News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Traffic Lights With Strobes...

Started by thenetwork, November 05, 2009, 09:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

A fairly new signal on Grelot Road in Mobile, Alabama uses a strobe in the red lens, so new installs are still occurring...

njroadhorse

IIRC, there is another set along US 17 in I believe in Middlesex or Essex County.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Alps

You know, the new edition of the MUTCD is going to prohibit strobe lights.

jdb1234

Here is the one on US 280 that I talked about earlier

Bryant5493

^^ Forgot about that one.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

xcellntbuy

11 red lights?  That has to be a record!

burgess87

There's two or three strobe reds that I've seen in WNY:

1)  NY 77 (Chestunt Ridge RD) & Gasport RD

2)  NY 78 (Transit RD) & Rapids RD / Fisk RD intersection.

njroadhorse

Found another set on PA 145 just north of US 22 in Whitehall.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Ian

Quote from: jdb1234 on December 03, 2009, 11:01:07 PM

Whoa! That must be a pretty bad intersection!
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Bryant5493

^^ The speed limit on the road is 55 m.p.h. and the opposite direction, heading back toward Downtown Birmingham, is an expressway, with some interchanges, turning into a freeway leading to I-20/59.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

SSF

US231 in Alabama has quite a few strobes, as does 431.  

edited to add: i am talking specifically about the area around Dothan for 231/431.  I think the strobes on 431 even make it to Phenix City. 

NYhwyfan

Quote from: burgess87 on December 04, 2009, 12:40:49 PM
There's two or three strobe reds that I've seen in WNY:

1)  NY 77 (Chestunt Ridge RD) & Gasport RD

2)  NY 78 (Transit RD) & Rapids RD / Fisk RD intersection.

As of late the traffic signals at NY 78 (Transit Rd) and Rapids Rd/Fisk Rd have been replaced. The strobes were not put back on the new signals.

Roadsguy

The very stupid signalized intersection, in the farthest south remnant of what would have been the Piedmont Expressway at West Chester* :(, there are the strobes in the red lights. I think this intersection is a remnant of when there was only the 322 piece, and it was only a super-2 "expressway" like the part north of town.

You can barely see it in the Street View.

Also at at least one place on Rockhill Drive in Neshaminy, PA. You can't tell at all in Street View since it's so blurry and glarey.

*Or would it have fed into DE 141 or DE 1? Either way, it's the farthest south in PA.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

1995hoo

Wow, quite the thread resurrection.

I'm aware of two intersections in Northern Virginia with strobes:

(1) Eastbound Edsall Road at Yoakum Parkway in the City of Alexandria. The light is located at the bottom of a hill around a curve.

(2) Eastbound Duke Street at Diagonal Road, also in the City of Alexandria. The light is located just after you crest a rise going over an overpass above the railroad tracks and the subway tunnel.

In both cases I wonder if the strobe is there because they're concerned that a driver might not see the light until the last second. In both cases the strobes are built into the red signals and are not separate installations like the one "jdb1234" posted above.

I recall there used to be a strobe somewhere on US-29 in Culpeper County, Virginia, and the light in question was the only traffic light for a really long stretch (especially when you were heading north) and so I assumed the strobe was there simply to help catch the eye of drivers who were zoning out. That particular strobe disappeared sometime in the 1990s.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

gotwins76

The only strobes in the Harrisburg area that I can think of off the top of my head are at the intersection of the Carlisle Pike (US11) and the ramps to the PA 581 expressway.

hbelkins

The strobes on US 23 at the southern intersection with Business 23 in Wise, Va., have been replaced.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JREwing78

There's a string of them on IL 251 between South Beloit and Rockford. It's a stretch of 4-lane divided highway with frontage roads posted for 55mph, with about 1-2 miles between stoplights.

I haven't traveled enough in Illinois to note how frequently they're used elsewhere.

Revive 755

Quote from: JREwing78 on September 21, 2012, 11:39:09 PM
There's a string of them on IL 251 between South Beloit and Rockford. It's a stretch of 4-lane divided highway with frontage roads posted for 55mph, with about 1-2 miles between stoplights.

I haven't traveled enough in Illinois to note how frequently they're used elsewhere.

I think the Dixon District favored strobes the most; the only other ones I can remember in Illinois were along IL 1/US 150 in one of the towns between I-74 and US 36, but they were removed by mid 2000.

connroadgeek

White Plains NY uses strobes in the red lens.

1995hoo

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 21, 2012, 03:59:02 PM

I'm aware of two intersections in Northern Virginia with strobes:

(2) Eastbound Duke Street at Diagonal Road, also in the City of Alexandria. The light is located just after you crest a rise going over an overpass above the railroad tracks and the subway tunnel.

I went through that intersection yesterday afternoon and shot some video while stopped at the red light (click on the picture to play):

BamaZeus

Hwy 82 has one coming into Northport from the west, mainly because it's pretty much the first traffic light for 20+ miles.  But it's nowhere near as elaborate, or 5% as busy as 280 at 459 in Inverness.

http://goo.gl/maps/T8RmO

PHLBOS

Quote from: PennDOTFan on November 05, 2009, 10:28:54 PM
Pennsylvania STILL uses them. I know of about 20 in my area. Here are some shots of some:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Iansignal/LocalRoadRelatedShots#5292418793553677394
http://picasaweb.google.com/Iansignal/LocalRoadRelatedShots#5302480174248382002 (now replaced with new signals, but still w/ strobes)
http://picasaweb.google.com/Iansignal/LocalRoadRelatedShots#5303097754167523810 (can't tell in this shot)
Ian, your links all point to the same page w/a whole bunch of photos.  It's a bit tough to sort through.

The nearest example of a strobed red signal near me (& not too far from you) is at the Providence Road & Bishop Ave. intersection in Secane (Upper Darby Twp.).  The strobed reds face southbound Bishop Ave. traffic.  The lenses (along w/a big yellow dual-arrow sign) were installed several years ago after a couple of accidents involving vehicles literally plowing through somebody's driveway (& garage) at the opposite end of the T-intersection.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

PurdueBill

Quote from: jdb1234 on December 03, 2009, 11:01:07 PM

What, no gates/force fields/pop-up Severe Tire Damage tire treadles?

rickmastfan67

And I'll make a point that this is a perfect way to revive a thread.  As long as you add info on topic and it's not a "bump" type of post, reviving threads is perfectly fine in the Admin crew eyes. ;)

1995hoo

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on September 27, 2012, 12:08:35 AM

And I'll make a point that this is a perfect way to revive a thread.  As long as you add info on topic and it's not a "bump" type of post, reviving threads is perfectly fine in the Admin crew eyes. ;)

Oh, I agree 100% and I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining. I was just surprised to see such an old thread revived, that's all. I guess it's a good sign that someone used the search feature.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.