AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules to ensure post quality. See this thread for details.

Poll

How much longer do you think Sears and Kmart Have?

6 Months
- 20 (19.6%)
9 Months
- 10 (9.8%)
One Year
- 28 (27.5%)
Two Years
- 21 (20.6%)
Five Years
- 13 (12.7%)
Ten Years
- 1 (1%)
They'll be around forever!
- 9 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 102

Author Topic: Sears-Kmart Death Watch  (Read 67623 times)

US71

• Road Scholar , Master of Snark

• Mad man with a camera

• Last Login: Today at 07:56:04 PM
    • The Road Less Taken
Re: Sears-Kmart Death Watch
« Reply #625 on: May 08, 2022, 10:09:14 PM »

Further back Blockbuster used to carry more obscure stuff.  Thatís more or less how I originally binged most monster, horror and slasher movies.
How much further back?  I don't remember a time when Blockbuster wasn't insisting on only carrying "family-friend" [read: no homos] movies.
[/quote]

That's a term I've not seen used in years.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

abefroman329

• Last Login: July 01, 2022, 05:48:58 PM
« Reply #626 on: May 09, 2022, 08:34:26 AM »

How much further back?  I don't remember a time when Blockbuster wasn't insisting on only carrying "family-friend" [read: no homos] movies.
That's a term I've not seen used in years.
Should have been "family-friendly," oops.

D-Dey65

• Last Login: Today at 07:05:23 PM
    • I-95; Still not finished in Boston, Central New Jersey, or Washington, D.C.
« Reply #627 on: May 09, 2022, 08:53:21 AM »

I don't mind Blockbuster going away at all.  I used to rent movies pretty often.  But Blockbuster liked to substitute PG cut versions of R films without even any notice on the box.  Maybe some parents with teen kids who are gonna watch the movie at home want that... but you've gotta tell people what they're paying for.
It was nice having Blockbuster around if I wanted to watch a particular movie and didn't want to have to wait for it to come in the mail from Netflix, but said movie had to be pretty mainstream in order for Blockbuster to carry it.
Anyone remember the scene from "Ghost World," where Enid and Rebecca are in that video store struggling to find a movie they want to watch, and then they cut to that scene were another customer is trying to find. "8 1/2" but the store offers him "9 1/2 Weeks?"

abefroman329

• Last Login: July 01, 2022, 05:48:58 PM
« Reply #628 on: May 09, 2022, 08:57:27 AM »

I don't mind Blockbuster going away at all.  I used to rent movies pretty often.  But Blockbuster liked to substitute PG cut versions of R films without even any notice on the box.  Maybe some parents with teen kids who are gonna watch the movie at home want that... but you've gotta tell people what they're paying for.
It was nice having Blockbuster around if I wanted to watch a particular movie and didn't want to have to wait for it to come in the mail from Netflix, but said movie had to be pretty mainstream in order for Blockbuster to carry it.
Anyone remember the scene from "Ghost World," where Enid and Rebecca are in that video store struggling to find a movie they want to watch, and then they cut to that scene were another customer is trying to find. "8 1/2" but the store offers him "9 1/2 Weeks?"
Haven't seen it, sorry.

ErmineNotyours

• Last Login: June 29, 2022, 05:46:18 PM
« Reply #629 on: May 09, 2022, 10:53:05 PM »

I haven't heard of that, but I have heard of independent stores in Utah that illegally pirated and created clean versions of R-rated movies.  What Blockbuster did was demand a cut version of Requiem For a Dream (2000).  It went out to theaters as unrated because it exceeded the content allowed for an R-rating, but the cut version went to video stores that wanted it, with "edited version" on the box.  Later that version clogged up the for-sale used bin.  Anyone interested in the movie wouldn't want the cut version anyway.  Of course, Blockbuster had no problem stocking unrated episodes of The Sopranos.  Target had no problem displaying unrated versions of Saw with its gross cover art.

thenetwork

• Last Login: Today at 09:09:32 PM
« Reply #630 on: June 02, 2022, 11:00:41 AM »

You are Transformco,...You are running out of big box Sears and Kmart stores to close...But previously, you said the "independently owned" Sears Hometown stores will stay around...what can you do???

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/nation-world/sears-store-closings-2022-full-list-hometown-locations/507-e9194dc5-c0c8-444b-9fa0-ee4301bf0f9a

The nearest, and only Sears Hometown I am aware of in my neck of the woods is in Montrose, CO....for now!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 11:07:10 AM by thenetwork »

DenverBrian

• Last Login: Today at 05:43:01 PM
« Reply #631 on: June 02, 2022, 11:13:59 AM »

Sears/Kmart goes out not with a bang, but with an incredibly long, sustained echo over years.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.