News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 07, 2021, 07:38:31 AM
Quote from: Alps on July 07, 2021, 12:22:26 AM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 06, 2021, 12:21:17 PM
Quote from: mariethefoxy on June 19, 2021, 05:52:31 PM
I mistook complete for being open. I figured it was complete like the whole project was done.

I have not seen any news articles stating that the Wittpenn Bridge is open.  I have been considering taking two hours out of my US 206 roadtrip on July 16th just to drive it.

Am I missing something Alps?
The bridge is complete. The approaches aren't.

Thank you for clarifying.
Re-update: Signing and some striping is up. Approaches are complete.

famartin

Quote from: Alps on July 12, 2021, 07:20:03 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 07, 2021, 07:38:31 AM
Quote from: Alps on July 07, 2021, 12:22:26 AM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 06, 2021, 12:21:17 PM
Quote from: mariethefoxy on June 19, 2021, 05:52:31 PM
I mistook complete for being open. I figured it was complete like the whole project was done.

I have not seen any news articles stating that the Wittpenn Bridge is open.  I have been considering taking two hours out of my US 206 roadtrip on July 16th just to drive it.

Am I missing something Alps?
The bridge is complete. The approaches aren't.

Thank you for clarifying.
Re-update: Signing and some striping is up. Approaches are complete.

Open complete or closed but complete? I'll be up that way within the week (but will also be back in September if not sooner, so if its not ready yet, not a big deal for me).

Mr. Matté

Started my week-long South Jersey roadgeeking trip today, it looks like NJ 87 now has enhanced mileposts, but of the SJTA variety- same spec as the NJDOT ones but one forward facing every 0.1 miles (excluding MM 0.0 and on the NJDOT bridge into Brigantine). Nothing else really earth shattering from what I saw today except for some US/circle shield swaps around US 40/NJ 140/NJ 48 and the lack of any remediation of the retaining wall collapse from April at the 42/295 interchange.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Mr. Matté on July 12, 2021, 08:38:43 PM

Started my week-long South Jersey roadgeeking trip today, it looks like NJ 87 now has enhanced mileposts, but of the SJTA variety- same spec as the NJDOT ones but one forward facing every 0.1 miles (excluding MM 0.0 and on the NJDOT bridge into Brigantine). Nothing else really earth shattering from what I saw today except for some US/circle shield swaps around US 40/NJ 140/NJ 48 and the lack of any remediation of the retaining wall collapse from April at the 42/295 interchange.

The most I've seen from that wall collapse is possibly some dark-colored dirt/loose asphalt covering the exposed dirt.  But they certainly aren't quickly rebuilding it.

If you looked at the right moment, you may have seen they are finally building the temporary Browning Road overpass off to the side where the cemetery is located.

Mr. Matté

Eh, wasn't focused on the Browning Road area. Since this isn't my neck of the woods, I was looking out for the bigger things (in addition to the driving itself around the small radius lane shifts and sunken type A inlets), like the unexpected-to-me bridge pier progress on the 42 N/295 S ramps. I did see coming in from the south the really high Wawa gas station sign and am amazed how something like that would have gotten through the local planning board.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Mr. Matté on July 12, 2021, 10:43:10 PM
Eh, wasn't focused on the Browning Road area. Since this isn't my neck of the woods, I was looking out for the bigger things (in addition to the driving itself around the small radius lane shifts and sunken type A inlets), like the unexpected-to-me bridge pier progress on the 42 N/295 S ramps. I did see coming in from the south the really high Wawa gas station sign and am amazed how something like that would have gotten through the local planning board.

From my perspective, the 295/42 missing moves project has been coming along very well, and nearly all of the bridge piers are in place at this point.  A bit of work to do on the Rt. 42 side, but there's still 2 years left in the timing of this project.

That large Wawa sign is a bit surprising, especially as most Wawas located alongside highways in the state generally don't have such signage.  Not sure how often Wawa attempts to build such signage, although Bellmawr obviously granted them the variance.  In my town, a Dunkin Donuts wanted a sign in a non-residential area to be tall for highway visibility, and the town turned them down.

storm2k

Quote from: artmalk on July 12, 2021, 04:33:04 PM
The signs for I-280 are not that old.

Which signs are you referring to?

famartin

Quote from: storm2k on July 13, 2021, 11:02:08 PM

Many on I-280 were replaced in the early 2010's. To which are you referring that ARE that old?  There are a few that date at least to the 90s, for sure, but 90s isn't all that old by NJDOT standards (most of the signs on 287 are 90s era, I believe).

storm2k

Quote from: famartin on July 13, 2021, 11:04:24 PM

Many on I-280 were replaced in the early 2010's. To which are you referring that ARE that old?  There are a few that date at least to the 90s, for sure, but 90s isn't all that old by NJDOT standards (most of the signs on 287 are 90s era, I believe).

280 got a bunch of new signage in the Oranges and Newark in the 2010s, but a lot of signage west of there was replaced in the 90s and only put up on old structures. Think the one at 5B that came down in the early 2010s and is only getting replaced now.

And yes, as far as 287 goes, most everything north of 78 was installed in ~1993-94 or so on new structures around the time they started the HOV lanes and also finally finishing the roadway all the way to Mahwah. There have been some replacements since then slowly but surely (most of the signage near 80, the new sign bridge that is near 22A). South of 78 down to 22, all that signage went up in 1997, also on new structures, with the exception of the signage for 14A southbound, which also went up in 1994. South of 22 down to the Turnpike, that signage went up in 1998, and that was all on new structures as well. Everything south of 78 was replacing the old "experimental" diagrammatic signage.

Alps

Quote from: famartin on July 13, 2021, 11:04:24 PM

There's trace amounts of button copy left, all reflective. Anything good in Newark is long gone.

storm2k

Couple of quick pictures I grabbed of new signage on 440 today. There's a bunch of it on ramps and stuff both at the 514/Turnpike and  9/Parkway exits and several in Perth Amboy coming SB from the OBX. Still a bunch of mainline replacements to go, but pretty much all the footings are done and it's a matter of time before new structures and signs will be up.

New sign bridge for 514 exits. The WB sign is weirdly tall and thin so it only fits over the exit only lane. Not a typical NJDOT thing.

New sign bridge awaiting install approaching the 9/Parkway/Smith St exit. Would very much have preferred if they kept Smith St and DOWNTOWN Perth Amboy off this sign and instead just moved that to an aux BGS before the exit and instead just signed Woodbridge as a control city (works for both Parkway and Rt 9)

More will follow whenever they get more signs up and I can get back down that way.

NJRoadfan

No "G S Parkway" that is typical on NJDOT signs. Its nice to see stuff finally getting replaced here though. The old signs were way too small to fit the required amount of information they had to convey. Also NJDOT doesn't seem to care about the MUTCD changes prohibiting bridges as control cities :P

SignBridge

I don't think the MUTCD prohibits showing a bridge or tunnel name in addition to the control city or destination.

From the above photos it appears that NJDOT is still providing lighting of new overhead signs. Surprising since New York DOT abolished that practice, at least in Long Island's Region-10 when they converted to the newer, much higher reflective sheeting some years back. They actually removed the lighting fixtures from their existing sign gantries with the new signs. 

NJRoadfan

Hopefully its LED. NJDOT seems to waiver between lights and no lights on new installs.

roadman65

Did they add control cities for Route 9 south?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: SignBridge on July 14, 2021, 08:38:33 PM
I don't think the MUTCD prohibits showing a bridge or tunnel name in addition to the control city or destination.

From the above photos it appears that NJDOT is still providing lighting of new overhead signs. Surprising since New York DOT abolished that practice, at least in Long Island's Region-10 when they converted to the newer, much higher reflective sheeting some years back. They actually removed the lighting fixtures from their existing sign gantries with the new signs. 

NJDOT stopped for a long time. Like, a very long time. In the past couple of years, they've started bringing back LED standards on new signage in some places. Feels like the LEDs don't last for a long time tho.

As for the control cities issue, I doubt NJDOT will change its stance ever. I just find that sign to be too cluttered. Rt 9's control city at this point is Woodbridge and I would just prefer that with Smith St/Downtown Perth Amboy on an aux sign before the exit.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: Mr. Matté on July 12, 2021, 08:38:43 PM

Piggybacking on my earlier deviation, the Cumberland Co portion of NJ 347 also has enhanced mileposts every 1/2 mile now, again based on the standard design but posted on U-Posts with a green reflective strip inside the channel like other Cumberland mileposts (which are otherwise still just the "MILE #" style).

EDIT: Pics of what's noted above

SignBridge

Wittpenn Bridge Update: I went past it this week while riding a PATH train. The bridge itself and the eastern approach appear to be complete. However the western approach still has work being done and the roadway is cluttered with construction vehicles, etc. But it's almost there.

74/171FAN

As of today, the work of widening US 322 to 4 lanes between US 130 and I-295 is mostly complete.  All 4 lanes are open to traffic.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alps

Quote from: SignBridge on July 16, 2021, 08:57:07 PM
Wittpenn Bridge Update: I went past it this week while riding a PATH train. The bridge itself and the eastern approach appear to be complete. However the western approach still has work being done and the roadway is cluttered with construction vehicles, etc. But it's almost there.
The whole thing looks like it's done (from a vehicular perspective) but it's clear they're doing surficial work on various items still.

NJRoadfan

Checked out the US-22/Chestnut St. (CR-619) overpass construction site today. NJDOT has finished shifting eastbound traffic onto the westbound side of the existing bridge. Westbound traffic is using a temporary bailey bridge. Demolition of the eastbound side should be starting shortly.

jeffandnicole

Small plane piloted by 18 year old makes emergency landing on the Route 52 Causeway (aka 9th Street Bridge) between Somers Point and OCNJ. Smooth landing with no injuries or other issues other than some traffic delays. 

https://www.inquirer.com/news/ocean-city-bridge-plane-emergency-landing-traffic-20210719.html

https://6abc.com/plane-emergency-landing-9th-street-bridge-ocean-city-new-jersey/10897436/

famartin

Finally got around to trying out the 206 bypass in Hillsborough.

storm2k

Ah, I see they put up better EMMs since I went through there back in June. Those white "Bypass" tabs do look pretty temporary, which gives me hope that they'll actually get around to pulling 206 off the original 2 lane road and routing it only on the bypass at some point instead of just leaving it all in a limbo state.

vdeane

I think it's interesting how all the signage is there.  It's like NJDOT is hedging their bets as to whether US 206 will be moved or not and wants the signage to work either way.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.