Kirby Delauter threatens to sue newspaper

Started by 1995hoo, January 06, 2015, 08:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Who is Kirby Delauter, you ask?

He's a councilman in Frederick County, Maryland, who somehow got the utterly asinine idea that he can order the local newspaper never to print his name without his permission. He says he'll sue them if they do. Obviously, that's ridiculous and a judge would sanction him for bringing a frivolous lawsuit (along with any attorney stupid enough to take the case).

However, the newspaper's response–which is online and will run in print this weekend–is what makes the whole affair absolutely priceless. Take note of the first letter of each paragraph and see what they spell when you combine them.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hotdogPi

Kirby Delauter kirbydelauterkirbydelauterkirbydelauterkirbydelauterkirbydelauterkirbydelauterkirbydelauterkirbydelauterkirbydelauterkirbydelauterkirbydelauterkirbydelauterkirbydelauterkirbydelauterkirbydelauterkirbydelauterkirbydelauterkirbydelauterkirbydelauterkirbyeastereggdelauterkirbydelauterkirbydelauterkirbydelauterkirbydelauter

There, I said it.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 06, 2015, 08:52:41 PM
Who is Kirby Delauter, you ask?

He's a councilman in Frederick County, Maryland, who somehow got the utterly asinine idea that he can order the local newspaper never to print his name without his permission. He says he'll sue them if they do. Obviously, that's ridiculous and a judge would sanction him for bringing a frivolous lawsuit (along with any attorney stupid enough to take the case).

However, the newspaper's response–which is online and will run in print this weekend–is what makes the whole affair absolutely priceless. Take note of the first letter of each paragraph and see what they spell when you combine them.

An embarrassment to Maryland citizens, even those that don't live in Frederick County. 

Frederick County seems to generate elected officials like this individual with some frequency.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

hbelkins

This came across my transom yesterday.

I don't know the circumstances that originally got him angry at the paper, although I understand he was unhappy in this instance about being named in a story that primarily concerned another council member's concerns about parking.

Even after having been a journalist for about 15 years, I share his concern that the mainstream press is generally biased in favor of one party/ideology and against another party/ideology, but being stupid like this won't help.

It's fine for him to decide he's not going to comment to certain media outlets or not return calls from reporters he doesn't think have been fair with him, but you just can't go be stupid like this.

I wish I could open a business to counsel politicians and other public figures on how to deal with the press, especially a hostile press. This would be lessen #1 in what not to do.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kkt

What a doofus.  Now he's the only county councilmember on the eastern seaboard I have heard of.  Some people just aren't cut out for a life in politics.

GaryV

So the next time he's out politickin', I guess he doesn't want any coverage.

NJRoadfan

He clearly hasn't heard of the Streisand Effect. Plus he didn't say "please" in his initial request.

SignGeek101

What a guy.  :-D

Interesting. Great article, thanks for sharing.

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

oscar

my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

JMoses24

Quote from: oscar on January 08, 2015, 01:32:08 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on January 06, 2015, 08:52:41 PM

For a less subtle example of the old first-letter trick, see then-Gov. Schwarzenegger's veto of a bill sponsored by an opponent he especially despised.

Not sure who it's directed to (presuming either SA or TI are included) but the paragraphs in the middle...subtle, my foot.

Scott5114

I have nothing else to add to this discussion but Kirby Delauter.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Billy F 1988

Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.