News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Not US holidays by tiers

Started by hbelkins, January 22, 2019, 02:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: hbelkins on January 29, 2019, 10:51:42 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 28, 2019, 09:28:01 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on January 28, 2019, 07:34:14 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 28, 2019, 02:46:20 PM
Quote from: slorydn1 on January 28, 2019, 02:02:28 PM
Quote from: Big John on January 22, 2019, 03:38:16 PM
^^ there are those who watch the SB solely for its commercials.

With the exception of Super Bowls XX and XLI, that would be me.
Bears fan in North Carolina?

A former co-worker of mine, who's lived in Kentucky all his life, was a Bears fan.

And don't get me started on all the Dallas Cowgirls fans that aren't in Texas.
Well Kentucky doesn't have a team.

For most of Kentucky, the natural geographical team to support would be the Bungles. I'm told that before the Bungles came along, the Browns were very popular in eastern and central Kentucky. For the western part of the state, it was traditionally St. Louis when that city had an NFL team. The Tennessee Titans have siphoned some of the fans away, though, because of Nashville's proximity to much of western and west-central and south-central Kentucky. There are also a few Indianapolis Colts fan pockets along the Ohio River.

For baseball, most of Kentucky was Reds country for decades, with the western parts of the state gravitating to the Cardinals and/or Cubs. But when WTBS, Channel 17 out of Atlanta, got on so many cable systems with their Braves games, a lot of younger folks abandoned the Reds for the Braves. And the Cubs have gained a lot of bandwagon fans in the past few years in this area.

But the number of Kentuckians who are Alabama Crimson Tide football fans just astonishes me.
The Bengals are so bad that I'm sure that fans only really extend into the Cinci suburbs.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

abefroman329

The fact that their games are/were carried by superstation WGN for decades is also the reason why Cubs fandom outstrips White Sox fandom.

kphoger

This may be the only football-related post I've made on here (I don't really care about sports), but...

Being a Cowboys fan is a lifestyle choice.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Quote from: SP Cook on January 29, 2019, 12:32:46 PM
Similarly, the Redskins claimed the entire south.  You still find Redskins fans 1000s of miles from DC.

Not thousands of miles, but I can think of one pretty prominent North Carolinian who's a 'Skins fan. Dale Jr.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: hbelkins on January 29, 2019, 03:11:15 PM
Quote from: SP Cook on January 29, 2019, 12:32:46 PM
Similarly, the Redskins claimed the entire south.  You still find Redskins fans 1000s of miles from DC.

Not thousands of miles, but I can think of one pretty prominent North Carolinian who's a 'Skins fan. Dale Jr.
The Redskins barely have DC anymore.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

abefroman329

In general, NFL fandom has lagged behind college football fandom in the South for decades. Has to do with the fact that the NFL was forced to integrate before college football was.

hotdogPi

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 30, 2019, 07:14:57 AM
In general, NFL fandom has lagged behind college football fandom in the South for decades. Has to do with the fact that the NFL was forced to integrate before college football was.

Link to article: https://thecomeback.com/nfl/the-electoral-map-of-football-the-nfl-vs-college-football.html

Here, red means college football is more popular, and blue means the NFL is more popular. The person who wrote the article received enough feedback to say that he probably used the wrong color for SD (he said there are no nearby major teams in either NFL or college football, so he defaulted to NFL) and MO. NV is blue due to the betting markets.

Only a few states are the "incorrect" color.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

SP Cook

Race has exactly nothing to do with the relative popularity of NFL vs. NCAA football.

formulanone

There's other reasons that take precedent: NFL's popularity in rural markets didn't start up until the 1970s-1980s (if at all, in some markets), some people aren't going to identify with a city/team that's hundreds of miles away, and some folks are just going to be fans of only one team. Their favorite college team has been around for decades longer, and that's how it stays. Players are less likely to change college teams, and players don't feel the same allegiance to their professional teams. Race has to be so far down the list by this point in the 21st century...in that case, maybe they should just stick to watching downhill skiing and call it an afternoon.

In your smaller markets, there wasn't as much fuss over the threat of the 2011 NFL lockout/strike, so as long as college football wasn't affected.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1 on January 30, 2019, 08:15:19 AM

Link to article: https://thecomeback.com/nfl/the-electoral-map-of-football-the-nfl-vs-college-football.html

Here, red means college football is more popular, and blue means the NFL is more popular. The person who wrote the article received enough feedback to say that he probably used the wrong color for SD (he said there are no nearby major teams in either NFL or college football, so he defaulted to NFL) and MO. NV is blue due to the betting markets.

Surprised that NM is blue.

oscar

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 30, 2019, 10:55:58 AM

I'm not. No major college teams of its own, and near several NFL teams (Broncos to the north, Cardinals to the west, to a lesser extent Cowboys and Texans to the southeast).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: oscar on January 30, 2019, 11:09:30 AM

I'm not. No major college teams of its own, and near several NFL teams (Broncos to the north, Cardinals to the west, to a lesser extent Cowboys and Texans to the southeast).
I feel like LA could go blue too because of the rukus after the call.

Brandon

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 30, 2019, 12:02:11 PM

Louisiana is a toss up between the Saints and the LSU Tigers.  In NOLA, it's the Saints first, followed by the Tigers.  The rest of the state is the other way 'round.

Wisconsin is an interesting one.  On Saturday, it's all red for the Badgers.  On Sunday, it's all green and yellow for the Packers.  Not really much one instead of the other (except for the guy here who roots for the Colts for some odd reason, despite being Wisconsin born and bred, and living there currently).

In Michigan, it's green and white (MSU) or toilet blue and piss yellow (um).  While the Lie-Downs..er..Lions are there, the Honolulu blue and silver really hasn't done much since the 1950s.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

TheHighwayMan3561

New Orleans might be the strongest overall NFL market. Any listing of primetime game ratings generally features it as the highest rated neutral market (markets of teams not participating in the game).
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kphoger

You think people who don't care about the NFL will suddenly care about the NFL because of a bad call having negatively affected a team they didn't care about to begin with?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US 89

Quote from: 1 on January 30, 2019, 08:15:19 AM

I think it's less a function of race and more a function of the population distribution across the US. Almost all large population centers lean heavily Democratic. Guess where most NFL teams are located.

abefroman329

To be clear, I'm talking about the knock-on effects of the spread between when the NFL integrated and when college sports integrated (and, consequently, the period of time when pro-segregation football fans could enjoy segregated college football but not segregated pro football), not modern attitudes towards race as exhibited by football fans.  The NFL didn't really gain mass appeal until the 1980s in any part of the country.

Big John

^^ I would argue that pro football became popular in the 1960s and earlier in home markets.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 30, 2019, 02:23:07 PM
To be clear, I'm talking about the knock-on effects of the spread between when the NFL integrated and when college sports integrated (and, consequently, the period of time when pro-segregation football fans could enjoy segregated college football but not segregated pro football), not modern attitudes towards race as exhibited by football fans.  The NFL didn't really gain mass appeal until the 1980s in any part of the country.
1980s? Meh that seems late.

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 30, 2019, 04:15:39 PM

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 30, 2019, 02:23:07 PM

1980s? Meh that seems late.

Seems late to me too.  I was born in 1981, and one of my very early memories was Super Bowl XX–during which my family and bunch of their friends got together for a party.  I won the spread bet at 4 years old, but my parents didn't let me take the pot.
Male pronouns, please.

Takumi

Ken Burns' documentary Baseball put it around the 60s as well.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Roadgeekteen

This thread needs a new name.

ce929wax

I'm an ex-Lions fan, as I get older, I don't really have a team anymore, as I am more interested in playing the sports video games than I am keeping track of what is going on in the real life league.  I do a home brew fantasy style sports league where I take one team, create a schedule for them and then play those games on the video game.  I do the post season games at random.  Games I can't get to are put into a simulator at whatifsports.com and the first score that comes up is the one that is taken.

I still will pay to see baseball, hockey, and college/minor league sports in person.  You couldn't pay me to go to an NFL or NBA game.  I believe that the NFL and NBA are rigged to a certain extent, as I believe the referees are instructed to call certain games, certain ways. 

formulanone

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 22, 2019, 03:19:24 PM
Quote from: Brandon on January 22, 2019, 03:01:10 PM
Quote from: SP Cook on January 22, 2019, 12:30:10 PM
Super Sunday.  Everybody, even people who don't like the NFL, watches the game, often at a party. 

Maybe in some parts of the country, but others couldn't care less about the game.  I, for one, see no reason to watch it as my team has never been to a Super Bowl (and probably won't until after the eventual heat death of the universe).
People who smugly state "Oh, is there some sort of game today?" on Super Bowl Sunday are almost as insufferable...Watch it or don't, who cares?

There's also the folks who call it "hand-egg" or Superb Owl who think their joke is unique.

My team hasn't been in it for over 30 years, but I still like to see the best two (well, usually) teams play.

I don't know about making Super Bowl a holiday; it's already on a Sunday. There's no reason to air the game at 6:00 pm Eastern Time. Nobody's doing all that much on an early-February afternoon, and 10:00 pm is too late for a sporting event to end when there is work and school the following day. Obviously, this isn't as big a deal for those in Mountain and Pacific time zones, but it is for 2/3 of the United States. Put it back to 3:00 pm so families can watch the whole thing as a family or just have it on Saturday night so the over-zealous celebrants can be fresh for Monday. There's already a 14-day gap between games, and taking away one day isn't going to matter.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: ce929wax on January 30, 2019, 05:50:16 PM
I'm an ex-Lions fan, as I get older, I don't really have a team anymore, as I am more interested in playing the sports video games than I am keeping track of what is going on in the real life league.  I do a home brew fantasy style sports league where I take one team, create a schedule for them and then play those games on the video game.  I do the post season games at random.  Games I can't get to are put into a simulator at whatifsports.com and the first score that comes up is the one that is taken.

I still will pay to see baseball, hockey, and college/minor league sports in person.  You couldn't pay me to go to an NFL or NBA game.  I believe that the NFL and NBA are rigged to a certain extent, as I believe the referees are instructed to call certain games, certain ways.
Of course you think the NFL is rigged. You are a Lions fan.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.