Where can you get to without leaving your neighborhood

Started by jeffandnicole, October 29, 2019, 09:16:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finrod

My neighborhood is sandwiched between Powers Ferry and I-75; I can't think of a single business I can get to without leaving the neighborhood as defined.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

J N Winkler

For me, this question hinges on whether the definition of "main road" (not to be crossed) includes surface arterials without numbered route status.  There are essentially no numbered routes left in Wichita that are not freeways or expressways, and I live in the same freeway "box" that has City Hall, the county and federal courthouses, the main public library, multiple supermarkets, and a shopping mall.  If "main road" is considered to include arterials, however, then within my own subdivision I have access only to a McDonald's and a liquor store.  (A supermarket is within walking distance but entails crossing one of the arterials.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

MikeTheActuary

For me: I have

A soon-to-be-former farm
A neighborhood hardware store
A vacant former bank branch
A major aerospace engineering company
A ConnDOT facility
A tiny state park
A boat launch
A fire station
An industrial park (including a Walgreens regional distribution facility, a Pepsi bottling facility, and various Fed Ex operations).

At the end of my street, but across a numbered highway, is the best BBQ place in the area (doesn't say much).
And across a different highway/freeway, but effectively in my back yard...an international airport.

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on November 04, 2019, 08:53:53 PM

[...]

At the end of my street, but across a numbered highway, is the best BBQ place in the area (doesn't say much).

[...]

Having just moved from CT to Missouri...I never knew what I was missing when it comes to BBQ.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

texaskdog

I live 2 blocks from a major shopping mall with 22 restaurants, 37 fast food places, etc.  beyond that you can find tons more north or west.  Our part of town is surrounded by freeways north and east but you can get to a lot of places easily.  getting across Austin though is awful.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: J N Winkler on November 04, 2019, 08:37:26 PM
For me, this question hinges on whether the definition of "main road" (not to be crossed) includes surface arterials without numbered route status.  There are essentially no numbered routes left in Wichita that are not freeways or expressways, and I live in the same freeway "box" that has City Hall, the county and federal courthouses, the main public library, multiple supermarkets, and a shopping mall.  If "main road" is considered to include arterials, however, then within my own subdivision I have access only to a McDonald's and a liquor store.  (A supermarket is within walking distance but entails crossing one of the arterials.)

Think of a main road as one with lines on it.

J N Winkler

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 04, 2019, 10:47:50 PMThink of a main road as one with lines on it.

Thanks.  This may be worth adding to the original post.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

US 89

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.