News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Bombogenesis

Started by 02 Park Ave, January 03, 2018, 05:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

02 Park Ave

Has anyone along the East Coast experienced a rapidly falling barometer yet today?
C-o-H

jp the roadgeek

Anyone who's over 40 and their aches and pains start acting up can certainly tell you.  Mine haven't yet because we're still up at 30.2 inHg
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

02 Park Ave

Here in South Jersey it has dropped form 30.17 at 6:00 pm to 30.01 at 11:49 pm.  Not that much but still it is dropping.
C-o-H

Hurricane Rex

I've heard it being called a snow hurricane on talk radio because of the pressure drop.

Of course, I live in the Northwest but I feel bad with what you're all going through.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

02 Park Ave

C-o-H

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on January 03, 2018, 11:50:39 PM
Here in South Jersey it has dropped form 1021.7 at 6:00 pm to 1016.3 at 11:49 pm.  Not that much but still it is dropping.

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on January 04, 2018, 06:00:44 AM
1002.7 at 6:00 am

Fixed for me :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

02 Park Ave

It has been forecast to drop down to 950 millibars.
C-o-H

02 Park Ave

997.3 millibars at 1000 hours.
C-o-H

1995hoo

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel is closed due to conditions in the Virginia Beach area.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jp the roadgeek

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

02 Park Ave

995.3 millibars at 1400 hours.
C-o-H

Road Hog

Weather people are always inventing new terminology for the latest big event. This is basically just a big nor'easter.

CNGL-Leudimin

I beg to differ. I've heard the term "bombogenesis" before. See also explosive cyclogenesis.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: Road Hog on January 04, 2018, 05:30:19 PM
Weather people are always inventing new terminology for the latest big event. This is basically just a big nor'easter.
I would say its more the media as bombogenisis has been used before but bomb cyclone, which has been used by some media, isn't a weather term.

Running till I die.

cjk374

But then they (whoever "they" are) have named this "Winter Storm Grayson" like it is a hurricane. Why?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: cjk374 on January 05, 2018, 07:43:41 PM
But then they (whoever "they" are) have named this "Winter Storm Grayson" like it is a hurricane. Why?

That's entirely a Weather Channel "invention" . The NWS and other weather agencies objected to TWC doing this and refuse to use the names. Unfortunately it gained a lot of traction a few years ago when the former mayor of NYC used one of TWC's names as a twitter hashtag and that put the winter storm names into mainstream usage.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 05, 2018, 08:30:36 PM
That's entirely a Weather Channel "invention" . The NWS and other weather agencies objected to TWC doing this and refuse to use the names. Unfortunately it gained a lot of traction a few years ago when the former mayor of NYC used one of TWC's names as a twitter hashtag and that put the winter storm names into mainstream usage.

This whole TWC naming winter "storms" really put me off, especially after the NWS objected. I stopped watching their channel after that BS started (not that I did much watching to begin with, but...)

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 05, 2018, 10:00:57 PM

This whole TWC naming winter "storms" really put me off, especially after the NWS objected. I stopped watching their channel after that BS started (not that I did much watching to begin with, but...)

Hurricanes make sense to name them but winter storms..

You dun goofed TWC. Listen to the NWS.

Running till I die.

CNGL-Leudimin

Then don't come to Europe. We have started to officially name Winter storms :sombrero:.

SSOWorld

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on January 06, 2018, 08:35:31 AM

Then don't come to Europe. We have started to officially name Wind storms :sombrero:.

FTFY  :sombrero: as winter storms are nothing out of the ordinary and pass through very often.  Wind storms in Europe are really only named in some countries (UK, Ireland) - take 'ex-Ophelia' for example.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

02 Park Ave

The Met Office in the UK names winter storms.
C-o-H

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: SSOWorld on January 06, 2018, 12:18:26 PM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on January 06, 2018, 08:35:31 AMThen don't come to Europe. We have started to officially name Wind storms :sombrero:.

FTFY  :sombrero: as winter storms are nothing out of the ordinary and pass through very often.  Wind storms in Europe are really only named in some countries (UK, Ireland) - take 'ex-Ophelia' for example.

And from this year also France, Spain and Portugal have set up a joint list. We already have had Ana, Bruno and now Carmen. A different list from that used in the British Isles, but they are working together to write a single list for all five countries next year.

hotdogPi

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on January 06, 2018, 03:26:06 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on January 06, 2018, 12:18:26 PM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on January 06, 2018, 08:35:31 AMThen don't come to Europe. We have started to officially name Wind storms :sombrero:.

And from this year also France, Spain and Portugal in a joint list. We already have had Ana, Bruno and now Carmen. A different list from that used in the British Isles, but they are working together to write a single list for all five countries next year.

Six countries, right? Why would Andorra be excluded?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on January 06, 2018, 03:27:20 PM
Why would Andorra be excluded?

I can only assume it's because Andorra likes to be different.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: kphoger on January 08, 2018, 01:27:15 PM
Quote from: 1 on January 06, 2018, 03:27:20 PM
Why would Andorra be excluded?

I can only assume it's because no one cares about Andorra likes to be different.

Fixed that for you. :bigass:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.