News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I49 in LA

Started by rte66man, July 14, 2010, 06:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjk374

Quote from: Alex on November 09, 2016, 08:27:50 AM
Checked in on the LADOTD page for Interstate 49, and noticed that completion of the segment north from I-220 was pushed back from 2016-17:

QuoteI-220 to La. 1, Segments J-K, clearing and grubbing, drainage, embankment and paving — Estimated completion 2017-2018

Part of the push back may be due to the flooding we had back in March when 20+ inches fell in 24 hours (just an opinion). Not to be confused with all the rain that cell in south Louisiana back in August.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on April 09, 2013, 04:52:47 PM
And here's a look at the I-49/MLK interchange:

Google Maps has posted some October 30. 2016 imagery and the MLK interchange is coming right along:

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.5536085,-93.7945357,1752m/data=!3m1!1e3

In addition, a look at the I-220 interchange:

Also, this October, 2016 StreetView imagery gives a good view of the LA 1 bridges.

bassoon1986

Whoa...check out how swollen the Red River was from last year's flooding in that Google Map link!

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on September 09, 2016, 08:40:07 PM
Slow progress on the Shreveport I-49 Inner City Connector ("ICC"). This article reports that Providence Engineering was supposed to present two alternatives to the Northwest Louisiana Council of Governments ("NLCOG") today, but they only eliminated one alternative and four remain

This TV video suggests that the Loop It alternative has been effectively eliminated from consideration, and that a final route should be chosen by next Winter:

Kent Rogers, Exec. Director NWLA Council of Governments ....
Initially there were 5 possible routes for the I-49 connector.
"Build alternatives 1 through 4 were within the Allendale/Ledbetter. Build alternative 5 is the loop it option," says Rogers.
"1 and two principally follow the Pete Harris and Allen Avenue corridor. Build alternative 4 was to the west of that. Build alternative 3 was to the east of that and cut through downtown," says Rogers.
Of those possible routes, Build alternative 3 was removed.
"It was initially developed to minimize the impact to the housing authority property. It's unfortunate that where they built was the portion where the road would have gone. It kind of hampers that, and the way it curved around did other things. It did hit some historical properties, some historic structures, additional park properties.. Of the 4 it has the most impacts," says Rogers.
Along with build alternative 5.
"To utilize the current la 31-32 and 2-20 from its interchange at 20 up to where the new I-49 and 2-20 interchange is under construction now. To bring that up to full interstate standards, to make it a free flow interstate at the inter loop and 49 interchange, the price is astronomical to do that work. You also run into a lot of environmental issues because you have to add additional lanes to cross lake bridge," says Rogers.
Now leaving officials to decide between build alternative 1,2 and 4.

"Alternatives building through verses the loop it option, it's a much shorter distance, provides better and more access into the downtown area, provides a more direct connection between the existing 49 heading south, it will provide a more direct connection to I-49 heading north to Texarkana, Arkansas and ultimately Canada," says Rogers.
A final route should be decided by this coming Winter, which will conclude phase one.

Buck87

Good to hear that the ICC will eventually happen instead of loop it. 

And I see the "New Orleans to Winnipeg" line is still being used to describe the "I-49 project as a whole" in media outlets :rolleyes:

abqtraveler

Quote from: Buck87 on February 07, 2017, 12:27:14 PM
Good to hear that the ICC will eventually happen instead of loop it. 

And I see the "New Orleans to Winnipeg" line is still being used to describe the "I-49 project as a whole" in media outlets :rolleyes:

I'm in Shreveport this week and had a chance to drive the I-220 loop where the I-49 interchange will be.  A lot of progress is being made.  The flyover bridges are taking shape, and it appears that I-49 beyond the interchange is mostly complete, except for the interchange with I-220 itself.  Pavement and BGSs along the future I-49 mainline can be seen off to the left as you head eastbound on I-220 through the interchange construction site.  Looks like maybe late this year or next year we'll be driving on the new stretch of freeway.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Bobby5280

Judging by the new Google Earth imagery it looks like they're leaving stubs for the future I-49 main lanes that will go through the I-220 interchange to the Inter-City Connector.

abqtraveler

Quote from: Bobby5280 on February 07, 2017, 10:07:59 PM
Judging by the new Google Earth imagery it looks like they're leaving stubs for the future I-49 main lanes that will go through the I-220 interchange to the Inter-City Connector.

From what was mentioned earlier in the thread, it looks like the powers that be down here favor blasting I-49 through Shreveport rather than around it on I-220 and LA-3132 (although I personally would use the existing loop to connect both sections of I-49 if I were king for a day).  Doing so might actually be an improvement for the city, since most of the proposed I-49 corridor between I-20 and I-220 looks like a scene out of "The Walking Dead" with lots of urban decay and blight.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Henry

I think it would be a great benefit to the city to have I-49 go through rather than around. I know there are some obstacles that still need to be cleared (namely Allendale), but I know they will get it done eventually.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Bobby5280

I strongly favor the inter city connector option. I think it will improve business in the downtown area. As stated earlier, the "loop it" concept has been rejected due to the costs being even higher than connecting I-49 directly, skirting West of the downtown area.

DNAguy

So just to be clear, upgrading a 7 mile existing grade separated freeway is < expensive than 4-5 miles of new freeway through an existing neighborhood?

I220 north of I20 should already be up to interstate standard, no?

So, again, how is upgrading 3132 more expensive than building a direct connector?

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I find this hard to believe.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: DNAguy on February 08, 2017, 01:26:06 PM
So just to be clear, upgrading a 7 mile existing grade separated freeway is < expensive than 4-5 miles of new freeway through an existing neighborhood?

I220 north of I20 should already be up to interstate standard, no?

So, again, how is upgrading 3132 more expensive than building a direct connector?

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I find this hard to believe.

First off, it's only 3 miles for the ICC, not 4.5.

Secondly, while LA 3132 is freeway standard from I-49 to I-20, it is not Interstate standard. There is the matter of the Linwood Avenue interchange so close to the stack interchange between I-49 and LA 3132. There is the sharp curve just north of the I-20/I-220 (West) interchange that is below Interstate standard. There is the issue of having to modify the I-49/I-220 stack interchange to accommodate transferring through traffic between the western Inner Loop and south I-49. There is the matter of what to do with existing I-49 between the Inner Loop and I-20 if it is removed from the current system. Most important, there is the bridging of I-220 through Cross Lake that would require major reconstruction and widening to 6 lanes to accommodate both "through" I-49 traffic and current and projected I-220 traffic.

By contrast, the ICC has a relatively cheap corridor that is already mostly uninhabited (save for the segment through Allendale), and can easily be incorporated with both the I-220 and I-49 interchanges. It's actually cheaper than what would be needed for the "Loop It" option.

And finally, other than the Allendale housing project interests and the New Urbanists, the overwhelming majority of Shreveport citizens favor the ICC alignment on cost-effectiveness and potential economic growth on its own.

Anthony_JK

One fascinating aspect of the ICC that interests me:

Currently, existing I-49 evolves north of I-20 into a one-way couplet using Allen Avenue southbound and the recently constructed Pete Harris Drive northbound. I'd assume that for the proposed Ford Street interchange, they would use just slip ramps braided with the I-20 connections, but most of the maps currently assume a separate, standalone interchange.

Also, I wonder whether that segment through downtown will be elevated continuously or possibly depressed; would there be a potential to cap the segment through Allendale, and use frontage roads integrating the existing street system for access?

Either way, I'm glad that common sense prevailed and the Loop It alternative was eliminated. Though, I fully expect the lawsuits to fly as soon as the EIS/ROD is completed and CNU/Allendale screams about their fantasies being denied.

Henry

It'll be interesting how the ICC routing takes shape, especially in the areas described above.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

dfwmapper

Quote from: Anthony_JK on February 09, 2017, 05:52:46 AM
Also, I wonder whether that segment through downtown will be elevated continuously or possibly depressed; would there be a potential to cap the segment through Allendale, and use frontage roads integrating the existing street system for access?
Not 100% familiar with the hydrology of the area, but I suspect that the water table is too high for a depressed freeway. Pretty safe bet for most of Louisiana.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: dfwmapper on February 09, 2017, 09:39:44 PM
Not 100% familiar with the hydrology of the area, but I suspect that the water table is too high for a depressed freeway. Pretty safe bet for most of Louisiana.

Definitely for South Louisiana....but not so sure about NW LA.

cjk374

Quote from: Anthony_JK on February 09, 2017, 11:41:03 PM

The water table is deep enough to be able to bury people in cemeteries (compared to the above-ground vaults in South LA cemeteries) but I don't think you can entrench a highway.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Grzrd

Quote from: Alex on November 09, 2016, 08:27:50 AM
Checked in on the LADOTD page for Interstate 49, and noticed that completion of the segment north from I-220 was pushed back from 2016-17:
QuoteI-220 to La. 1, Segments J-K, clearing and grubbing, drainage, embankment and paving — Estimated completion 2017-2018

This article removes 2017 from the equation and places the completion date as Summer 2018:

Federal and state dollars continue to bring LA-1 to Interstate 220, the new portion of I-49. The goal of the Department of Transportation and Development is to have the best impact for thousands of drivers who will use the interstate every day.
If you take a drive through north Shreveport you'll notice the amount of progress that has been made.
However, inclement weather plays a role in construction zone timelines.
The new extension of Interstate 49 has experienced several hiccups due to poor weather conditions. Despite these delays, the Louisiana DOTD Public Information officer, Erin Buchanan assures KTBS that the project is on schedule to be complete on time in the Summer of 2018. 
"There was some delay when we had that historic flooding with the red river in the summer of 2015. We had another round of floods in March of 2016. Those two events affected the timeline somewhat but it's forging ahead" Buchanan said.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: cjk374 on February 10, 2017, 05:40:13 AM

The water table is deep enough to be able to bury people in cemeteries (compared to the above-ground vaults in South LA cemeteries) but I don't think you can entrench a highway.
you can build a tunnel.

US71

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on April 20, 2017, 02:23:38 AM
Quote from: cjk374 on February 10, 2017, 05:40:13 AM

you can build a tunnel.

True. I-10 in Birmingham Biloxi comes to mind. (not awake yet)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jbnv

Quote from: US71 on April 20, 2017, 08:50:53 AM
Quoteyou can build a tunnel.
True. I-10 in Birmingham comes to mind.

It will be news to the people of Birmingham that I-10 passes through their city.  :sombrero:

There are tunnels in Belle Chasse and Houma, two other cities with presumably-high water tables.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

J N Winkler

Quote from: US71 on April 20, 2017, 08:50:53 AMTrue. I-10 in Birmingham Biloxi comes to mind. (not awake yet)

(Slurring) Shurely Mobile?

In regard to the special measures for soils that have very low bearing capacity due to high organic content, waterlogging, and other factors, in the I-49 corridor those end somewhere between Opelousas and Alexandria.  I-49 North is a very conventional design for areas where soil drainage is generally good.  (Besides very long viaducts that begin and end at tiny hillocks since the soil cannot bear heavy surcharges, there is a tendency to use exaggerated camber in fabricating girders for bridges that carry minor roads over the freeway, so that each bridge seems to form a shallow arch over the freeway.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

US71

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 20, 2017, 10:49:21 AM
Quote from: US71 on April 20, 2017, 08:50:53 AMTrue. I-10 in Birmingham Biloxi comes to mind. (not awake yet)

(Slurring) Shurely Mobile?

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

J N Winkler

In fairness, Mobile is fresh in my mind since I was there about three weeks ago and made multiple transits of the Bankhead and George Wallace tunnels.

Returning to I-49, I am not so sure that a high water table doesn't form part of the argument not to put lengths of it in tunnel in southern Louisiana.  I looked at the Wikipedia article on the Sunshine Skyway last night and it seems waterlogged ground is part of the reason a bridge/tunnel combination was rejected as an alternate when replacement of the shipwrecked span was being planned in the early 1980's.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on February 07, 2017, 10:29:04 AM
This TV video suggests that the Loop It alternative has been effectively eliminated from consideration, and that a final route should be chosen by next Winter:
Of the 4 it has the most impacts," says Rogers.
Along with build alternative 5.
"To utilize the current la 31-32 and 2-20 from its interchange at 20 up to where the new I-49 and 2-20 interchange is under construction now. To bring that up to full interstate standards, to make it a free flow interstate at the inter loop and 49 interchange, the price is astronomical to do that work. You also run into a lot of environmental issues because you have to add additional lanes to cross lake bridge," says Rogers.
Now leaving officials to decide between build alternative 1,2 and 4.

The Loop It Alternative lives. This article reports that, at yesterday's meeting of the Northwest Louisiana Council of Governments Transportation Policy Committee, it has come down between Alternative 1 and the Loop It Alternative, with Alternative 1 facing a potential major problem in SWEPCO Park:

During a regular meeting of the Northwest Louisiana Council of Governments meeting Thursday morning, an engineer with Providence Engineering made a presentation to the council that included Shreveport Mayor Ollie Tyler and Bossier City Mayor Lo Walker.
Providence identified Routes 1 and 5 for additional study. Route 5 will use the loop that takes drivers over Cross Lake, while Route 1 would connect I-49 through SWEPCO Park in the Allendale neighborhood.
The engineer said they're waiting on an evaluation of the significance of SWEPCO Park as well as an environmental impact study on both routes before they say they can move forward.
Tyler said during the meeting that the city plans to close the park after it was deemed not in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. The Federal Highway Administration cited SWEPCO Park's location as the reason to reject Route 1. With the park closed, the route could be greenlighted.
In the past, the city government has approved bond issuances for ADA compliance for places like the Riverview Theatre and Barnwell Center downtown ....
A decision on the final route could come as soon as July if Providence finishes its evaluation on time, but it's unlikely a vote will happen until the fall.

Wonder if the Shreveport city government will issue bonds to make SWEPCO Park ADA-compliant?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.