News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

MD 122/Security Square Boulevard - rumored plans

Started by TheOneKEA, May 25, 2015, 05:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheOneKEA

I remember reading on the Internet once that Security Square Boulevard (now MD 122 for part of its length) was orginally intended to extend further west, cross the Patapsco River immediately north of I-70 and join the latter at a flying junction positioned at the point where I-70's two carriageways change in elevation west of the river.

I can't think of how/why this would need to be built, either now or then, and it's highly unlikely to be built today. Are there any online resources that describe what the plans are/were for this route? Was this planned back in the early days of I-70N as the 'local' access to outer West Baltimore, allowing the stack ramps to be designed to carry through traffic to points north?

froggie

The 1964 BMATS shows something different, with Security Blvd extending west to a then-proposed north-south arterial.  This arterial would've been east of the river and have an interchange with I-70 about halfway between the river and the Rolling Rd underpass.  To the south, it would've extended to Old Frederick Rd.  To the north, it would've tied into McDonogh Rd at Liberty Rd in Randallstown.

TheOneKEA

Quote from: froggie on May 25, 2015, 07:21:04 PM
The 1964 BMATS shows something different, with Security Blvd extending west to a then-proposed north-south arterial.  This arterial would've been east of the river and have an interchange with I-70 about halfway between the river and the Rolling Rd underpass.  To the south, it would've extended to Old Frederick Rd.  To the north, it would've tied into McDonogh Rd at Liberty Rd in Randallstown.

Interesting! I wonder if that's one of the reasons why the segment of McDonogh Road at I-795 was signed as MD 37. Could that choice of number have been related to this proposed arterial highway?

Alps

Quote from: froggie on May 25, 2015, 07:21:04 PM

I'm a little surprised MD 122 wasn't proposed out to a northern extension of US 29, and especially that the arterial you mention would be on the east side of the river so close to 29. I don't think 29 to the north died that long ago - or was it not yet on the books by '64?

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Alps on May 31, 2015, 12:10:05 PM
I'm a little surprised MD 122 wasn't proposed out to a northern extension of US 29, and especially that the arterial you mention would be on the east side of the river so close to 29. I don't think 29 to the north died that long ago - or was it not yet on the books by '64?

There were at one point plans for U.S. 29 to run north as a sort of western Outer Beltway as far north as Md. 26 (Liberty Road) or even U.S. 140 (Md. 140 now, or more likely, I-795).

I was told by an SHA old-timer that this is why U.S. 29 did not terminate at I-70 (I-70N when the interchange was built), but continued a short distance north to Md. 99. 

it's not insurmountable (I-70 crosses it), but continuing north means spanning the Patapsco River gorge, most of which is a state park, so Section 4(f) applies.  Once in Baltimore County, the land seems to be there to reach Md. 26 and I-795.

I think we are veering to fictional highways, so I will stop there.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

froggie

QuoteI'm a little surprised MD 122 wasn't proposed out to a northern extension of US 29, and especially that the arterial you mention would be on the east side of the river so close to 29. I don't think 29 to the north died that long ago - or was it not yet on the books by '64?

Yes, the Outer Beltway that CP mentioned also appeared in the 1964 BMATS plan.

mrsman

Quote from: TheOneKEA on May 25, 2015, 05:09:02 PM
I remember reading on the Internet once that Security Square Boulevard (now MD 122 for part of its length) was orginally intended to extend further west, cross the Patapsco River immediately north of I-70 and join the latter at a flying junction positioned at the point where I-70's two carriageways change in elevation west of the river.

I can't think of how/why this would need to be built, either now or then, and it's highly unlikely to be built today. Are there any online resources that describe what the plans are/were for this route? Was this planned back in the early days of I-70N as the 'local' access to outer West Baltimore, allowing the stack ramps to be designed to carry through traffic to points north?

If anything it seems to be a way to connect I-70 to the Security Square Mall area.  At this point, I do not see any way of doing that.

bsmart

Quote from: mrsman on June 05, 2015, 02:48:44 PM
Quote from: TheOneKEA on May 25, 2015, 05:09:02 PM

If anything it seems to be a way to connect I-70 to the Security Square Mall area.  At this point, I do not see any way of doing that.

The lack of an easy connection to I-70 has been a problem for the Security Mall area for years.  Back in the mid 70s when I worked as a tech rep for Xerox our depot was near Martins West and it was always a trial to get to I-70 some guys would backtrack to MD-26, some would go down Rolling Road to 40 some would go down Security Blvd (but never when SS was letting out or at lunch time)

Now I live out in Frederick and when I have to go to that area it is always a pain.  I actually turned doen one job because the main office was located in that area.  I told them that was the reason and they admitted it was a major problem in recruiting since many of the people lived 'out west'.  I think that has also been one of the issues that killed Security Square Mall.  When the prosperous upscale shoppers moved out towards Howard and Frederick County the Mall became hard to get to.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.