News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Minnesota county route discussion

Started by TheHighwayMan3561, March 30, 2019, 07:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

It's been expressed by a few of us to itemize which counties use square shields and which use the blue pentagons (or both), so I thought I'd get it going for us finally. Note that MnDOT installs can often differ from the county practice.

St. Louis County has adopted the pentagon for many uses in the last couple years.

Aitkin: square
Anoka: pentagon
Becker: square
Beltrami: both
Benton: pentagon
Big Stone:
Blue Earth: pentagon
Brown:
Carlton: square
Carver: square
Cass: square
Chippewa:
Chisago: pentagon
Clay: square
Clearwater: both
Cook: transitioned to pentagon, some squares remain
Cottonwood:
Crow Wing: square
Dakota: both
Dodge:
Douglas: pentagon/both
Faribault: both
Fillmore:
Freeborn:
Goodhue:
Grant:
Hennepin: pentagon
Houston: square
Hubbard:
Isanti: both
Itasca: square
Jackson: pentagon
Kanabec: square
Kandiyohi:
Kittson:
Koochiching: square
Lac qui Parle:
Lake: square
Lake of the Woods: square
Le Sueur: square
Lincoln:
Lyon:
McLeod:
Mahnomen:
Marshall:
Martin: square
Meeker:
Mille Lacs: square
Morrison: both
Mower: pentagon
Murray:
Nicollet:
Nobles:
Norman:
Olmsted: square
Otter Tail: square
Pennington:
Pine: square
Pipestone:
Polk:
Pope:
Ramsey: pentagon
Red Lake:
Redwood:
Renville:
Rice:
Rock:
Roseau: I know I got a photo of one damned ugly pentagon, at least
St. Louis: both
Scott: pentagon
Sherburne: square
Sibley:
Stearns: both
Steele:
Stevens:
Swift:
Todd:
Traverse:
Wabasha: square
Wadena:
Waseca:
Washington: pentagon
Watonwan:
Wilkin: pentagon
Winona: square
Wright: pentagon, but possibly both - the recently commissioned CR 137 is squares
Yellow Medicine:
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 30, 2019, 07:15:30 PM
St. Louis County appears to be in a swift transition from squares to pentagons.

You sure about that? I mean, you'd almost certainly know better than me, but with the hundreds of numbered county routes in the county, that seems really unlikely.

Further info I can add, from reviewing my archive of county route pictures:

Beltrami, Clearwater, Faribault use both.
Becker, Le Sueur, Martin use squares.
Jackson uses pentagons.
Morrison definitely uses both, not just pentagons.

And from the county route signs in my collection, I can also confirm that Renville and Norman also use (or at least, used to use) both.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on March 30, 2019, 07:32:30 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 30, 2019, 07:15:30 PM
St. Louis County appears to be in a swift transition from squares to pentagons.

You sure about that? I mean, you'd almost certainly know better than me, but with the hundreds of numbered county routes in the county, that seems really unlikely.

I was surprised as well by my day trip yesterday how many pentagons I saw. The minor routes are still squares, much like in Cook County, but the major routes have been largely changed.

MNHighwayMan

From the last time I spent a couple days driving around in St. Louis County (July 2017), I would agree that major routes used pentagons, and minor routes were squares. I just have a hard time believing that the county is going to transition all the minor routes to pentagons, given the increased cost that has to have (and maybe also the difficulty of fitting three digits into the pentagon!)

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on March 30, 2019, 07:47:59 PM
From the last time I spent a couple days driving around in St. Louis County (July 2017), I would agree that major routes used pentagons, and minor routes were squares. I just have a hard time believing that the county is going to transition all the minor routes to pentagons, given the increased cost that has to have (and maybe also the difficulty of fitting three digits into the pentagon!)

I did see a CR 100 pentagon yesterday, and it was a smushed fit. :D

Anyway I changed it to "both"  since I made it more unclear then I intended.

kphoger

Holy cow, this is an undertaking!  At least you're not attempting to explain what pentagons mean and what white squares mean in each of the counties that use both, because that would be monumental.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: kphoger on March 30, 2019, 08:21:49 PM
Holy cow, this is an undertaking!  At least you're not attempting to explain what pentagons mean and what white squares mean in each of the counties that use both, because that would be monumental.

At least in Isanti and Stearns counties, the difference is that pentagons signal county state aid routes (county routes that receive additional funds from the state) versus squares on normal county highways (only funded from county money.) I say "at least," because there might be other reasons in other places.

TheHighwayMan3561

I'll let froggie handle that one. :)

Milepost61

Fillmore: Pentagon
Houston: Square
Olmstead: Square
Wabasha: Square
Winona: Square

DandyDan

The rural southern portion of Dakota County has several square shields. I also know I've seen County 4 in WSP and SSP with squares.

Rice County uses squares with a font for the numbers I haven't seen any other county use.
Steele County has squares.
Nobles County has both, but pentagons are for CSAH routes.
Rock County has squares which seem like half the size of any other county with squares.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

kphoger

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on March 30, 2019, 08:26:15 PM

At least in Isanti and Stearns counties, the difference is that pentagons signal county state aid routes (county routes that receive additional funds from the state) versus squares on normal county highways (only funded from county money.) I say "at least," because there might be other reasons in other places.

Certainly.  I've seen counties that use squares for JCT assemblies but pentagons for reassurance markers, for example.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

FightingIrish

Having gone to Mankato State, I'm pretty sure Blue Earth uses pentagons.

DJ Particle

Hennepin's used pentagons for at least as long as I've lived there (21 years).  What used to floor me back when I was first doing geekage of my new home, is the concept of county FREEWAYS.  Sadly, the final one (CSAH-122, as small as it is) was converted to an expressway when the light rail Green Line was built.  The others (CSAH-18, CSAH-62... now US-169 and MN-62 respectively) had been turned to state maintenance already by the time I moved here.

Curious...was CSAH-122 ever re-routed off the now "bus-only" section of Washington Ave, or is that still 122?

formulanone

Ah, I wondered why I'd seen both in a few places; this example is on MN 47:

froggie

Quote from: DJ Particle
Curious...was CSAH-122 ever re-routed off the now "bus-only" section of Washington Ave, or is that still 122?

Eliminated entirely in 2011 as part of the LRT project.  CSAH 122 now ends at the ramps in front of the Weisman monstrosity.

DJ Particle

hockeyjohn

Polk County uses this approach, too.

invincor

I know Goodhue and Washington use white squares, but I don't know if they do so exclusively.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.