News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Interstate 11

Started by Interstate Trav, April 28, 2011, 12:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: sparker on July 30, 2020, 08:06:39 PM

They probably aren't even programmed right now -- but if the I-11 project proceeds at a reasonable pace, it soon will be on the proverbial radar.  Right now it's a conventional surface-road trumpet with a local access point right on the curve north of the overcrossing.  A trumpet might still work for a permanent interchange, since there will be limited traffic in the "oblique" direction (NB>EB/WB>SB), but the "direct" ramps will need to be high-speed enough to qualify as a system interchange; I've used that interchange and it will require replacement.  Local access can be moved to somewhere on either direction of I-40 or a bit south on I-11.  My preference would be for a standard semi-directional "T", but economics may dictate otherwise.  And since the divided portion of US 93 south of there ends about a mile and a half south of the interchange, it's likely that the completion of that upgrade will be done concurrently with the I-40 interchange. 

I think you could salvage the current interchange in expanding capacity to meet the needs of an interstate facility.  I agree with you the local interchange needs to be moved.  With reengineering of the northern part of the n/b to w/b movement to facilitate a more high speed merge into the w/b lanes, you could keep the existing bridge and make it solely a two-lane structure for the n/b to w/b movement.  A new flyover to connect the w/b to s/b movement would be needed, and you'd also likely need to reengineer the n/b to e/b and e/b to s/b movements with larger radii curves to allow for higher speeds.

sparker

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on August 19, 2020, 01:19:07 AM

They probably aren't even programmed right now -- but if the I-11 project proceeds at a reasonable pace, it soon will be on the proverbial radar.  Right now it's a conventional surface-road trumpet with a local access point right on the curve north of the overcrossing.  A trumpet might still work for a permanent interchange, since there will be limited traffic in the "oblique" direction (NB>EB/WB>SB), but the "direct" ramps will need to be high-speed enough to qualify as a system interchange; I've used that interchange and it will require replacement.  Local access can be moved to somewhere on either direction of I-40 or a bit south on I-11.  My preference would be for a standard semi-directional "T", but economics may dictate otherwise.  And since the divided portion of US 93 south of there ends about a mile and a half south of the interchange, it's likely that the completion of that upgrade will be done concurrently with the I-40 interchange. 

I think you could salvage the current interchange in expanding capacity to meet the needs of an interstate facility.  I agree with you the local interchange needs to be moved.  With reengineering of the northern part of the n/b to w/b movement to facilitate a more high speed merge into the w/b lanes, you could keep the existing bridge and make it solely a two-lane structure for the n/b to w/b movement.  A new flyover to connect the w/b to s/b movement would be needed, and you'd also likely need to reengineer the n/b to e/b and e/b to s/b movements with larger radii curves to allow for higher speeds.

Looks doable; that N-S road that interchanges with I-40 (and 11) west of the system interchange will have to be extended north and east to serve that facility presently accessed by the road that intersects the top of the current trumpet.  But don't put it past ADOT to retain the trumpet format in place of the semi-directional type in the illustration.  For an example of how the through I-11 movement could be optimized within such a format, look at the I-90/I-82 interchange near Ellensburg, WA. 

Sub-Urbanite

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on August 19, 2020, 01:19:07 AM

I don't think you need anything that complex. The Hackberry Road junctions are about 3 miles out from the 40/11/93 interchange. Just use Hackberry as the surface access and build standard diamonds there on both routes, saving the need for new bridges or a new interchange west of 40/11/93.

sparker

Well, the last hurdle before the letting process for the West Kingman I-40/11 interchange is in the rear-view mirror; the EIS was done and finalized, according to the ADOT press release:
https://azdot.gov/projects/northwest-district-projects/us-93-i-40-west-kingman-traffic-interchange-project/final

Of course, as ADOT previously noted, only the SB11>EB40 and WB40>NB11 portion of the interchange will be initially constructed to effect the I-11 continuation; the missing movements will be ostensibly added later when additional funding is identified.  The "auto repair row" section of Beale, current US 93, will serve as the connector for those movements in the meantime. 

Bobby5280

Hopefully ADOT will at least secure the ROW needed for the EB40>NB11 and SB11>WB40 ramps during the first I-11/I-40 interchange project. It would be crazy not to do so.

sparker

Quote from: Bobby5280 on August 26, 2020, 07:33:28 PM
Hopefully ADOT will at least secure the ROW needed for the EB40>NB11 and SB11>WB40 ramps during the first I-11/I-40 interchange project. It would be crazy not to do so.

From the illustrated map, it looks like the "missing movement" ramps will be woven around a revised I-40/Beale interchange.  To do that, the ROW for those future ramps/flyovers would need to be reserved, since the Beale ramps to eastward I-40 will be passing under them.  I would fully expect to see "ghost stubs" on both I-40 and I-11 as part of the initial construction phase. 

sparker

Looks like the inital step toward upgrading US 93 between Kingman and the NV state line is out of the starting blocks.  The intersection with Pierce Ferry Road, the major county road heading from 93 to Dolan Springs and extending to the lower reaches of the Grand Canyon, is under study for upgrades; the study is to determine whether interim "safety" upgrades should be deployed or whether a full grade separation/interchange should be built at the intersection.  Of course, the latter would be the first limited-access facility between the AZ 68 interchange and the Colorado River bridge approaches -- and the first I-11-related upgrade along that stretch.  The study can be found at:

https://azdot.gov/planning/transportation-studies/us-93-pierce-ferry-road-feasibility-study

splashflash

Shoulder widening has been and will be occurring on US 93 near Pierce Ferry Road.  US 93 from Windy Point Road to Mineral Park Road will receive $7,377,146 (contract H865901C) following up on $12,227,250 of US 93 shoulder widening from 12th St. to Windy Point Road, currently in construction (H865801C).  This work could be seen as incremental work on converting US 93 into I-11.

sparker

Quote from: splashflash on October 03, 2020, 02:41:27 PM
Shoulder widening has been and will be occurring on US 93 near Pierce Ferry Road.  US 93 from Windy Point Road to Mineral Park Road will receive $7,377,146 (contract H865901C) following up on $12,227,250 of US 93 shoulder widening from 12th St. to Windy Point Road, currently in construction (H865801C).  This work could be seen as incremental work on converting US 93 into I-11.

Between the interchange study and the existing shoulder work -- as well as the EIS completion for the Kingman system interchange -- it looks like ADOT is serious about maintaining a reasonable level of progress on that section of US 93/I-11.  Not surprising, as it is not only part of the longer Phoenix-Vegas corridor, but serves as the effective eastern approach to LV for commercial and "civilian" traffic via eastward I-40.  As such, it's something of a "squeaky wheel" re the amount of traffic it hosts compared with US 93 south of I-40.  It was always likely that Kingman-NV would be the segment to be addressed first; these projects seem to bolster that concept.

Sub-Urbanite

Quote from: sparker on October 03, 2020, 06:41:40 PM

Between the interchange study and the existing shoulder work -- as well as the EIS completion for the Kingman system interchange -- it looks like ADOT is serious about maintaining a reasonable level of progress on that section of US 93/I-11.  Not surprising, as it is not only part of the longer Phoenix-Vegas corridor, but serves as the effective eastern approach to LV for commercial and "civilian" traffic via eastward I-40.  As such, it's something of a "squeaky wheel" re the amount of traffic it hosts compared with US 93 south of I-40.  It was always likely that Kingman-NV would be the segment to be addressed first; these projects seem to bolster that concept.

Yeah, I mean, the poor person's I-11 could be built with a mere 6 interchanges between Hoover Dam and AZ 68. That basic version would also require a fair amount of frontage roads, but the flat terrain of the Detrital Valley make that relatively feasible, at least in comparison to the I-40-to-Wickenburg stretch.

Plutonic Panda

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but Arizona isn't a poor state.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on October 05, 2020, 05:45:28 PM

Yeah, I mean, the poor person's I-11 could be built with a mere 6 interchanges between Hoover Dam and AZ 68. That basic version would also require a fair amount of frontage roads, but the flat terrain of the Detrital Valley make that relatively feasible, at least in comparison to the I-40-to-Wickenburg stretch.

Does that include an exit and frontage facility to Santa Claus?

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 05, 2020, 06:44:27 PM
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but Arizona isn't a poor state.

There are pockets of wealth in Arizona, mostly in the Phoenix and Tucson areas, as well as those who own large ranches.  But in the context of US 93/the future I-11 north of I-40, that area is mostly poor with folks living in dumpy trailers.  Same goes for Wickieup.

In reality, most of Arizona ranges from dirt-poor to middle-class, depending on the area.  It's not at all like the rich folks in north Snobsdale, Paradise Valley, Carefree, NE Mesa, and the Ahwatukee Foothills.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

sparker

Chances are that a combination of frontage roads, sporadic interchanges (the 6 speculation might be a little low; my guess is 8-9), and overpasses would do the trick.  Because of all the washes and gullies to bridge, TX-style full-length frontage roads might not be in the cards -- but there's enough roadside facilities, particularly at the junctions with paved county roads, where lengthy sections of frontage road (and possibly overpasses connecting the two sides of the freeway) would be the most reasonable approach.   

Sub-Urbanite

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 05, 2020, 08:50:55 PM

Does that include an exit and frontage facility to Santa Claus?

My mental-notes 6 exits:

• Willow Beach
  • Temple Bar
  • White Hills
  • Dolan Springs
  • Chloride
  • Santa Claus

Sparker is probably right - a second White Hills exit and a Agua Fria Road exit would probably be useful.

sparker

^^^^^^^^^^^^
One of the intersections that would undoubtedly need upgrading to a full interchange would be the northern access road from Golden Valley -- which looks like it was the subject of a relatively recent repave job -- wouldn't be at all surprised if ADOT adopted it into the state system (AZ 168?) at some point, considering the growth of that community. 

The Ghostbuster

As you all know, Interstate 11's southern terminus at present is at the Arizona/Nevada border on the Mike O'Callaghan—Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge. I would have terminated Interstate 11 at Exit 2: Kingman Wash Access Road, and included an End Interstate 11 sign to boot. I am aware there is a Future Interstate 11 Corridor sign just past that interchange, though I think the sign should have been bigger; I doubt one would notice it when driving by.

sparker

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 07, 2020, 06:57:42 PM
As you all know, Interstate 11's southern terminus at present is at the Arizona/Nevada border on the Mike O'Callaghan—Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge. I would have terminated Interstate 11 at Exit 2: Kingman Wash Access Road, and included an End Interstate 11 sign to boot. I am aware there is a Future Interstate 11 Corridor sign just past that interchange, though I think the sign should have been bigger; I doubt one would notice it when driving by.

What would be even better is a medium-size BGS with "END I-11" on one side, a line down the middle, and "FUTURE I-11 CORRIDOR" on the other;  exit #2 would be just fine as the location.   IMO, would not only serve its technical purpose as to delineating the end of the "proper" I-11 but convey the message of "stay tuned for further development" to the driving public.  Every email, tweet, etc. from travelers inquiring "when are you going to build this thing" serves, in the collective, as a kick in the ass to ADOT or any other involved entity to keep the project alive (and hopefully not get bogged down in minutiae!).

Finrod

Has there been any progress or any decision made on I-11's route through Las Vegas?  It seems like the only reasonable options are following US 95 through, following 215 on the south and west side, or following the incomplete route on the east and north side, with the first one of those making the most sense to me.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

JKRhodes

Quote from: Finrod on January 03, 2021, 11:07:24 AM
Has there been any progress or any decision made on I-11's route through Las Vegas?  It seems like the only reasonable options are following US 95 through, following 215 on the south and west side, or following the incomplete route on the east and north side, with the first one of those making the most sense to me.

https://i11nv.com/study-area/

One of the alternatives would route I-11 up 515 to its junction with I-15, then follow the current routing of the US 95 freeway corridor out to the northwest end of town.

Aside from renumbering considerations, are there any concerns with following this route? I only took a cursory look at the page and could not find an alternatives study.

roadfro

Quote from: JKRhodes on January 03, 2021, 04:06:50 PM

One of the alternatives would route I-11 up 515 to its junction with I-15, then follow the current routing of the US 95 freeway corridor out to the northwest end of town.

Aside from renumbering considerations, are there any concerns with following this route? I only took a cursory look at the page and could not find an alternatives study.

There's a thread about the I-11 Nevada/Vegas routing on the Pacific Southwest board.

But to quickly answer the question, I have not heard that NDOT has made a final decision on the Vegas routing.

Although other indications seem to suggest that NDOT will likely favor the US 95 route. There aren't any major issues along US 95 north of I-15 that would prevent application of the I shield.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

sparker

According to the provided map, the two alternatives to a direct I-515/US 95 routing are using the south/west portion of the 215 loop, with an optional connector from the NW corner of that loop to US 95 north of town, and an eastern corridor with actual alignment TBD (several options for this have been shown upthread) connecting with the north leg of that same 215 corridor.  Apparently there's some concern with simply heading through town regarding the section directly north of the town center -- although a couple of the still-vague eastern options impinge upon the Lake Mead recreational area and a nature preserve.  Educated guess -- NDOT would prefer the "straight shot" downtown, but they're entertaining the alternatives to placate both urban concerns as well as those of Strip interests, who would likely find the south/west 215 route optimal for the purpose of funneling I-11 traffic to the revenue-generating newer section of the Strip.  IMO, they'll eventually decide on the direct route or the SW 215 w/connector.  I'd sure like to see if gaming interests have a pool going on the choice -- I'd put 515/95 at 3 to 2,  SW 215 at 4 to 1, and the eastern corridor at at least 8 to 1! 

JKRhodes

Quote from: sparker on January 03, 2021, 09:38:53 PM

According to the provided map, the two alternatives to a direct I-515/US 95 routing are using the south/west portion of the 215 loop, with an optional connector from the NW corner of that loop to US 95 north of town, and an eastern corridor with actual alignment TBD (several options for this have been shown upthread) connecting with the north leg of that same 215 corridor.  Apparently there's some concern with simply heading through town regarding the section directly north of the town center -- although a couple of the still-vague eastern options impinge upon the Lake Mead recreational area and a nature preserve.  Educated guess -- NDOT would prefer the "straight shot" downtown, but they're entertaining the alternatives to placate both urban concerns as well as those of Strip interests, who would likely find the south/west 215 route optimal for the purpose of funneling I-11 traffic to the revenue-generating newer section of the Strip.  IMO, they'll eventually decide on the direct route or the SW 215 w/connector.  I'd sure like to see if gaming interests have a pool going on the choice -- I'd put 515/95 at 3 to 2,  SW 215 at 4 to 1, and the eastern corridor at at least 8 to 1!

Eastern connector, if it ever cleared the many hurdles in its path, would make a nice bypass for Utah bound traffic from Arizona and vice versa, though it would create a significant jog in the overall routing of I-11.

The direct route along US 95 makes the most sense: In addition to requiring no new construction, it would address the confusion of traveling four numbered routes (US 93, I-11, I-515, US 95) along the same road in a relatively short stretch. I-515 could be eliminated and the US routes could be re-signed to run concurrent/secondary to I-11.

sparker

^^^^^^^^^^^
That's the current signage arrangement for both I-515 and the existing portion of I-11:  the Interstate + the two US highways (93/95) until the Spaghetti Bowl, where US 93 shifts to I-15 NB.  If I-11 is eventually designated over the downtown corridor, it'll simply replace I-515 and will be added to US 95 northwest of the I-15 interchange.  If by chance the south/west portions of I-215 are selected, chances are that it'll replace rather than coincide with I-215 (and CC 215, for that matter) until the northwest connector.  I-215 will probably remain for the northern leg of the beltway.  If that happens, expect I-515 to remain through downtown. 

JKRhodes

Quote from: sparker on January 04, 2021, 05:56:10 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^
That's the current signage arrangement for both I-515 and the existing portion of I-11:  the Interstate + the two US highways (93/95) until the Spaghetti Bowl, where US 93 shifts to I-15 NB.  If I-11 is eventually designated over the downtown corridor, it'll simply replace I-515 and will be added to US 95 northwest of the I-15 interchange.  If by chance the south/west portions of I-215 are selected, chances are that it'll replace rather than coincide with I-215 (and CC 215, for that matter) until the northwest connector.  I-215 will probably remain for the northern leg of the beltway.  If that happens, expect I-515 to remain through downtown.

Indeed. Some other considerations:

In an urban environment there tends to be a perception that properties along the through route are dated and rotted, while properties along the belt route are newer and more desirable. So I'm frankly surprised that the casinos on the new part of the strip are actually lobbying to have I-11 pass by them, when the I-215 beltway should serve their marketing purposes just fine.

Routing I-11 along I-215 would also completely muck up the continuity of 215 as a ring route.

It makes the most sense to route I-11 along I-515 and US 95. Leave the 215 as is. If the eastern "lake mead" bypass is ever completed, tie the ends into the current ends of I-215, and complete the circle of that route.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.