News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdb1234

I drove FL 429 way back in August 2019.  I noted that the whole corridor south of CR 535 had all been developed (when it opened it was in the middle of nowhere).  I told my aunt about that, she told me that she was glad to get out of Orlando when she did.

formulanone

Discovered this button copy sign by chance on I-275:

(street view)

Quote from: roadman65 on April 01, 2020, 09:19:28 PM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/49714019293/in/dateposted-public/
A nicely kept Black US 98 shield in Perry, FL.

Sadly gone, after a search for it last month.

Avalanchez71

What is the county that best posts the blue pentagon county road signs?  What is the worse?

Are there actually any posted in Duval County?  I know there are none in Miami-Dade County.  Broward has like what one sign?

kevinb1994

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on March 31, 2021, 08:14:52 AM
What is the county that best posts the blue pentagon county road signs?  What is the worse?

Are there actually any posted in Duval County?  I know there are none in Miami-Dade County.  Broward has like what one sign?
I've just seen them via Street View on US 301 at/near 228. That would be in the Maxville area east of Macclenny (which is in neighboring Baker County).

Alex

I'll try to summarize what I have seen from my travels across the state.

Hernando and Pasco Counties have by far the best, with Pasco probably topping the list as they also post End and Begin shields.
Seminole is pretty good as well.

Citrus, Charlotte, Collier, Escambia and Santa Rosa are all pretty good at posting them.

Walton is pretty good about posting them, though they often use their own version of signage:

which includes some garbage too:

Calhoun, Holmes, Washington and Jackson are all pretty good about posting them. All three still had Keys shields for a lot of routes until recently. But there also exceptions as CR 164A east of Marianna is not posted at all.

Leon is pretty good about signing them, but do occasionally omit signs for their four digit routes.
Hamilton and Suwannee are pretty good about posting them
Polk is overall good outside city limits.
Sumter is pretty good as is Lake with exceptions at Clermont

Baker, Union and Bradford usually post them

Hit or miss:
Columbia, several around Lake City are not posted.
Okaloosa with only those north of I-10 with any signage.
Bay with many of the 4-digit routes unmarked. Franklin, though there are not many, CR 300 is no longer posted and CR 370 is not signed at all to Bald Point State Park.
Wakulla, CR 372 unmarked at US 98, nothing for CR 373A.
Jefferson, Madison with CR 253 unsigned
Pinellas is good with routes like CR 611 and CR 1, but their internal system varies with CR 184 signed well, but many others unmarked altogether.
Volusia has a ton of 4-digit routes that are not marked, which more or less are internally used numbers for inventory purposes. However through DeLand, Deltona, Orange City, routes like CR 4104 and CR 4155 are posted.

Brevard - have not driven off the state road network that much, but the CR signing seems to be inconsistent. Nothing for CR 3.
Palm Beach only has a handful of routes, but there is signage for CR 707, 809, 880, etc.

Lee does not have a lot, but CR 884 is well marked. There is signage for CR 78 and CR 767 on Pine Island, CR 765 on Burnt Store Road, etc. Ortiz as CR 80B is unsigned and CR 884 through Lehigh Acres is not signed enough.

Not much:
Gulf with no signage for CR 381, 381A, 382, 387, 22, 22A
Hillsborough is terrible is about posting pentagons.

The worse:
Nassau though I've seen a few posted. Have seen zero in Manatee and Sarasota
Osceola next to none are posted outside of CR 419, 522, 532 and 545

As kevinb posted, Duval has CR 228 acknowledged from US 301. The rest are unmarked.
None of which are signed, Miami-Dade has a few inventoried in the FDOT GIS Files such as CR 913 to Key Biscayne, CR 948 along SW 137th Avenue, CR 992 along SW 152nd Street and CR 854 along Ives Dairy Road.
Broward has no county roads designated per the FDOT GIS File.

formulanone

Broward has a few, but only for trailblazers, and almost never for reassurance. One lone exception is on Dixie Highway bridge over the Hillsboro Canal:

Palm Beach uses them sparingly; usually in rural area, if the entire route has no connected SR counterpart. So you're not likely to find them on an county-maintained extension of a state route.

I haven't seen a county road shield in Miami-Dade county in 35+ years of travels down there.

Monroe has a few, but mostly around the Card Sound Road area (CR 905/905A). I didn't look out for them elsewhere on my last trip through the Keys, so none along US 1.

Martin, Indian River, Collier, Hendry, Okeechobee, Lee, Charlotte, DeSoto, Hardee, Glades, Highlands, and Saint Lucie counties are pretty good about posting most county roads of importance. Usually minor -A or -B roads are not posted.

pianocello

Quote from: Alex on March 31, 2021, 09:00:54 AM

I'll try to summarize what I have seen from my travels across the state.

(snipped)

I'll tack on what I know:

Alachua is pretty good with the blue pentagons, even with the county routes that are in the Gainesville city limits.

Levy is good at signing them as well, but a lot of them are redundantly signed "County Road C-xxx" like this.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Stephane Dumas

There's some new photos taken in March of the Gateway Expwy project, showing some girders instealled. https://www.fdottampabay.com/project/235/433880-1-52-01

roadman65

Polk is good except in Lakeland.  Gilchrist is bad on county roads themselves but good on both US 129 and SR 26.

Nassau sucks. Hillsborough and Sarasota stink as well.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

Whats the traffic situation like in Jacksonville on a weekday morning around 7-8am? Driving back up to NJ and need to know if taking I-295 is a better option vs. I-95. Leaving the Orlando area at 5am to avoid most of the I-4 disaster.

1995hoo

Quote from: NJRoadfan on April 03, 2021, 10:35:55 AM
Whats the traffic situation like in Jacksonville on a weekday morning around 7-8am? Driving back up to NJ and need to know if taking I-295 is a better option vs. I-95. Leaving the Orlando area at 5am to avoid most of the I-4 disaster.

If you haven't been around the east side of I-295, I'd go that way just because the Dames Point Bridge is a nice change of scenery.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Jaxrunner

I 295 between JTB and the Dames Point Bridge desperately needs another lane. I lived near the beaches and in the afternoon the traffic on I 295 would back up for a couple of miles. South of JTB they added a third lane and it really helped the traffic. Its surprising the eastern section was only 4 lanes as it was built in the 2000s.

NJRoadfan

Quote from: NJRoadfan on March 23, 2021, 05:50:14 PM
Just an update on this. The CFX tolls still haven't posted....and they didn't read my E-ZPass by mistake as I checked my account. I did the scotch tape trick with the SunPass transponder, so I hope it read! The FTE toll transactions indicated that my tag was read, not my plate. The transactions posted immediately as "Transaction Type: Transponder Toll", so I suspect the transponder was working fine as debiting by plate usually takes time.

.....and the CFX transactions finally posted..... on my E-ZPass account! Seems that they married up my license plate after the fact. Still would like to know why the SunPass didn't read though. Nice to know that CFX checks plates against E-ZPass seemingly before they check SunPass. Not going to complain, at least they got billed at the EPass rates somewhere vs. the 2X Toll-By-Plate rate.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Jaxrunner on April 03, 2021, 06:30:59 PM
I 295 between JTB and the Dames Point Bridge desperately needs another lane. I lived near the beaches and in the afternoon the traffic on I 295 would back up for a couple of miles. South of JTB they added a third lane and it really helped the traffic. Its surprising the eastern section was only 4 lanes as it was built in the 2000s.
You're not wrong about that. I live next to the widened portion, and it really is nice. I'm not sure what the holdup is on the other section, though. Traffic can be really bad when trying to get to either UNF or the Town Center. But the good news is that we're getting diverse food and fuel options around here, and much of it already exists.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Alex on March 31, 2021, 09:00:54 AM
Hernando and Pasco Counties have by far the best, with Pasco probably topping the list as they also post End and Begin shields.
Seminole is pretty good as well.
I've got to say something though. Westbound Hernando CR 578 (County Line Road) has some errors near the intersection of HCR 587 (Mariner Boulevard). When the county widened that section of the road, they got those two signs mixed up.

ukfan758

https://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/transportation/2021-03-03/new-plans-for-suncoast-parkway-extension-backed-by-florida-senate

If I'm reading this right the 2019 plans are now scrapped and the Suncoast Parkway will just be an upgraded US-19 with bypasses of signalized intersections and widening for most of the route and the new I-10 interchange will be in Madison county instead of Jefferson County. Indeed, it will save a lot of money this way and it's good that they're moving the interchange closer to I-75 but if they truly want this to be more than a pipe dream there's got to be a lot of incentives to use this toll road to get traffic on it.

North of Perry it should route towards Madison with either a new interchange between FL-14 and FL-53 or upgrade of one of those, then route it along FL-145 to the Georgia line where the road becomes SR-31. In Georgia, they could continue it on there to I-75 just SE of Valdosta as either a freeway or a toll road with the Peach Pass system. The Florida Legislature should also look at allowing the speed limit to be 75-80mph on this section to at least the proposed Turnpike extension (and make the turnpike extension 75-80 as well).

Not regarding this but are there any plans to widen the Turnpike from Colonial Drive (where the 4 lanes each way starts/ends) to I-75? It's desperately needed.

btl1016

Quote from: ukfan758 on April 10, 2021, 03:25:43 AM
Not regarding this but are there any plans to widen the Turnpike from Colonial Drive (where the 4 lanes each way starts/ends) to I-75? It's desperately needed.

No plans to widen it all the way to I-75, but there are plans to widen it to 4 lanes in each direction from SR-50 Winter Garden/Clermont (Exit 272) to US-27 Leesburg North (Exit 289). Considering how the Turnpike is doing with some of their current construction projects being over budget/delayed (specifically the current Turnpike widening from 528/Orlando South to Osceola Parkway), I wouldn't expect it to be complete any time soon.

https://floridasturnpike.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/435784-1-Widen-Turnpike-from-Clermont-to-Lake-County-Line.pdf

https://floridasturnpike.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/435785-1-Widen-Turnpike-from-Lake-County-Line-to-Minneola.pdf

https://floridasturnpike.com/turnpike-projects/major-projects/widen-turnpike-minneola-interchange-to-us-27/

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/2MtWMAmnBMnW8y416
This bridge was just built. According to plans for the direct connection between SR 528 and the Turnpike, this will not remain.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

btl1016

Quote from: roadman65 on April 14, 2021, 10:59:08 AM
https://goo.gl/maps/2MtWMAmnBMnW8y416
This bridge was just built. According to plans for the direct connection between SR 528 and the Turnpike, this will not remain.

That's the FL Turnpike construction planning crew for you! It's ridiculous that they still haven't opened the ramps from the Turnpike to 417. The ramps are essentially complete they just have to strip them.

rickmastfan67

Ok..... Which one of you crazy Floridians did this?? :-P :sombrero: :hmmm:

https://twitter.com/wsvn/status/1382750780097241093

The Ghostbuster

What was the driver trying to do? Commit suicide?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 16, 2021, 09:09:10 PM

Considering how long some of those draw spans take probably just assumed he would die of starvation waiting for it to close. 

Disclaimer; as a former Florida resident this happens more (or at least more people attempt it) than one might assume.

btl1016

https://www.wesh.com/amp/article/interstate-4-named-most-dangerous-highway-in-the-nation/36148705

In a shocker, I-4 was once again rated the deadliest and most dangerous road in the country. As someone who just drove from Orlando to Lakeland today, I can confirm with the numerous terrible aggressive and plain stupid drivers on the road each and every day. Just today I witnessed a slower car in the right lane going about 70 mph, a moving truck in the middle lane going about 68 mph and an 18 wheeler in the far left lane (which is illegal on I-4) going about 67mph.

Finrod

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on April 16, 2021, 02:09:14 PM
Ok..... Which one of you crazy Floridians did this?? :-P :sombrero: :hmmm:

https://twitter.com/wsvn/status/1382750780097241093

Someone watched The Blues Brothers too many times.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

formulanone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 16, 2021, 09:16:34 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 16, 2021, 09:09:10 PM

Considering how long some of those draw spans take probably just assumed he would die of starvation waiting for it to close. 

Disclaimer; as a former Florida resident this happens more (or at least more people attempt it) than one might assume.

Peaking through the Twitter feed shows the perp was possibly on the phone.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.