News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-15, Davis/Weber County

Started by US 89, December 05, 2018, 01:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

Starting next spring, UDOT will begin a $180 million project to extend the I-15 express lanes to the north. The lanes currently extend from US-6 in Spanish Fork to Layton Parkway in Layton, a distance of 72 miles (which I think already makes them the longest HOT lanes in the US). This project will extend them northward to I-84, putting the total length at around 83 miles.

This stretch of I-15 is the last section of I-15 in the greater Salt Lake metro that has never been widened or reconstructed; most of it is still only three lanes each direction, and it definitely needs to be widened. I'm also fairly certain most of the concrete pavement on that segment is from the original construction of I-15 in the 1960s.

According to UDOT, the project will also:
-Replace the Church Street and 200 South bridges over I-15
-Add an auxiliary lane in Layton to improve drivers' ability to maneuver between lanes and reduce congestion
-Widen and improve several structures along I-15
-Install ramp meters at Riverdale Road (SR-26), 650 North (SR-103), and 700 South (SR-193)
-Improve the northbound on- and off-ramps at 5600 South (SR-97)

Project website

US 89

This project now has an official website: http://www.udot.utah.gov/i15express/

Construction is expected to begin this spring (though it hadn't started yet when I was in the area in March) and will likely last through 2020.

It seems like this area is finally getting its turn at needed upgrades and reconstruction, since most recent construction efforts in the Wasatch Front have tended to focus in Salt Lake or Utah County. In the next few years, we'll have the US 89 freeway upgrade and the new West Davis Corridor construction. UDOT is also performing several environmental studies in the area for locations such as Antelope Drive, 5600 South, 1800 North, and SR 193.

edit: image not working

US 89

As this project picks up, I-15 is going to close in Layton for three nights this weekend while the Church Street bridge is being demolished (to be rebuilt later). It dates back to the original construction of I-15 in 1966, and certainly looks that old.

Interestingly, the NBI lists the Gentile Street bridge as the same age as Church and in worse condition, but that's only getting a deck replacement as opposed to a full rebuild.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.