News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New York State Thruway

Started by Zeffy, September 22, 2014, 12:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeek Adam

55 and 49 have seen some new signs installed EB.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Buffaboy

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on November 10, 2021, 09:37:08 PM
55 and 49 have seen some new signs installed EB.

Yes, one replaced the "Toll Booths Ahead" signage. It caught be by surprise last week.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

Jim

Looked like some work was underway yesterday around 24 to make some of the temporary-looking signs more permanent.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

dgolub

Quote from: shadyjay on November 02, 2021, 09:16:53 PM
Looks like the New England Thruway's "Last Mile" construction project has been completed. 

And, from the people that brought you "Bryam"....
There's a Facebook post on the Thruway's FB page that shows the new signage on the ramp from I-95 South to I-287 West.  On the ramp, there's a split for Midland Ave and I-287, however the I-287 pull-through lacks an I-287 shield.  Instead, it just says "Cross Westchester Expy/White Plains/Gov Mario M Cuomo Br". 

Looks like there's some new diagrammatic SB signage for the I-95 South to I-287 exit.  Did they put one of these up in CT as well, to replace the existing Exit 21 1 mile advance?

I've been through there a couple of times since they finished.  (Unfortunately, my pictures from both times are crap due to sun glare.)  The new signage is only on the New York side, not in Connecticut.  You're correct about the lack of an I-287 shield on the ramp signage, but that was also the case prior to the construction.

mariethefoxy

Quote from: shadyjay on November 02, 2021, 09:16:53 PM
Looks like the New England Thruway's "Last Mile" construction project has been completed. 

And, from the people that brought you "Bryam"....
There's a Facebook post on the Thruway's FB page that shows the new signage on the ramp from I-95 South to I-287 West.  On the ramp, there's a split for Midland Ave and I-287, however the I-287 pull-through lacks an I-287 shield.  Instead, it just says "Cross Westchester Expy/White Plains/Gov Mario M Cuomo Br". 

Looks like there's some new diagrammatic SB signage for the I-95 South to I-287 exit.  Did they put one of these up in CT as well, to replace the existing Exit 21 1 mile advance?

As of Nov 14 the CT side still had the last era of the borderless exit tab signs for Exit 21 with it still saying Tappan Zee Bridge.

vdeane

The Thruway put before/after pictures of every tolling point* on the former ticket system on its site.

*Exit 20 is only included once despite being a conventional interchange with two barriers.  One can argue about exit 17 as well.

https://www.thruway.ny.gov/cashless/before-and-after.pdf
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on November 18, 2021, 12:47:29 PM
The Thruway put before/after pictures of every tolling point* on the former ticket system on its site.

*Exit 20 is only included once despite being a conventional interchange with two barriers.  One can argue about exit 17 as well.

That was fun. Thanks for sharing! It was nice to get a look at Exits 39, 46, and 47, as I haven't been through those interchanges since the booth removals. Also, some of the new signage I mentioned at Exits 44 and 45 is visible in each of their respective "after" photos.

As for Exit 45, also note there's a two-lane weave to get from the Thruway EB to NY 96, plus an auxiliary lane for "overlength trucks" that probably doesn't help for drivers trying to figure out what lane they need to be in. It's weird how much shorter the merge area seems with the booths gone. You'd think it would feel longer, not shorter, but then again traffic is also moving at much higher speeds now with no real need to slow down beyond what's necessary for the ramp.

cl94

The question now is "how long until 23, 25, 45, and/or 47 get a redesign to address the weaving and geometry issues issues?" 23 has a death weave especially entering the Thruway that the toll booths served as a speed bump for, while 25 has a pair of sharp curves on either side of the old booth that, again, the toll booths slowed traffic for.

I haven't been through 45 and 47 in a while, but those are also freeway termini with an exit right next to the former toll plaza that likely have weaving issues.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

DrSmith

Quote from: vdeane on November 18, 2021, 12:47:29 PM

Maybe it is only me, those signs that are installed at the new electronic toll barriers are not clear to me. If I don't have an EZ-PASS am I supposed to call the number so they can bill me? I assume no, but the wording and layout lets me see how that is a possible conclusion. To add to my questions is that shortly afterward was another sign stating that your registration can be suspended for not paying the toll. Again, I assume this means for not paying the bill the Thruway sends you in the mail or if I don't call the number and do the work myself (and have people remember all the needed details).

On separate note, maybe New Yorkers will now have wished Connecticut added tolls even if it meant the I-684 CT toll barrier. The Connecticut folks have been the biggest toll evaders on the Mass Pike and maybe can now add the Thruway to the list.
https://www.courant.com/politics/hc-pol-connecticut-massachusetts-tolls-20190203-20190204-en5ply2y2nckdmfltf4dpmjwfa-story.html

noelbotevera

Question about Thruway history: what's with the mix of tolling schemes?

South of exit 16, it seems the Thruway was intended more as a commuter road more than a turnpike (as in the Pennsylvania and Ohio Turnpikes). Here they built a lot more exits, making a ticket system tricky to work with, but I've been under the impression that the Thruway was meant to be the quickest way upstate - I.e. the Adirondacks. Was there more focus on developing the NYC - Binghamton corridor (given that NY 17 was also being upgraded) or simply relieving congestion in the NYC area?

North of 16, it's clear that the Thruway was supposed to be a turnpike, given the long distances between exits and bypasses of cities. This makes sense, given that the fastest way across western NY was probably US 20 and the region was a huge manufacturing hub in the '50s.

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

lstone19

Quote from: noelbotevera on November 27, 2021, 12:47:08 PM

South of exit 16, it seems the Thruway was intended more as a commuter road more than a turnpike (as in the Pennsylvania and Ohio Turnpikes). Here they built a lot more exits, making a ticket system tricky to work with, but I've been under the impression that the Thruway was meant to be the quickest way upstate - I.e. the Adirondacks. Was there more focus on developing the NYC - Binghamton corridor (given that NY 17 was also being upgraded) or simply relieving congestion in the NYC area?

North of 16, it's clear that the Thruway was supposed to be a turnpike, given the long distances between exits and bypasses of cities. This makes sense, given that the fastest way across western NY was probably US 20 and the region was a huge manufacturing hub in the '50s.

Without answering the question (because I don't know), it's important to know that as built, the ticket section started at 14, not 16. The recent Spring Valley commercial vehicle toll used to be a full plaza that was the start/end of the ticket section. 14B and 15A did not yet exist and 15 and 16 were normal trumpet interchanges. The move to the more recent Woodbury plaza was due to the amount of traffic entering/exiting at 16 to/from the South. By eliminating tickets for them, it greatly sped up toll processing at the end of the ticket section (Spring Valley used to have monumental summer Sunday night backups - Woodbury was not great but nowhere near as bad as Spring Valley had been).

I was always fascinated by how prior to AET traffic entering northbound at 16 had to pre-pay the 16 to 15 toll and then a minute later get the 16 entry ticket that was discounted by the amount pre-paid.

Alps

Quote from: lstone19 on November 27, 2021, 02:38:39 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on November 27, 2021, 12:47:08 PM

Without answering the question (because I don't know), it's important to know that as built, the ticket section started at 14, not 16. The recent Spring Valley commercial vehicle toll used to be a full plaza that was the start/end of the ticket section. 14B and 15A did not yet exist and 15 and 16 were normal trumpet interchanges. The move to the more recent Woodbury plaza was due to the amount of traffic entering/exiting at 16 to/from the South. By eliminating tickets for them, it greatly sped up toll processing at the end of the ticket section (Spring Valley used to have monumental summer Sunday night backups - Woodbury was not great but nowhere near as bad as Spring Valley had been).

I was always fascinated by how prior to AET traffic entering northbound at 16 had to pre-pay the 16 to 15 toll and then a minute later get the 16 entry ticket that was discounted by the amount pre-paid.
I wouldn't call the old 15 trumpet normal... on the 17 side anyway.

lstone19

Quote from: Alps on November 27, 2021, 04:43:43 PM
I wouldn't call the old 15 trumpet normal... on the 17 side anyway.

Definitely true on the Rt. 17 side which was designed primarily for traffic to/from NJ 17. But on the Thruway side, before today's flyover ramps, it was a normal trumpet with a single toll plaza.

webny99

The Thruway between Rochester and Syracuse has had issues seemingly all day today, between accidents and Thanksgiving travel. I seem to remember Buffalo-Rochester having more issues in the past, but westbound traffic was slowed up well east of Rochester today.

I used 45-41 on a day trip yesterday and it was busy - probably the busiest I've seen it since the start of 2020. Westbound was especially busy, with packs of cars a mile or more in length forming just like they used to pre-covid. I couldn't help but wonder if Thanksgiving travelers were trying to beat the bad weather forecasted for today, which turned out to be mostly just flurries with temps hovering just above freezing.

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on November 28, 2021, 05:49:04 PM
The Thruway between Rochester and Syracuse has had issues seemingly all day today, between accidents and Thanksgiving travel. I seem to remember Buffalo-Rochester having more issues in the past, but westbound traffic was slowed up well east of Rochester today.

I used 45-41 on a day trip yesterday and it was busy - probably the busiest I've seen it since the start of 2020. Westbound was especially busy, with packs of cars a mile or more in length forming just like they used to pre-covid. I couldn't help but wonder if Thanksgiving travelers were trying to beat the bad weather forecasted for today, which turned out to be mostly just flurries with temps hovering just above freezing.
Honestly, this felt like the busiest Thanksgiving in my memory.  Slowdowns from accidents practically every 10 miles (one of which was stop and go for three miles) from Rochester to Syracuse and solid cars the whole way (making maintaining cruise control next to impossible) except between exits 29A and 28.  And that's just eastbound; westbound appeared to have had things even worse.

It seems like, with the obvious exception of last year, traffic just keeps getting worse.  I sure hope I get a chance to transfer to Rochester some day, because I've been getting sick of the long drive even before factoring in the traffic.  It's to the point where I've started taking additional time off around the summer holidays to avoid the peak travel days.

It's weird; I never thought of there being a big storm today, but everyone in Rochester seems to think there was supposed to be one.  I guess something must have been forecast earlier in the week that vanished before I started looking at Rochester weather in depth, and the locals never got the memo.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on November 28, 2021, 08:47:22 PM
It's weird; I never thought of there being a big storm today, but everyone in Rochester seems to think there was supposed to be one.  I guess something must have been forecast earlier in the week that vanished before I started looking at Rochester weather in depth, and the locals never got the memo.

Yeah, early last week I had heard there was supposed to be a storm this weekend, but by the time I checked the weekend forecast on Thurs/Fri, only flurries and light accumulation was expected, which is pretty much what happened. On balance, yesterday had better traveling weather than today, but not by much.

The Lake Erie snow machine is definitely in motion, though... and that makes it no fun to travel west or south of Buffalo this time of year. I-90 from Erie to Buffalo has to be up there pretty high on the list of "Interstates To Avoid During Winter".

Rothman

There was a weird slowdown tonight between the Spur and I-787 on the Thruway (I-87).  Couldn't believe it was just traffic.  Can't believe there wasn't an accident that caused it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on November 28, 2021, 10:54:22 PM
There was a weird slowdown tonight between the Spur and I-787 on the Thruway (I-87).  Couldn't believe it was just traffic.  Can't believe there wasn't an accident that caused it.

Which direction? If it was southbound, it could have been the lane drop at I-787 causing issues.

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on November 28, 2021, 10:29:24 PM
Quote from: vdeane on November 28, 2021, 08:47:22 PM

Yeah, early last week I had heard there was supposed to be a storm this weekend, but by the time I checked the weekend forecast on Thurs/Fri, only flurries and light accumulation was expected, which is pretty much what happened. On balance, yesterday had better traveling weather than today, but not by much.

The Lake Erie snow machine is definitely in motion, though... and that makes it no fun to travel west or south of Buffalo this time of year. I-90 from Erie to Buffalo has to be up there pretty high on the list of "Interstates To Avoid During Winter".
There is one thing worse than driving the Thruway along Lake Erie in winter: driving roads other than the Thruway along Lake Erie in winter.  The difference in the level of plowing is stark.  On Friday, the Thruway was bare pavement, just a few flurries, hardly anything to worry about... while NY 76 and all the other roads south of US 20 were snow-covered and roads to avoid unless you had to be there (or were crazy and stubborn like me).

Quote from: webny99 on November 29, 2021, 08:24:58 AM
Quote from: Rothman on November 28, 2021, 10:54:22 PM

Which direction? If it was southbound, it could have been the lane drop at I-787 causing issues.
The order of the spur and I-787 implies northbound... plus heading south in that section would be beyond the lane drop anyways.

I know some people brake for the gantries... I wonder if that could have compounded out given the traffic levels.

froggie

Quote from: vdeane on November 29, 2021, 12:45:18 PM
There is one thing worse than driving the Thruway along Lake Erie in winter: driving roads other than the Thruway along Lake Erie in winter.  The difference in the level of plowing is stark.

In my experience, this is not limited to along Lake Erie.  Replace "Lake Erie" with "the Hudson Valley" in your statement and it would be just as valid.

SignBridge

I remember seeing comments a few years back about how I-84 was plowed better when it was the Thruway Authority than it is now under NYS DOT. Kudo's to NYSTA for good winter operations.

They may not be very good at designing and installing BGS's but at least they know how to plow snow effectively.

Rothman

Pfft.  Everyone's hurting for plow drivers.  This winter is going to suck, especially now that the Golden Snowball race is off and running.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

Quote from: froggie on November 29, 2021, 02:11:04 PM
There is one thing worse than driving the Thruway along Lake Erie in winter: driving roads other than the Thruway along Lake Erie in winter.  The difference in the level of plowing is stark.

In my experience, this is not limited to along Lake Erie.  Replace "Lake Erie" with "the Hudson Valley" in your statement and it would be just as valid.

The difference in plowing may exist everywhere, but the Hudson Valley is not nearly so nasty in winter as the Lake Erie snowbelt (or even the Lake Ontario snowbelt, for that matter).

The irony is that the Thruway's emergency detours were established due to winter weather, but when there's significant snow, the Thruway is where you want to be.

webny99

I'd say the Hudson Valley can be nasty for a different reason - it's a lot hillier than the Lake Erie/Ontario snowbelts, so the backroads can be treacherous even when the snowfall totals aren't that high.

Of course, you've got some terrain in the Allegany and Tug Hill regions too, but it's very different in a way that's kind of hard to describe- less densely populated and the roads aren't nearly so winding and twisting in general.

froggie

Quote from: vdeane on November 29, 2021, 09:37:49 PM
Quote from: froggie on November 29, 2021, 02:11:04 PM

The difference in plowing may exist everywhere, but the Hudson Valley is not nearly so nasty in winter as the Lake Erie snowbelt (or even the Lake Ontario snowbelt, for that matter).

I would disagree.  As webny noted, there's a different variety of nastiness in the Hudson Valley.  Sure, the lake-effect off the lakes is significant in its quantity, but it's also very predictable.  Hudson Valley, as with northern PA and here in Vermont, is more prone to snow squalls which are more sudden, less predictable, and deadlier than lake effect snow.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.