News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Sears-Kmart Death Watch

Started by Brandon, January 12, 2018, 03:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How much longer do you think Sears and Kmart Have?

6 Months
20 (19%)
9 Months
11 (10.5%)
One Year
28 (26.7%)
Two Years
23 (21.9%)
Five Years
13 (12.4%)
Ten Years
1 (1%)
They'll be around forever!
9 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 105

kkt

Quote from: Flint1979 on November 24, 2021, 05:10:17 PM
Quote from: steviep24 on November 24, 2021, 05:06:28 PM
I just read that Kmart plans on closing all but 6 remaining stores by the end of the year. Last time I checked there were around 16 Kmarts left so 10 stores. At this point why do they even bother keeping the remaining ones open?
Yeah if there are that few why keep them open? I have no idea where the closest Kmart is to me anymore and don't think I'll ever be in one again.

My guess would be the lease agreement on the stores may not have an early termination clause that applies to this situation and may require the store to stay open.

Flint1979

Quote from: kkt on November 24, 2021, 05:33:13 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on November 24, 2021, 05:10:17 PM
Quote from: steviep24 on November 24, 2021, 05:06:28 PM
I just read that Kmart plans on closing all but 6 remaining stores by the end of the year. Last time I checked there were around 16 Kmarts left so 10 stores. At this point why do they even bother keeping the remaining ones open?
Yeah if there are that few why keep them open? I have no idea where the closest Kmart is to me anymore and don't think I'll ever be in one again.

My guess would be the lease agreement on the stores may not have an early termination clause that applies to this situation and may require the store to stay open.
That is probably true. I wonder how many of these Kmart stores are actually profitable.

tolbs17

Sears is also closed at the Triangle Town Center in Raleigh too. So no more sears in North Carolina!!! (This was posted late)

https://www.wral.com/sears-at-triangle-town-center-closing-in-october-markdowns-have-begun/19851276/

tchafe1978

At this point, if you're still working for Kmart, when do you start looking for a new job? Or why wouldn't you have already found a new job? Why would anyone still be working on a sinking ship? Or is it like being part of the orchestra on the Titanic?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: tchafe1978 on November 25, 2021, 12:49:35 PM
At this point, if you're still working for Kmart, when do you start looking for a new job? Or why wouldn't you have already found a new job? Why would anyone still be working on a sinking ship? Or is it like being part of the orchestra on the Titanic?

A lot of people this last decade took it Kmart and Sears as an opportunity to get management experience.  Example; one of the guys who used to be an LP investigator for me back when I worked at Sears 2005-2010 couldn't get an opportunity to be a manager when company still had a pulse.  He basically stayed on for close to another decade closing stores down as an LP Manager and came away with solid paper experience he could take to other companies.

I would imagine a lot of hourly people just need jobs or potentially whatever benefits might be available.  The annual turnover rate in normal retail is 40-60% anyways so I can't imagine that the remaining Kmart and Sears stores is viewed much differently to other retailers on that level.     

Scott5114

Maybe I should start putting down on my resume that I was a general manager at Sears once they go under. How would anyone check?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 25, 2021, 09:38:38 PM
Maybe I should start putting down on my resume that I was a general manager at Sears once they go under. How would anyone check?

About the best you can do is look up the address referenced.  The store I was at closed a long time ago.  When I was going through my Federal background it was the only item that had a viable reference point.  I suppose it would be pretty easy to fake provided you can easily fabricate some "professional references"  also.

LilianaUwU

That wouldn't work... nobody in their right mind would proudly say on a résumé that they worked at Sears.  :bigass:
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: LilianaUwU on November 25, 2021, 09:56:52 PM

That wouldn't work... nobody in their right mind would proudly say on a résumé that they worked at Sears.  :bigass:

Pre-Eddie Lampert dumpster fire with Sears actually used (probably does) to hold some weight for managment positions. 

epzik8

Quote from: Flint1979 on November 22, 2021, 07:39:49 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on June 19, 2021, 06:56:28 PM
I just went into the last remaining Kmart store in the state of Michigan which is located in Marshall. Serious lack of energy, and nothing has changed from the last time I was in a Kmart store. There are a few customers, empty shelf space, dead areas of the store. Talk about a company that is lost in the 90s. They were still using IBM monitors at their checkout lanes too.

I bought a pop on the way out just so I can say I bought something. By the way John was a very strange individual, he talked very loud and wanted me to help out St Jude's which I didn't.
Actually I posted the receipt from my very last trip to the Marshall Kmart.
I think some Targets kept their IBMs until pretty recently.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Flint1979

Quote from: epzik8 on November 25, 2021, 10:08:37 PM
I just went into the last remaining Kmart store in the state of Michigan which is located in Marshall. Serious lack of energy, and nothing has changed from the last time I was in a Kmart store. There are a few customers, empty shelf space, dead areas of the store. Talk about a company that is lost in the 90s. They were still using IBM monitors at their checkout lanes too.

I bought a pop on the way out just so I can say I bought something. By the way John was a very strange individual, he talked very loud and wanted me to help out St Jude's which I didn't.
The thing that got me was the Sears receipt rolls like they ran out of their own so they probably just started using old ones from Sears that were never used.

kalvado

Quote from: Flint1979 on November 26, 2021, 08:04:33 AM

The thing that got me was the Sears receipt rolls like they ran out of their own so they probably just started using old ones from Sears that were never used.
Do you think they worry about brand integrity any more?

Flint1979

Quote from: kalvado on November 26, 2021, 08:12:41 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on November 26, 2021, 08:04:33 AM

Do you think they worry about brand integrity any more?
I think that went out the window years ago.

DenverBrian

Life in Paradise

Quote from: DenverBrian on December 08, 2021, 01:58:05 PM
https://howmanykmartstores.com/

https://howmanysearsstores.com/

17 Kmarts and 23 Sears still open as of November 11.
Part of me thinks....what's the use of keeping those open, especially since a quarter of that sliver will be closing soon.  It's almost not worth having a home office staff for that small number of stores.  Another thought is that Sears still has its Hometown stores and hardware stores.  I think that may be where this goes, back into the small local town chain.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Life in Paradise on December 09, 2021, 11:03:40 AM
Part of me thinks....what's the use of keeping those open, especially since a quarter of that sliver will be closing soon.  It's almost not worth having a home office staff for that small number of stores.  Another thought is that Sears still has its Hometown stores and hardware stores.  I think that may be where this goes, back into the small local town chain.

Being a union shop, Sears can't afford to shut down all of its stores at once.  They have a fairly hefty severance package for their long-term union employees. 

DenverBrian

Quote from: Dirt Roads on December 09, 2021, 04:36:53 PM

Quote from: Life in Paradise on December 09, 2021, 11:03:40 AM

Being a union shop, Sears can't afford to shut down all of its stores at once.  They have a fairly hefty severance package for their long-term union employees. 
I don't think that's it; rather, I think the remaining stores are under long-term low-rent leases, so even if the stores are making only a bit of money, they'll keep them open until the leases expire.

GCrites

Any mall stores left are paying little to no rent. Class B malls are ecstatic to still have a Sears and even some Class A -- or former enclosed malls that have seen partial demo but the Sears still marches on.

SectorZ

I happened to go to the Sears in Braintree, MA this afternoon, which I believe is the last full dept. store Sears standing in New England.

A few years ago, half of each floor was turned into a Primark, so it's still two floors but half the size.

The lower entrance there was an auto center at the entrance. It was recently closed, 11/24, per a sign at the desk. Meanwhile though, there was a stand of batteries and a toppled pile of 100+ air filters, maybe for sale, maybe not. Given they were in an alcove at the store entrance with no line of sight to an open register, I imagine anyone could make off with one without worrying about being caught.

The first floor was all hardlines, and not much of it. Like I've seen in other stores before a closing sale, some aisles look filled with merchandise, but then you see the whole aisle is in many cases the same exact item. Just tons of the same single item.

Second floor was softlines. Was a little more filled in and actually seemed like it had a lot of interested shoppers. I guess knowing Sears is biting the dust soon I'd be much less worried buying clothing then some sort of large appliance.

The mall it's in, the South Shore Plaza, was insanely busy and has the fewest vacancies of any mall I have seen around me, so I can see why Sears has stuck around there.

kkt

Feel sorry for the Sears headquarters staff.  They're just playing out the cards in a game they've already lost.  It won't be a bright spot on their resumes, no matter how well they play out their losing hands.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: SectorZ on December 11, 2021, 07:31:37 PM
I happened to go to the Sears in Braintree, MA this afternoon, which I believe is the last full dept. store Sears standing in New England.

A few years ago, half of each floor was turned into a Primark, so it's still two floors but half the size.

The lower entrance there was an auto center at the entrance. It was recently closed, 11/24, per a sign at the desk. Meanwhile though, there was a stand of batteries and a toppled pile of 100+ air filters, maybe for sale, maybe not. Given they were in an alcove at the store entrance with no line of sight to an open register, I imagine anyone could make off with one without worrying about being caught.

The first floor was all hardlines, and not much of it. Like I've seen in other stores before a closing sale, some aisles look filled with merchandise, but then you see the whole aisle is in many cases the same exact item. Just tons of the same single item.

Second floor was softlines. Was a little more filled in and actually seemed like it had a lot of interested shoppers. I guess knowing Sears is biting the dust soon I'd be much less worried buying clothing then some sort of large appliance.

The mall it's in, the South Shore Plaza, was insanely busy and has the fewest vacancies of any mall I have seen around me, so I can see why Sears has stuck around there.

I went in there looking for something a few months ago. It was hard to make sense of the fact that the store was open. Maybe 50% of the floor space was being used. Merchandise was spread out unconvincingly to look like the space was filled. The store closes at something like 6 PM. Almost nobody was shopping.

I'm curious what the rationale is here for being open. Maybe it's something about their lease? It was the closest I've ever seen to a store officially going out of business without them officially going out of business.

SectorZ

Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 12, 2021, 09:51:31 AM
Quote from: SectorZ on December 11, 2021, 07:31:37 PM

I went in there looking for something a few months ago. It was hard to make sense of the fact that the store was open. Maybe 50% of the floor space was being used. Merchandise was spread out unconvincingly to look like the space was filled. The store closes at something like 6 PM. Almost nobody was shopping.

I'm curious what the rationale is here for being open. Maybe it's something about their lease? It was the closest I've ever seen to a store officially going out of business without them officially going out of business.

I imagine all the remaining Sears look like this. Any of the ones I can think of that closed near me (Marlboro, Leominster, Salem NH, Nashua NH) had the same sparse look in the 1-2 years before closing.

I wish they took Diehard and instead of it being a product name make it a motto, because this slow whimper death is just so freakin' sad to watch. Not that I am super nostalgic about it (I was more about Kmart) but it's just so oddly nonsensical to watch.

GCrites

Even when Die Hard was over Nakatomi Plaza still stood.

Flint1979

Before the Sears store closed in Fashion Square Mall in Saginaw in 2019 I would say it started looking sparse around 2016-2017 and I had kept wondering when it would be on the list of store closures for Sears. Well the one in Genesee Valley Mall in Flint closed in 2018 and I knew at that point that Fashion Square Mall was going to be on the next list of closures and sure enough it was. I had been thinking the store was going to close 2-3 year before that though.

I've mentioned it before but the last Kmart store in Saginaw closed not because of low profits but because the roof collapsed during a winter storm where we had several inches of snow the night that it happened. It happened in the middle of the night in January 2014. For awhile they were planning on reopening the store as this was at a time when Kmart still had several stores left in Michigan.

https://www.mlive.com/business/mid-michigan/2014/01/partial_roof_collapse_closes_s.html

Pete from Boston

My business trailed off before the stores closed, but most of the ones here leased away half their space (usually to Primark) and ended up crammed to the gills with too much merchandise in too little space. It got to be impossible for them to manage and I gave up. Just awful floor maintenance.

I have said many times that Sears ended up pretty well infected with Kmart's low-work-ethic culture, but honestly at times at the end it seemed even worse, if that's possible.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.