News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZDude

At one time in Kingman, Arizona at the intersection of Beverly Ave, and Harrison Street there was a trailblazer shield showing a U.S. 40 sheild instead of an Interstate 40 shield!

However this sign has since been corrected.

deathtopumpkins

Weird-looking US-11 shield in Roanoke, VA. Photo credits to nerdly_dood on Simtropolis, who says that most US route signs in downtown Roanoke look like that.

Never seen one like it before myself...
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

US71

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on February 18, 2009, 06:55:33 PM
Weird-looking US-11 shield in Roanoke, VA. Photo credits to nerdly_dood on Simtropolis, who says that most US route signs in downtown Roanoke look like that.

That's a 1950's/early-mid 1960's square sign before the black background became standard. So I wouldn't call that "erroneous", but "vintage"  ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

deathtopumpkins

Thanks for the answer, though he didn't believe the explanation.  :rolleyes:
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Alex

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on February 18, 2009, 07:17:36 PM
Thanks for the answer, though he didn't believe the explanation.  :rolleyes:

There are many of them still around in Roanoke, and they include state routes as well. I also found a couple more white-box I-581 VA shields of the same vintage.

US71

Quote from: aaroads on February 18, 2009, 08:17:35 PM
There are many of them still around in Roanoke, and they include state routes as well. I also found a couple more white-box I-581 VA shields of the same vintage.

I'll have to get out that way sometime to look.

algorerhythms

I don't know if this one's come up earlier in the thread, but here's one I stumbled onto in Google Street View:

"Pennsylvania Route 40"

WillWeaverRVA

More of an oddity than an error, but nonetheless, TO TOLL TO TOLL SOUTH VA 76:

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

WillWeaverRVA

I didn't get a great photo of it, but on Atlee Road (SR 638) westbound near Meadowbridge Road (SR 627) in Hanover County, there is a "TO I-295" trailblazer that actually takes you away from I-295. To get to I-295, you should have turned right at the intersection with Meadowbridge.

The sign on SR 638

Map of the area
Will Weaver

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Michael

Technically you do get to I-295 by following the sign.  :sombrero:

WillWeaverRVA

That you do, it's just the long way around. :P
Will Weaver

Voyager

Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

ComputerGuy

I already showed that on the 'Funny signs' thread...

EDIT: A wrong-way concurrency:

CG, this is time #6. I though you said you knew how to post images at a custom size? -DTP

cjk374

Several years ago, I-20 was repaved from Simsboro, LA, to Grambling.  I don't know who did it or how, but the milemarkers were put in the wrong places.  This caused the state to renumber Simsboro's exit # from 76 to 77.  Not too long after the project was complete, somebody noticed this, and put the milemarkers back where they belong.  But they have yet to change the exit number back to 76. :confused: 
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

SSOWorld

A cluster of signs on US 53 south show the approaching junction of US 61, US 14 and WIS 16 and the end of US 53, but there are two instances of JCT US 61 on the cluster and no mention of WIS 16.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

74/171FAN

How is a wrong-way concurrency an error(referring to ComputerGuy's I-77/I-81 and US 11/US 52 image) especially if its correct?? :nod:
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Bryant5493

Re: ComputerGuy's "wrong way" concurrency post

I looked at MapQuest a little while back to check out the I-77/81/US 11/52 multiplex. It actually makes sense, in a strange way, although the routes are going due east/west.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

74/171FAN

QuoteI looked at MapQuest a little while back to check out the I-77/81/US 11/52 multiplex. It actually makes sense, in a strange way, although the routes are going due east/west.

The multiplex is going east-west there but throughout VA all four roads are signed north-south  throughout their VA stay :nod:
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

Another VA error that I have posted in two other threads this US 33/US 250 sign was actually right when it was put up before US 33 was truncated.  The view is going SB on N Monroe St. 

signalman

I remember a big goof a few years back by NJDOT.  It was a sign pointing to a NJ state highway, but it was inside PA's keystone.  I first saw it while riding in my friend's car, so I did not have my camera with me.  I went back less than a week later to photograph it, but the sign had already been replaced.  Speaking of NJ, I saw several posts back about a NJ 206 sign, which should be US 206.  There are actually quite a few of those errors along the coridor.  Even though it is incorrect, in NJ's eyes it really isn't because they consider both interstate and US highways state highways.  Meaning, since I-80 is in NJ, they would never make an NJ 80, as an example.

US71

Kansas City, MO

Near Jane, MO

Stilwell, OK

Fixed first image's URL -DTP

WillWeaverRVA

I found this one today. It appears to have been here for at least two years, because it's also on Google Street View.

Will Weaver

deathtopumpkins

:-D

Where is that, around Richmond or Williamsburg? Looks like one of the two.

WillWeaverRVA

Richmond, it's on Laburnum Avenue southbound. I did a double-take when I saw it. :spin:

I looked at it closely, and I don't think there has EVER been a 5 on that VA shield!
Will Weaver

Scott5114

I remember reading about a sign goof in Massachusetts that was big enough to have a newspaper article written about it. There was a need for a state highway marker to be put up and the guy making it flipped to the state highway section of his sign plan book and made the first sign he saw there.

Apparently his book had all the states' diagrams in it, in alphabetical order, because what got made and put up was an Alabama state route marker!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.