News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I49 in LA

Started by rte66man, July 14, 2010, 06:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

Quote from: US71 on June 10, 2014, 08:23:24 AM
2-Lane roads in Texas are mostly 70 mph, now.

isn't this geographically based?  from what I recall, some counties have a 70mph max, and others a 75mph max, based on population, of all roads that meet a few basic criteria of ruralness, sight lines, etc... and on top of these laws, there are provisions for 80mph and 85mph for certain high-quality roads. 

as one data point: I remember US-62/180 being 75mph for most of its length approaching El Paso in May, 2012, despite being two or occasionally three lanes.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

bugo

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 10, 2014, 04:43:46 PM
Quote from: US71 on June 10, 2014, 08:23:24 AM
2-Lane roads in Texas are mostly 70 mph, now.
isn't this geographically based?

Indeed.

Anthony_JK

Well...another small step ahead for I-49 South today.

LADOTD just announced at their website that they will be constructing the US 90/LA 318 interchange near Four Corners just west of Baldwin/Franklin as a Design/Build project, and they are seeking bidders for a contract for construction to begin no later than June of next year.

Quoting from the press release posted today at the LADOTD website:

JEANERETTE, La. — Today, Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development Secretary Sherri H. LeBas announced plans to move forward with the construction of I-49 South by pursuing a design-build contract for the construction of the U.S.90/La. 318 interchange in St. Mary Parish.

"The completion of I-49 South is a priority for the state,"  said Secretary LeBas. "With the support of Governor Jindal, we're able to pursue innovative ways, such as the design-build method, to move us one step closer to achieving our goal of upgrading U.S. 90 to interstate standards."

Earlier today, DOTD issued a Notice of Intent (NOI) seeking a design-build firm to construct the next section of I-49 South, the U.S. 90/La. 318 interchange in St. Mary Parish. The NOI can be viewed on DOTD's website.

The proposed project includes upgrading the existing U.S. 90 and La. 318 signalized intersection to a full control of access, grade-separated interchange including the reconstruction of the U.S. 90 frontage roads to provide local access to La. 318. As part of the plan, the project would improve connectivity for industrial and freight transport to the sugar mill and port-related industries, as well as increase capacity and improve overall mobility.

The estimated project cost is $55M - $65M and will be funded by a combination of federal and state funds. The contract is expected to be executed in June, 2015 and completed in three years.

The Notice of Intent requesting bidders for the DB project can be found here (PDF document):

The press release also makes note of another "design-build" project along the future I-49 South/US 90 corridor in Lafayette Parish.

Additionally, in December 2013, DOTD announced the winning bid for another I-49 South design-build project in Lafayette Parish. The $57.1 million project will widen U.S. 90 along the U.S. 90/I-49 South corridor from north of Ambassador Caffery Parkway to Albertson's Parkway in Lafayette Parish. The contract was executed in February 2014. The project is estimated to begin construction by the end of this month and completed in three years.

That is the project that will also include the interchange at Albertsons' Parkway/St. Nazaire Road/LA 182, frontage roads extending across LA 182 and the BNSF/UP rail line, and ultimately the South Ambassador Caffery Parkway interchange (although the latter will be a seperate standalone project with its own funding).

Slowly, but steadily...

jbnv

Quote from: Anthony_JK on July 07, 2014, 10:41:06 AM
The press release also makes note of another "design-build" project along the future I-49 South/US 90 corridor in Lafayette Parish.

Additionally, in December 2013, DOTD announced the winning bid for another I-49 South design-build project in Lafayette Parish. The $57.1 million project will widen U.S. 90 along the U.S. 90/I-49 South corridor from north of Ambassador Caffery Parkway to Albertson's Parkway in Lafayette Parish. The contract was executed in February 2014. The project is estimated to begin construction by the end of this month and completed in three years.

That is the project that will also include the interchange at Albertsons' Parkway/St. Nazaire Road/LA 182, frontage roads extending across LA 182 and the BNSF/UP rail line, and ultimately the South Ambassador Caffery Parkway interchange (although the latter will be a seperate standalone project with its own funding).

What will this project do with the existing bridges over the rail line and LA 182? Replace them, modify them or leave them alone? Your statement suggests that new bridges will be built for the frontage roads. This seems a bit unnecessary unless they're putting a Texas-style interchange or C/D interchange in there. Also makes me wonder if the Sonic at the Evangeline/Albertsons intersection is doomed.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

mcdonaat

Quote from: jbnv on July 07, 2014, 03:26:41 PM

What will this project do with the existing bridges over the rail line and LA 182? Replace them, modify them or leave them alone? Your statement suggests that new bridges will be built for the frontage roads. This seems a bit unnecessary unless they're putting a Texas-style interchange or C/D interchange in there. Also makes me wonder if the Sonic at the Evangeline/Albertsons intersection is doomed.
Also, what is the deal with the inability to go straight across US 90 from Albertsons to Walmart? You have to turn right, take the St Martinville exit, loop under the bridge, and hit the next left and get back on US 90. However, if you come from Walmart to Albertsons, you can go straight across. Is it because of how close LA 182 is?

Anthony_JK

Quote from: jbnv on July 07, 2014, 03:26:41 PM

The existing US 90 bridges over LA 182/BNSF railroad will be replaced and widened to six lanes; and the frontage roads will cross over the rail line.

The frontage roads will be built within the US 90 ROW, which was originally built to accomodate frontage roads to begin with. And, they will be built ultimately as one-way, Texas-style, to accomodate local traffic and essentially "extend" Evangeline Thruway once the mainline US 90 is converted to freeway.

Here's a mark up of the ultimate setup for this project.

And, here's the markup for the "initial build" Phase 1 of the project, which would build the Albertsons' Parkway interchange first:

mcdonaat

Does anyone have any idea if a sign for Mora/Flatwoods ever existed? Someone mentioned it to me, and I can't point where it was anywhere... maybe on I-49 at LA 490?

bassoon1986

Would Mora have been on an I-49 sign? The community appears to be on Mora Flatwoods Road north and west of LA 8. There's not an exit off 49 that serves it. LA 490 doesn't cross Pierre Bayou to reach it. The Flatwoods exit for LA 8 west has had a green cover-up for years, but I've heard you guess before that Zimmerman may have been the other destination.

mcdonaat

Quote from: bassoon1986 on July 10, 2014, 05:11:54 PM
Would Mora have been on an I-49 sign? The community appears to be on Mora Flatwoods Road north and west of LA 8. There's not an exit off 49 that serves it. LA 490 doesn't cross Pierre Bayou to reach it. The Flatwoods exit for LA 8 west has had a green cover-up for years, but I've heard you guess before that Zimmerman may have been the other destination.
Maybe not on I-49, but on LA 28?

RBBrittain

Quote from: vtk on June 10, 2014, 05:01:47 AM
Quote from: mcdonaat on June 10, 2014, 12:43:41 AM
Quote from: bugo on June 10, 2014, 12:35:58 AM
Quote from: mcdonaat on June 10, 2014, 12:23:33 AM
Well maybe with Texas having US 71 as 70 MPH, and Louisiana having I-49 as 75, it would urge Arkansas to raise their speed limit. Or, if I was Texas or Louisiana, I would move the speed drop to inside our own state lines, and write all the tickets ourselves.

Not gonna happen.  I think it would take an act of the Arkansas state legislature to raise the maximum speed limit in the state to 75, and if that happened then it wouldn't happen just on AR 549.
Does every state require an act of the legislature to raise the speed limit on a road? I know that Texas has some crazy speed limits, and we can't raise the speed of a 2-laner to anything above 55 MPH.

Usually not on any individual road, but most states have statutory maximum speed limits set by law, which the DOT can't override.  If the highest speed limit in a state is 65 MPH, that's probably because the law doesn't allow the DOT to set a higher limit.  It would then indeed require an act of the legislature to increase this maximum speed limit, in order for the DOT to apply a higher speed limit on one or more stretches of road.  But then, depending on the specifics of the law, the DOT could theoretically assign the same higher limit to other roads later without another act of the legislature, so long as those roads are eligible for the higher speed limit as provided by the law.
Not in Arkansas.  State law here gives the Highway Commission complete & total authority to set speed limits on state highways, with no minimum or maximum. (Some statutes seem to set maximum speed limits, but they predate the present law; those are routinely ignored.) The only limit on the Highway Commission's power is where the legislature has set a specific speed limit in later law (i.e., 25 mph in school zones).  Cities & counties cannot set lower limits, though they can petition the Highway Commission to reduce them.

Wayward Memphian

The problem in Arkansas and I guess elsewhere is that 40 and 30 is so truck heavy. It is especially troublesome between LR and Memphis. Traffic will come to near abrupt stops when a governed truck swings into the left lane in front of oncoming, close and faster traffic to pass another governed truck doing a fraction of a MPH slower and take nearly 2 miles to complete it and heaven help the car driver if they are passing two or more. That can happen when two trucks from the same company are the slower ones.

The ASP already allows a defacto speed limit of 75. I have passed a Trooper doing between 75 and 79 (and back when it was 65 mph between 70 and 74) literally hundreds of times and yet to be ticketed on I 40.

Grzrd

In this July 16 News Release, LaDOTD announces that construction has started on the "last mile" of I-49 North, Segment K, and that completion of all of I-49 North is anticipated by "2016/2017":

Today, the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development announced that work on Segment K, the final segment of I-49 North, is underway. Segment K is a one-mile stretch from I-220 to Martin Luther King Boulevard in Caddo Parish.
Construction has been divided into two phases. Phase one, which began in May 2014, includes clearing land, utility relocation, roadway improvements along Martin Luther King Boulevard, and construction of service roads and bridges. The $31.5 million project was awarded to Best Yet Builders.
The second phase will begin this fall. Construction activities will include the I-49/I-220 interchange structures and the other roadways that will tie into Phase 1. The $137.7 million project was awarded to PCL Construction.
The entire $670 million I-49 North Corridor project covers a 36-mile stretch from the Arkansas State line to I-220 in Shreveport. DOTD anticipates the completion of the I-49 North Corridor by 2016/2017.

bassoon1986

Quote from: Grzrd on July 17, 2014, 08:28:35 AM
In this July 16 News Release, LaDOTD announces that construction has started on the "last mile" of I-49 North, Segment K, and that completion of all of I-49 North is anticipated by "2016/2017":

Today, the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development announced that work on Segment K, the final segment of I-49 North, is underway. Segment K is a one-mile stretch from I-220 to Martin Luther King Boulevard in Caddo Parish.
Construction has been divided into two phases. Phase one, which began in May 2014, includes clearing land, utility relocation, roadway improvements along Martin Luther King Boulevard, and construction of service roads and bridges. The $31.5 million project was awarded to Best Yet Builders.
The second phase will begin this fall. Construction activities will include the I-49/I-220 interchange structures and the other roadways that will tie into Phase 1. The $137.7 million project was awarded to PCL Construction.
The entire $670 million I-49 North Corridor project covers a 36-mile stretch from the Arkansas State line to I-220 in Shreveport. DOTD anticipates the completion of the I-49 North Corridor by 2016/2017.

Well, hopefully not the absolute last mile of 49 north in Louisiana. Just those pesky 3-4 miles between I-20 and I-220 now...

Grzrd

In this July 16 News Release, LaDOTD announces that construction has started on the "last mile" of I-49 North, Segment K, and that completion of all of I-49 North is anticipated by "2016/2017"

This article, primarily about the Segment K grubbing work near Shreveport, reports that LaDOTD has completed its section of I-49 North from Hosston to the state line, that Arkansas expects to complete its last four miles to the state line "by August", and that the joint opening might happen in mid-September:

For Gard Wayt, executive director of the I-49 International Coalition, the next hurdles are to get funding for I-49 from Fort Smith to Texarkana in Arkansas, and to finish the last Louisiana segment of I-49 from Lafayette to New Orleans.
"There has been some progress made in that area,"  he said.
I-49 North in Caddo Parish is mostly done, except for the MLK-area work and the last bit to the state line. "It"˜s complete from Highway 1 to the Arkansas line, though it's not open for traffic beyond Hosston," he said.
There's the roughly four-mile stretch on Inner City connector from I-20 to I-220 that is mired in local politics and construction of a housing project in Allendale, as well as other home construction in the central Shreveport neighborhood. Until that's resolved, I-49 traffic will have to use I-20 west to travel north on I-220 to I-49.
"We're ready to go,"  he said. "Arkansas is pushing their contractor on those four miles from Doddridge. They're supposed to be finished by August. The two departments of Transportation are talking about a mid-September opening."

jbnv

Quote from: Grzrd on July 22, 2014, 03:12:19 PM
In this July 16 News Release, LaDOTD announces that construction has started on the "last mile" of I-49 North, Segment K, and that completion of all of I-49 North is anticipated by "2016/2017"

This article, primarily about the Segment K grubbing work near Shreveport, reports that LaDOTD has completed its section of I-49 North from Hosston to the state line, that Arkansas expects to complete its last four miles to the state line "by August", and that the joint opening might happen in mid-September:

For Gard Wayt, executive director of the I-49 International Coalition, the next hurdles are to get funding for I-49 from Fort Smith to Texarkana in Arkansas, and to finish the last Louisiana segment of I-49 from Lafayette to New Orleans.
I-49 North in Caddo Parish is mostly done, except for the MLK-area work and the last bit to the state line. "It"˜s complete from Highway 1 to the Arkansas line, though it's not open for traffic beyond Hosston," he said.
There's the roughly four-mile stretch on Inner City connector from I-20 to I-220 that is mired in local politics and construction of a housing project in Allendale, as well as other home construction in the central Shreveport neighborhood. Until that's resolved, I-49 traffic will have to use I-20 west to travel north on I-220 to I-49.
"We're ready to go,"  he said. "Arkansas is pushing their contractor on those four miles from Doddridge. They're supposed to be finished by August. The two departments of Transportation are talking about a mid-September opening."

We're getting a different message from our resident AHTD employee in the Texarkana thread:
Quote from: AHTD on July 22, 2014, 04:07:42 PM
Current estimates are closer to November. We have, however, begun meeting with our friends at LADOTD to coordinate a ribbon cutting at the state line.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

mcdonaat

Question... With the Youngsville Hwy being a hyphenated route now, would LaDOTD consider making Ambassador Caffery the only interchange to get to Youngsville instead of LA 92-1? Or, would a realignment of 92-1 be in order?

Noticed how close the two intersections are, and the amazing North and West signs, with arrows, and no shields at the roundabouts.

US71

Quote from: jbnv on July 22, 2014, 05:44:48 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on July 22, 2014, 03:12:19 PM

We're getting a different message from our resident AHTD employee in the Texarkana thread:
Quote from: AHTD on July 22, 2014, 04:07:42 PM
Current estimates are closer to November. We have, however, begun meeting with our friends at LADOTD to coordinate a ribbon cutting at the state line.

"What we've got here is failure to communicate"
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Anthony_JK

Quote from: mcdonaat on July 23, 2014, 01:20:27 AM
Question... With the Youngsville Hwy being a hyphenated route now, would LaDOTD consider making Ambassador Caffery the only interchange to get to Youngsville instead of LA 92-1? Or, would a realignment of 92-1 be in order?

Noticed how close the two intersections are, and the amazing North and West signs, with arrows, and no shields at the roundabouts.

The proposal that is currently on the books regarding LA 92/92-1 is to essentially have a "split interchange" using the frontage roads as Texas-style feeders betwen Youngsville Hwy. (LA 92 West/LA 92-1) and a realigned LA 92 East that would connect with existing LA 92 west of Cade.

A profile of the proposal (from the I-49 South LRA-LA 88 FEIS/ROD):

jbnv

Quote from: Anthony_JK on July 23, 2014, 09:30:04 AM

The lower map shows a possible future extension of Young St. (LA 92 to Youngsville). That could be extended to Duchamp Road and provide another route to St. Martinville (via Duchamp Rd. and LA 96).

Anthony_JK

Well...the first phase of completing I-49 South in Lafayette Parish is now underway; today was the groundbreaking ceremony for the start of construction of the upgrade of US 90 from Albertson Parkway to Ambassador Caffery Parkway. This press release from LADOTD has all the details:

http://wwwapps.dotd.la.gov/administration/announcements/Announcement.aspx?key=5551

Some snippage:

BROUSSARD, LA — Today, Department of Transportation and Development (DOTD) Secretary Sherri H. LeBas was joined by state and local officials to kick-off the start of the I-49 South project from Ambassador Caffery to Albertsons Parkway along U.S. 90. The event was held at Billeaud Companies, located in Broussard.

Secretary LeBas said, "This project not only demonstrates DOTD's commitment to completing the I-49 South corridor, but also our continued commitment to improving our state's infrastructure and promoting economic growth."

This $57.1 million project involves widening U.S. 90 to six-lanes from Albertson Parkway to north of Ambassador Caffery, constructing a new overpass over Albertson Parkway and new railroad overpass structures, and frontage roads.

The I-49 South corridor project will facilitate economic growth, improve access, reduce future traffic congestion, and improve connectivity throughout the state's transportation system. Completion of the project will improve the daily commute for workers by decreasing travel time and increasing safety by providing an unhindered flow of traffic. Additionally, these enhancements will allow local governments to evacuate residents easier in the event of a natural disaster.

The state pursued the design-build process to construct the project, which is a particular procurement and contracting method in which the design and construction services are combined and performed by a single entity, "design builder."  

Between this and the start of the design/engineering process for the I-49 Connector portion in Lafayette, things are about to get very busy here.

Gordon

Great to see they have started construction. Let us know how progress is going.

Anthony_JK

In other news regarding I-49 South, LADOTD has now created it's own standalone website dedicated to chronicling the progress of design and construction of the entire 150 mile project.

http://www.geauxsouth49.com/

It's initial use will be to alert the public on the progress of the Albertsons' Parkway-Ambassador Caffery Parkway segment now beginning construction, but will be updated as more segments come into place as well.

jbnv

Quote from: Anthony_JK on August 09, 2014, 11:35:24 PM
http://www.geauxsouth49.com/

That graphic of I-49 tearing up US 90 is hideous. Also, we need a bill banning state agencies from using the word "geaux."

Anthony_JK

Personally, I kinda like "geaux".....makes us Louisianians sound different. Could care less about the logo as long as they build the darn thing, at least close to my lifetime.

jbnv

Quote from: Anthony_JK on August 11, 2014, 11:12:12 AM
Personally, I kinda like "geaux".....makes us Louisianians sound different.

I would hope that our food, music, hospitality and history would be enough to set us apart from the rest of the country. Our habit of coming in low on good things and high on bad things sets us apart in the wrong way. But "eaux"verkill just gets old.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.