News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: roadman65 on June 27, 2019, 11:43:36 AM

Kentucky sign gantry in Arkansas.  I know there are a few of them outside of the Bluegrass State, but to me I find them most intriguing.

Several have shown up along I-49
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

roadman65

I read from Wikipedia that Arkansas has made into law a 75 mph maximum for speed limits on freeways.  If that is true why don't the state implement it anywhere especially on I-49 south of Texarkana?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

MikieTimT

Quote from: roadman65 on July 06, 2019, 12:55:54 AM
I read from Wikipedia that Arkansas has made into law a 75 mph maximum for speed limits on freeways.  If that is true why don't the state implement it anywhere especially on I-49 south of Texarkana?

There has been the ability granted to study and increase the speed limit in rural freeways, but none have happened anywhere in the state.  It was voted on this legislative session overwhelmingly to increase it to 75, but the act hasn't taken effect yet, and the areas that do go up to that will likely be fairly limited and not occur until after a traffic study.  I-30 and I-40 likely will never get that bump because of the sheer number of semis that travel them.  I could see US-67/I-57 in select areas between Jacksonville and its current freeway terminus, and probably I-49 outside of the NWA metroplex.  I haven't had reason to ever travel I-55 north of I-40, but the terrain in that part of the state would be conducive to an increase unless the semi volume is higher than I think it is.

sprjus4

Quote from: MikieTimT on July 06, 2019, 02:01:36 AM
I-30 and I-40 likely will never get that bump because of the sheer number of semis that travel them.
Bumps up to 75 mph as soon as you get to Texas. I-40 jumps to 80 mph out west.

The speed limit should reflect the fact most people do 75 - 80 mph and the design speed of the roadway. Not the tractor trailer volume.

US71

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 06, 2019, 02:22:43 AM
I-30 and I-40 likely will never get that bump because of the sheer number of semis that travel them.

The speed limit should reflect the fact most people do 75 - 80 mph and the design speed of the roadway. Not the tractor trailer volume.

But how many will use 80mph speed limit as justification to do 85 or 90? I believe Wyoming has strict tolerance.

sprjus4

Quote from: US71 on July 06, 2019, 10:00:42 AM
But how many will use 80mph speed limit as justification to do 85 or 90? I believe Wyoming has strict tolerance.
It gets to a point where most drivers are comfortable around 80 - 85 mph. Many don't exceed that in my experience.

If the speed limit is 70 mph, drivers do 75 - 85 mph
If the speed limit is 75 mph, drivers do 80 - 85 mph
If the speed limit is 80 mph, drivers do 80 - 85 mph

This is what I see ^

And usually when it's posted at 80 mph, it's safely designed to handle high speeds.

rte66man

I would argue differently for the stretch between Little Rock and West Memphis.  The sheer volume of semis would mean a greater speed differential between the slowest and the fastest. That is what causes wrecks, not the top speed in isolation. I never enjoy driving that stretch like I do from Fort Smith to Little Rock because of that.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

MikieTimT

Quote from: rte66man on July 07, 2019, 08:28:26 PM

I would argue differently for the stretch between Little Rock and West Memphis.  The sheer volume of semis would mean a greater speed differential between the slowest and the fastest. That is what causes wrecks, not the top speed in isolation. I never enjoy driving that stretch like I do from Fort Smith to Little Rock because of that.

As much as I like speeding as much (or better) than the next guy, I have to agree with this.  Governed trucks on the Interstates are a fact of life, and they decide with far too great regularity to pass each other, which seemingly often takes 4-5 miles to accomplish and plugs up the left lane until they do.  Just because something works in Texas doesn't mean that it works elsewhere.  I-40 and I-30 in Texas don't have close to the same amount of traffic that both do in Arkansas, and once you get east of Little Rock, I-40 is downright painful until you get past Memphis. 

Now, if they'd 6 lane I-40 east of Little Rock and ban semis in the leftmost lane, 75 would be groovy in my book.  I'm going to be pushing 80 in the opportunistic spots I can regardless.

Bobby5280

Wasn't there some plan to add a 3rd lane to I-40 in each direction between Little Rock and Memphis? I agree with others: that stretch of I-40 is chronically stuffed with heavy truck traffic. It's plainly visible in Google Earth. The I-55/I-40 multiplex in West Memphis is brutal, even with 3 lanes in each direction.

Also +1 about speed differential between two or more vehicles being a potentially more dangerous factor than a single vehicle driving too fast. Here in Oklahoma I can sort of relax when I'm driving on the turnpikes. When I'm driving on the regular roads around Lawton I'm far more on edge. We have LOTS of people driving 10-20 mph under the posted speed limit, along with others driving 5-10 mph over the limit. The speed differential alone causes a lot of sudden lane changes. Add inattentive driving to the mix (people on their phones while driving, eating, putting on makeup, etc). It all makes for a volatile, dangerous combination.

Quote from: sprjus4It gets to a point where most drivers are comfortable around 80 - 85 mph. Many don't exceed that in my experience.

That's pretty much the deal in these parts. I'll see a few speed demons doing 90 mph or above on the turnpikes from time to time, and then see at least one of them up the road pulled over by OHP. 80mph is about the limit for most folks. Anyone driving a newer vehicle is bound to have in dash displays tracking things like gas mileage. I used to push it a few mph above the speed limit on the turnpikes. But with being able to see my calculated gas mileage going to hell at that speed I've backed off a bit and now usually don't go above 75 mph.

inkyatari

Quote from: Bobby5280 on July 09, 2019, 02:47:18 PMI agree with others: that stretch of I-40 is chronically stuffed with heavy truck traffic.

Connecting 57 to Little Rock should help alleviate some of the traffic, I'd imagine.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Bobby5280

If I-57 was fully completed between Little Rock and Sikeston it would definitely pull a great deal of truck traffic off I-40.

sparker

Quote from: inkyatari on July 09, 2019, 04:19:38 PM
Quote from: Bobby5280 on July 09, 2019, 02:47:18 PMI agree with others: that stretch of I-40 is chronically stuffed with heavy truck traffic.

Connecting 57 to Little Rock should help alleviate some of the traffic, I'd imagine.

IIRC, one of the selling points of the center (Shreveport-Memphis) segment of I-69 was the potential to draw Texas-bound/originating traffic away from I-40's overused LR-Memphis section.  Now -- whether the benefits outweigh the costs (including, of course, the Great River bridge project) is certainly doubtful.  But I-57 NLR-Sikeston, which will probably see completion well before much is done on I-69, should help considerably with traffic to/from Chicago -- or even points east on I-70. 

US71

Quote from: Bobby5280 on July 09, 2019, 04:57:09 PM
If I-57 was fully completed between Little Rock and Sikeston it would definitely pull a great deal of truck traffic off I-40.

One wonders of 57 will be completed first or 6-laning I-40 from Little Rock to West Memphis.

Gordon

Hopefully they will Get this going when they pick the route and start the design of this project.                                                                         100512 Various 67 Walnut Ridge - Missouri State Line (Future I-57) Project Development
39.20 24,000 - TOTAL State 2022

MikieTimT

Quote from: US71 on July 09, 2019, 10:05:30 PM
Quote from: Bobby5280 on July 09, 2019, 04:57:09 PM

One wonders of 57 will be completed first or 6-laning I-40 from Little Rock to West Memphis.

There should not be that many new terrain miles in Arkansas/Missouri to link up I-57, but given the ridiculous amount of drama the states went through for the Bella Vista Bypass funding, I can't help but think that Arkansas would have better luck with 6 laning I-40.  There's some bridgework to be done for sure, but they are already working on a new White River bridge, and I'd almost guarantee that it'll be wide enough for 6 lanes already.  There's still a fair amount of dirtwork in the ricelands to build up for another 2 lanes, and I'm sure a fair amount of bridge/overpass work as well, but they're proposing to extend the half cent sales tax perpetually to fund both of these projects, US-412, and at least a Super-2 of I-49 where it currently isn't as well as throwing some bones to the other areas of the state to make the sale.  I don't know how I feel about perpetually extending the tax, but the Connecting Arkansas Program funded with the sunsetting tax has worked fairly well.  I can't help but think that it's mainly because it was a temporary tax that they were fairly good stewards of the money since there's no way it would be voted on for an extension otherwise, but I think another term of equal length with another sunset would be a better way to go.  Bureaucrats tend to get fat and happy when they don't have to rejustify expenses to the voters, so I don't mind voting on it every decade or so to keep them honest.

sprjus4

Quote from: MikieTimT on July 09, 2019, 10:57:00 PM
they are already working on a new White River bridge, and I'd almost guarantee that it'll be wide enough for 6 lanes already.
That's correct.

Per Parsons...
QuoteThe new bridge will have 18 spans comprising six travel lanes and will provide 321.5 ft of horizontal clearance between the two main river piers and 51.9 ft of vertical clearance above the flow line of the White River channel.

MikieTimT

Quote from: inkyatari on July 09, 2019, 04:19:38 PM

I can't help but think a fairly large chunk of the traffic is Memphis bound/originating since it's such a major freight hub with FedEx, several Class I railroads, trans-modal facilities, and the big muddy river alongside it.  It just doesn't look like the traffic on the map I linked earlier fans out from there to the extent I would expect through traffic to indicate.  Literally more than half the traffic on that stretch of I-40 is trucks, and the counts are already over 31000 for every single segment between LR and Memphis when I checked AADTs, so that's a crap-ton of freight rolling through that stretch and lots of rolling roadblocks.  I'm of the mindset that both 6-laning I-40 and linking I-57 are needed at this rate, not to mention inevitable growth over the next couple of decades anyway.  I-69 is a pipe dream in our lifetimes.

capt.ron

Without a doubt, I-40 from the LR metro area to West Memphis needs to be 6 laned, with the "Trucks use right 2 lanes only" enforced. Even going west on I-40 in that area is slow going at times. Going east is far worse. This should be the #1 project for Arkansas with Bella Vista #2 and the completion of I-57 #3.
Regarding I-57 (us 67), the 6 lanes needs to be extended to exit 19. Also, the concrete of US 67 (Future I-57) needs rehabilitation from around mile marker 26 to the new 6 lane section, and from mile marker 33 to 42. The road is buckling big time.
The powers at be passed a gas tax hike in the state, Now it's time for them to get to work!

wdcrft63

Quote from: capt.ron on July 10, 2019, 11:42:22 AM
Without a doubt, I-40 from the LR metro area to West Memphis needs to be 6 laned, with the "Trucks use right 2 lanes only" enforced. Even going west on I-40 in that area is slow going at times. Going east is far worse. This should be the #1 project for Arkansas with Bella Vista #2 and the completion of I-57 #3.
Regarding I-57 (us 67), the 6 lanes needs to be extended to exit 19. Also, the concrete of US 67 (Future I-57) needs rehabilitation from around mile marker 26 to the new 6 lane section, and from mile marker 33 to 42. The road is buckling big time.
The powers at be passed a gas tax hike in the state, Now it's time for them to get to work!
Are you sure 6 lanes is enough? Better design for expansion to 8.

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: wdcrft63 on July 10, 2019, 06:37:54 PM
Quote from: capt.ron on July 10, 2019, 11:42:22 AM
Are you sure 6 lanes is enough? Better design for expansion to 8.

The new bridge over the White River is designed for 6 as well as other new smaller bridges. It'll be six in about 30 years time.

splashflash

Quote from: Gordon on June 21, 2019, 12:20:45 PM
The two remaining jobs for Arkansas, county road 34 to Missouri state line and Hwy. 71 interchange Connection to I49 are on the bid list for July 24th this year. Missouri has their part scheduled for spring of 2020. So Arkansas will start those 2 jobs sometime this fall.

A Missouri company will be paid $102 million to complete two sections of the Interstate 49 Bella Vista Bypass in Arkansas.  According to the Northwest Arkansas Council, Arkansas should be able to keep its promise of having the roadway open in 2022.

https://www.nwahomepage.com/news/arkansas-to-spend-over-100-million-on-bella-vista-bypass/

sprjus4

Quote from: splashflash on July 26, 2019, 02:22:01 PM
The two remaining jobs for Arkansas, county road 34 to Missouri state line and Hwy. 71 interchange Connection to I49 are on the bid list for July 24th this year. Missouri has their part scheduled for spring of 2020. So Arkansas will start those 2 jobs sometime this fall.

A Missouri company will be paid $102 million to complete two sections of the Interstate 49 Bella Vista Bypass in Arkansas.  According to the Northwest Arkansas Council, Arkansas should be able to keep its promise of having the roadway open in 2022.

https://www.nwahomepage.com/news/arkansas-to-spend-over-100-million-on-bella-vista-bypass/
Is the super-2 in Arkansas going to be dualized or is it currently being dualized now? I can't imagine it remaining 2-lanes.

Gordon

There is a job going on now that is adding the north bound lanes from Hwy 71 interchange to County road 34. so it will be all interstate standard on the Bella Vista bypass.

mvak36

Have they already awarded the contract? This article says that they just opened the bids.

Quote from: Gordon on July 26, 2019, 06:36:19 PM
There is a job going on now that is adding the north bound lanes from Hwy 71 interchange to County road 34. so it will be all interstate standard on the Bella Vista bypass.

When is that job supposed to be completed?
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

splashflash

Quote from: mvak36 on July 26, 2019, 06:43:00 PM

Have they already awarded the contract? This article says that they just opened the bids.

Construction should begin by November. The company has 90 days from the date the bids are awarded to start work.

The company said it will take about a year to finish the highway and about 700 days to do the interchange, which consists of about 2.7 miles of roadways and bridges.
Quote from: Gordon on July 26, 2019, 06:36:19 PM

When is that job supposed to be completed?
Again, the same article you quoted says completion will be 700 days versus 1000 for the runner-up but lower bid from a second company.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.