News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I49 in LA

Started by rte66man, July 14, 2010, 06:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

I-49 is intended (among other things) to be a hurricane evacuation route from NOLA to points north, so it's absolutely appropriate to be signed N-S. US 90 is signed E-W and runs along I-49 so it can be the E-W highway along the corridor.

codyg1985

Quote from: aboges26 on June 13, 2015, 10:45:43 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on June 13, 2015, 05:44:34 PM
You could change the signed cardinal direction to East-West at some point and then there would be no "wrong way" section.

I agree, the 0 mile point could still be in New Orleans but sign I-49 as east-west between Lafayette and N.O., the world won't stop just because prevailing instances have east-west highways with their 0 mile point in the west.

I-69 switches from N-S to E-W at the northern interchange with its concurrency with I-96, even though it could conceivably stay signed as N-S to I-75 in Flint.  I cannot think of a precedent on the interstate system where an E-W highway has its 0 mile point in the east, but in Ontario the MTO did not hesitate to start 417 in the east.

Don't forget I-75 west of Miami where it is east-west.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

NE2

Quote from: codyg1985 on June 15, 2015, 01:38:28 PM
Don't forget I-75 west of Miami where it is east-west.
Not on most signs.

I-76 in Nebraska is signed north-south.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vtk

Quote from: aboges26 on June 13, 2015, 10:45:43 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on June 13, 2015, 05:44:34 PM
You could change the signed cardinal direction to East-West at some point and then there would be no "wrong way" section.

I agree, the 0 mile point could still be in New Orleans but sign I-49 as east-west between Lafayette and N.O., the world won't stop just because prevailing instances have east-west highways with their 0 mile point in the west.

I cannot think of a precedent on the interstate system where an E-W highway has its 0 mile point in the east

New York State Thruway says hi.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

yakra

Its 0 mile point is in the *south*, is it not? ;)

Yeah yeah, okay, I-90. :D
Though, how are the Albany and Berkshire Spur bits mileposted?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

apjung

IMHO I-49 should be signed E/W from NOLA to Morgan City at the Atchafaylaya River Bridge where signs would mention the change to N/S.

Anthony_JK

Since I-49 South is expected to remain cosigned with US 90 and US 90Z (formerly US 90 Business) for most of its entire length, I'm guessing that the W-E orientation of US 90 will be covered by adding US 90 shields on the highway. Still, I'm guessing that unless they are using US 90 mileposts from south of Lafayette to Westwego, they will simply reset milepost 0 at the Claiborne Ave/I-10/Ponchatrain Expy interchange in NOLA (or, as I call it, the "MBWD" Interchange, as in, Mercedes Benz-WhoDat in honor of the Superdome nearby), and add 143 to the exit counts for existing I-49. Since US 90 is itself a major multistate US highway, I hardly think it will be truncated any time soon.....though I would make a decent case for realigning it on its old route on which is now LA 182/Old Spanish Trail.

bugo

US 90Z? When did this happen? Is the road fully signed as US 90Z?

Anthony_JK

Actually, the Westbank Expressway is currently signed as US 90 Business or US 90B....but in official LADOTD documents, it's designated as US 90Z, with a silent cosign as I-910.

NE2

It's just Anthony being incorrectly anal.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jbnv

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Anthony_JK

Quote from: NE2 on June 18, 2015, 11:25:08 AM
It's just Anthony being incorrectly anal.

I meant a hidden designation as I-910. What the hell ever, NE2.

NE2

"US 90Z (formerly US 90 Business)" is total bullshit.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bugo

Anthony_JK

Quote from: NE2 on June 18, 2015, 10:34:00 PM
"US 90Z (formerly US 90 Business)" is total bullshit.

I'll toss that statement to LADOTD; they made the designation, not me.

NE2

Toss that statement in the rubbish bin. US 90 Business is not former.

Avalanchez71

Why US 90 Business in the first place?

yakra

You lot are tossers. :bigass:
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Anthony_JK

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 19, 2015, 01:58:43 PM
Why US 90 Business in the first place?

Because US 90 was already routed through the Huey P. Long Bridge, Jefferson Highway, Claiborne Avenue, and Broad Street; and some designation was needed for the Westbank Expressway in order to give US highway mileage to the Westbank connection to downtown NOLA.

bugo

Don't get me wrong, I think it's awesome that US 90B exists as a freeway, but wouldn't a bypass US 90 be more appropriate?

codyg1985

Or, just flip the designations around since US 90 Business makes more sense on the route that current US 90 takes?
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

jbnv

Quote from: codyg1985 on June 20, 2015, 09:20:18 AM
Or, just flip the designations around since US 90 Business makes more sense on the route that current US 90 takes?
Or just move US 90 onto the Westbank Expressway, the CCC, the Pontchartrain(?) Expressway and I-10 to Chef Menteur, and decommission the route on the surface streets.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

kendancy66

Quote from: Anthony_JK on June 18, 2015, 07:24:55 AM
Since I-49 South is expected to remain cosigned with US 90 and US 90Z (formerly US 90 Business) for most of its entire length, I'm guessing that the W-E orientation of US 90 will be covered by adding US 90 shields on the highway. Still, I'm guessing that unless they are using US 90 mileposts from south of Lafayette to Westwego, they will simply reset milepost 0 at the Claiborne Ave/I-10/Ponchatrain Expy interchange in NOLA (or, as I call it, the "MBWD" Interchange, as in, Mercedes Benz-WhoDat in honor of the Superdome nearby), and add 143 to the exit counts for existing I-49. Since US 90 is itself a major multistate US highway, I hardly think it will be truncated any time soon.....though I would make a decent case for realigning it on its old route on which is now LA 182/Old Spanish Trail.
What does the Z in US 90 represent?

yakra

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.