News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

SH 146 upgrade to freeway, Kemah/Seabrook

Started by MaxConcrete, February 17, 2016, 09:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwana39

My thoughts are it could go to just north of 25th AVE in Texas city and cross to the west and meet Emmett Lowery Fwy and go back to I-45. It goes a little bit backward, but it would complete the SH-146 freeway from LaPorte to I-45.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

achilles765

Quote from: Bobby5280 on October 09, 2021, 11:14:13 AM
I don't expect the TX-146 freeway in Baytown to be extended any farther Northeast from its current end at the Ferry Rd "Y" up toward I-10. Not with the Grand Parkway in close proximity. There is a significant amount of properties hugging close to the non-freeway TX-146 (a non-divided 4-lane street). Some of those could be bought and cleared out of the way. But a freeway expansion would grow really difficult and contentious in the area around Johnny Clark Elementary school. A decent number of newer homes have been built near and North of the school.

Aside from any possible expansions of TX-146, I certainly don't expect TX DOT to apply Interstate designations to it or the Grand Parkway either. They seem perfectly happy leaving existing designations as they are, which is probably easier if a particular corridor (such as TX-146) will be a mix of different highway types.

Quote from: achilles765I don't see that much of a need for segment A of the GP....realistically I don't know that I see much for segments B and C either.

I disagree pretty strongly about Segment A, based on my own driving experiences in that area. Traffic gets pretty ridiculous around Kemah, the Space Center and League City. The super highway upgrade of TX-146 through Kemah is badly needed. At least one or more super highway "spokes" are needed to span between I-45 and TX-146. The trick is figuring out where the the final alignment for Segment A can be built. They might be able to upgrade a portion of League City Parkway. But they're going to have to get pretty creative on how to span the whole gap. One thing is certain: they're going to have to buy and demolish some fairly new properties to get the job done.

Regarding additional spokes between I-45 and TX-146, it's not feasible to upgrade NASA parkway into a freeway farther East to Seabrook and TX-146. But there are some alternatives. TX DOT needs to look at upgrading Red Bluff Road since it's already a freeway ready divided street. That and the combination of Fairmont Parkway and Bay Area Blvd would make for fast alternative access routes to the Space Center and Kemah, taking some of the load off I-45 and the Pasadena Freeway. There is more open space farther South around the Dickinson area.

I don't really like the shape of Grand Parkway Segment B for the sharp bends in it. Both Segments B and C are under threat of being dropped from the overall plan, which I think would be a shame. At the very least I think TX DOT needs to make efforts to secure ROW of those segments for future use. It will be needed. As for the "asymmetrical nonsense" of the DFW loops, much of that comes from the geography. Dallas is quite a bit bigger than Fort Worth area wise. Various obstacles lead to roads like I-635 being partial loops rather than continuous.

I really think highway planners and lawmakers badly need to update their processes with how corridors are developed. Their slug-slow efforts just aren't working in relation to the kinds of rapid urban/suburban growth we've been seeing the past 20 years in metros like DFW, Austin, Phoenix, Las Vegas, etc.

Thank you for this perspective: I have not actually been down in that area in a few years so I did not realize what the situation was like down there.  I'm inside the loop, in the East End, and have always lived and spent time either inside the loop, to the north or the west.  I have read that there were plans to make a freeway along Red Bluff or Fairmont of some kind at some point. 

I mean technically it could be feasible for any freeway run through there to just be elevated, right?  I mean if they are about to put like 20 miles of elevated lanes in San Antonio, or any of the insane (and awesome looking) stuff i've seen going up in Dallas, I don't see why not...

And I know you are almost certainly right about the interstate designations; all of that is just my own wishful fantasies.
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

Bobby5280

Quote from: achilles765I mean technically it could be feasible for any freeway run through there to just be elevated, right?  I mean if they are about to put like 20 miles of elevated lanes in San Antonio, or any of the insane (and awesome looking) stuff i've seen going up in Dallas, I don't see why not...

Elevated freeway structures are sometimes acceptable in busy commercial districts. But they don't go over so well in areas with a lot of residential development.

That's one of the difficulties with League City Parkway (TX-96). A bunch of new homes have been built right next to it in recent years. Portions of the Parkway are wide enough for an upgrade to a freeway (or toll road) closely flanked by frontage roads. But not all of it. The segment going east from I-45 to the TX-3 intersection doesn't have enough space, not to mention the intersection with I-45 is getting packed in with commercial development.

People will even block elevated freeway structures in mostly commercial districts. Look at the long-running saga of Watkins Drive in Kansas City.

Plutonic Panda

^^^^ build it lower and market it as a flood retention pond during bad storms lol

thisdj78

Quote from: Bobby5280 on October 13, 2021, 01:19:22 AM
Quote from: achilles765I mean technically it could be feasible for any freeway run through there to just be elevated, right?  I mean if they are about to put like 20 miles of elevated lanes in San Antonio, or any of the insane (and awesome looking) stuff i've seen going up in Dallas, I don't see why not...

Elevated freeway structures are sometimes acceptable in busy commercial districts. But they don't go over so well in areas with a lot of residential development.

That's one of the difficulties with League City Parkway (TX-96). A bunch of new homes have been built right next to it in recent years. Portions of the Parkway are wide enough for an upgrade to a freeway (or toll road) closely flanked by frontage roads. But not all of it. The segment going east from I-45 to the TX-3 intersection doesn't have enough space, not to mention the intersection with I-45 is getting packed in with commercial development.

People will even block elevated freeway structures in mostly commercial districts. Look at the long-running sage of Watkins Drive in Kansas City.

I think the original planned route from I-45 along 646 (and then along Tuscan Lakes Blvd to continue on 96 to 146) is still the best and doesn't impact any residential homes from what I see.

It's mainly businesses that would be impacted along 646 that can easily be relocated nearby which I'm sure they already anticipated when the route was planned. There's been commercial property along that stretch for as long as I can remember....with the shopping center being there at least for the last 10-15 years.

chays

According to this article (https://communityimpact.com/houston/bay-area/transportation/2021/09/22/completion-of-hwy-146-widening-delayed-until-fall-2023/) the completion date for the freeway conversion will be delayed until fall 2023.

I also learned this:
QuoteAs part of the project, a 5-mile stretch of Hwy. 146 between FM 518 and FM 517 will be widened from four to six lanes "to decrease traffic congestion; increase mobility; and improve hurricane evacuation, operational efficiency and safety along SH 146,"  per TxDOT's website.

The anticipated letting date–which is when bids will open for construction companies–for this section of Hwy. 146 will be in September 2022, but that is subject to change, according to George.

Bobby5280

The current TX-146 expansion project goes down to the intersection with TX-96. From that point down to the intersection with FM-1764 in Texas City it looks like it would be fairly simple to upgrade into a freeway. Only one spot along the way, on the North side of Dickinson Bayou, has any buildings that would have to be bought and removed.

The notion of expanding a portion of that existing section of TX-146 from a 4-lane street to a 6-lane street seems like a very modest, interim solution.

MaxConcrete

Quote from: Bobby5280 on November 15, 2022, 04:46:48 PM
The notion of expanding a portion of that existing section of TX-146 from a 4-lane street to a 6-lane street seems like a very modest, interim solution.

The next SH 146 project, from FM 518 to Dickinson Bayou, is slated to receive bids in May 2023. Estimated cost is $177.8 million. As the news article mentions, the widening will extend the freeway southward with an overpass at SH 96. But south of SH 96, it SH 146 becomes a 6-lane boulevard on the minimum needed right-of-way.

Looking at the schematic, there is right-of-way acquisition on the east side of SH146 from FM 518 to Bay Avenue (just south of SH 96), including displacements at Meadow. There is no right-of-way acquisition south of Bay Avenue.

As far as I know, this widening is the ultimate design and no further expansion is planned.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

TheBox

Wake me up when they upgrade US-290 between the state's largest city and growing capital into expressway standards if it interstate standards.

Giddings bypass, Elgin bypass, and Elgin-Manor freeway/tollway when?

MaxConcrete

Quote from: TheBox on November 17, 2023, 08:59:57 PM
How's the work down there currently?

Progress is very good and it is nearing completion

As of two weeks ago, main lanes north of NASA 1 look around 99% complete including striping and signage, with just a few spots needing final details.

The long elevated structure and bridge look substantially complete.

As of two weeks ago, work was focusing on the ground-level street on the Kemah side.

On October 24, Webber posted on twitter that the last of 1542 beams has been placed.

https://twitter.com/webberllc/status/1716848008040423456
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Chris

Almost all of the elevated freeway is built off center (to the west). I'm wondering if this is some kind of interim design to add another elevated highway next to it once the time comes to expand capacity to eight or more lanes?

July 2023 satellite image:

MaxConcrete

Quote from: Chris on November 23, 2023, 05:39:18 PM
Almost all of the elevated freeway is built off center (to the west). I'm wondering if this is some kind of interim design to add another elevated highway next to it once the time comes to expand capacity to eight or more lanes?

It's the ultimate design, not an interim design. The freeway will end just to the south, south of SH 96. Construction work is just getting started south of SH 96, but it won't be a freeway.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Chris

https://www.galvnews.com/news/state-highway-146-to-be-finished-by-february/article_e9aa949f-becc-529c-83a1-f61e0c060726.html

The long-anticipated state Highway 146 widening project is slated to be completed on time by February, the Texas Department of Transportation confirmed on Monday.

Chris

https://www.facebook.com/cityofkemahtx/posts/pfbid02GnwNidZHnUSJ99f9ubvR22p27oCdPMXvETYQaHfqowYbr2CKpBj9ctUsE4Q45bLFl

The city of Kemah reported on Facebook that the elevated lanes of SH 146 opened southbound on Friday (March 8) and northbound today (March 12).

MaxConcrete

Quote from: Chris on March 12, 2024, 10:28:29 AM
https://www.facebook.com/cityofkemahtx/posts/pfbid02GnwNidZHnUSJ99f9ubvR22p27oCdPMXvETYQaHfqowYbr2CKpBj9ctUsE4Q45bLFl

The city of Kemah reported on Facebook that the elevated lanes of SH 146 opened southbound on Friday (March 8) and northbound today (March 12).

Thanks for the update. I'll go drive it soon, pending suitable weather (this weekend may not be suitable.)
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Bobby5280

Good to hear the project is pretty much complete. I still think they should extend the super highway farther South at least to Texas City, if not all the way down to I-45. Aside from just helping improve general traffic flow TX-146 could serve as an additional hurricane evacuation route. I-45 is currently the only road without stop lights going North of Galveston. TX-146 could work as a relief valve for I-45.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: MaxConcrete on November 23, 2023, 07:53:08 PM
Quote from: Chris on November 23, 2023, 05:39:18 PM

It's the ultimate design, not an interim design. The freeway will end just to the south, south of SH 96. Construction work is just getting started south of SH 96, but it won't be a freeway.

The offset section is a former rail ROW that was converted to an easement for a major electric transmission line.

CoreySamson

I drove the new freeway on Saturday. I think it's extremely clever how they were able to keep the old bridge and thoroughfare through Kemah while fitting in a freeway alongside it.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

TXtoNJ

@MaxConcrete any chance this leads to work being done on the Red Bluff Freeway? Between Bayport, the need for hurricane evacuation, and Kemah's continuing growth, it seems like the time is ripe for reviving this project.

MaxConcrete

Quote from: TXtoNJ on March 18, 2024, 05:54:44 PM
@MaxConcrete any chance this leads to work being done on the Red Bluff Freeway? Between Bayport, the need for hurricane evacuation, and Kemah's continuing growth, it seems like the time is ripe for reviving this project.

The last I heard about Red Bluff road is that it was studied by HCTRA for toll feasibility but was rejected as being infeasible. Fairmont Parkway was also determined to be infeasible. That was probably at least 10 years ago.

The most recent long term H-GAC plan I can find does not list any improvements for Red Bluff Road south of Fairmont Parkway (which is the section in a frontage road configuration).
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

TheBox

The last aerial drone view from January before it opened

And also a drive thru under the highway before it opened

And just now realized and surprised that none of the local news stations (NBC 2 KRPC, CBS 11 KHOU, ABC 13 KTRK, FOX 26, etc.) covered it..........at least not yet
Wake me up when they upgrade US-290 between the state's largest city and growing capital into expressway standards if it interstate standards.

TheBox

thisdj78

Quote from: CoreySamson on March 18, 2024, 03:37:21 PM
I drove the new freeway on Saturday. I think it's extremely clever how they were able to keep the old bridge and thoroughfare through Kemah while fitting in a freeway alongside it.

Yeah I just realized that they are keeping the old bridge as part of the "access road".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.