News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Complete NC 540 Project

Started by wdcrft63, March 27, 2018, 06:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

Quote from: wdcrft63 on June 08, 2018, 05:19:37 PM
Wait: there's something unusual in the design, a "roundabout" or "U-turn" ramp. If you're driving eastbound on NC 540, there's only one exit opportunity. It puts you on a huge circular ramp that has exits to I-40 East, I-42 East, and I-40 West. If you somehow miss all of those exits, the ramp will carry you to NC 540 westbound, so you'll be headed back the way you came! Does anyone have another example of a ramp like this?
New Jersey Turnpike exit 10.

PS: sprawl is fake news.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Mileage Mike

Quote from: wdcrft63 on June 08, 2018, 05:04:56 PM
Quote from: WashuOtaku on June 08, 2018, 09:43:33 AM
Quote from: jcarte29 on June 07, 2018, 10:48:34 PM
That interchange with both I-40 and (Fut) I-42 is gonna be some kind of structural marvel to drive through and around!!

Not really. They are simply overlaying the existing infrastructure with a turbine interchange that NC 540 will use; this already exists in North Carolina with I-85 and I-485 near Concord.

The interchange is a 5-way junction (I-40 both directions, NC 540 both directions, and I-42/US 70 East). The existing trumpet interchange of I-40 with I-42/US 70 will be retained and overlaid with a complicated cloverstack interchange that includes several flyovers but also includes three loop ramps. Here's the plan:
https://xfer.services.ncdot.gov/PDEA/Web/Complete540/final-eis/design-maps/C540_dphm_06.pdf
It's somewhat like a turbine interchange, but not a complete turbine.

That definitely looks pretty cool. I'd drive up to Raleigh and check that out when it's completed and open.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

sprjus4

Wonder what nickname the interchange at I-40 / I-42 / NC-540 will receive. It has to be something, that's definitely one unique design.

goobnav

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 17, 2019, 02:47:12 PM
Wonder what nickname the interchange at I-40 / I-42 / NC-540 will receive. It has to be something, that's definitely one unique design.

The Tarheel Twister, patent pending, :).
Life is a highway and I drive it all night long!

sprjus4

Quote from: goobnav on March 18, 2019, 01:38:26 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on March 17, 2019, 02:47:12 PM

The Tarheel Twister, patent pending, :).
Love it. It will the younger brother to the Mixing Bowl (well, technically not the official "Mixing Bowl") in Northern Virginia with I-95/I-495/I-395.

Chris

Roadsguy

Quote from: The headline
Environmentalists drop objection to I-540

Huh, so it was them keeping it NC 540. :bigass:
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Duke87

I find this outcome fascinating. The groups behind the lawsuit were willing to settle for a bunch of token concessions which... do absolutely nothing to modify the design of the road they filed the lawsuit against.

Though... I suppose it makes sense in a way. Usually, we're used to these types of lawsuits coming from NIMBYs weaponizing environmental review law to do whatever they can to kill a project or at least get it scaled back. In this case, it seems to have been more just a bunch of people concerned more generically over environmental issues who may well have viewed NCDOT agreeing to throw a bunch of money at various things that benefit their cause as a greater victory than stopping the road.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Beltway

Quote from: Duke87 on August 22, 2019, 05:02:35 PM
I find this outcome fascinating. The groups behind the lawsuit were willing to settle for a bunch of token concessions which... do absolutely nothing to modify the design of the road they filed the lawsuit against.

N.C. has patsy RE/T groups.  There is no way that all these beltways would get past those in other states, with all the fits they would be having about creating "suburban sprawl".
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

goobnav

Quote from: Beltway on August 23, 2019, 10:02:20 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on August 22, 2019, 05:02:35 PM

N.C. has patsy RE/T groups.  There is no way that all these beltways would get past those in other states, with all the fits they would be having about creating "suburban sprawl".

Give it time, those fools from up north and out west are trying to infiltrate here but, they are running into significant obstacles, the people who left before them with the opposite mindsets and, getting beat down every time they try bringing the BS elitist mentality outside of the cities.  They are being concentrated in the new gentrified areas of the city centers so, influence has a hard time seeping out to the 'burbs where assimilated yankees now live.  It'll be an interesting next 10 years.

tolbs17

Wish there were no tolls and see much I-40 traffic it will divert off...

sprjus4

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on August 24, 2019, 04:55:23 PM
I'm sure some traffic would certainly use it as a bypass of I-40, especially during peak hours, even with the tolls.

If there was no congestion, I'd likely use I-40 thru, but if there was congestion, I'd use it without question. They accept E-ZPass which makes it easier for someone like me.

tolbs17

Quote from: sprjus4 on August 24, 2019, 05:38:37 PM
I'm sure some traffic would certainly use it as a bypass of I-40, especially during peak hours, even with the tolls.

If there was no congestion, I'd likely use I-40 thru, but if there was congestion, I'd use it without question. They accept E-ZPass which makes it easier for someone like me.
If you have E-ZPass (Or Quick pass, whatever it's called) then you are fine. If you don't have it, they have bill by mail which is more expensive but it's fine if there is massive congestion.

you would be using the tolled part of 147 as well.

It would be nice if they add at least one free lane in each direction for 147 and 540. Or activate tolls on certain times of the day.

Beltway

Quote from: goobnav on August 24, 2019, 07:40:21 AM
Give it time, those fools from up north and out west are trying to infiltrate here but, they are running into significant obstacles, the people who left before them with the opposite mindsets and, getting beat down every time they try bringing the BS elitist mentality outside of the cities.  They are being concentrated in the new gentrified areas of the city centers so, influence has a hard time seeping out to the 'burbs where assimilated yankees now live.  It'll be an interesting next 10 years.

But isn't N.C. now over 50% of its population that are not native born to that state?

(Robert Coté, 2002)

goobnav

Quote from: Beltway on August 24, 2019, 06:54:39 PM
Quote from: goobnav on August 24, 2019, 07:40:21 AM

But isn't N.C. now over 50% of its population that are not native born to that state?

Remember the people that fled the high taxes and ridiculous regulations got here first and in greater numbers. 

jcarte29

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on August 24, 2019, 06:49:32 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on August 24, 2019, 05:38:37 PM

If you have E-ZPass (Or Quick pass, whatever it's called) then you are fine. If you don't have it, they have bill by mail which is more expensive but it's fine if there is massive congestion.

you would be using the tolled part of 147 as well.

It would be nice if they add at least one free lane in each direction for 147 and 540. Or activate tolls on certain times of the day.

As someone who does a lot of cross-state travel (and with a NC Quick Pass) I would definitely use the full southern semi-circle as a By-Pass of Raleigh, tolls be damned.

I recently avoided all of RDU/CH by taking US 421 from I-95 all the way to at least Guilford County, and it was an adequate re-direct to get from Wilmington to Winston-Salem in less than 4 hours.
Interstates I've driven on (Complete and/or partial, no particular order)
------------------
40, 85, 95, 77, 277(NC), 485(NC), 440(NC), 540(NC), 795(NC), 140(NC), 73, 74, 840(NC), 26, 20, 75, 285(GA), 81, 64, 71, 275(OH), 465(IN), 65, 264(VA), 240(NC), 295(VA), 526(SC), 985(GA), 395(FL), 195(FL)

wdcrft63

Groundbreaking today for the Complete 540 project:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-11-13-complete-540-breaks-ground.aspx

Phase 1 from NC 55 to I-40/42 should be complete by 2023.

sprjus4

Moving my previous post on the North Carolina thread to here since this forum is directly about it. It's essentially the same thing wdcrft63 posted about -

Complete 540 Project Breaks Ground

QuoteRALEIGH — Representatives from the North Carolina Department of Transportation, Turnpike Authority and surrounding communities gathered Wednesday afternoon to break ground on the Complete 540 project​. Construction will be completed in phases. The first phase will stretch from N.C. 55 Bypass to I-40, and the second will connect I-40 to U.S. 64/264 Bypass (I-87). This project, when complete, will connect the outer loop around the greater Raleigh area and provide a six-lane expressway that improves mobility and reduces congestion.

"Seeing construction of this critical project begin has been a top priority of so many across the Triangle,"  said Transportation Secretary Jim Trogdon. "This project symbolizes what is achievable when everyone works collaboratively."

Complete 540 will span through seven cities and will stretch 28 miles, extending the Triangle Expressway from N.C. 55 Bypass in Apex to U.S. 64/U.S. 264 (I-87) in Knightdale. The second phase of construction is expected to start in 2029. The estimated cost of the total project is $2.2 billion, which is being financed through toll revenue bonds and a low-interest loan from USDOT.

"The Raleigh area is booming and providing communities with more travel options that give families more time doing what matters most, is what this project is about,"  said J.J. Eden, Executive Director of the Turnpike Authority. "The Triangle Expressway is one of the most technologically advanced roadways in our region. When complete, this roadway will be capable of supporting transportation advancements of the future."

Construction is planned to begin in the median of I-40 on Monday, Nov 18. Residents can receive construction updates by following @NCDOT_Triangle on Twitter or visit ncdot.gov.

The first phase could open to traffic as early as 2023.
Once this first phase to I-40 is completed in 2023, I-40 motorists bound to I-95 South and Wilmington originating west of Raleigh and vice versa will have a fully completed 6-lane interstate-grade 70 mph bypass of the congested I-40 inside the beltway. I'd imagine this opening by 2023 will put the underutilized 6-lane segment currently open between NC-55 and NC-147 to good use, as there will likely be an influx of thru traffic on what now mainly serves as a local route.

The entire project (only part of the project - NC-55 to I-40 - is now under construction, the rest will begin by 2029) will cost $2.2 billion, about $78 million per mile, which is above average for most rural freeway projects in North Carolina. The big difference compared to other rural freeways is that this will have 6 lanes as opposed to 4 lanes, and it does include a large complex interchange with I-40 along with significant right of way impacts, so those are likely factors for the increased costs.

The project is funded through toll revenue bonds and a low-interest loan from USDOT, no tax dollars.

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on November 13, 2019, 07:15:09 PM
The entire project (only part of the project - NC-55 to I-40 - is now under construction, the rest will begin by 2029) will cost $2.2 billion, about $78 million per mile, which is above average for most rural freeway projects in North Carolina. The big difference compared to other rural freeways is that this will have 6 lanes as opposed to 4 lanes, and it does include a large complex interchange with I-40 along with significant right of way impacts, so those are likely factors for the increased costs.
Six lanes versus four lanes typically adds 10-15% to the construction costs for a freeway, assuming that the extra lanes are built in a grassed median area.

The right-of-way on that route is generally rural.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on November 13, 2019, 09:13:15 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on November 13, 2019, 07:15:09 PM
Six lanes versus four lanes typically adds 10-15% to the construction costs for a freeway, assuming that the extra lanes are built in a grassed median area.

The right-of-way on that route is generally rural.
Generally, rural freeways in North Carolina as of late have been constructed with two 12 foot lanes in each direction divided by a 46 ft median, sometimes with 70 ft being used, such as on the upcoming I-73 Rockingham Bypass. The urban loops being constructed around Greensboro and Winston-Salem utilize the same section, along with the US-64 (I-87) bypass constructed outside Knightdale back in 2006, except have 3 lanes each instead of 2 lanes with the 46 ft median. The previous segment of NC-540 built a few years back had a similar section as the other urban loops and US-64 bypass, except had an 80 ft median. The current project between NC-55, I-40, and I-87 is being constructed with a 70 ft median, so it's slightly wider of a footprint than usual, but I wouldn't expect that to add significant cost.

The project will be affecting 744 properties, with 281 total displacements. The right of way cost estimate is $250 million.

About 70 acres of wetlands and 39 ponds will be impacted, and cross 140 streams, including the Neuse River.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

tolbs17

orulz

I don't think "complete 540" is going to be effective at reducing traffic on I-40. Uncongested trip times for through drivers will be significantly shorter on I-40, since I-40 is quite a bit shorter. So given that it is a toll road that will cost money to use, through traffic will only use it as a bypass when I-40 is significantly congested - meaning no relief of congestion on I-40.

It *will* provide an effective cutoff route for drivers heading between Pittsboro on US64 or Sanford on US1, and Wilmington on I-40 or Selma/Goldsboro/etc on I-42, but I don't think that will be enough to move the needle on I-40 congestion very much.

Make no mistake. The main purpose of this road is to enable sprawl in southern Wake County.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.