News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skluth

I've probably watched more YouTube this week than I have in a while but it's thanks to Mauna Loa. Lava flows are just cool to watch.

hbelkins

For some reason, the Facebook app on my phone has been suggesting car wreck compilation videos for me recently, and I have been watching some of them. I was surprised to find one of them used a police PIT maneuver on the Mountain Parkway in Powell County that happened a few months ago and went viral in this area.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

7/8

I wish county and country weren't spelled so similar. I misread county as country way too often on this forum. :pan:

kphoger

That there are churches in the USA called 'Episcopal' and ones called 'Anglican'.  I'm so confused...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Takumi

Quote from: kphoger on December 08, 2022, 06:01:21 PM
That there are churches in the USA called 'Episcopal' and ones called 'Anglican'.  I'm so confused...
Didn't they have a schism at some point?
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

When manufacturers quit making, or stores quit carrying, items you frequently use.

1995hoo

Quote from: Takumi on December 08, 2022, 07:32:22 PM

The "Episcopal Church" in the US split off from the Church of England after the American Revolution because the Church of England required clergy to swear allegiance to the British monarch, who is the Supreme Governor of the Church of England. I assume they still require that–the monarch appoints Anglican archbishops and bishops on advice from the Prime Minister, who in turn acts on advice from a church commission.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

JoePCool14

Quote from: skluth on December 07, 2022, 11:42:47 AM
I've probably watched more YouTube this week than I have in a while but it's thanks to Mauna Loa. Lava flows are just cool to watch.

I've probably watched more YouTube this year than any other previously. It's too much and I need to clamp down on my time spent there. Way too much.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 09, 2022, 10:26:44 AM
The "Episcopal Church" in the US split off from the Church of England after the American Revolution because the Church of England required clergy to swear allegiance to the British monarch, who is the Supreme Governor of the Church of England. I assume they still require that–the monarch appoints Anglican archbishops and bishops on advice from the Prime Minister, who in turn acts on advice from a church commission.

Which is why it slightly bothers me that there are also Anglican churches in the USA.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on December 09, 2022, 01:41:58 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 09, 2022, 10:26:44 AM

Which is why it slightly bothers me that there are also Anglican churches in the USA.

I don't know anything about who the clergy are at those parishes, so this is just speculation, but it would be interesting to know whether they are British citizens with lawful permanent resident status in the United States. Alternatively, perhaps the form of the ecclesiastical oath may have changed since the Revolution–maybe they only have to swear allegiance to the monarch with respect to ecclesiastical matters. Certainly there would be a First Amendment problem if anyone tried to prevent the establishment of an Anglican parish in the United States.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 09, 2022, 02:01:33 PM
I don't know anything about who the clergy are at those parishes, so this is just speculation, but it would be interesting to know whether they are British citizens with lawful permanent resident status in the United States. Alternatively, perhaps the form of the ecclesiastical oath may have changed since the Revolution–maybe they only have to swear allegiance to the monarch with respect to ecclesiastical matters. Certainly there would be a First Amendment problem if anyone tried to prevent the establishment of an Anglican parish in the United States.

I've seen more than one that's labeled itself as a charismatic Anglican church.  In fact, I once visited such a church in Glen Ellyn (IL), and it was a Spanish-speaking congregation.

After digging a little more, I found this:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglican_Church_in_North_America

That explains one such church here in Wichita, but not the one in Glen Ellyn, because I visited that back at least twenty years ago.  I also remember that there was a different Anglican church in Glen Ellyn at around the same time–but meeting at the performance hall at College of DuPage (I visited it once as well).
Male pronouns, please.

bulldog1979

Quote from: Takumi on December 08, 2022, 07:32:22 PM
Yes. The Episcopal Church is the original branch of the Church of England in the United States as it organized after the American Revolution, and itt is a member of the worldwide Anglican Communion with connections to the Archbishop of Canterbury in England. The Anglican Church in North America is a schismatic branch that split over issues related to the blessing of same-sex unions and the election of gay clergy, among other issues. ACNA is not a member of the Anglican Communion.

Scott5114

Quote from: hbelkins on December 09, 2022, 09:48:20 AM
When manufacturers quit making, or stores quit carrying, items you frequently use.

At least if the stores quit carrying it, these days you can usually find it online. There is a particular type of Tuna Helper my mom used to make when I was a kid that the stores around here no longer carry. So I just go online and order it by the case.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 09, 2022, 06:29:06 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on December 09, 2022, 09:48:20 AM

At least if the stores quit carrying it, these days you can usually find it online. There is a particular type of Tuna Helper my mom used to make when I was a kid that the stores around here no longer carry. So I just go online and order it by the case.

There was a hell of a transition when I managed a security department which hadn't upgraded from VHS to DVR by 2010.  By then nobody carried 8 hour VHS tapes and you had to special order them from certain suppliers.  The same thing is happening now with analog based CCTV equipment which has been phased out in favor of IP based systems.  Finding analog parts and CDs is getting harder by the year.   I try to replace the analog equipment in certain buildings and my budget allows.

kphoger

When our grocery store was recently renovated, they stopped carrying two items that we get.  (One of which was brand-name Saran wrap, which is the only brand I buy.)  On the same day we discovered this fact, we also saw a sign promoting the renovation that said "More of what you're looking for".  That bothered me.
Male pronouns, please.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: kphoger on December 09, 2022, 06:36:13 PM
When our grocery store was recently renovated, they stopped carrying two items that we get.  (One of which was brand-name Saran wrap, which is the only brand I buy.)  On the same day we discovered this fact, we also saw a sign promoting the renovation that said "More of what you're looking for".  That bothered me.

Ah, yes. Of course, what they meant was "more looking for what you're looking for," not "more product that you're looking for."  :-D
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

ZLoth

It bothers me when I pull up to the drive-up window and see this sign.

Attention:

PLEASE SHOW SOME COMMON COURTESY AND SMOKE AND AIR OUT BEFORE PULLING UP TO ORDER.

IF YOU ARE SMOKING IN THE DRIVE THRU YOU WILL NOT BE SERVED.

THANK YOU MANAGEMENT

I'm not a smoker, and I fully understand the sentiment of management. Some of the stuff being smoked.... wow, just wow! It's just sad that we have to post signs like this to remind certain groups of their manners.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

J N Winkler

Smoking in cars = taking out money and burning it (owing to the effect on resale value).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

Quote from: ZLoth on December 10, 2022, 01:45:22 PM
I'm not a smoker, and I fully understand the sentiment of management. Some of the stuff being smoked.... wow, just wow! It's just sad that we have to post signs like this to remind certain groups of their manners.

The first rule of dealing with the general public is to expect that absolutely nobody has any manners ever.

That said, smoking didn't bother me much when I was running a BK drive thru (I could just close the drive thru window so it wouldn't get in the restaurant). Far more annoying was people with diesel pickup trucks that were so loud you couldn't hear the person over the sound of the engine. And then they'd get shitty with you when you asked them to turn the engine off.

Or people pulling trailers through the drive thru. Our line only had room for four regular cars in it (the building was not originally built as a Burger King; I was told that before we had it, it was a Shoneys, then a Hooters). If someone pulled a trailer through we would have a confusing "dead space" in the line, and of course it would make it more likely that line would back up and block people in the parking lot from leaving.

ZLoth

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 10, 2022, 05:55:48 PM
The first rule of dealing with the general public is to expect that absolutely nobody has any manners ever.

Trust me... I've had my war stories of dealing with the Mac Karens, and have heard my share of retail horror tales.

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 10, 2022, 05:55:48 PMThat said, smoking didn't bother me much when I was running a BK drive thru (I could just close the drive thru window so it wouldn't get in the restaurant).

I have a funny feeling that there was an incident involving something more pungent than the tobacco in regular cigarettes. And, I don't want to know more. :crazy:
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

JoePCool14

The standard for manners in the general public has definitely been trending downward though. Same goes for driving skills. I was out on several highways around Chicagoland this afternoon into evening and there were multiple instances I thought I was going to get hit.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

hbelkins

Quote from: J N Winkler on December 10, 2022, 03:19:20 PM
Smoking in cars = taking out money and burning it (owing to the effect on resale value) (owing to the high cost of cigarettes and their effect on the smoker's health).

Scott5114

Quote from: ZLoth on December 10, 2022, 08:24:46 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 10, 2022, 05:55:48 PMThat said, smoking didn't bother me much when I was running a BK drive thru (I could just close the drive thru window so it wouldn't get in the restaurant).

I have a funny feeling that there was an incident involving something more pungent than the tobacco in regular cigarettes. And, I don't want to know more. :crazy:

Let's just say that the staff of our BK probably wouldn't have had the same issue with that that yours did....

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 10, 2022, 05:55:48 PM

That said, smoking didn't bother me much when I was running a BK drive thru (I could just close the drive thru window so it wouldn't get in the restaurant). Far more annoying was people with diesel pickup trucks that were so loud you couldn't hear the person over the sound of the engine. And then they'd get shitty with you when you asked them to turn the engine off.

Or people pulling trailers through the drive thru. Our line only had room for four regular cars in it (the building was not originally built as a Burger King; I was told that before we had it, it was a Shoneys, then a Hooters). If someone pulled a trailer through we would have a confusing "dead space" in the line, and of course it would make it more likely that line would back up and block people in the parking lot from leaving.

Had a guy in a Big Angry Truck (r) take out the menu board at the McD's I used to work out.

The loud diesel thing was simple: I'd ask you twice, politely, to turn off your vehicle. In the event you did not comply, I would close my eyes, hit 5 or 6 random items, and read you the total. When you got to the window, I'd politely explain that "well, that's all I could hear over the truck."

Had people tell me they couldn't shut them off, too. So what happens when they get home? They just leave it running?

For a small coke.

I'm gonna put the unpopular opinion about that sign. My car, my rules. A person in a fast-food joint doesn't get to tell me what I can and can't do in my own car. That place wouldn't even have to ask me to do this - I'd drive right by it. Smokers pay a LOT in taxes, fees, and whatever else they call them. I'll spend my money where I'm welcomed, or at least, not automatically turned away.

Having been a drive thru worker in the past, I knew this sort of thing was a possibility going in. Seems like other workers would understand this. Common sense dictates that when you deal with people in their personal cars, this sort of thing is going to happen. "suck it up" doesn't quite seem fitting if one's avoiding smoke. Shut the window, or whatever. Know the potentials of your work enviroment before choosing to work there. Just sayin.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 10, 2022, 10:11:33 PM
Quote from: ZLoth on December 10, 2022, 08:24:46 PM

Let's just say that the staff of our BK probably wouldn't have had the same issue with that that yours did....

No BK would have a problem with that. [that stuff] fuels the fast-food industry. I couldn't have handled my job at McD's were it not so. Fast food work is depressing, degrading, dehumanizing work, unless you're the manager doing the degrading and dehumanizing. It was the only way I could deal.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.