News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

Quote from: wdcrft63 on November 10, 2019, 06:05:59 PM
Quote from: mrhappy1261 on November 09, 2019, 04:15:43 PM
When the I-795 extension from Goldsboro to I-40 is complete, should that be renumbered to I-495 or I-695? Because it won't be a spur anymore when it gets extended.
True, but keeping the number people know generally outranks a change to conform to the rules. No one is looking to change I-540 into I-640 at Raleigh, although it now connects I-40 on the west to I-87 on the east.

Not only that, but the I-795 number for the extension was written into law by Congress when it became a High Priority Corridor and future interstate in 2015. NCDOT couldn't change it even if they wanted to.

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/planning/national_highway_system/high_priority_corridors/hpcor.cfm

Quote81.   United States Route 117/Interstate Route 795 from United States Route 70 in Goldsboro, Wayne County, North Carolina, to Interstate Route 40 west of Faison, Sampson County, North Carolina.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

sprjus4

Quote from: LM117 on November 10, 2019, 11:39:07 PM
When the I-795 extension from Goldsboro to I-40 is complete, should that be renumbered to I-495 or I-695? Because it won't be a spur anymore when it gets extended.
True, but keeping the number people know generally outranks a change to conform to the rules. No one is looking to change I-540 into I-640 at Raleigh, although it now connects I-40 on the west to I-87 on the east.

Not only that, but the I-795 number for the extension was written into law by Congress when it became a High Priority Corridor and future interstate in 2015. NCDOT couldn't change it even if they wanted to.

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/planning/national_highway_system/high_priority_corridors/hpcor.cfm

Quote81.   United States Route 117/Interstate Route 795 from United States Route 70 in Goldsboro, Wayne County, North Carolina, to Interstate Route 40 west of Faison, Sampson County, North Carolina.
It could get changed, through congressional action. Look at I-73 and I-74. They followed differently paths initially.

WashuOtaku

Holly Springs decided it will maintain a portion of NC 55 between Holly Springs Road to NC 55 Bypass. As a result, NC 55 will replace NC 55 Bypass and the old alignment (that is outside the municipal boundary) will become SR 6107.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/Route%20Changes/2019_10_03.pdf

sparker

Quote from: sprjus4 on November 11, 2019, 01:58:41 AM
Quote from: LM117 on November 10, 2019, 11:39:07 PM

It could get changed, through congressional action. Look at I-73 and I-74. They followed differently paths initially.

Originally it was just I-73; it was to multiplex with I-77 through western Virginia as I-74 was/is planned to do so currently; the section north of Greensboro to Roanoke wasn't in the original mix (the corridor would have multiplexed I-40 between Greensboro & Winston-Salem).   Roanoke interests prompted the "braided" route that is the corridor's legal definition; and some Ohio interests promoted (remember, this is circa 1995-96 or so) an Interstate corridor east of Cincinnati.  The two got tied together via WV/US 52 by King Coal Highway promoters for a true "Frankencorridor".  For better or worse, some roadway promotional efforts are hampered by a short attention span; Ohio, Michigan, and WV are no longer interested, and VA just doesn't want to prioritize their segment(s).  The selection of adjacent numbers only came about with the Ohio effort (74 added at that time as a functional eastern extension of the existing Midwest connector); however, it's (a) written into law and (b) signed in the field in NC, so changing it at this time would be difficult.  But it does illustrate the difference between changing the I-795 number (which has been around for over a decade) and the machinations that led to the 73/74 amalgam.   There, a 2nd parallel section of the corridor was added over much of its length, so a number had to be found for it (the literal interpretation of the HPC 18/20 authorizing language that led to I-69E/C/W in TX came about later;  the concept of 73E and 73W never seemed to materialize).  With I-795, the change would be to address the strictly technical issue of an odd-prefixed 3di terminating at another Interstate at both ends -- most observers, including DOT's who don't want to spend any more $$$$$ than necessary, would consider a renumbering effort just to satisfy a few literalists gratuitous -- and then there's the precedent of I-135, I-780, etc.   The thing's going to be designated I-795 for the foreseeable future. 

LM117

Quote from: sparker on November 13, 2019, 02:38:13 AM
With I-795, the change would be to address the strictly technical issue of an odd-prefixed 3di terminating at another Interstate at both ends -- most observers, including DOT's who don't want to spend any more $$$$$ than necessary, would consider a renumbering effort just to satisfy a few literalists gratuitous -- and then there's the precedent of I-135, I-780, etc.   The thing's going to be designated I-795 for the foreseeable future.

Agreed. Plus, Wayne County (especially Mount Olive) was adamant that the extension would be I-795 and nothing else. Having grew up in Wayne County, you'd be surprised at how much political weight Mount Olive carries, not only with the county Board of Commissioners (which often results in the northern part of the county getting screwed when it comes to non-road related issues), but with the local Congressmen. The Board of Commissioners couldn't care less about anything north of Goldsboro except during elections.

sprjus4

^ I wasn't suggesting I-795 be renamed - quite frankly I have no issues with the numbering - I'm just mentioning it is possible should there be a big push - which currently is nonexistent with the exception of a few people on this forum.

LM117

Apparently, NCDOT time traveled a day forward and opened the new US-17 bypass. :spin:

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-11-13-jones-county-bypass-opens.aspx

And Ocracoke is scheduled to reopen to visitors on November 22.

https://www.coastalreview.org/2019/11/ocracoke-to-reopen-to-visitors-nov-22/

sprjus4

Quote from: LM117 on November 13, 2019, 04:47:37 PM
Apparently, NCDOT time traveled a day forward and opened the new US-17 bypass. :spin:

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-11-13-jones-county-bypass-opens.aspx
And the release date is 11/15, which is Friday, AND includes quotes from tomorrow's speech.

They time-traveled into the future.

So this begs the question, is it open yet or does it not open until tomorrow?

---

"The U.S. 17 Bypass will create better connections between this corridor and the new U.S. 70 Bypass near New Bern,"

Since when is 40 years new? The 30-mile US-70 Bypass opened in 1978-79.

RoadPelican

According to the WITN news website,

the new US 17 bypass of Maysville and Pollacksville is set to open on Thursday 11/14 after an 11 AM Ribbon Cutting Ceremony

the article also mentions that the SW Greenville Bypass will open "sometime next week"

it was first reported by WTIB 103.7 FM last week that the bypass would open on November 21st, now NCDOT is saying that they are "still finalizing details for that highway opening"

sprjus4

Quote from: RoadPelican on November 13, 2019, 10:10:51 PM

the new US 17 bypass of Maysville and Pollacksville is set to open on Thursday 11/14 after an 11 AM Ribbon Cutting Ceremony
Well technically, Maysville's bypass is already 100% open to traffic, and has been for over a year, with all 4 lanes opening in the past few months.

With this opening of the remainder of the Pollocksville bypass, is the section between the two that was merely widened from 2 to 4 lanes - going to have all lanes open, or is still just 2 for the time being? Or have they already been open?

LM117

Quote from: sprjus4 on November 13, 2019, 06:38:04 PM
Quote from: LM117 on November 13, 2019, 04:47:37 PM

And the release date is 11/15, which is Friday, AND includes quotes from tomorrow's speech.

They time-traveled into the future.

So this begs the question, is it open yet or does it not open until tomorrow?

It is and is not open. :bigass:

Mr. ENC

Quote from: RoadPelican on November 13, 2019, 10:10:51 PM

the article also mentions that the SW Greenville Bypass will open "sometime next week"

it was first reported by WTIB 103.7 FM last week that the bypass would open on November 21st, now NCDOT is saying that they are "still finalizing details for that highway opening"

White the Greenville SW Bypass isn't open yet, HwyUS264 Alt/Hwy US 13 has been widened from the bypass back to Frog Level Rd, which means they Hwy is now 4 laned for an additional 2-3 miles (although it has a quick lane drop off at Frog Level they need to redo that intersection). Now if they can 4 lane the hwy back to Farmville that would be nice. They definalty have the room to do it.

LM117

sprjus4

Pollocksville bypass opens Thursday

QuoteAs of 11 a.m. Thursday, drivers were able to access the US 17 bypass between Belgrade and New Bern.

Work on the bypass started in October, 2015, according to NCDOT spokeswoman Lauren Haviland. The road, she said, "will allow for a smoother, safer and less congested ride in Maysville and Pollocksville."

Haviland said a $143 million contract was awarded for the work, and $140 million has been sent, with a few bills still to be paid.

The 16.3 mile highway starts south of Belgrade and ties into the. U.S. 17 bypass around New Bern.

The opening was celebrated at 11 a.m. with NCDOT officials and local members of the community speaking. Among those speaking were Secretary of Transportation Jim Trogdon and Pollocksville Mayor Jay Bender.

Haviland said one of the next projects will be work toward preparing US 70 into interstate by reworking a five mile stretch in James City, replacing intersections with exits and service roads for a distance of five miles.

This work is expected to begin in 2021 and to be completed in 2023.
The US-17 Pollocksville Bypass officially opened to traffic this morning, bypassing the 2-lane US-17 through Pollocksville. The 4-lane freeway is approximately 6 miles long and crosses the Trent River.

LM117

tolbs17

http://prntscr.com/px5z37

When are they going to bring this part up to interstate standards? Because I'm sure it would be needed soon.

sprjus4

Quote from: tolbs17 on November 14, 2019, 09:27:05 PM

When are they going to bring this part up to interstate standards? Because I'm sure it would be needed soon.
All it would involve is a basic shoulder widening, like is occurring on US-264 / I-587.

From a safety standpoint, agree it's needed, but it's not a major priority. It's not designated on any future interstate route.

X99

Quote from: sprjus4 on November 14, 2019, 10:12:00 PM

All it would involve is a basic shoulder widening, like is occurring on US-264 / I-587.

From a safety standpoint, agree it's needed, but it's not a major priority. It's not designated on any future interstate route.
Wait, I thought that section was part of US-264 / I-587.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

sprjus4

Quote from: X99 on November 14, 2019, 11:02:37 PM

That section of the loop is US-264, but the I-587 designation ends once it reaches the SW Bypass interchange. It's not officially designated to travel onto the loop.

It wouldn't make sense either way though. The US-264 designation utilizes the loop to bypass Greenville for thru traffic headed east of the city, but the I-587 designation is specifically an interstate highway between Raleigh and Greenville, having it follow the existing freeway that dumps into a surface boulevard headed to Downtown makes logical sense.

The north-south route will dominantly be NC-11 Bypass, with a US-264 concurrency.

LM117

Quote from: sprjus4 on November 14, 2019, 11:08:14 PM
Quote from: X99 on November 14, 2019, 11:02:37 PM

That section of the loop is US-264, but the I-587 designation ends once it reaches the SW Bypass interchange. It's not officially designated to travel onto the loop.

It wouldn't make sense either way though. The US-264 designation utilizes the loop to bypass Greenville for thru traffic headed east of the city, but the I-587 designation is specifically an interstate highway between Raleigh and Greenville, having it follow the existing freeway that dumps into a surface boulevard headed to Downtown makes logical sense.

The north-south route will dominantly be NC-11 Bypass, with a US-264 concurrency.

There was an attempt to make it part of a future interstate between Kinston and Bethel back in 2016, but it didn't get anywhere.

https://www.congress.gov/114/bills/s3378/BILLS-114s3378is.pdf

The motive behind that brief push was to give the Global TransPark an interstate connection to Hampton Roads (particularly the Port of Virginia).

LM117

LM117

LM117

Lanes on various interstates in the Triangle metro to close overnight next week for overhead sign maintenance.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-11-15-overhead-sign-maintenance.aspx

LM117

Mileage Mike

Speaking of overhead signs, did anyone see that someone somehow climbed onto an overhead sign on 485 in Charlotte to paint graffiti?

https://www.wcnc.com/article/traffic/graffiti-on-i-485-sign-turning-heads-lanes-may-have-to-shut-down-for-removal/275-ec564eae-9024-449d-a982-2e7b1cc68853

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.