AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: West Virginia  (Read 23757 times)

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: November 20, 2021, 05:57:02 PM
Re: West Virginia
« Reply #150 on: July 27, 2021, 12:46:20 PM »

Those are turnouts and can be really beneficial for trucks that are practically crawling up hills, and where turning lanes just can't be fit in without extensive work. US 33 doesn't really have -that- much truck traffic to justify more climbing lanes and will probably have less once US 48 is fully complete in the state.

Agree on all points.  And probably even less truck traffic on U.S. 33 if ADHS Corridor H is completed all the way from I-79 to I-81.

Did you notice the extensive concrete work east of Buchhannon? They are doing major base repairs and diamond grinding sections; closer to Elkins, they are asphalting over previously asphalted-then-removed sections.

Yes, I saw all of that around the signalized intersection where U.S. 250 and WV-92 tie in to Corridor H near Norton.  Wish that WVDOT would get rid of the signals here and on the northwest side of Elkins at the other connection with WV-92.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Bitmapped

• Last Login: Today at 09:24:59 AM
« Reply #151 on: July 27, 2021, 03:48:37 PM »

Those are turnouts and can be really beneficial for trucks that are practically crawling up hills, and where turning lanes just can't be fit in without extensive work. US 33 doesn't really have -that- much truck traffic to justify more climbing lanes and will probably have less once US 48 is fully complete in the state.

Agree on all points.  And probably even less truck traffic on U.S. 33 if ADHS Corridor H is completed all the way from I-79 to I-81.

Those truck turnouts (how they're signed) do get a decent amount of use on US 33. They're not intended for normal passing, but for situations with log trucks and other large vehicles that are crawling.

My experience has been that US 33 generally flows OK east of Elkins. Some passing lanes on the straight-ish parts around Evenwood (https://goo.gl/maps/xusbM7b8H8AdLMtUA) and Laurel Fork/Rich Mountain western approach (https://goo.gl/maps/U1S7WYnzneXVAfsn7) would be nice but there's generally enough of a gap in traffic you can pass, and the grades coming down to Laurel Fork help with providing momentum.

Did you notice the extensive concrete work east of Buchhannon? They are doing major base repairs and diamond grinding sections; closer to Elkins, they are asphalting over previously asphalted-then-removed sections.

Yes, I saw all of that around the signalized intersection where U.S. 250 and WV-92 tie in to Corridor H near Norton.  Wish that WVDOT would get rid of the signals here and on the northwest side of Elkins at the other connection with WV-92.

The concrete around the western US 33/US 250 intersection was rubblized. WVDOT posted a video on their social media earlier this year.

At one point, WVDOH had an interchange for the western US 33/US 250 intersection on their unfunded project wishlist. The signal at the eastern WV 92 intersection by Aggregates is more recent; at least with when I traveled, I experienced less delay when there was a stop sign pulling out here than now with the signal.

Rothman

• Last Login: Today at 06:33:35 PM
« Reply #152 on: July 27, 2021, 07:06:45 PM »

HB is right, though.   Lots of squiggly roads in WV.

The nature of the terrain in most West Virginia counties explains a lot of it.  But that segment of WV-20 goes well beyond squiggly.

Heck, I just got stuck behind a lumber truck coming down US 33 in a reduced grade area today.  Thank goodness the other lane was clear when a passing zone came up.

Which part of U.S. 33?  I have not driven any of it west of Weston, but all of it between I-81 in Virginia and Weston, and the crossing of North Mountain (the Va./W.Va. state line is near the ridgecrest) is quite steep, and there are quite a few steep grades between Seneca Rocks and the "racetrack" section east of Elkins.
This trip, just between WV 32 and Spruce Knob.

Also wonder about WV 72 in terms of squigglyness.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Bitmapped

« Reply #153 on: July 27, 2021, 09:46:19 PM »

HB is right, though.   Lots of squiggly roads in WV.

The nature of the terrain in most West Virginia counties explains a lot of it.  But that segment of WV-20 goes well beyond squiggly.

Heck, I just got stuck behind a lumber truck coming down US 33 in a reduced grade area today.  Thank goodness the other lane was clear when a passing zone came up.

Which part of U.S. 33?  I have not driven any of it west of Weston, but all of it between I-81 in Virginia and Weston, and the crossing of North Mountain (the Va./W.Va. state line is near the ridgecrest) is quite steep, and there are quite a few steep grades between Seneca Rocks and the "racetrack" section east of Elkins.

Also wonder about WV 72 in terms of squigglyness.

WV 72 south (east) of Hendricks is a bit twisty once you get away from Dry Fork, but the main reason it's signed for no trucks is that it's only 1-car wide for a significant stretch so if a semi went down it, there wouldn't be any room for a vehicle to pass.

I'm not a fan of ending state routes at points other than other state routes, but I'd make an exception for WV 72. The part between Hendricks and WV 32 has no business being signed as a primary route.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 09:44:54 AM by Bitmapped »

cpzilliacus

« Reply #154 on: July 28, 2021, 09:31:09 AM »

WV 72 south (east) of Hendricks is a bit twisty once you get away from Dry Fork, but the main reason it's signed for no trucks is that it's only 1-car wide for a significant stretch so if a semi went down it, there wouldn't be any room for a vehicle to pass.

I agree.  And I think it is sufficiently remote that there are not too many trucks trying to use it.

I'm not a fan of ending state routes at points other than other state routes, but I'd make an exception for WV 72. The part between Hendricks and WV 72 has no business being signed as a primary route.

I agree.  I am baffled why this was ever a primary system route to begin with.  Maybe WVDOH will demote it to a "county" route once Corridor H is complete between Parsons and Davis?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: November 26, 2021, 07:17:45 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #155 on: July 28, 2021, 11:08:17 AM »

I agree.  And I think it is sufficiently remote that there are not too many trucks trying to use it.

I'm not a fan of ending state routes at points other than other state routes, but I'd make an exception for WV 72. The part between Hendricks and WV 72 has no business being signed as a primary route.

I agree.  I am baffled why this was ever a primary system route to begin with.  Maybe WVDOH will demote it to a "county" route once Corridor H is complete between Parsons and Davis?

West Virginia: 1.) Doesn't like to have incorporated towns/cities not on the primary route system; and 2.) Doesn't "dead end" state primary routes and have them continue as state secondary ("county') routes the way Virginia does.

So, to get a primary route to Hendricks, WV 72 had to continue on to end at another state route in keeping with that precedent.

The only other really comparable WV primary route is WV 71 north of Montcalm to its terminus at WV 10.

I identify as vaccinated.

Mapmikey

• Co-curator with Froggie of www.vahighways.com

• Last Login: Today at 07:13:25 PM
    • Co-curator Virginia Highways Project
« Reply #156 on: July 28, 2021, 11:57:48 AM »

WV 72 has an odd history.

WV 72's south end was Hendricks from 1928 to the late 1940s.  It's north end was the town of Rowlesburg from 1930 to the mid 1940s.

After being extended to the length it has now, it was decommissioned between US 219 and US 50 by 1949, then in stages was brought back into the primary system throughout the 1950s.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #157 on: August 20, 2021, 02:04:17 PM »

Herald-Mail: Concerns grow over how to fund road improvements in West Virginia's Eastern Panhandle

It's the age-old problem with roads in West Virginia's Eastern Panhandle.

Not enough money for them coupled with increasing traffic makes for some worrisome times.

Case in point: W.Va. 9 west from Martinsburg to Hedgesville.

Berkeley County Council member Eddie Gochenour told state highway officials at a meeting Wednesday about how a crash on the two-lane road can back up traffic for miles.

The gathering was part of open meetings state highway officials are holding across West Virginia to update communities about road projects. State lawmakers, members of the media and others were invited to meet with highway officials at a highways office on Old Leetown Pike north of Charles Town for the local session.

snowc

• EPT Founder

• Last Login: Today at 05:28:14 AM
    • Visit the EPT site!
« Reply #158 on: November 17, 2021, 10:22:20 AM »

Do not assume, just ask. It's what we do. :colorful: :biggrin:
Please Note: All Opinions expressed by EPT and their associates are exclusively my own. Please do not criticize me as I am human, and have Autism.

Bitmapped

« Reply #159 on: November 18, 2021, 09:34:44 PM »

https://www.heraldmailmedia.com/story/news/2021/11/17/more-transit-options-could-come-washington-and-berkeley-counties-maryland-west-virginia/8622823002/
^ Link above is paywalled.  :banghead:
Possible Spur route of I81, along with public transit?  :hmmm:

WVDOH isn't building any spurs of I-81, and the state isn't going to pony up for more transit options to DC either. It's been hard enough to get money to maintain the existing MARC service to the Eastern Panhandle.

snowc

• EPT Founder

• Last Login: Today at 05:28:14 AM
    • Visit the EPT site!
« Reply #160 on: November 19, 2021, 08:20:11 AM »

https://www.heraldmailmedia.com/story/news/2021/11/17/more-transit-options-could-come-washington-and-berkeley-counties-maryland-west-virginia/8622823002/
^ Link above is paywalled.  :banghead:
Possible Spur route of I81, along with public transit?  :hmmm:

WVDOH isn't building any spurs of I-81, and the state isn't going to pony up for more transit options to DC either. It's been hard enough to get money to maintain the existing MARC service to the Eastern Panhandle.
And thats why I-181 will never be existent on the WV-9 freeway.  :no: :banghead:
Do not assume, just ask. It's what we do. :colorful: :biggrin:
Please Note: All Opinions expressed by EPT and their associates are exclusively my own. Please do not criticize me as I am human, and have Autism.

74/171FAN

• Last Login: Today at 08:36:48 PM
« Reply #161 on: November 25, 2021, 10:13:10 AM »

I drove through the I-81 widening project between Exits 8 (CR 32) and 12  (WV 45) southbound last night, and I saw traffic having three lanes headed northbound, but I was still stuck with only two lanes headed southbound for now.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.