News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

T.S. Lee

Started by Alex, August 31, 2011, 09:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

While Tropical Storm Lee is now extratropical, the winds are still playing along coastal areas, and storm surge is a problem on U.S. 90 & 98 across Battleship Parkway. Waters are over the road at Exit 30. The live traffic cam shows it well.

berberry

Yeah, the live cams at mstraffic.com along US 90 are showing the same thing.  It takes quite a bit of wind to produce that kind of white-capping on Mississippi's beaches.  Of course, it was even more dramatic yesterday.

Some of the cameras are still shaking in the wind, particularly on the bridges.

golden eagle

There was some white capping on the Ross Barnett Reservoir. Mike Siedel of the Weather Channel even did a live broadcast from there today. We had almost a foot rain in the Jackson area from Lee. 

froggie

The remnants of Lee...mainly the moisture...has traveled north and resulted in what has been effectively week-long rains in the DC area and points north and south.  Today and tonight, the flooding got bad enough to shut down parts of the DC Beltway, I-95 South, Route 1, GW Pkwy, I-66, US 301, and numerous other roads.  Needless to say, travel has been an outright mess.

1995hoo

Damn....the rain flooded out a commuter car park in Reston, VA, yesterday. I'm told this is near the corner of Wiehle Avenue and Sunset Hills Road.

One of the Washington Post staffers who contributes to Dr. Gridlock's blog used the following very unfortunate wording to describe how Fairfax County is assisting stranded drivers (emphasis supplied):

QuoteThe county will also ferry commuters, on an individual basis, to the Reston Town Center transit station, said Merni Fitzgerald, a Fairfax County spokeswoman.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Now the center of Lee is following I-70 west from Columbus to St. Louis.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

froggie

That's not Lee.  It's an upper level low that existed before Lee.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: froggie on September 10, 2011, 08:58:57 AM
That's not Lee.  It's an upper level low that existed before Lee.
Whatever it is, weather systems don't normally head east-to-west across the United States.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

froggie

Normally, no.  But it's not unheard of, either, and does happen on occasion in the upper levels.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.