News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Houston: SH 249 Toll extension

Started by MaxConcrete, February 14, 2016, 11:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluecountry

Quote from: sprjus4 on August 25, 2020, 01:12:16 PM
Quote from: bluecountry on August 25, 2020, 01:07:01 PM
So is it going to be a median separated 1 lane road in each direction with grade separated intersections?
No, it's a two-lane road. One 12 foot lane in each direction with 10 foot right paved shoulders. Effectively a super-2. The center line will likely be broken for a lot of the length to allow passing, like any other two-lane rural road.
OK so one lane each direction, shoulder, and a center lane for passing.
What about intersections?

sprjus4

^

No center lane, only two lanes total.

Intersecting roads will have overpasses and ramps. It's a freeway, with only one roadway being built now. In the future, a second roadway will be built to create a full 4 lane freeway design.

MaxConcrete

The quarterly project update report is posted online for Thursday's TxDOT commission meeting.

https://ftp.txdot.gov/pub/txdot/commission/2021/0225/10c3.pdf

Section 1 of the project (which is the tolled section) is on schedule for full opening by March 15, 2021. Section 2 completion is delayed 8 months to June 2023, but the delay will allow the inclusion of upgrades, including three grade separations and longer passing lanes.

Section 1A opened to traffic ahead of schedule on August 8, 2020 and began toll collection ahead
of schedule in December 2020. Section 1B is anticipated to open to traffic on schedule no later
than March 15, 2021. Segment 2 is scheduled to be open to traffic on schedule on or before June
5, 2023.

The original Segment 2 Substantial Completion (SC) date of October 8, 2022 was
extended due to added work related to additional requirements needed to comply with a United
States Corps of Engineers (USACE) Section 404 permit. This work included: adding grade
separations at County Road (CR) 304, FM 1748, and CR 306; adding one passing lane in each
direction between Pinebrook and CR 304 with 4 ft wide shoulders including bridge crossings in
lieu of culverts at Station 2130+00 and 2137+00 to avoid impacts to the Waters of the United
States (WOTUS); and increasing the mainlane shoulder widths along SH 249 from 8‐ft to 10‐ft.
See "Current Project Schedule".

The estimated total cost to develop the Project is $850.8M (Segment 1 - $534.7M; Segment 2 -
$316.1M) as of November 30, 2020. This estimated cost includes: the negotiated DBA price for
design, construction, and all other services required to deliver the Project per the DBA; utility
relocation; Right‐of‐Way (ROW) costs to acquire necessary property to design, construct, and
maintain the Project; tolling equipment and system integration; environmental mitigation;
TxDOT administration costs; and reasonable Project contingency.

www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

MaxConcrete

Quote from: MaxConcrete on January 03, 2020, 07:09:20 PM
On December 16, bids were opened for the direct connector ramps at SH 249 (Tomball Tollway) and the Grand Parkway.The four connectors on the south side are included.
The winning bidder was (no surprise) Williams Brothers Construction, which left a lot of money on the table with their bid of $92.05 million.

Just to clarify, this is on the far southern end of the Tomball Tollway and is not part of the extension projects currently under construction.

Friday's Harris County Commissioner's Court meeting had an agenda item for hiring a consultant to design two direct connect ramps at the SH-249/SH-99 interchange. Four ramps are under construction as mentioned in the quote above and work is proceeding quickly. I'm assuming this task is for new ramps and not additional design work for the ramps already under construction. There is no mention of these ramps on the project information page https://www.hctra.org/Tomball_Tollway_at_SH_99_Interchange

https://harriscountytx.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=4805478&GUID=5AEA6536-471D-4771-B7A6-4C4D6219FD19

The agenda item has no mention of which ramps are included in this new design task. I'm thinking it's either the two left-turn movements (EB-NB and SB-EB) or the connections on the northeast side (SB-EB and WB-NB).

If this is in fact for new ramps (not already under construction), this is a very favorable development because my perception is that the majority on Commissioner's Court and particularly Judge Hidalgo want to shut down HCTRA's toll road expansion program after current obligations are completed, and probably cancel the long-planned Hardy Toll Road downtown extension. This would be the first new work planned since the Democrats took control in 2019.

www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

MaxConcrete

Section 1B, 8 miles from FM 1488 to FM1174, opened this past Friday.

Eight more miles of the Texas 249 tollway opened Friday, Texas Department of Transportation officials said. Tolling went into effect immediately along the new segment from FM 1488 in Magnolia to FM 1774 in Todd Mission. The segment opening follows the August debut of the portion to the south from Pinehurst to Magnolia in Montgomery County, north of Tomball.

Use of the new segment will cost automobile drivers $2.28 if they have a tag for the vehicle such as a TxTag or EZ Tag, and $3.42 for pay-by-mail travelers. From Houston, the total cost for drivers would be $6.81 for a trip along all of the tolled portions, crossing sections controlled by TxDOT, Montgomery County Toll Road Authority and Harris County Toll Road Authority.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Ketchup99

This looks great. SH 105, I assume, will then ultimately be twinned from Stoneham to Navasota?

sprjus4

The northern portion of the toll road is only being built with 2 lanes, so I would assume no for now.

Stephane Dumas

Not related directly to the toll extension, but Google streetview had posted shots taken last April showing the erection of the pylons who'll support the direct ramps with TX-99.
https://goo.gl/maps/9iRALqpaZEwMhQig6

armadillo speedbump

Google Earth is updated to Sept 2022 east of Navasota and shows the aggy Tollway almost finished.  Bridges are all in.

Edit:  I guess that's because it is going to open this weekend.  Looks like the segment from 105 to 1774 will be free, the toll portion starting in Montgomery County:

https://www.kbtx.com/2022/10/27/state-highway-249-open-by-weekend/

ski-man

Quote from: armadillo speedbump on October 27, 2022, 07:05:56 PM
Google Earth is updated to Sept 2022 east of Navasota and shows the aggy Tollway almost finished.  Bridges are all in.

Edit:  I guess that's because it is going to open this weekend.  Looks like the segment from 105 to 1774 will be free, the toll portion starting in Montgomery County:

It's the Aggie Tollway. Guess you learned to spell at that school in Austin. Typical.

TXtoNJ

Quote from: ski-man on October 28, 2022, 09:37:15 PM

It's the Aggie Tollway. Guess you learned to spell at that school in Austin. Typical.

Sure. But this response is very aggy

MaxConcrete

I drove to the new segment today to inspect it. There is one passing lane section, approximately in the middle. The rest is two lanes (one each way) with a wide median on both sides. There are no intersecting roads, but I noticed two instances of property access from the road (and there may have been more).

The highway is not obviously designed for the addition of two more lanes in the future. I expected the two-lane facility to have a clear right-of-way on one side, for the addition of two more lanes. Examples are the Chisholm Trail Parkway in Tarrant county and SH 49 on the west side of Tyler. But there is no obvious provision for two more lanes. The right-of-way is wide enough for two more lanes, but it appears to be unexpectedly narrow in many places, which could preclude the addition of frontage roads. So it makes me wonder about the long term plan.

On a separate subject for SH 249, three of the four connection ramps at SH 249 and SH 99 are now open. Only the NB-WB ramp remains under construction, and it is nearing completion.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Bobby5280

With the way the exit ramps are designed on the Aggie Tollway it shouldn't be difficult to add in a second pair of lanes in the future.

Out of limited access Super 2 roads in Texas I think the Aggie Tollway has an excellent chance of being expanded into a divided 4-lane facility within the not so distant future. If the Greater Houston metro continues growing like it has for the past 30 years an eventual expansion of the Aggie Tollway would be a foregone conclusion.

Another question is if/when TX DOT will bridge the non-freeway gap between the end of the Aggie Tollway and the South end of the TX-6 freeway in Navasota. Calling that new toll road the "Aggie Tollway" obviously implies a high speed connection direct to College Station. Stopping 6 miles East of Navasota on TX-105 doesn't quite get that job done.

ski-man

Quote from: TXtoNJ on October 30, 2022, 03:14:01 PM
Quote from: ski-man on October 28, 2022, 09:37:15 PM

Sure. But this response is very aggy
Guess as long as you feel good about yourself.

longhorn

Quote from: MaxConcrete on October 30, 2022, 08:20:11 PM
I drove to the new segment today to inspect it. There is one passing lane section, approximately in the middle. The rest is two lanes (one each way) with a wide median on both sides. There are no intersecting roads, but I noticed two instances of property access from the road (and there may have been more).

The highway is not obviously designed for the addition of two more lanes in the future. I expected the two-lane facility to have a clear right-of-way on one side, for the addition of two more lanes. Examples are the Chisholm Trail Parkway in Tarrant county and SH 49 on the west side of Tyler. But there is no obvious provision for two more lanes. The right-of-way is wide enough for two more lanes, but it appears to be unexpectedly narrow in many places, which could preclude the addition of frontage roads. So it makes me wonder about the long term plan.

On a separate subject for SH 249, three of the four connection ramps at SH 249 and SH 99 are now open. Only the NB-WB ramp remains under construction, and it is nearing completion.

Just drove it, an odd highway and intersection at the north end. Is the highway itself supposed to continue to College Station or follow an expanded 105 to Navasota?

MaxConcrete

Quote from: longhorn on July 05, 2023, 05:19:27 PM
Just drove it, an odd highway and intersection at the north end. Is the highway itself supposed to continue to College Station or follow an expanded 105 to Navasota?

All planning materials I am aware of have SH 249 terminating at its current terminus on SH 105, and traffic going to College Station uses SH 105 to reach SH 6. There are no listed projects in the TxDOT UTP for upgrading that section of SH 105. If future traffic counts warrant expansion of that section, it will probably be slated for improvement. But that could be far in the future.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

MaxConcrete

Quote from: MaxConcrete on July 05, 2023, 09:20:36 PM
All planning materials I am aware of have SH 249 terminating at its current terminus on SH 105, and traffic going to College Station uses SH 105 to reach SH 6. There are no listed projects in the TxDOT UTP for upgrading that section of SH 105. If future traffic counts warrant expansion of that section, it will probably be slated for improvement. But that could be far in the future.

I spoke the soon. The new draft UTP released today has new funding for a $157 million project on SH 105 between SH 6 and SH 249. That section is 6 miles. With freeways including frontage roads costing around $30 million per mile, that's probably not enough for freeway standards.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Bobby5280

It's amazing $157 million isn't enough to buy 6 miles of Interstate quality highway flanked by frontage roads. Looking at the overhead imagery of the location, I think it's likely a good bit of this TX-105 freeway would be built on a new terrain alignment maybe not flanked by frontage roads. A "Y" interchange with TX-6 would definitely need to be built in a new location.

Even with or without frontage roads, it's likely this $157 million project would be a "phase I" of 2 or more construction phases -mainly to secure all the necessary ROW and get frontage roads built where they need to be built. The connection from TX-6 to TX-249 might be only the beginning for the TX-105 corridor. I can see that corridor getting upgraded East to Conroe and Cleveland (not that it would be easy or cheap).

Stephane Dumas

GSV show the views taken in March 2023 of the northern terminus of TX-249 at TX-105.
https://goo.gl/maps/feECRZZU8mnF7nwo7
https://goo.gl/maps/VsWyWytUzGpFXqo78

Bobby5280

There is overhead imagery in Google Earth accessible in the Historical Imagery view showing a 9/25/2022 image of the TX-249 merge into TX-105 close to completion. The default view shows 3/2022 imagery.

Obviously they'll have to modify the TX-249/TX-105 interchange pretty significantly once the second set of lanes is added to TX-249.

armadillo speedbump

Perhaps TXDOT is planning on buying the ROW for a future freeway but will start with building one of the frontage roads for traffic in one direction and convert the existing highway to one way the other direction? 

Honestly, just 4-laning the 6 miles and keeping it free flowing will be good enough for many years.  Doesn't look like any cross roads would have the traffic that would require a light any time soon.  A south to east direct connector from 6 to 105 would be nice, but I've never had to wait a full light cycle to turn left onto 105 eb.  Same for the right turn going west to north.  The main problem these days is getting stuck behind slow traffic half the time in those 6 miles.  Sometimes big rigs, but more often behind all the F350's towing ag trailers.

Looks like the onramp northbound to 6 from the intersection with 105/515 is probably too close to allow a wider right turn curve off 105 with a Yield.  Might be wise to move that on ramp further north and close to nb exit off 6 to the E. Washington Ave intersection.  E. Wash. Ave can be accessed nb by using the 105/515 exit and then proceeding through the intersection on the feeder.

Bobby5280

I'm not sure there is enough room to turn that segment of TX-105 into a standard 4-lane divided highway. If it was 4-laned it would probably be built not-divided.

Actually I think best option to connect the TX-249 toll road or a new TX-105 freeway segment into TX-6 would be by build a new terrain route alongside one of the existing rail lines and then into a modification of the TX-6/TX-6B interchange on the South side of Navasota. It would represent the shortest gap to span. There would be fewer existing properties to acquire and remove as opposed to upgrading over the existing TX-105 alignment.

TXtoNJ

There's already 270 ft of ROW at the current 105/249 interchange, and it looks like the eventual design is for the 249 main lanes to continue as the 105 main lanes. My guess is that they'll convert to a 2x2 expressway similar to 90A in SW Houston to retain frontage and minimize takings, leave the current diamond interchange at 6, with plans for direct connectors from WB 105 to NB 6 and SB 6 to EB 105.

If traffic warrants in the future, they might expand to a freeway, but landowners in that region are very sensitive about eminent domain.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.