News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

There is of course exit 69 Big Beaver Road in Michigan. And KY 420 uses High Street in Frankfort (not sure if there's any way to get a photo with both a route shield and a street sign).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

Quote from: NE2 on April 30, 2011, 12:30:42 AM
There is of course exit 69 Big Beaver Road in Michigan. And KY 420 uses High Street in Frankfort (not sure if there's any way to get a photo with both a route shield and a street sign).

I will have to check next time I am in Frankfort, which will be week after next.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cjk374

Quote from: US71 on April 30, 2011, 12:03:15 AM
Quote from: Master son on July 01, 2009, 12:48:58 PM
I wouldn't call sign that erroneous - I'd call that funny as hell! :-D

Then you'll like this one

Or maybe we need a separate thread for humorous signs? ;)

(insert Beavis & Butthead laughter here)   :hyper:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

74/171FAN

Quote from: cjk374 on May 01, 2011, 11:15:16 AM

(insert Beavis & Butthead laughter here)   :hyper:
It's especially funny since I'm currently in my friends' dorm and the arrow from the sign is pointing right at Johnson Hall  :-D
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

nyratk1

Quote from: cjk374 on May 01, 2011, 11:15:16 AM

(insert Beavis & Butthead laughter here)   :hyper:

Huh huh huh, you said "insert."

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Adam Smith on January 25, 2011, 08:38:46 PM
Just like in 2004...

(with the alluded Oh 3 shield shown)
Took 7 years, but the US 3 shield at Spring-Cleveland (in Columbus) is no more. :-(
One less stop for the C-bus tour in two weeks.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

1995hoo

Is your name Tim? If so, don't park in the hourly "C" garage at Reagan Airport in Virginia:

(When I was a kid, the school I attended from the fourth through sixth grades had a sign out front that said "NO PARIKNG." I never got a picture of it and it was eventually replaced long after I no longer went to school there.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 03, 2011, 03:01:44 PM
Is your name Tim? If so, don't park in the hourly "C" garage at Reagan Airport in Virginia:

A certain enchanter would not be too pleased by this. :P
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Ian

Here is one sign on US 1 southbound I photographed in Westerly, RI a few weeks ago:

The font is obviously off, but the US 1A shield is supposed to be an RI 1A shield.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Quillz

Isn't it also an error to use the black square background on a BGS?

agentsteel53

that is horrific!  why do so many people default to the Arial variants?  that font is terrible.

I don't think I've used Arial (or Helvetica, or Arial Black, or the like) since I was about 6.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 03, 2011, 10:54:39 PM
that is horrific!  why do so many people default to the Arial variants?  that font is terrible.

That's the Rhode Island way!  :pan:
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

NE2

Yeah, for being in charge of such a small state, RIDOT is one of the worst for consistency. http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/ri/ has a whole bunch of photos.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

thenetwork

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 03, 2011, 10:54:39 PM

I don't think I've used Arial (or Helvetica, or Arial Black, or the like) since I was about 6.

That looks like the type of BGS a movie studio would make for a road scene.  Hideous indeed!!!

Jim

I don't think I've seen this one posted (Edit: because I didn't look at the first post in the thread), from I-81 South in Virginia.

The correct Virginia 37 is shown on the older sign closer to the exit point.

Both taken December 26, 2010.  (Edit: so the point of my post is "still there!")

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

FLRoads

Quote from: Jim on May 22, 2011, 03:07:18 PM
I don't think I've seen this one posted, from I-81 South in Virginia.

Ah, and after 41 pages we have finally come full circle!! lol This was the first sign I posted starting this thread long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away... :spin:
If you look at page one it will be there!  No worries in reposting it again though!  :-D

Not surprised that the error has not been fixed either...

hbelkins

The "US 37" sign was still in place in March. I saw (and photographed) it on my way back home from New Jersey.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

national highway 1

The US Shields on the Clearview sign look particularly fugly.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

agentsteel53

Quote from: national highway 1 on May 23, 2011, 01:56:10 AM
The US Shields on the Clearview sign look particularly fugly.

indeed.  the 522 looks to be standard 1970 spec 3dus... the two-digit ones look like someone started with the 3dus blank as seen on the 522, and shrunk it horizontally to 2dus width.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Quillz

I've actually come to not hate the '70 spec US shields as much as I used to. I used to absolutely loathe them, but they're really not that bad. At least when they're done well.

Even with just a simple white background (no black border or anything), I still see pics from time to time with uncentered numerals, horribly stretched out font, etc.

SidS1045

Quote from: PennDOTFan on May 03, 2011, 10:24:21 PM
Here is one sign on US 1 southbound I photographed in Westerly, RI a few weeks ago:

The font is obviously off, but the US 1A shield is supposed to be an RI 1A shield.

That road is posted throughout the state (since it's RI, not saying much) as *US* 1A, most notably at the interchange on the recently rebuilt stretch of I-95 south of downtown Providence.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

1995hoo

I don't have photos of any of them (will try to get some the next time I go to a game), but the DC DOT made a hash of the street signs outside Nationals Park. The street that runs along the first base side is Potomac Avenue (SE on the ballpark side, SW once you cross South Capitol Street away from the ballpark). But the DC people seem not to have any clue about the name. Some of the street signs say "Potomac Ave" with either SW or SE. Some of them say "Potomac St" with either SW or SE. But the worst is the one at the corner of First Street SE. That sign says "Potomac Ave St SE."  :banghead:

There used to be a sign just up the street from there on South Capitol Street that said "Pedestrain Prohibited," but it's gone. Last year I saw a sign in the construction zone on DC-295 that said "Shollder Closed," but I wasn't able to get a picture due to the volume of traffic. I believe that sign is gone now as well.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

WillWeaverRVA

It seems the "pedestrain" bug is spreading, then.

Admittedly, this isn't a road sign, but still... :P
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

NE2

There's a 'stop for pedestrains' right next to the Amtrak station in Providence, RI.

roadman65

http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/fl/us_441/

There are two erroneous signs in this gallery on alpsroads.net  One is a FL 441 shield in Orlando near the old Amway Arena, and the other is the sign for FL 414 Westbound.  The latter is correct, but if you stay straight for another two or so miles on US 441 you will be in ugh Apopka.  Besides if you go WB on FL 414 you will encounter two exits for Apopka: Keene Road and NB FL 429.  The second exit on 414 for Apopka is 429 which leads back to 441 on the other side of Apopka and thus you enter the same place from opposite ends.

Then the Florida's Turnpike sign at Osceola Parkway in Kissimmee is wrong, but FDOT fixed that since the picture was taken also in his gallery. 

The TOLL for Osceola Parkway WB could be interpreted as that considering the actual toll road does not start until Dyer Boulevard two miles west of here.  I am not complaining on this one though, as it still has merit with many tourists in this area, is better to pre-warn than warn.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.