News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: Zeffy on May 11, 2015, 10:48:25 AMInterestingly enough, the signs on I-676 that are fabricated with Clearview, while used incorrectly, look much nicer than the installs of the signs on I-195 and I-295.
That's largely because the sign panel wasn't shrunk nor the lettering was't increased in size.

The new 195 & 295 signs use a taller letter height but the same size panels when compared to the previous signs.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Jerseyman4

Quote from: Zeffy on May 10, 2015, 11:52:07 AM
Direct answer from an NJDOT representative about New Jersey's usage of Clearview. I emailed them a week and a half ago just to get their stance on the issue - turns out, these signs were intentional, but they will be replaced with FHWA once more.

QuoteHello Matthew,
Thank you for contacting the New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT). NJDOT is aware of all signs in the field using Clearview font. FHWA gave NJDOT interim approval in 2007 for the use of Clearview lettering on I-676 and I-76 as a test case. Based on positive feedback, Clearview font was installed on additional signs on Rt. 18, Rt. 295, and Rt. 195. A representative from FHWA has reached out to us recently and told us that they will no longer be pursuing the standardization of the Clearview font. Based on this direction, NJDOT will not be fabricating or installing more signs using Clearview. These signs will be replaced in the future with signs using the EC Modified font.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact the office of Community and Constituent Relations at (609) 530-2110.
NJ DOT Correspondence Unit

I assume "EC" meant EM, unless it's something else entirely. It also means that Clearview will no longer be pushed by the FHWA, and will presumably, be killed entirely within the entire country.

Matthew, how can I contact the NJDOT Community and Constituent Relations so I can e-mail them? The web searches are just leading to me to their phone number and I would prefer to e-mail them or go through a webpage that allows me to fill in information.

Zeffy

Quote from: Jerseyman4 on May 12, 2015, 10:37:38 AM
Matthew, how can I locate the NJDOT Community and Constituent Relations so I can e-mail the DOT? The web searches are just leading to me to their phone number and I would prefer to e-mail them or go through a webpage that allows me to fill in information.

Admittedly, their site is a bit hard to navigate. The form I used was located here: http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/contact/

At the bottom of the page is the contact form - I would make sure the question you want to ask them is not listed under the "Please review the topics below first for faster assistance" section. The "comments" textarea is the place to enter your actual message.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Jerseyman4

I did exactly what you told me to do. Let's hope they respond back! :)

Thank you for your help.

NJRoadfan

NJDOT has gone round-rect. New LGSes on US-9, 22, and elsewhere have rounded corners.... and crammed in mixed case legends.

storm2k

Quote from: NJRoadfan on May 20, 2015, 04:10:07 PM
NJDOT has gone round-rect. New LGSes on US-9, 22, and elsewhere have rounded corners.... and crammed in mixed case legends.

Where on 22? Their signage at the Chimney Rock Rd construction looks normal, just no black backing on sheilds. Where else are they replacing signs?

NJRoadfan

Small ground mounted signs for exits have rounded corners. They still have black backing on the shields too. They can be found on all exits on US-9 from the Edison Bridge to NJ-34 and they just started popping up on US-22. The mixed case font on them is downright tiny in some cases.

storm2k

Quote from: NJRoadfan on May 22, 2015, 01:39:39 PM
Small ground mounted signs for exits have rounded corners. They still have black backing on the shields too. They can be found on all exits on US-9 from the Edison Bridge to NJ-34 and they just started popping up on US-22. The mixed case font on them is downright tiny in some cases.

I know the signs you're talking about. They have those on 9 starting from the 1-9 split now around where they've been doing the flood mitigation/safety work by Woodbridge Mall. You are correct. The signs don't look right and the font proportions are way off. But they were using tiny fonts about 15 years old (the darker green LGS's at jughandles and intersections).

storm2k

NJ.com posted a series of old school Skyway signs. Some of these are from the 60s and earlier and are glorious.

roadman65

Nice vintage Skyway photos to share.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ekt8750

Those are beautiful although the Series F 9 is hideous.

roadman65

Either a letter fell off, or there is a serious spelling error.   Jersey in Jersey City is spelled Jerse.

Also if I remember correctly those signs were back lit.   The replacement of those for today's Broadway exit were white on green back in the 1970's though, but nonetheless the same sign regardless of the panels.  i even noticed that the yellow flashers were not present in the photo that alert motorists of the ramp diverge that are there now.

Sheryl Crowe

Zeffy

Discussion on noelbotevera's New Jersey control cities has been moved to Fictional Highways, located here. Please resume all other New Jersey talk in this thread. Thanks!

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Zeffy

Quote from: noelbotevera on May 22, 2015, 11:21:35 PM
;-) :love: Jersey City love.

Jersey City is one of the few urban cities in this state that isn't mostly a dump. There are bad sections, but there are definitely extremely nice ones as well.

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on May 22, 2015, 06:18:46 PM
Either a letter fell off, or there is a serious spelling error.   Jersey in Jersey City is spelled Jerse.

Also if I remember correctly those signs were back lit.   The replacement of those for today's Broadway exit were white on green back in the 1970's though, but nonetheless the same sign regardless of the panels.  i even noticed that the yellow flashers were not present in the photo that alert motorists of the ramp diverge that are there now.

You can see the shadow where the Y should be on the sign. And these look like those classic movie theater marquees that were backlit.

jeffandnicole

Public Meeting regarding the 295/42 missing moves ramps on Thursday, June 11th.

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/community/meetings/documents/handout061115kn.pdf

This is a significant step in the overall transportation network in the general area.  These missing moves were originally scheduled to be built a decade ago, but have been pushed off for various reasons.  At the numerous 295/76/42 Direct Connection meetings, the missing move ramps have been asked about by many of the attendees, but since the project was always a separate project, those from NJDOT or the private consultant didn't have any info regarding the project (or if they had info, they couldn't say).

The project still won't begin until Fiscal Year 2017 at the earliest (which begins about July or October, 2016), and will take about 3 or 4 years to complete.

02 Park Ave

What does it mean "These new ramps will intersect Benigno Boulevard at a signalized intersection."?  Is this anotherBreezewood in the making?

Is there a map available for this project?
C-o-H

NE2

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on May 29, 2015, 01:52:17 PM
What does it mean "These new ramps will intersect Benigno Boulevard at a signalized intersection."?
"the relocation of the existing access ramps to Route 42 northbound from Leaf Avenue...will intersect Benigno Boulevard at a signalized intersection."
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on May 29, 2015, 01:52:17 PM
What does it mean "These new ramps will intersect Benigno Boulevard at a signalized intersection."?  Is this anotherBreezewood in the making?

Is there a map available for this project?

It's within the previous sentence, although it's not very clear: "Additional improvements related to this project will include...the relocation of the existing access ramps to Route 42 northbound from Leaf Avenue. These new ramps will intersect Benigno Boulevard at a signalized intersection."

The good news, to alleviate any worries:  The new ramps between 42 & 295 will be direct, and won't have any Breezewood-type intersections. (*)

If you look at the present Exit 14 interchange, traffic to & from Rt. 42 North utilizes Leaf Rd.  They are going to shift these ramps slightly south, closer to Rt. 55.  The new Exit 14 Interchange will come to a 'T' intersection on Benigno Blvd. 

The 5th lane advertised is a fairly short auxiliary lane.  Rt. 55 North onto Rt. 42 North will become 2 lanes, which the overpass has always been designed for.  The far right lane will exit directly onto the ramp for 295 South just after the Turnpike overpass.

I don't know of any internet-accessible maps of the proposed interchange, although some vague maps can be found within the documents for the 295/76/42 direct connection.  I imagine there will be some maps and graphics at the upcoming meeting, which I can take and scan/post afterwards.

(*): One of the reasons the project has been delayed is that a developer that wanted to build a new shopping center in the area wanted better access to his development, and he did propose that the ramps have intersections that would provide access to his development.  NJDOT, the overly kind neighbor that they are, listened to the issues.  The long story short: NJDOT decided to go with their original plans, which is a direct ramp between the two highways.

jeffandnicole

J Route Z

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 30, 2015, 08:57:14 AM
NJ State Trooper killed on 195 when car spins out of control after hitting deer.

http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf/2015/05/state_trooper_killed_after_vehicle_hits_deer_on_ro.html#incart_river_mobile

RIP
The deer population on roads in the state have increased tenfold.

02 Park Ave

It has also increased in the neighbourhoods.
C-o-H

storm2k

The cantilever overhead for Exit 14A (22EB) on 287 NB has been taken down, due to the ongoing 22 construction. This is one of the signs that whose control city was changed from New York to Newark. The sign itself dates from 1998 when all of 287 south of Exit 21 received new signage.

roadman65

Speaking of US 22 construction are they anywhere near completing the Chimney Rock Road Interchange?

Also, I am impressed now that NYC is gone from US 22 E and replaced with "Newark" as even when I-78 was signed for "Newark" before 1998 that exit was always "New York" and it always seemed weird that the arterial would get the nation's largest city before the freeway would..

IMO, I think Greenbrook should be used to keep in uniform with NJ 17 and NJ 23 which are also signed with "Newark" from other area roads where the respected interchanges are located with them along 287, but use the first town along them in the direction of Newark.  For instance NJ 23 SB is signed "Wayne" and NJ 17 SB is signed "Mahwah" despite NJ's largest city being signed as control city for both routes in their SB direction.  Also US 1 NB should be "Woodbridge" and southbound US 1 should be changed to "New Brunswick" in addition instead of "Trenton" and "Newark" which are both there on that and nearby GSP.

Sheryl Crowe

ixnay

The Delaware thread has been sidetracked to shunpiking (within and outside of DE) but this post pertains to a NJ road so I'll use this sub-board...

There is a Shunpike Road in Cape May County...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Shunpike+Rd,+Cape+May,+NJ+08204/@38.9563895,-74.9264708,16z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x89bf550abddb580d:0xf0f33b6f5fd47f3d

Was the present day Seashore Road (which passes Cold Spring Village) once a toll rd. (in horse and buggy days), hence the construction of Shunpike Road?

ixnay

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.