News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on August 25, 2016, 10:53:03 PM
NJ-18 shields have been added to the signs for Exit 8 on 287. It only took 22 years. i assume that this sign will need to be replaced. it was replaced in the early aughts after the original from 1994 (with space for the shield) was knocked down several times over the years. much like the replacement signs for Exit 9, they spaced out the words on a full sized BGS instead of either a smaller sign or leaving the space.
Added to the existing signs? I need to see this!!

dgolub

Quote from: Alps on August 26, 2016, 12:45:38 AM
NJ-18 shields have been added to the signs for Exit 8 on 287. It only took 22 years. i assume that this sign will need to be replaced. it was replaced in the early aughts after the original from 1994 (with space for the shield) was knocked down several times over the years. much like the replacement signs for Exit 9, they spaced out the words on a full sized BGS instead of either a smaller sign or leaving the space.

Clinchathon, anyone?

odditude

are they cutouts or do they have the black background?

roadman65

So Cenntenial Avenue and Possumtown Road are now signed for NJ 18 from I-287.  That is interesting.  Too bad they don't replace Highland Park with "New Brunswick" now that NJ 18 provided direct access to that particular city.

Highland Park is useless being you have to exit onto River Road and even before, it was even more complicated before NJ 18 got its freeway defaulted into Hoes Lane.  You had to turn onto Meltars Lane and then again at River Road, but first making a left on Cenntenial to access Hoes, all in which there were no follow up signs to further guide you.  Even now as you list a smaller city in the shadow of a larger one, where the straight through freeway transits the unmentioned one and does not even directly serve the other.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: odditude on August 26, 2016, 10:01:55 AM
are they cutouts or do they have the black background?

They have the black background.

Took me quite by surprise. If I wasn't driving, I would have grabbed a couple of pictures.

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on August 26, 2016, 01:07:24 PM
So Cenntenial Avenue and Possumtown Road are now signed for NJ 18 from I-287.  That is interesting.  Too bad they don't replace Highland Park with "New Brunswick" now that NJ 18 provided direct access to that particular city.

Highland Park is useless being you have to exit onto River Road and even before, it was even more complicated before NJ 18 got its freeway defaulted into Hoes Lane.  You had to turn onto Meltars Lane and then again at River Road, but first making a left on Cenntenial to access Hoes, all in which there were no follow up signs to further guide you.  Even now as you list a smaller city in the shadow of a larger one, where the straight through freeway transits the unmentioned one and does not even directly serve the other.

Hell, even River Rd is not a great way to get to Highland Park (but then again River Rd is not a great way to get anywhere, but that's for another thread). It would make more sense to sign it for Newbie, since both 27 and Easton Ave aren't exactly great ways to get there from 287.

_Simon

Been waiting since I was 6 for that shield to be there.  I had to convince Steve years ago that's what the empty space was for...

SM-G930V

noelbotevera

Quote from: _Simon on August 28, 2016, 02:12:48 PM

Been waiting since I was 6 for that shield to be there.  I had to convince Steve years ago that's what the empty space was for...

SM-G930V
Speaking of this interchange, it looks like there's a space for a suffix. Was this supposed to be the freeway ending of NJ 18 or what?
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: noelbotevera on August 28, 2016, 02:20:41 PM
Quote from: _Simon on August 28, 2016, 02:12:48 PM

SM-G930V
Speaking of this interchange, it looks like there's a space for a suffix. Was this supposed to be the freeway ending of NJ 18 or what?

Yes, NJ 18 was supposed to be an interchange. When the reality hit that it never would happen, it's been left like that. However, like Simon, I've waited for a long time for that 18 shield to appear.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

roadman65

There is also a blank space on the bottom too!  Looks like they made more provisions or ordered the wrong size sign.   Anyway, is this not in violation of the MUTCD with street names and town names on the same sign?

Not that I care as it never bothered me to having that anyway, but you would then either have to leave off the Centennial Avenue or eliminate Middlesex and Highland Park.  However I am aware of the grandfather clause, but if NJDOT did have to choose it would be keep the control cities and eliminate the Centennial Avenue.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeek Adam

The exits led to Possumtown Road and Centennial Avenue, so until NJ 18, it seemed reasonable. I personally think there is no issue, but there is the hometown bias on that one.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

vdeane

I would assume the space at the bottom may have been intended for a second arrow had the NJ 18 freeway been completed.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman65

IMO I think it sucks that the feds won't let street names and cities be on the same sign, but that is me.  I do not even like that the MUTCD forbids more than 2 control cities, as I always loved the Parkway (and other NJ roads) with having 3 of them unlike many other states.  Exit 136 in Cranford always was interesting as well as former Exit 131 that had three as well.  Now the new signs on the Parkway only list two as per MUTCD.

Anyway, am glad finally that Route 18 is finished to I-287, even though it will never get to reach Route 22 as originally planned just like its south end ending at Route 138 instead of the former Brielle Circle like intended as well.  At least this is a major accomplishment as this is a big help to Middlesex County.

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

Wonder what the SLD will show as the north "end" of NJ-18 when its updates. Right now its basically a wye. One goes up Possumtown Rd. to the I-287 overpass and the other goes up Centennial to the I-287 south onramp.

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on August 30, 2016, 10:34:00 AM
There is also a blank space on the bottom too!  Looks like they made more provisions or ordered the wrong size sign.   Anyway, is this not in violation of the MUTCD with street names and town names on the same sign?

Not that I care as it never bothered me to having that anyway, but you would then either have to leave off the Centennial Avenue or eliminate Middlesex and Highland Park.  However I am aware of the grandfather clause, but if NJDOT did have to choose it would be keep the control cities and eliminate the Centennial Avenue.

The signs are from 1994. What's on them was perfectly copacetic at the time. They tacked the 18 shields on last week.

roadman65

I am kind of thinking that.  Yes the current one's were added in 1994, as the old diagramical signs were there when I left in 1990 still.  Even when Randophville Road was made a complete interchange it for a short while received the diagram panel for SB I-287 until 1994.  In fact it was 1994 that the section of I-287 south of Basking Ridge got exit numbers. 

For decades it never had them due to the Somerset Freeway debate, as the mileage zero point was near Durham Avenue in South Plainfield. I-95 would have tied in somewhere in the vicinity of the Prudential Building and CR 501, NJ 27, and US 1 would have had I-95's scheme denoting its mileage from Scudder Falls Bridge. 

What was very odd was back in 1984 and 1985, when I worked for AT&T in Somerset, I used the route to commute.  It had three exits only with Exit numbers on them that struck me odd.  River Road, signed as Route 18 at the time, was Exit 5, CR 527 had the Exit 6 tabs, and Weston Canal Road was signed as Exit 7.  NJ 28 had no assigned number and so did all the other Piscataway exits and US Route 22. Why NJDOT left some out when they gave those three exits numbers was beyond me. 

In addition some other oddities took place.  Current Exit 17 was Exit 13 not that the old numbers were odd, but it only got numbers for a sign replacement of the two at exit guides in the late 1970's and was the only ones around for there.  I-78 was without number, but nearby former Exit 18 got numbers which is the US 202 & 206 Bedminster interchange.  Then CR 525 was left without any exit number and the N. Maple Avenue interchange was half signed. Going NB it had no numbers, but SB it did.  That was most likely done because for many years that particular interchange was a freeway terminus, as from N. Maple Avenue to Route 10 was completed after NJDOT made it mandatory to use exit numbers.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on September 01, 2016, 09:19:43 AM
I am kind of thinking that.  Yes the current one's were added in 1994, as the old diagramical signs were there when I left in 1990 still.  Even when Randophville Road was made a complete interchange it for a short while received the diagram panel for SB I-287 until 1994.  In fact it was 1994 that the section of I-287 south of Basking Ridge got exit numbers. 

For decades it never had them due to the Somerset Freeway debate, as the mileage zero point was near Durham Avenue in South Plainfield. I-95 would have tied in somewhere in the vicinity of the Prudential Building and CR 501, NJ 27, and US 1 would have had I-95's scheme denoting its mileage from Scudder Falls Bridge. 

What was very odd was back in 1984 and 1985, when I worked for AT&T in Somerset, I used the route to commute.  It had three exits only with Exit numbers on them that struck me odd.  River Road, signed as Route 18 at the time, was Exit 5, CR 527 had the Exit 6 tabs, and Weston Canal Road was signed as Exit 7.  NJ 28 had no assigned number and so did all the other Piscataway exits and US Route 22. Why NJDOT left some out when they gave those three exits numbers was beyond me. 

In addition some other oddities took place.  Current Exit 17 was Exit 13 not that the old numbers were odd, but it only got numbers for a sign replacement of the two at exit guides in the late 1970's and was the only ones around for there.  I-78 was without number, but nearby former Exit 18 got numbers which is the US 202 & 206 Bedminster interchange.  Then CR 525 was left without any exit number and the N. Maple Avenue interchange was half signed. Going NB it had no numbers, but SB it did.  That was most likely done because for many years that particular interchange was a freeway terminus, as from N. Maple Avenue to Route 10 was completed after NJDOT made it mandatory to use exit numbers.

Actually, they only put up new signs at 14A SB in 1994 and they were signed for Exit 11 for four or five years. The signs for 202/206 (which were early 80s standard non-reflective button copy showing Exit 13) and 78 (had a couple of the old diagram signs and no exit numbers) happened in 1997 when they rebuilt the dual lanes section. Everything else south of there did not get resigned until 1998-99, at which time they renumbered everything properly to reflect Mile 0 being the Turnpike, not the old Somerset Fwy point.

roadman65

I am guessing why I-287 waited so long was if you had the real milepost exits at the time the Somerset Freeway was in debate, you would have had Exit 1 at Stelton Road and then would have had to use proposed I-95 mileage for Durham Avenue, CR 501, NJ 27, and US 1 exits.  Plus the numbers for both would go opposite too which really would have been confusing.  Heck that is why NJDOT never signed the I-95 planned part of I-287 as I-95 to avoid confusion then.

Yes I remember now the gore only exit signs at US 22 just like at US 202/ 206 in Bridgewater.  That exit had large diagramical signs with no exit number, and later on at the two SB exits button copy overheads were added with Exit 13 and even US 22 West was added to the sign for lack of WB exit ahead.  Even New York was added on the I-287 SB pull through there as I-78 was not yet completed and motorists were directed off of I-78 E Bound at I-287 (only local traffic was signed for straight through to avoid extra traffic being dumped onto the streets of Watchung trying to reach US 22) and to go south to US 22 East.  That was why "New York" was always the control city for US 22 East as leftovers from the pre I-78 Watchung completion in 1986.

Sheryl Crowe

dgolub

Quote from: NJRoadfan on August 31, 2016, 08:31:57 PM
Wonder what the SLD will show as the north "end" of NJ-18 when its updates. Right now its basically a wye. One goes up Possumtown Rd. to the I-287 overpass and the other goes up Centennial to the I-287 south onramp.

I'd guess that one of them will be shown as 18 and the other as 18Z or something along those lines.

_Simon

Quote from: roadman65 on August 30, 2016, 10:34:00 AM
There is also a blank space on the bottom too!

No,  the arrow is just off-center because it's placed over the exit lane,  like all of the other signs from the era.   It's possible a second exit lane was planned but there's no reason to believe that's the case -- there are and were other signs with similarly placed arrows on other exits.

_Simon

Any known pics of these?  I remember these as a kid and have been trying to find them for years.

I-78 was without number, but nearby former Exit 18 got numbers which is the US 202 & 206 Bedminster interchange.
Don't forget that there used to be an on-ramp from US-202/206 south to I-287 NB, removed due to weaving.

D-Dey65

Hey, I'm just wondering now; Does anybody have any pictures of the old toll fare light boxes at the toll plaza of the Palisades Interstate Parkway as it approaches the George Washington Bridge? I know they had fares for other types of vehicles besides cars, and it really didn't seem appropriate on that road, but I'd just like to know if anyone else is familiar with them.

roadman65

Quote from: _Simon on September 05, 2016, 03:07:00 AM
Any known pics of these?  I remember these as a kid and have been trying to find them for years.

I-78 was without number, but nearby former Exit 18 got numbers which is the US 202 & 206 Bedminster interchange.
Don't forget that there used to be an on-ramp from US-202/206 south to I-287 NB, removed due to weaving.
Thought so about the on ramp there.  I was checking out GSV and noticed it was gone.  Was wondering about that one.  Anyway that ramp was redundant anyhow because a left turn was always allowed at the one roadway that acts as connection to I-287 N Bound.

If I am not mistaken, I believe the NB I-287 to SB US 202 & 206 was added sometime in the 70's as originally it was only a NB only exit using the cloverleaf ramp that is there now.  SB always had the ramp it has now, and the NB ramp as is now from US 202 & 206 was there.  If my memory is correct then there were missing movements from NB 287 to SB US 202 & 206 and from NB US 202 & 206 to SB 287 in the original form.  Of course the NB US 202 & 206 to SB 287 is still missing as the River Road jughandle allows for a u turn to the SB side as well as lets SB 287 access to SB US 202 & 206 as the SB 22 ramp is for NB US 202 & 206.

Sheryl Crowe

Zeffy

Yesterday I noticed a large amount of construction going on at the Flemington Circle... I didn't have my dash cam running, but it appears they are building an additional lane heading south on US 202. Does anyone know the exact specifications of the project?

It almost seems like they are finally getting rid of the circle...
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Zeffy on September 06, 2016, 09:37:30 AM
Yesterday I noticed a large amount of construction going on at the Flemington Circle... I didn't have my dash cam running, but it appears they are building an additional lane heading south on US 202. Does anyone know the exact specifications of the project?

It almost seems like they are finally getting rid of the circle...

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=10453.msg2121022;topicseen#msg2121022

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.