News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

You are too old if you remember.......

Started by roadman65, August 17, 2013, 07:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

Quote from: hbelkins on February 19, 2024, 03:25:38 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on February 17, 2024, 02:30:46 PM
I'm thinking that cell phone belt holsters will be slowly gaining in popularity with the younger crowd due to the physical protection that they provide to the phones v pockets.  Those screens are getting expensive to repair!  also the newest cell phones are getting progressively larger in physical size and more unwieldy to carry around.

Mike

Hence the popularity of the Otterbox. They give us an Otterbox with our work-issued iPhones, and I never use them because they are so bulky.

I find the clip tends to increase the phone's exposure to dropping due to twisting in tight corners or when getting in/out of seats, so I haven't used one since 2012. Phones are getting bigger and heavier, but that's just a heft I've gotten somewhat used to. I don't like how they flop around in a pocket when exercising or walking briskly, but have also become used to using to its width for watching videos.

I'd also broken a number of cell phone clips in the past, so getting an Otterbox that lasts three years before coming apart is a trade off.

NWI_Irish96

You are too old if you remember having a checking account at Bank One.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

GCrites

And if you remember the "Banc" fad.

Scott5114

Quote from: GCrites80s on February 24, 2024, 08:36:06 PM
And if you remember the "Banc" fad.

I remember my mom saying she wouldn't ever trust a bank that can't even spell bank correctly.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kkt

I like your mom.  And I guess I'm not too old after all because I have no memory of Bancs or Bank One.

gonealookin

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on February 24, 2024, 07:55:48 PM

I had a Bank One credit card for quite a while.

The Arizona Diamondbacks' stadium in downtown Phoenix was "Bank One Ballpark" initially, often referred to as "The BOB".  JPMorganChase purchased Bank One some years ago and that's why the Diamondbacks play in "Chase Field".

bing101

Quote from: kphoger on February 14, 2024, 12:29:06 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on February 14, 2024, 06:59:04 AM
When cell phones were fastened to your belt as they were way too big to fit inside pockets

My cell phone is currently fastened to my belt.

Quote from: kphoger on January 13, 2021, 11:01:14 AM

Woah it's been 20 years since those phones existed.

kphoger

Quote from: bing101 on February 25, 2024, 10:52:46 AM

What are you talking about?  I bought it brand-new from Verizon in November 2020.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

frankenroad

Quote from: gonealookin on February 24, 2024, 09:21:02 PM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on February 24, 2024, 07:55:48 PM

I had a Bank One credit card for quite a while.

The Arizona Diamondbacks' stadium in downtown Phoenix was "Bank One Ballpark" initially, often referred to as "The BOB".  JPMorganChase purchased Bank One some years ago and that's why the Diamondbacks play in "Chase Field".

I'm ancient then - I had a checking account at City National Bank in Columbus in the late 1970s, before it was re-branded Bank One.  I also worked for Bank One in the late 1990s and had a Bank One checking account then as well.  I left Bank One a few years before the Chase merger.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

GCrites

The Bank One merger is how Jamie Dimon became head of Chase.

kkt

You might be too old if -- at every fuel stop in your car, you write down the odometer reading, how much gas you got, and calculate your MPG for the tank.  Bonus points for using a slide rule to do the division.

Rothman

Quote from: kkt on March 09, 2024, 02:57:53 PM
You might be too old if -- at every fuel stop in your car, you write down the odometer reading, how much gas you got, and calculate your MPG for the tank.  Bonus points for using a slide rule to do the division.
Heh.  If people are still doing that, it's time to go into a home.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Big John

Quote from: Rothman on March 09, 2024, 03:06:45 PM
I have a relative that does that and he gets on my case for not doing it myself.

Rothman

Quote from: Big John on March 09, 2024, 04:30:02 PM
Quote from: Rothman on March 09, 2024, 03:06:45 PM
I have a relative that does that and he gets on my case for not doing it myself.
Put the relative in a home.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kkt

I do write down the odometer and calculate MPG for each tank - but I do the division longhand instead of with a slide rule.
That I can still do the division longhand is evidence that I do not yet belong in a home!

Rothman

Quote from: kkt on March 09, 2024, 05:37:18 PM
I do write down the odometer and calculate MPG for each tank - but I do the division longhand instead of with a slide rule.
That I can still do the division longhand is evidence that I do not yet belong in a home!

Nah, home for you.  Home's are going to be filling up.

bing101

Quote from: kphoger on February 26, 2024, 02:38:08 PM
Quote from: bing101 on February 25, 2024, 10:52:46 AM

What are you talking about?  I bought it brand-new from Verizon in November 2020.
These types of phones used to be common but I get what you mean.

kphoger

For every fill-up, I write the date, the odometer reading, the trip odometer reading (and reset it each time), the gallons (or liters), and then I calculate the fuel economy.

But I do the math using my cell phone's calculator app.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on March 11, 2024, 10:32:32 AM
For every fill-up, I write the date, the odometer reading, the trip odometer reading (and reset it each time), the gallons (or liters), and then I calculate the fuel economy.

But I do the math using my cell phone's calculator app.
Boomer.

kphoger

On the bottom of each fuel log sheet, I also record any maintenance or repairs.

Male pronouns, please.

Rothman

I do keep track of what maintenance has been done on my vehicle.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on March 11, 2024, 11:22:52 AM

With pen and paper?  Boomer.
Male pronouns, please.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on March 11, 2024, 11:24:20 AM
Quote from: Rothman on March 11, 2024, 11:22:52 AM

With pen and paper?  Boomer.
Nah, Excel.

1995hoo

I keep track of fuel economy in a little book I keep in the car because a sudden unexpected change in fuel economy can be a sign of a problem. In a two-line entry I record the date; the price I paid per gallon and the location; the number of gallons, fuel brand, and octane rating; the trip meter and main odometer readings; and the average mpg and mph the car recorded for that tank. The reason for noting the location is primarily to have a note if I wind up buying bad gas so I know which station to avoid.

For example (this is all made-up because I was driving a rental EV on the date indicated):

01-13-24                  10.234 Chevron 93    21 mpg
3.599 Sheridan St      223.9/145,438          23 mph

But I don't qualify as a "boomer," even if I think people my age generally have a lot more in common with people of that generation than we do with people born after, say, 1980.

Regarding keeping track of maintenance, I have a file folder with all the service records going back to when I bought the car (20 years' worth as of this August); I also keep the title in the same folder for ease of locating it, and on the outside of the folder I've handwritten when the timing belt and spark plugs were changed (timing belt twice so far due to the car's age and mileage; spark plugs also twice, once routine and the other due to an engine misfire).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 11, 2024, 11:51:13 AM
I keep track of fuel economy in a little book I keep in the car because a sudden unexpected change in fuel economy can be a sign of a problem. In a two-line entry I record the date; the price I paid per gallon and the location; the number of gallons, fuel brand, and octane rating; the trip meter and main odometer readings; and the average mpg and mph the car recorded for that tank. The reason for noting the location is primarily to have a note if I wind up buying bad gas so I know which station to avoid. ... Regarding keeping track of maintenance, I have a file folder with all the service records going back to when I bought the car (20 years' worth as of this August);

Mine stays in a half-size binder in the glove box (small car) or wedged between the driver's seat and the center console (big car).  But I don't care what price per gallon I paid at the pump, as I never have any reason to look back at that.  The location might be handy, but only if I'm trying to figure out if something was local driving or a long-distance trip;  I can typically deduce that by looking at the dates, because two fill-ups on the same day is a dead give-away.

I find it handier to keep maintenance dates in the car instead of at home, because I commonly want to figure out how long it's been since the last oil change, what month I had something replaced, etc, while I'm away from home.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.