Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

In New Jersey on Highway 35 in Sayreville, the exit for Pine Avenue is signed for Bordentown Avenue when Bordentown is 2 miles ahead at another exit.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

InterstateNG

One of the exits for SR 103 off of Interstate 75 in Bluffton, OH is marked as US 103.  Didn't have my camera ready yesterday, however.
I demand an apology.

vdeane

I was just in the Albany/Schenectady area yesterday and noticed that the DOT has taken to signing NY 890 as I-890.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

okroads

Quote from: okroads on March 31, 2010, 10:45:31 AM
U.S. 59 shield instead of AR 59

I was in this area today, and this sign goof has been corrected with an AR 59 shield.

US71

Quote from: okroads on June 05, 2011, 07:25:23 PM

I was in this area today, and this sign goof has been corrected with an AR 59 shield.

And you didn't call.  tsk   :eyebrow:
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

roadman65

This one here is erroneous on TOLL FL 528 in Belle Isle, FL.  McCoy Road leading to Sand Lake Road is also FL 482 as well!  The FL 482 shield probably should be on top over both roads.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/5802390777/in/photostream
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

thenetwork

Just because some people pronounce it this way doesn't mean you should SPELL it that way, too!!! :banghead:

thenetwork

...And here is said sign again after the ODOT switchboard lit up:

You mean to say they couldn't find any black-on-white or white-on-blue NORTH blade to use to temporarily cover up the oopsie!?!??? :pan:

JREwing78

They were better off leaving the misspelling alone!

NE2

They could have also left the N uncovered.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

cjk374

Desperate times call for desperate measures!   :sombrero:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Anonymity Lane

Hot Rod Hootenanny

So the sign wasn't "fixed" like the ODOT district spokeswoman claimed it was this morning?
QuoteOhio Department of Transportation spokeswoman Jackie Schafer says the contractor fixed the error in the Cleveland suburb of Strongsville yesterday by placing an overlay over the word, with the correct spelling. She tells the Associated Press the contractor will pay to have a new sign made.

The Plain Dealer of Cleveland was first to report about the problem with the sign, on eastbound Rt. 82 at I-71.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

thenetwork

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on June 08, 2011, 10:34:22 PM
So the sign wasn't "fixed" like the ODOT district spokeswoman claimed it was this morning?
QuoteOhio Department of Transportation spokeswoman Jackie Schafer says the contractor fixed the error in the Cleveland suburb of Strongsville yesterday by placing an overlay over the word, with the correct spelling. She tells the Associated Press the contractor will pay to have a new sign made.

The Plain Dealer of Cleveland was first to report about the problem with the sign, on eastbound Rt. 82 at I-71.

Nope -- It's still in Clearview. :rofl:

Michael

Quote from: NE2 on June 08, 2011, 08:32:36 PM
They could have also left the N uncovered.

That would not be possible, because the MUTCD contains the following "standard" statement:
Quote from: MUTCD
The words NORTH, SOUTH, EAST, and WEST shall not be abbreviated when used with route signs to indicate cardinal directions on guide signs.
Chapter 2E.17, Paragraph 4, Page 192

agentsteel53

Quote from: Michael on June 10, 2011, 05:05:03 PM
That would not be possible, because the MUTCD contains the following "standard" statement:
The words NORTH, SOUTH, EAST, and WEST shall not be abbreviated when used with route signs to indicate cardinal directions on guide signs.

actually, it would be allowed, since the MUTCD doesn't say anything about abbreviating the word "NORHT"  :sombrero:

(more practically: in this case, leaving the N instead of entirely covering up the misspelled word would be a more useful temporary fix.)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 10, 2011, 05:57:39 PM
Quote from: Michael on June 10, 2011, 05:05:03 PM

actually, it would be allowed, since the MUTCD doesn't say anything about abbreviating the word "NORHT"  :sombrero:

(more practically: in this case, leaving the N instead of entirely covering up the misspelled word would be a more useful temporary fix.)

Yet another example of how the MUTCD is unnecessarily specific, detailed or anal-retentive (take your pick).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

I don't see how that's too specific or anal-retentive. If you have a random "N" floating around a sign, especially a complex one with multiple shields (which is probably the most likely scenario for abbreviation) it could be difficult at first glance to connect just that single letter to a specific shield and realize it's supposed to be a cardinal direction. In most cases it would be obvious, yes, but I could see ODOT horribly botching it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 12, 2011, 06:54:53 PM
I don't see how that's too specific or anal-retentive. If you have a random "N" floating around a sign, especially a complex one with multiple shields (which is probably the most likely scenario for abbreviation) it could be difficult at first glance to connect just that single letter to a specific shield and realize it's supposed to be a cardinal direction. In most cases it would be obvious, yes, but I could see ODOT horribly botching it.

I think in this case it would've made the most sense.

then again, I'll bet the patch was not applied the way it was because the crew consciously decided that to leave the "N" exposed would violate a particular paragraph and subsection of the MUTCD.  It's most likely that they simply never thought to do so.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

vdeane

This one speaks for itself:
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: deanej on June 14, 2011, 12:36:24 PM
This one speaks for itself:

Awesome.  I remember doing a double-take at that when I was out there last summer. :)

cjk374

^^^  Pardon my ignorance, but is it the wrong directional banner or a wrong shield?

Alex

Quote from: cjk374 on June 14, 2011, 11:27:06 PM
^^^  Pardon my ignorance, but is it the wrong directional banner or a wrong shield?

Error: U.S. 10 is nowhere near New York state.

thenetwork

Quote from: Alex on June 14, 2011, 11:32:21 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on June 14, 2011, 11:27:06 PM

Error: U.S. 10 is nowhere near New York state.

And even if it were, U.S. shields should always be above the state shields.

cjk374

Thanks for the clarification.  Greatly appreciated.   :cheers:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.