News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Chihuahua and copper canyon roads

Started by Jbte, August 06, 2014, 06:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbte

:sombrero: HOLA  :sombrero:

Back in April I made a long road trip to Chihuahua from Zacatecas, Mexico its about 550 miles in distance from capital city to capital city of Chihuahua and Zacatecas. The in between route its all freeways (mostly 4 lanes), lots of views such corn fields, hamish towns, deserts (most of the time) and mountain ranges.

[/url]

I spent one night in Chihuahua city, then the next day the trip continued to Basaseachi Falls, which the entire segment its all rain forest.

Here the segment of the map which includes the places of most of the picture in here...

The first stop was Basaseachi falls, I went in April which the fall was in its lowest point, I mean there were drought so I couln't it splendid fall... but I was lucky to get down the fall, which usually its a closed place. Basaseachi its a national park program, so there are basic services such restrooms, caping sites, market trails, chairs, lookpoints etc..

The first picture It's what you see in the park, its as impressive as like Yosemite in California, huge mountains in sharp valleys.
[/url]

There is the fall... in its lowest point...
[/url]
usually should look like this::::

overall the park has excellent views of other places in the forest, such this bridge
[/url]

Bottom site of the fall (luckily i can stay there only in this time of the year...)
[/url]

Well, back to roads!!! overall Chihuahua sierras roads are in excellent conditions (as it was in April 2014), lots of great views and scenic roads. And guess what?.... nobody use them... you can drive as fast or as you wish to drive, only bypassed a small truck in 80 miles! that's because of the constant propaganda fear of organized crime and insecurity... but now since 2013 the state of chihuahua has been safe (comparing to other years...), I've used a small 2012 Ford Fiesta car
[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

A beautiful lake in the trip...
[/url]

Finally made it to Copper canyon... which some say its deeper and larger than the grand canyon in Arizona...
[/url]

This is our hotel, the room its right next to the edge of the canyon with an impresive overview...
[/url]

There also are some pedestrian bridge across the canyons, which you can see the bottom
[/url]

The view at any time of the day are amazing!
[/url]

[/url]

This is the mexican skywalk, lol, you step over a metallic balcony and you feel dazzled if you look down, it was awesome... better than the grand canyon skywalk in Arizona... even this one is free!
[/url]

A look point where you can see the canyon, with hand rails, something that lacks in grand canyon in US side
[/url]

Also a cable car! that takes you to the other side of the canyon.
[/url]

[/url]

I really recommend you this trip to Chihuahua, great roads, scenery, falls, forests, lakes, towns, cable cars and mucho more to see!...  Also there is a train called CHEPE, which takes you down in the mountains to the pacific ocean, but its too expensive for my budget :wave:

agentsteel53

rad!  this is a section of the world I want to explore more.  I've been to Chihuahua only once - crossed over at Palomas and headed west on highway 2 to Sonora.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

US 41

Mexico overall doesn't sound like it's really all that dangerous (although some parts really aren't that safe), as long as you travel by day. In my lifetime I plan on driving a lot in the US, Canada, and Mexico. There really isn't that much that you can't see in the world that is in North America. Mexican Fed. Highway 16 looks like a pretty cool route to take on Google Maps. I really want to drive it one day. My problem is that I don't have a lot of money yet, so I can't afford to do everything I want to do.

I really wish that the US and Canada would accept Mexican insurance and that Mexico would accept US / Canadian insurance. The import permit / tourist card thing seems like a way to get money from foreigners. I mean you don't need a tourist card and an import permit for the border zone, so it's not like they couldn't just get rid of both all together. The military checkpoints don't seem like a bad idea and I would be fine with Mexico keeping those.

By the way how safe is it to travel MX 24 and MX 45 through that area? Maybe those roads would be a cheaper way to get to the new autopista from Durango - Mazatlan. The only reason I asked is because Chihuahua has a high homicide rate.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

oscar

Quote from: US 41 on September 10, 2014, 04:40:34 PM
I really wish that the US and Canada would accept Mexican insurance and that Mexico would accept US / Canadian insurance.

Major differences between the US/Canada and Mexican legal systems might make it impractical for Mexican insurers to cover US/Canada and vice versa, even if such were allowed (and my impression is that Mexico doesn't allow foreign insurers to offer coverage in its territory).  Even with some jurisdictions like Louisiana whose legal systems have French rather than English roots, the legal environments are much more consistent among the states/provinces/territories than between any of them and Mexico. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

The High Plains Traveler

I took the train from Chihuahua to Los Mochis back in the late 1980s. It skirts the top of the canyon and you can get out and see the canyon from one point, but nothing to the extent you picture here. Great photos.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

kkt

Beautiful country!  Thanks for posting.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.