News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New years resolution

Started by Roadgeekteen, December 31, 2018, 08:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

kphoger

To only get on the internet on my cell phone if it is for (a) educational purposes or (b) to play music–not for mindless surfing.

I've already failed.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

I don't make them, because I've learned that the flipping of the calendar is not really a big deal.

But if I did, I think mine this year would be not to read the comments sections of mainstream media news outlets' stories, especially liberal outlets like the NYT and WaPo. The fact that those commenters really believe what they are typing is scary. It's like a liberal echo chamber for the liberal-leaning stories.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on January 01, 2019, 04:23:17 PM
To only get on the internet on my cell phone if it is for (a) educational purposes or (b) to play music–not for mindless surfing.

I've already failed.
We have some vague designs towards not spending as much time on devices now that the baby is aware of devices. Probably need to read more books.

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 01, 2019, 04:34:03 PM

I've already failed.

We have some vague designs towards not spending as much time on devices now that the baby is aware of devices. Probably need to read more books.

Speaking of kids, I have a couple of ones related to my own.

I have resolved to start taking at least my two older sons on annual camping trips (our youngest isn't really old enough for hikes and whatnot).  This first one will probably be in April.  One advantage to home-schooling is that we can rearrange the boys' school schedule to our advantage when it comes to trips.  For example, it's a lot easier to snag a campsite on a Wednesday night than a Friday or Saturday night.

I have also resolved to get them outdoors more in general, and specifically to get my oldest son to the point where he can ride his bicycle around the neighborhood unsupervised.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on January 01, 2019, 04:42:52 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on January 01, 2019, 04:34:03 PM

I've already failed.

Speaking of kids, I have a couple of ones related to my own.

I have resolved to start taking at least my two older sons on annual camping trips (our youngest isn't really old enough for hikes and whatnot).  This first one will probably be in April.  One advantage to home-schooling is that we can rearrange the boys' school schedule to our advantage when it comes to trips.  For example, it's a lot easier to snag a campsite on a Wednesday night than a Friday or Saturday night.

I have also resolved to get them outdoors more in general, and specifically to get my oldest son to the point where he can ride his bicycle around the neighborhood unsupervised.
I'm not especially outdoorsy, but that's mainly because my parents weren't and didn't know how to learn to be outdoorsy. I need to change that.

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on January 01, 2019, 04:29:37 PM
I don't make them, because I've learned that the flipping of the calendar is not really a big deal.

But if I did, I think mine this year would be not to read the comments sections of mainstream media news outlets' stories, especially liberal outlets like the NYT and WaPo. The fact that those commenters really believe what they are typing is scary. It's like a liberal echo chamber for the liberal-leaning stories.

NYT and WaPo are not liberal outlets; they're neutral. Actual liberal outlets include Vox and HuffPost.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1 on January 01, 2019, 10:23:20 PM

NYT and WaPo are not liberal outlets; they're neutral. Actual liberal outlets include Vox and HuffPost.

The Washington Post is Neutral?   They jab at Trump in articles not even relevant to politics or the President.

formulanone

I think mine this year would be not to read the comments sections [...]

Pretty good idea to follow that for anything and everything, unless it's an area in which you have no idea what you're doing (examples: repairing something unfamiliar or new to a hobby/pastime).

Never understood the point of New Year's Resolutions; if I want to stop doing something, you just start doing the right thing...now, as in NOW.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 01, 2019, 10:33:20 PM

The Washington Post is Neutral?   They jab at Trump in articles not even relevant to politics or the President.

The most liberal newspaper I know is not really a newspaper, but it't Now this news. It's crazy.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

US71

I need to spend more time on my projects.  I have 2-3 articles in various stages of completion for Jefferson Highway, plus a possible road-related book ...maybe a second one, eventually.

I just need to learn to be more focused.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

webny99

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 01, 2019, 10:33:20 PM

They probably claim neutrality, but in this era, you can just state the facts and still come across as biased to people who's preconceptions are on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Ben114

Let's bump this for 2020! How did everyone do from 2019?

Quote from: Ben114 on January 01, 2019, 01:12:28 PM
mine is to pass my driving test (you can see me age)

Me one year ago did not understand how it went in MA, where you have to get your permit, wait six months (with a clean record), and then pass the road test.

I had gotten my permit back in October (that was the test I was referring to), and now have two and a half months with a clean record, hopefully going to pass my road test in the spring.

tolbs17

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.