AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: New Jersey  (Read 997704 times)

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
New Jersey
« on: September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM »

(We've actually not yet had a general catch-all for NJ.)

Got this question online, does anyone have an idea?
"found Alps` Roads while searching for the history of the Maple lake rd. under pass on Rt.23 . When I was a kid , (66 now) I was told it was called the Bridge to nowhere ,$$$$$$ cow path when built and was in Ripelys believe it or not. Can anybody help ?"

I looked back to 1953 on Historic Aerials, overpass was there with houses on both sides, didn't seem like a bridge to nowhere. I looked at 1931, Maple Lake Rd. (Kinnelon) was still there, well before 23. Why would it have been in Ripley's?

SteveG1988

• Last Login: March 03, 2024, 08:59:23 PM
Re: New Jersey
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 09:12:48 AM »

(We've actually not yet had a general catch-all for NJ.)

Got this question online, does anyone have an idea?
"found Alps` Roads while searching for the history of the Maple lake rd. under pass on Rt.23 . When I was a kid , (66 now) I was told it was called the Bridge to nowhere ,$$$$$$ cow path when built and was in Ripelys believe it or not. Can anybody help ?"

I looked back to 1953 on Historic Aerials, overpass was there with houses on both sides, didn't seem like a bridge to nowhere. I looked at 1931, Maple Lake Rd. (Kinnelon) was still there, well before 23. Why would it have been in Ripley's?

It would probably have been in a newspaper one, they might have been milking it as a "thousands spent on a bridge...for cows!" type thing.

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Zeffy

• Revved to Redline

• Last Login: April 26, 2021, 12:13:44 PM
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 07:53:35 PM »

While driving on NJ 31 South heading towards Trenton, there was a new blue sign installed recently (around the intersection with CR 518, I believe, and the bridge is still closed) naming NJ 31 the "Tri-County Purple Heart Memorial Highway" (or something close to that).

What's the third county? I know NJ 31 lies in Hunterdon and Mercer Counties, but I can't figure out the third one. At first I thought Somerset (where I live), but I know NJ 31 doesn't show up until you are in Hunterdon. Does anyone know anything about the sign?

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Alps

• y u m

• Alps' Roads
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 08:08:32 PM »

While driving on NJ 31 South heading towards Trenton, there was a new blue sign installed recently (around the intersection with CR 518, I believe, and the bridge is still closed) naming NJ 31 the "Tri-County Purple Heart Memorial Highway" (or something close to that).

What's the third county? I know NJ 31 lies in Hunterdon and Mercer Counties, but I can't figure out the third one. At first I thought Somerset (where I live), but I know NJ 31 doesn't show up until you are in Hunterdon. Does anyone know anything about the sign?

Warren.
(Google: http://www.senatenj.com/index.php/doherty/senate-approves-doherty-bill-designating-rt-31-as-tri-county-purple-heart-memorial-highway/11547 first result)

Zeffy

• Revved to Redline

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 08:18:06 PM »

Warren.
(Google: http://www.senatenj.com/index.php/doherty/senate-approves-doherty-bill-designating-rt-31-as-tri-county-purple-heart-memorial-highway/11547 first result)

Ah, that was the third one. I forgot about it running all the way to US 46 near Washington Township.

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Alps

• y u m

• Alps' Roads
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 08:23:11 PM »

Warren.

Ah, that was the third one. I forgot about it running all the way to US 46 near Washington Township.

Buttzville, to be precise. Remember that one.

Roadgeek Adam

• Enby and Proud

• Warren CR 14 - Warrensburg, NY

• Last Login: Today at 12:04:34 AM
    • My Flickr Photostream
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 10:04:05 AM »

Warren.

Buttzville, to be precise. Remember that one.

Wasn't even in Washington Township as is. That's White Township with Buttzville I believe.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

mtantillo

• Last Login: May 21, 2023, 04:48:53 PM
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 06:42:35 PM »

Zeffy

• Revved to Redline

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 07:36:59 PM »

http://www.nj.com/messenger-gazette/index.ssf/2013/10/christie_administration_opens_portion_of_route_206_bypass_in_hillsborough.html

The 1/3 finished middle section of the Hillsborough Bypass is now open.

Saw it. Until the other parts are done traffic will still be bullshit through Hillsborough.

NJRoadfan

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:30:29 PM
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 08:18:06 PM »

Another "stealth" NJDOT project. There is zip on their website about it. This project seems to be taking forever too, just the the dualization they did on 206 just north of that project 10 years ago.

In other news, NJDOT discovered YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/NJDeptTransportation

Zeffy

• Revved to Redline

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 09:26:39 PM »

Another "stealth" NJDOT project. There is zip on their website about it. This project seems to be taking forever too, just the the dualization they did on 206 just north of that project 10 years ago.

In other news, NJDOT discovered YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/NJDeptTransportation

I believe Somerset County had details on the 206 Bypass. I also believe that there was a list of NJDOT projects and the 206 bypass was advertised on it. Somewhere.

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:52:41 PM
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 10:01:04 AM »

It's there...it's just very old information due to the length of the project.  I wish NJDOT would keep their information more current...and promote and update their current projects a lot better than they do. 

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/capital/stip1019/sec3/routes/rt206.pdf (Page 5)

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/capital/stip1423/sec2/routes/rt206.pdf (Pages 12 & 13)

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/business/procurement/ConstrServ/awards10.shtm (Awarded 6/10/10)

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/business/procurement/ConstrServ/documents/BidTabs09182.pdf (Bid Tabulation, which shows the project should have been completed in August, 2012)

roadman65

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:37:30 PM
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 07:10:50 PM »

I have nothing to ad about the Hillsborough Bypass as it has been said already about its timing.

Being this is NJ, I think this would qualify as that instead of starting a new thread on this.

I was noticing that on the Palisades Interstate Parkway in Bergen County via GSV, I saw the ramp signs for both Exits 3 and 4 that connect with US 9W (or RT 9 W as the signs say) and they all seem to have typical NYSDOT type of signing with mileage numbers along with the directional control points.  Exit 3 for example has "G Washington Br. 9" and "Tappan Zee Br. 8" at the end of that ramp.  The only thing NJDOT is the US 9W shield on top of the sign with directional headers, but the rest is definetly NY.

Is that a new NJ thing or is it the fact the Parkway is maintained by its own agency that is influenced by New York?  I do see on ramp signage different in both states though, as NY uses the PIP shields while NJ uses green text signs.  In addition NY uses control cities for the road while NJ does not including mileage signs on the parkway itself in the Empire State and none in the Garden State.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:30:29 PM
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 01:57:01 PM »

New NJDOT thing. All new ground mounted signs are mixed case to comply with the 2009 MUTCD requirements.

NE2

• fuck

• Last Login: March 11, 2024, 12:16:05 AM
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2013, 02:40:33 PM »

New NJDOT thing. All new ground mounted signs are mixed case to comply with the 2009 MUTCD requirements.
He was asking about the distances on the directional sign, not mixed case...
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Zeffy

• Revved to Redline

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 04:55:06 PM »

Was strolling through Trenton and saw these nice looking street signs:

http://goo.gl/maps/wIYL6

What font is that on them? It looks like an older FHWA font, perhaps the one used on the old US shields?

Big John

• Last Login: Today at 12:08:45 AM
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 04:59:21 PM »

^^ Except the red which is no longer MUTCD compliant.

roadman65

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2013, 03:34:18 AM »

I was noticing that a couple of times on this forum in other discussions about I-295 and I-95, that someone made the suggestion to sign US 1 from I-95/I-295 in Lawrence, NJ for Princeton instead of US 206 to comply with "Princeton" being used as control city along those two interstates.  This got me to thinking about other places in New Jersey, especially along I-287, that direct motorists to a nearby city via another road.

Back in 1985, I worked on Campus Drive in Somerset (present day Exit 12 off the I-287) at an office building where I drove one of my female coworkers home who lived in Downtown Somerville.  I drove I-287 North to US 22 West.  Then exited at North Bridge Street (US 22's only WB exit for Somerville) to pass through the interchange (North Bridge is a pair of right ins and outs at US 22 with a connector road connecting the two discontinuous segments of North Bridge Street together) to Ivanhoe Avenue West to Davenport Street South.  Then Davenport to NJ 28 in Downtown Somerville where she had her apartment where NJ 28 deviated from West Main Street.  Yet, if you follow the exit guides it has Somerville signed off of I-287 Northbound from Exit 13 for NJ 28 West, with US 22 Westbound signed for Clinton.

It got me thinking about this, as I did use the way I drove her home because it was the fastest and most convenient way to get to her place from that direction of I-287.  Therefore just like some of us believe that US 1 in Mercer County is more convenient to reach Princeton than US 206 from I-95/I-295 there despite its signage.  I-287 should have US 22 Westbound at Exit 14 signed for Somerville instead of Clinton and replace NJ 28 at Exit 13 with Finderne, a small community of Bridgewater Township, NJ located just west of I-287 from I-287.

One thing about signage along I-287 in New Jersey is its inconsistency as it interchanges with many arteries that connect NYC with far reaches of its metropolitan area, yet some are signed local (particularly the newest section of the freeway north of Boonton), while other are signed regionally.  For example NJ 23 in Riverdale is signed inward to NYC area as "Riverdale/ Wayne," but US 22 is signed "New York City." Both are major arterials that lead to the epicenter of the great NYC Metro area, but signed differently from that same interstate freeway.  That is in part why Somerville is not mentioned at Exit 14 on the freeway as its part of the regional signing for I-287's signing practice for that area.

I believe that is what happened in the Trenton area, as Princeton was later added to the system as control point for both I-95 and I-295 after control cities were already assigned for exits along those two routes.   In both cases I do not think that NJDOT had either Princeton nor Somerville in mind for many motorists as a point of interest so signing the guide signs was just the usual way of using either regional or local points for the connecting roads.  Somerville is not directly on US 22 and Princeton is not directly on US 1 either.  So nearby interstates crossing would not get them respectively on the exit guides.  However, interestingly enough "Somerville" is used on US 22 from local roads connecting with US 22 at other points of US 22 statewide and "Princeton" is indeed used in Trenton on some guides for US 1 NB.

Sheryl Crowe

Zeffy

• Revved to Redline

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2013, 10:31:54 AM »

What's interesting is how Princeton is used on this BGS as you approach the Somerville Circle, but there is no mention of Trenton except on distance signs, and a LGS where US 206 turns right as NJ 27 continues left in Princeton. US 206 passes straight through [the ghettos of*] Trenton, and the only time I believe US 206 is signed with Trenton as a control city is off of the Trenton section of I-95. (Exit 7A)

Another thing that always confuses me is 'West Trenton'. From what I can tell by looking at maps, West Trenton is pretty far away from Trenton itself in terms of distances from East Trenton, South Trenton, etc. It appears that West Trenton is a totally different neighborhood then the city itself, and seems like it should be in Ewing Township. This is what confuses me: is West Trenton somehow connected to the actual city, or is it a totally separate entity? Even Google Maps says 'Ewing Township' when you use streetview in West Trenton.

*Not to offend Trenton residents, but the area I drove through on US 206 looked deplorable. There are other areas in the city that are much nicer.

NE2

• fuck

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2013, 10:40:34 AM »

West Trenton is where the commuter rail line ends.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:52:41 PM
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2013, 11:06:59 AM »

What's interesting is how Princeton is used on this BGS as you approach the Somerville Circle, but there is no mention of Trenton except on distance signs, and a LGS where US 206 turns right as NJ 27 continues left in Princeton. US 206 passes straight through [the ghettos of*] Trenton, and the only time I believe US 206 is signed with Trenton as a control city is off of the Trenton section of I-95. (Exit 7A)

Another thing that always confuses me is 'West Trenton'. From what I can tell by looking at maps, West Trenton is pretty far away from Trenton itself in terms of distances from East Trenton, South Trenton, etc. It appears that West Trenton is a totally different neighborhood then the city itself, and seems like it should be in Ewing Township. This is what confuses me: is West Trenton somehow connected to the actual city, or is it a totally separate entity? Even Google Maps says 'Ewing Township' when you use streetview in West Trenton.

*Not to offend Trenton residents, but the area I drove through on US 206 looked deplorable. There are other areas in the city that are much nicer.

West Trenton is a section of Ewing.

And you may have been the first person to compliment anything in Trenton in the past 20 years.

SteveG1988

• Last Login: March 03, 2024, 08:59:23 PM
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2013, 12:20:53 PM »

I honestly think west trenton exists because of the reading railroad. It makes sense as a train station name more than a town name
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

NE2

• fuck

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2013, 01:13:14 PM »

I honestly think west trenton exists because of the reading railroad. It makes sense as a train station name more than a town name
In 1849 and 1872 it was called Birmingham. In 1918 it was Trenton Junction, definitely a railroad name. Then in 1938 it was West Trenton. Note that there was a post office, so the USPS probably got its greedy little Obamunistic fingers in there.

Interstatefan78

• Last Login: January 24, 2024, 12:56:19 PM
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2013, 01:20:11 PM »

Drove thru the Newark airport zone yesterday and most of the signs in the terminal are in Clearview font and I think the PANJNY did this because the gantries lack lighting on them Lastly the Musconetcong River sign on I-78 West is in clearview font and I think the clearview switch in NJ will occur first in the cities then the rural parts of NJ

roadman65

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2013, 02:25:43 PM »

Before the Somerville Circle was revamped, "Trenton" did indeed exist as a control city at the point that US 206 SB exited the roundabout.

What is more interesting is that on the US 202/ US 206 exit SB off I-287, there used to be LGSes that read "Somerville/ Princeton" as the overheads used to omit the control points.  When NJDOT added the modern freeway signs, they chose Flemington over Princeton instead of carbon copying the old signs, however the ramp guide signs on US 202/ US 206 SB at the I-287 ramps in Bedminster still list Somerville- Princeton.  Those signs were placed there so that through traffic would bypass Pluckemin and Bridgewater and use the freeway.  The engineers who done the signing on I-287 did not take that into consideration, so following the guides literally will not lead you to where you are supposed to.

If it were up to me, I would put back Princeton and leave out Flemington as I would say more through US 206 traffic exits I-287 than through US 202 traffic does.  I believe most US 202 traffic south of the Circle is from US 22 Westbound.  It might be wise to have a supplemental sign on I-287 NB at Exit 14 for Flemington or simply sign is as another control point for US 22 WB as NJ has no problem signing two or more control points on guide signs like the rest of us do.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.