AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
 on: Today at 06:26:09 PM 
Started by M3100 - Last post by formulanone
This gotta be one of the most pretentious suffix for a road I’ve seen (and I think there’s a recent thread on this too). Seems worse than calling 6 lane stroads a “street”.

You keep using that word, as if they possibly couldn't have started out as two-lane (or effectively single-lane) paths many decades ago.

If there's no sidewalk, then call it a "stroad".

on: Today at 06:22:56 PM 
Started by webny99 - Last post by jlam
The Lions are the next team to be 0-16-1 if they DON'T win the next six games!  :pan:
And they will be like the 1960 Cowboys, 1976 Bucs, 1982 Colts (Now Ravens; shortened season due to strike  :banghead:), 2008 Lions, and the 2017 Browns.
This will be the second time a winless season has happened to the Lions.  :clap:
Well done Lions, you guys deserve a winless season /s  :no: :spin: :clap:
The Baltimore Colts are not the same team as the Baltimore Ravens. The Baltimore Colts moved to Indianapolis in 1984. Twelve years later, the first Cleveland Browns moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens, in tribute to Edgar Allen Poe.

on: Today at 06:09:03 PM 
Started by bob7374 - Last post by wdcrft63
Here's the news report with all the information about the latest delay to next spring, due to: the demolition will not start until December, it will take 6 weeks to complete, completion in January means that it will be too cold to put final pavement down in the bridge area, final striping of the entire route will not take place until all the paving is completed:
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article255474246.html

"The completion date has now been pushed back at least four times, mostly related to the railroad bridges. The new bridges were supposed to be completed by the end of 2018"
Jeesums crimeny! That pavement must be :ded: and all grey after 4 years! :banghead:

Have they already put down the final wearing course on the entire road, or has none of it been done yet? I'd have thought they'd wait and do it all at once.
They already placed asphalt on there 4 years ago! :banghead:
Would y'all join me in getting NCDOT to replace the many embarrassing faded overhead signs that only seem to exist in Raleigh on 440  and 540 near US1?
I'm sure you're talking about these:

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.862299,-78.5500375,3a,49.9y,142.75h,101.59t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6JQE73gfRF0V0aSo0WNmEA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.8607013,-78.5473176,3a,15y,346.95h,92.07t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s-qqQIySom8E0efETHF8clA!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3D-qqQIySom8E0efETHF8clA%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D104.005806%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.8540177,-78.5287908,3a,43.1y,101.64h,103.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s7UvuIe3HvML5tjeW1XIBhw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e1

And yes that embarrasses me.
The road opened in 2007. How long should these overhead signs last?

on: Today at 06:03:29 PM 
Started by tolbs17 - Last post by wdcrft63
I feel like at one point or another such an Interstate was coming...although I personally feel like it should end at Sanford. If it makes it all the way to I-95 (if it gets to I-40 near Newton Grove I would be thoroughly shocked) the only real thru-route I see it being a part of is Wilmington-Greensboro. I'm not sure how much traffic it would really take off 40 in Raleigh.

If I-685 were extended to I-40, I could see truck traffic using it to bypass the parking lot Triangle, especially those that want to avoid paying tolls on NC-540 to bypass Raleigh. It would also come in handy as an additional high-speed hurricane evacuation route.

The more I think about it, the more I wonder why NC wants I-685 to end at I-95 and not I-40. If Toyota is in the picture, you'd think they would want a more direct shot to the Port of Wilmington. Sure, you could hop up I-95 to Benson and then come back down I-40, but that adds mileage compared to I-685 cutting across to I-40.

If history has any say in the matter, vacationers will decide whether to use I-685 and then take NC-55 from Dunn over to I-40 as an alternate route.  If they do this the way they did the Mount Airy -to- Lexington -to- Rockingham -to- Myrtle Beach pattern, NCDOT will eventually need to fill in the gap.
This thing was designed by politicians, not by NCDOT. I predict NCDOT will want to do the extension to I_40.

on: Today at 05:57:03 PM 
Started by SkyPesos - Last post by MikieTimT
The city busses in  San Francisco operate like this.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Muni-trolley-wire-visual-pollution-electrifies-5056671.php

Seattle has some routes with electric buses as well.  I seem to never see more than a couple of people on them at a time, albeit, I may not be seeing them at peak times when I visit my brother.

on: Today at 05:54:00 PM 
Started by tolbs17 - Last post by SkyPesos
Now I'm thinking about it, this I-685 would be better numbered as I-38, so we can make fun of a short 2di that has a similar role as I-12, as well that its orphaned 3di exists in the opposite side of the country  :bigass:

on: Today at 05:52:29 PM 
Started by mightyace - Last post by Stephane Dumas
There was lots and lots of talk about I-395 extension to ME-9 and OSM showed this extension.
https://satellites.pro/plan/USA_map#O44.795876,-68.694077,14

Looks like that old project would finally see the light of the day. https://www.maine.gov/mdot/projects/I395rt9connector/

on: Today at 05:39:09 PM 
Started by tolbs17 - Last post by Dirt Roads
I feel like at one point or another such an Interstate was coming...although I personally feel like it should end at Sanford. If it makes it all the way to I-95 (if it gets to I-40 near Newton Grove I would be thoroughly shocked) the only real thru-route I see it being a part of is Wilmington-Greensboro. I'm not sure how much traffic it would really take off 40 in Raleigh.

If I-685 were extended to I-40, I could see truck traffic using it to bypass the parking lot Triangle, especially those that want to avoid paying tolls on NC-540 to bypass Raleigh. It would also come in handy as an additional high-speed hurricane evacuation route.

The more I think about it, the more I wonder why NC wants I-685 to end at I-95 and not I-40. If Toyota is in the picture, you'd think they would want a more direct shot to the Port of Wilmington. Sure, you could hop up I-95 to Benson and then come back down I-40, but that adds mileage compared to I-685 cutting across to I-40.

If history has any say in the matter, vacationers will decide whether to use I-685 and then take NC-55 from Dunn over to I-40 as an alternate route.  If they do this the way they did the Mount Airy -to- Lexington -to- Rockingham -to- Myrtle Beach pattern, NCDOT will eventually need to fill in the gap.

on: Today at 05:30:45 PM 
Started by tolbs17 - Last post by LM117

On another note, I could see this eventually becoming the justification for an I-87 southern extension to Sanford.

If I-87 were extended down US-1, it would more likely end at I-73/I-74 in Rockingham.

on: Today at 05:20:41 PM 
Started by Roadrunner75 - Last post by Rothman
Separate project that they just started on top of the GSP work.

I understand from NJDOT info documents, that the U Turn ramp that carries 4 movements of the complex GSP/US 22/ NJ 82 (Morris Avenue) exchange is being removed.  The ramp between the EB lanes and WB lanes east of Route 82 are being removed.  It did not say much else, but that will create chaos as the ramp is used not only to make a u turn, but to carry traffic from NJ 82 West to US 22 West as well as provide the missing movements between the N Bound Parkway to US 22 W Bound, and from US 22 E Bound to the Parkway South as well as to NJ 82 W Bound and Union Center.

The document makes it sound like more ramps to US 22 will be added from Morris Avenue, however many homes line the west end of the interchange and to add even a loop ramp would require acquisition of 70 year old homes off Morris Avenue.

Does anyone know the plans?  I tried to find a sheet with designs, but NJDOT is hard to navigate.
I know the plans, but I can't share them because I'm on the other side of them (designer). AFAIK homes are not being removed. And the only movement that is being removed, I believe, is the actual U-turn from 22E-22W.
Where does the project stand in the design process?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.