AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: New York  (Read 1641888 times)

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
Re: New York
« Reply #6875 on: March 01, 2024, 10:55:41 PM »

NY-12E Realignment (Fall 2025 Completion):
NY-12E will be relocated from its existing bridge over the Black River in Brownsville to a new bridge approximately 0.5 miles to the west. The existing bridge will be demolished, and the rest of the existing alignment in Brownsville will revert to Jefferson County as an extension of CR-190.
Contract plans are here. Scheduled completion for the new bridge, and thus the reroute, is November 30, 2024 (slide 10). The demolition of the existing bridge and other work will be done after.
a) Brownville, no S
b) This kills the town. You've just moved all the traffic on a state highway from downtown to a bridge that avoids it completely. I'm shocked they're okay with this.

froggie

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:08:21 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #6876 on: March 02, 2024, 03:26:37 PM »

b) This kills the town. You've just moved all the traffic on a state highway from downtown to a bridge that avoids it completely. I'm shocked they're okay with this.

Have you been through the town?  There's extremely little in the way of traffic-dependent businesses along there...basically just a Stewart's and a couple of pizza places that are probably frequented by locals to begin with.  I think you're overreacting.

Rothman

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:52:13 PM
« Reply #6877 on: March 02, 2024, 04:37:56 PM »

Have you been through the town?  There's extremely little in the way of traffic-dependent businesses along there...basically just a Stewart's and a couple of pizza places that are probably frequented by locals to begin with.  I think you're overreacting.
Goodbye Stewart's and pizza places...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:10:05 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #6878 on: March 02, 2024, 04:56:58 PM »

I'm pretty sure Stewart's makes most of its business off locals, not travelers passing though.  They don't even bother to keep much around in the way of hot food outside the workday lunch rush.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

« Reply #6879 on: March 02, 2024, 05:35:12 PM »

I'm pretty sure Stewart's makes most of its business off locals, not travelers passing though.  They don't even bother to keep much around in the way of hot food outside the workday lunch rush.
It's a Stewart's with Sunoco gas, though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Rothman

« Reply #6880 on: March 02, 2024, 05:35:57 PM »

I hate the lack of Stewart's in central NY.  Stupid Byrne Dairy...doesn't match up.

froggie

• Froggie's Place
« Reply #6881 on: March 02, 2024, 07:16:59 PM »

Those "in the know" are hitting either the Sunoco next to Price Chopper at Exit 45 to use their gas points or the Sunoco at the 7-Eleven at Exit 46 that also has a Timmy Ho's...

Rothman

« Reply #6882 on: March 02, 2024, 08:19:21 PM »

Those "in the know" are hitting either the Sunoco next to Price Chopper at Exit 45 to use their gas points or the Sunoco at the 7-Eleven at Exit 46 that also has a Timmy Ho's...
So...okay...town's gonna die.

vdeane

• New York State Roads
« Reply #6883 on: March 02, 2024, 10:59:09 PM »

Does that make a difference?  I'm not really sure why a few have the gas branded Sunoco while most don't.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

froggie

• Froggie's Place
« Reply #6884 on: March 02, 2024, 11:00:21 PM »

If that's the case, the town is already dying and moving the bridge isn't going to change or affect that...

Rothman

« Reply #6885 on: March 02, 2024, 11:08:42 PM »

If that's the case, the town is already dying and moving the bridge isn't going to change or affect that...
We must help the town die.

Rothman

« Reply #6886 on: March 02, 2024, 11:09:25 PM »

Does that make a difference?  I'm not really sure why a few have the gas branded Sunoco while most don't.
Gas stations tend to be a little more dependent on more than just locals.

kalvado

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:03:25 PM
« Reply #6887 on: March 03, 2024, 03:41:21 AM »

If reduced traffic at gas station means the town is dead, I would say that town is already dead.

Rothman

« Reply #6888 on: March 03, 2024, 08:33:51 AM »

If reduced traffic at gas station means the town is dead, I would say that town is already dead.
We must beat a dead town.

vdeane

• New York State Roads
« Reply #6889 on: March 03, 2024, 02:59:08 PM »

Gas stations tend to be a little more dependent on more than just locals.
I was thinking more along the lines of why the gas being branded Sunoco makes a difference, given that most Stewart's locations with gas do not have the Sunoco branding (or any branding at all, other than Stewart's).  They're even in the process of slowly phasing out the stores that don't sell gas.

kalvado

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:03:25 PM
« Reply #6890 on: March 05, 2024, 12:52:20 PM »

We must beat a dead town.
Necrophilic animal cruelty?

webny99

• Last Login: Today at 12:57:15 AM
« Reply #6891 on: March 06, 2024, 02:56:24 PM »

Is it weird that my takeaway is that I-81 needs an exit north of the river at CR 190? Not just for Brownville; Glen Park is just as much or more of a pain to access from I-81.

cockroachking

• Lowest Route # Untraveled: 266

• Last Login: Today at 01:47:06 AM
« Reply #6892 on: March 06, 2024, 10:46:38 PM »

It would probably be too close to Exit 47 (NY-12), plus there is the Black River on the other side. Also, CR-51 seems to me to be a viable connection.

02 Park Ave

• Happy motoring!

• Last Login: March 07, 2024, 07:17:45 PM
« Reply #6893 on: March 07, 2024, 07:04:27 PM »

The Srewart'ses in Ulster County sell Ethanol-free (E0) premium gasoline.  Is that a Sunoco product?
C-o-H

D-Dey65

• Last Login: Today at 12:48:08 AM
    • I-95; Still not finished in Boston, Central New Jersey, or Washington, D.C.
« Reply #6894 on: March 13, 2024, 02:09:59 PM »

For generations, I've seen map companies (most notably Hagstrom's) post a non-existent westbound loop on-ramp from Veterans Memorial Highway (before it was designated as NY 454), and the Long Island Expressway (back when it was still NY 495). Yet I've never seen this ramp, so I assumed it was something that existed years ago before the L.I.E. went east of Exit 57, and the map companies still hadn't caught on that it wasn't there anymore.

So within the hour, I was looking through some papers, which include hand-written notes regarding source material for the previous ramp and service road configurations for Wikipedia articles on the Long Island Expressway. Then I looked up Historic Aerials of the vicinity, and what I found was something I wish I could say was completely bonkers, but instead the most I can say is that those who set it up may have had a few screws loose.

Instead of a fairly reasonable temporary on-ramp, I saw westbound only turning ramps onto the eastbound service road, and northbound Blydenburgh Road, both of which lead to the eastbound on-ramp, which itself ended at a temporary U-turn to the westbound lanes of the expressway.

This has to be seen to be believed.
https://historicaerials.com/?layer=map&zoom=11&lat=40.8047&lon=-73.1728

And I still want to know about the loop ramp between the Vets Highway and Long Island Expressway.

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #6895 on: March 13, 2024, 06:24:44 PM »

For generations, I've seen map companies (most notably Hagstrom's) post a non-existent westbound loop on-ramp from Veterans Memorial Highway (before it was designated as NY 454), and the Long Island Expressway (back when it was still NY 495). Yet I've never seen this ramp, so I assumed it was something that existed years ago before the L.I.E. went east of Exit 57, and the map companies still hadn't caught on that it wasn't there anymore.

So within the hour, I was looking through some papers, which include hand-written notes regarding source material for the previous ramp and service road configurations for Wikipedia articles on the Long Island Expressway. Then I looked up Historic Aerials of the vicinity, and what I found was something I wish I could say was completely bonkers, but instead the most I can say is that those who set it up may have had a few screws loose.

Instead of a fairly reasonable temporary on-ramp, I saw westbound only turning ramps onto the eastbound service road, and northbound Blydenburgh Road, both of which lead to the eastbound on-ramp, which itself ended at a temporary U-turn to the westbound lanes of the expressway.

And I still want to know about the loop ramp between the Vets Highway and Long Island Expressway.

(1966 for those who click the link)

vdeane

• New York State Roads
« Reply #6896 on: March 13, 2024, 08:45:09 PM »

The road east of there is clearly not open yet.  I imagine they figured it would be easier to provide a ramp on the right than to build a left turn for all the traffic, which they may have anticipated being lower after the road opened.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.