News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-80 WB @ US 30/New Lenox, IL 12/26/2019

Started by ilpt4u, December 26, 2019, 05:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilpt4u

I-80 Westbound has been closed since this morning (Dec 26th) for a Hazmat-related accident. That's a long closure for a Chicagoland Expressway...All Traffic is being diverted to I-355 NB

Any of the Northern Illinoisians have a bit more of a scoop than Newsradio 780 AM?

edwaleni

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 26, 2019, 05:32:40 PM
I-80 Westbound has been closed since this morning (Dec 26th) for a Hazmat-related accident. That's a long closure for a Chicagoland Expressway...All Traffic is being diverted to I-355 NB

Any of the Northern Illinoisians have a bit more of a scoop than Newsradio 780 AM?

Semi Rollover Blocks I-80 Lanes Near New Lenox, Prompts Hazmat Response

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/rollover-semi-crash-closes-i-80-near-i-355/2193116/

QuoteThe tractor was carrying phosphoric acid that was leaking from the trailer, police said. On-scene officials estimate that approximately 100 gallons of the substance leaked from the vehicle.

ilpt4u

Probably ultimately good that the leaking phosphoric acid didn't make it to the Des Plaines River WB Bridge

I wonder if the closed WB lanes are due to continued HAZMAT cleanup or if the roadway was damaged

Almost a 12 hour closure so far, and counting

I wonder if ISTHA is waving Tolls at the US 6 Exit, just north of I-80

edwaleni

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 26, 2019, 08:25:54 PM
Probably ultimately good that the leaking phosphoric acid didn't make it to the Des Plaines River WB Bridge

I wonder if the closed WB lanes are due to continued HAZMAT cleanup or if the roadway was damaged

Almost a 12 hour closure so far, and counting

I wonder if ISTHA is waving Tolls at the US 6 Exit, just north of I-80

Not likely. Google Traffic is showing high traffic counts on US6 into Joliet all getting off I-355.

As for the acid, it was probably fertilizer grade, which is somewhat weak and at most is an irritant to the skin and eyes when exposed. If not for fertilizers, perhaps for a nearby soda factory (like Sprite or Coca-Cola).

But ILEPA probably had to get a ground crew to come in and remove the saturated dirt from the 100 gallon spill so it couldn't have any impacts to any nearby water sources.

ilpt4u

Google Traffic is also showing higher traffic, even at this hour, on the 355 NB->55 SB Loop Ramp

Guess some people are taking the All Interstate Detour...A drive through Downtown Joliet is still probably quicker than the All Interstate Detour

US 6/Southwest Hwy->Gouger Rd->US 30/Lincoln Hwy is a pretty decent detour back to I-80

Wonder if it will be reopened by AM Rush tomorrow?

I-80 is a pretty major freight route...Wonder what the favorite Truck Detours have been?

edwaleni

Per the Joliet Herald-News:

https://www.theherald-news.com/2019/12/26/i-80-lanes-closed-near-new-lenox-after-semitrailer-spills-phosphoric-acid/ar261f/

I-80 lanes closed near New Lenox after semitrailer spills phosphoric acid

The westbound lanes on Interstate 80 between Route 30 and Interstate 355 were shut down Thursday after a semitrailer rolled in a construction zone and leaked about 100 gallons of a colorless, corrosive liquid — triethyl phosphate — according to state police.

The crash occurred about 8 a.m. Thursday at mile marker 138 near New Lenox in the westbound lanes of I-80, according to a news release from Illinois State Police.

The driver, Percy A. Wells, 33, of Chicago attempted a lane change from the left lane to the right lane while he was heading west, police said.

It was during the lane change that Wells noticed that the trailer "began to sway uncontrollably,"  according to the release.

Wells reportedly lost control of the vehicle, which struck the guardrail, according to the release. The vehicle damaged about 200 feet of the guardrail before it overturned in a ditch.

Wells wasn't injured in the crash, according to the release.

The box trailer carried triethyl phosphate in liquid form. An estimated 100 gallons of the substance leaked from the vehicle, prompting a traffic diversion to "ensure the safety of everyone in the area,"  according to the release.

Triethyl phosphate, a derivative of phosphoric acid, appears as a colorless, corrosive liquid that is combustible and can severely irritate skin, eyes and mucous membranes, according to PubChem, a chemistry database run by the National Institutes of Health.

State police said the spill was contained Thursday and there was no immediate threat to the public. Firefighters and hazardous material cleanup crews were at the scene of the crash.The westbound lanes on Interstate 80 between Route 30 and Interstate 355 were shut down Thursday after a semitrailer rolled in a construction zone and leaked about 100 gallons of a colorless, corrosive liquid — triethyl phosphate — according to state police.

The crash occurred about 8 a.m. Thursday at mile marker 138 near New Lenox in the westbound lanes of I-80, according to a news release from Illinois State Police.

The driver, Percy A. Wells, 33, of Chicago attempted a lane change from the left lane to the right lane while he was heading west, police said.

It was during the lane change that Wells noticed that the trailer "began to sway uncontrollably,"  according to the release.

Wells reportedly lost control of the vehicle, which struck the guardrail, according to the release. The vehicle damaged about 200 feet of the guardrail before it overturned in a ditch.

Wells wasn't injured in the crash, according to the release.

The box trailer carried triethyl phosphate in liquid form. An estimated 100 gallons of the substance leaked from the vehicle, prompting a traffic diversion to "ensure the safety of everyone in the area,"  according to the release.

Triethyl phosphate, a derivative of phosphoric acid, appears as a colorless, corrosive liquid that is combustible and can severely irritate skin, eyes and mucous membranes, according to PubChem, a chemistry database run by the National Institutes of Health.

State police said the spill was contained Thursday and there was no immediate threat to the public. Firefighters and hazardous material cleanup crews were at the scene of the crash.

Wells was cited for improper lane usage and additional charges may be filed pending further investigation, according to the release.

The ISP kept the westbound lanes of I-80 between I-355 and Route 30 closed as of late Thursday afternoon, according to the release.

The investigation of the crash is ongoing.

The Illinois Department of Transportation and the Illinois Toll Highway Authority provided assistance with diverting traffic to alternate routes.

Wells was cited for improper lane usage and additional charges may be filed pending further investigation, according to the release.

The ISP kept the westbound lanes of I-80 between I-355 and Route 30 closed as of late Thursday afternoon, according to the release.

The investigation of the crash is ongoing.

The Illinois Department of Transportation and the Illinois Toll Highway Authority provided assistance with diverting traffic to alternate routes.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 26, 2019, 10:50:38 PM
Google Traffic is also showing higher traffic, even at this hour, on the 355 NB->55 SB Loop Ramp

Guess some people are taking the All Interstate Detour...A drive through Downtown Joliet is still probably quicker than the All Interstate Detour

US 6/Southwest Hwy->Gouger Rd->US 30/Lincoln Hwy is a pretty decent detour back to I-80

Wonder if it will be reopened by AM Rush tomorrow?

I-80 is a pretty major freight route...Wonder what the favorite Truck Detours have been?

To combine two of your points, I'd assume that freight trucks would mostly stick to the Interstates, for the sake of efficiency and for the sake of the top lids of their trailers, as downtown Joliet has a lot of low-clearance bridges under railroad tracks.  Even the US/state routes in downtown Joliet have to deal with clearance and width issues.  Truck drivers largely would have assumed that Interstates would be much friendlier as truck routes.  Detours are signed based on what is feasible for all traffic, not just passenger autos.

To entertain your idea of a shorter detour, though, trucks could have used I-355 N to US6 W to Gougar Rd S (county route) to US30 E back to I-80.  If the road is still blocked at US30, a detour could be I-355 N to US6W to Gougar Rd S (county) to US30 W to Briggs St S (county).  (Briggs St. north of US30 is limited to 14 tons.)
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.