit 12) and the I-93 South-to-I-95 South (Exit 1A) ramps).  Apparently, the redesign was already well in the pipeline when the I-95 routing was changed to go around Boston.

At the time, Rand McNally (which Texaco used for their maps) was the only one that gave hint of a then-new (but shortly-defunct), de-facto I-95 routing south of Boston.  IIRC, such was also shown on its companion Boston & Vicinity pages on its similar-vintage road atlases.

Ironically, the main page of that Southern New England map (showing MA/CT/RI) still showed, as proposed, both the southern portion (below the Mass Pike) of the Inner Belt as well as the Southwest Expressway (w/an I-95 marker).

Initial signs of the then-new I-95, I-93, US 1 & MA 1A routings started appearing out in the field circa 1975-1976 and I believe that the 1975 editions of the Rand McNally showed those updates (& deleted all dashed proposed alignments that were killed off).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jon daly

Quote from: Beltway on September 13, 2018, 06:39:55 AM

The biggest missing part was 395/190 from East Lyme Conn. to Leominster Mass..  290 did interrupt that gap in and around Worcester.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jon daly on September 13, 2018, 12:17:17 PM
Quote from: Beltway on September 13, 2018, 06:39:55 AM

The biggest missing part was 395/190 from East Lyme Conn. to Leominster Mass..  290 did interrupt that gap in and around Worcester.
Do keep in mind that I-395 was a 1983 redesignation of an existing highway (CT/MA 52) that didn't happen until many years after the highway was completed.

Yes, I-190 didn't yet exist then either; the same can be said for I-391 and the extensions of both I-495 (between I-95 & MA 24) and MA 25 as well.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jon daly

Oh ,yeah. I vaguely recall when that stretch of the Connecticut Turnpike was still numbered CT-52. Did it need to be upgraded to become an interstate? I know that there are different standards, but I couldn't tell you the difference between the quality of I-84 and CT-2 other than that CT-2 in Glastonbury seems to require frequent repaving.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jon daly on September 13, 2018, 01:57:47 PMOh ,yeah. I vaguely recall when that stretch of the Connecticut Turnpike was still numbered CT-52. Did it need to be upgraded to become an interstate?
Off hand, I don't think so.  Mainly since that stretch was constructed similarly as its southern I-95 stretch.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Rothman

To remember CT 52, I simply remember when I noticed when the I-395 shield replaced the route on BGSes on the Pike as we headed to Spag's in Worcester.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jon daly

One of my uncles lived in Union, Conn. and I heard him mention Spag's from time to time.

jon daly

I'm ogling this map again. I see a few place names in areas I lived that I don't recall ever hearing anyone use. Southwood Acres in Enfield, CT.  Bel Aire Estates in Groton, CT. Also, Annhurst College was in Woodstock, CT, but it closed in 1980.

jp the roadgeek

Just noticed another error in this map: it has CT 66 going to Waterbury on Meriden Rd. When US 6A was decommissioned, CT 322 was extended down to I-84, and CT 66 ended there.  Meriden Rd West of the 322 turnoff became SR 844.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 13, 2018, 09:34:04 AM
Quote from: Alps on September 13, 2018, 12:01:01 AMBoston: I-95 is NOT that far south on 3. It would have joined 3 at the stub by Back Bay and the one Texaco station.
Rand McNally jumped the gun a tad.  It was anticipating a scenario where I-95 through Saugus & Lynn would happen but the Southwest Expressway would not.  Side bar: there were some short-lived I-95 reassurance markers placed along the Central Artery circa 1972 near the Callahan Tunnel (then-US 1 North) interchange.  Roadman posted a pic. of such on another thread some time back.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/94596071@N06/26251887804/in/dateposted-public/
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

ipeters61

To me, what's interesting is that CT-11 is shown to continue all the way to CT-85.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.