News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Old BBS's

Started by bandit957, August 26, 2019, 01:58:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 30, 2019, 11:46:33 AM
Quote from: roadman on August 28, 2019, 03:36:55 PM
Quote from: vdeane on August 26, 2019, 09:49:03 PM
Quote from: roadman on August 26, 2019, 02:24:26 PM
Raise your hand if you thought this thread was going to be about services signs.
Or the original Thruway signs.
Also the original Connecticut Turnpike signs.
Couldn't the 2nd B stand for Brown (used on tourist signage) as well?

When I was in college, there was a bus stop on Central Grounds that was commonly referred to as the "BBS." Reason: It was a popular hangout for a lot of black students and when it became known as the "black bus stop," the black students adopted the term "BBS" for it. A Google search suggests this term is no longer in use. (Location was the right side of this Street View image; the stairs were the bigger hangout area that led to the "BBS" name.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

bandit957

I loved the BBS's where the sysops used handles like Blackbeard and Long John Silver, but expected nobody to think it was a pirate BBS.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

GCrites

Quote from: inkyatari on August 28, 2019, 03:21:40 PM
Oh man.  I miss those days.  In the Joliet, IL area, we had Revelations (First it was King Diamond themed , until the sysop, who is still a good friend of mine, found jesus,)

Wow, what's so bad about King Diamond and Mercyful Fate that someone religious can't be associated with? Sure there's some talk about Satan, but is it really that different than what is in the Bible? That's something I don't get... all this "blasphemy" could only be made by people who studied Christianity extensively in a sympathetic setting. Like how the premier Black Sabbath website has been run by a practicing Christian since the beginning.

inkyatari

Quote from: GCrites80s on September 03, 2019, 10:42:41 PM
Quote from: inkyatari on August 28, 2019, 03:21:40 PM
Oh man.  I miss those days.  In the Joliet, IL area, we had Revelations (First it was King Diamond themed , until the sysop, who is still a good friend of mine, found jesus,)

Wow, what's so bad about King Diamond and Mercyful Fate that someone religious can't be associated with? Sure there's some talk about Satan, but is it really that different than what is in the Bible? That's something I don't get... all this "blasphemy" could only be made by people who studied Christianity extensively in a sympathetic setting. Like how the premier Black Sabbath website has been run by a practicing Christian since the beginning.

Woahh.. wait a sec..  I'm not saying anything about my friend. My implication was that the name of the BBS took on a different meaning. I'm still friends with him, and while I am not a believer, he is, and he's a great guy, and I would never belittle him.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

GCrites

I shouldn't have gone there; it's not germane to the discussion.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.