News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Cincinnati Eastern Bypass (rerouting I-71?)

Started by Hot Rod Hootenanny, December 25, 2018, 02:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Any thought of taking I-71 outside of I-275, around Cincy?
https://nkyouterloopstudy.org/

http://www.cincyeasternbypass.com/

(edit - added map of northern Kentucky loop)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

seicer

If we can't even get the Brent Spence Bridge dualized or replaced, I can't see a $1 billion project with a new Ohio River bridge be built. I think this is the one that KYTC conducted a feasibility study and even with tolls, this project couldn't be realized.

SP Cook

This seems unnecessary.  A N-S motorist attempting to bypass Cincy is still well served by using 275.  Yes it is more congested than decades ago, but not so much as to require billions to bypass it.

What is needed in the east of Cincy is a direct connection between OH 32 and downtown.

sparker

Looks like a slightly closer-in variant on the old "I-875" outer ring that was contemplated about 20-25 years ago (that actually had its eastern Ohio River crossing all the way out at Maysville, KY!).  I would guess that the same issues (money, inter-state disagreements) that sunk the first proposal haven't changed all that much since them; this bypass is simply one in a series of regional pipedreams. 

Truvelo

Can I propose something a little more realistic when it comes to expenditure? Instead of a complete bypass why not just build a short connection between I-71 south and I-275 Exit 65. This should relieve the southern area of some traffic.

I have never been stuck in stationary traffic when driving through Cincy so I don't see the point of another bypass.

Speed limits limit life

bandit957

There's not even the slightest need for this. The eastern bypass proposal came about because a few powerful people were throwing a tantrum because the Brent Spence Bridge wasn't being built the way they wanted it.

A few days ago I did see the map for what's really just a southern bypass, but there's no need for it either.

We do not need another brand new freeway within 50 miles of here.

I think the I-875 proposal in the '90s was dropped because the guy who was pushing it was basically a con man.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

SSR_317

Quote from: Truvelo on December 25, 2018, 02:53:18 PM
Can I propose something a little more realistic when it comes to expenditure? Instead of a complete bypass why not just build a short connection between I-71 south and I-275 Exit 65. This should relieve the southern area of some traffic.

I have never been stuck in stationary traffic when driving through Cincy so I don't the point of another bypass.
This seem far more reasonable a proposal that the ones posted above, that have the smell of pork and the feel of a boondoggle (IMHO).

hbelkins

Quote from: Truvelo on December 25, 2018, 02:53:18 PM

I have never been stuck in stationary traffic when driving through Cincy...

I have. Several times. On I-75, the area near Paddock Road, near the Norwood Lateral, comes to a standstill just about every afternoon. And an area near Sharonville south of I-275 does as well. That's why the last time I went to Dayton and would have been traveling through Cincy in the late afternoon, I crossed the river at Maysville and used US 68 and OH 73 instead of I-75.

I think the outer loop proposal is being floated as an "instead of" to the Brent Spence twinning instead of "in addition to." The Brent Spence isn't structurally deficient, those claims of idiots who think the bridge is going to fall into the river if nothing's done notwithstanding. It is functionally obsolete for the amount of traffic it carries, but if through I-71 traffic can be diverted off the Brent Spence, some of the issues would be solved.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

seicer

Having been a former resident of Cincinnati (proper) for 7 years, I was stuck in traffic on I-75 more times than I cared to count - in Ohio and Kentucky. One minor incident in either state and those "Distance To/Time" signs will just list 99 minutes. Might as well replace it with the infinity symbol!

I always wondered why the I-71 connector to I-471 was not built, and I assume it was the cost because of the much more rugged terrain. I-75 follows a more gentle, agrarian route. That's one of the biggest issues with the outer-outer-belt proposal that was floated around years ago, along with the I-74/outer-outer-belt proposal from the state. It made the proposals too expensive, even with tolls.

bandit957

Quote from: seicer on December 26, 2018, 07:18:35 PM\
I always wondered why the I-71 connector to I-471 was not built, and I assume it was the cost because of the much more rugged terrain.

There's no room for it.

seicer

hbelkins

From my understanding, there are basically two groups really pushing for the outer loop. One is a group of developers who want better access to unused land. Another is a group of northern Kentuckians who are adamantly opposed to tolls (which is the only way the Brent Spence project will ever get done.)

Maybe someone should propose tolling the outer loop or 71-to-275 connector and watch some heads explode.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

hbelkins

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on May 05, 2019, 11:51:30 PM
Someone else did the heavy lifting on this graphic. Reportedly from the Cincinnati Inquirer, from 1970.

https://forum.urbanohio.com/topic/14340-cincinnati-eastern-bypass/?do=findComment&comment=886634

Is it just me, or are the image and link broken for anyone else?

froggie

DJStephens

Quote from: bandit957 on December 26, 2018, 11:35:21 AM
There's not even the slightest need for this. The eastern bypass proposal came about because a few powerful people were throwing a tantrum because the Brent Spence Bridge wasn't being built the way they wanted it.

A few days ago I did see the map for what's really just a southern bypass, but there's no need for it either.

We do not need another brand new freeway within 50 miles of here.

I think the I-875 proposal in the '90s was dropped because the guy who was pushing it was basically a con man.

Not an Cincinnati expert here, but what was the tantrum regarding the Brent Spence Bridge about?  What did they want?  Guessing also, that the "con man" was some sort of developer?   

bandit957

Quote from: DJStephens on June 30, 2019, 02:19:38 PM
Not an Cincinnati expert here, but what was the tantrum regarding the Brent Spence Bridge about?  What did they want?  Guessing also, that the "con man" was some sort of developer?

The "con man" wasn't even a developer. He was just some crackpot who came up with this sob story about how rough his life growing up was and how people should listen to him.

The tantrum about the Brent Spence Bridge came about because a small but well-funded cadre insisted on building it without tolls and wanted to raise the sales tax instead. When it appeared that it might need tolls, they insisted it not get built at all.

Henry

I don't even see the need for another bypass of this magnitude, either. With the I-75 Mill Creek modernization about to wrap up in a year or two (and hopefully, the forthcoming modernization of the Brent Spence Bridge), travel through the city ought to improve a great deal more.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.