News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Memorable Commercials

Started by roadman65, July 24, 2019, 09:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

As a child I always remember the Getty commercial with that whistling jingle they once had.  Then later on in the early 80's I remember Getty was the first gas station to rid themselves of old leaded gas.  Their announcer used to say "Travel down the road, see a sign with a nice low price, then pull up to the pump and find out that its for leaded gas.  The unleaded gas they need is much higher.  This could neve happen at a Getty Station because all our gas is unleaded."

Then Exxon in 1977 had the Lets Make Every Mile Count jingle.  Followed by the next year in 78, the acronym TFCBT which was Thanks For Coming By Today.

Then Midas with their telescopic muffler "This muffle fits any car( while the smartass mechanic extends if from small to large)" as well as the drive in movie that depicts a love scene where the male character on the screen can't kiss his girl because he hears a loud muffler in the drive in movie that was showing his movie.

I know this is redundant to the one thread I created over a few months back but the search engine here won't find it for me.

Oh yes, the Federal Express Commercials with the one man on the phone to the another man saying "If I don't get that package by tomorrow I am out of business!"  Then days later The Dingbats Air Express show up at his business now with a Closed sign on it with a doofus delivery guy confused as all heck cause he has the right address but don't know why the business is closed.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman65 on July 24, 2019, 09:06:16 PM
As a child I always remember the Getty commercial with that whistling jingle they once had.  Then later on in the early 80's I remember Getty was the first gas station to rid themselves of old leaded gas.  Their announcer used to say "Travel down the road, see a sign with a nice low price, then pull up to the pump and find out that its for leaded gas.  The unleaded gas they need is much higher.  This could neve happen at a Getty Station because all our gas is unleaded."
Such, promoting all unleaded gas, is a serious 180 from how Getty advertised when other brands were phasing out leaded premium gas (in favor of unleaded premium).

Going by memory, here's how one radio ad for such went (paraphrased):
Quote from: old Getty ad"That's right, they (car manufacturers) don't make them like they used; and for the millions of big, powerful cars out on the road today, we (Getty) still provide leaded premium gas for it so you can drive your car for years to come.  Trade your car in because you want to; not because you can't get gas for it."
GPS does NOT equal GOD

briantroutman

Quote from: roadman65 on July 24, 2019, 09:06:16 PM
I know this is redundant to the one thread I created over a few months back but the search engine here won't find it for me.

You mean this thread? https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=6a1a68d03bf75afd8243d19931fe7081&topic=7332.0

Here's a suggestion. Don't use the forum's built-in search tool. It's basically worthless. Instead, go to Google and type site:aaroads.com/forum and then type whatever you're trying to find.

In this case, I just searched site:aaroads.com/forum roadman65 commercials, and the thread appeared at the top of the results list in less than a second.

Max Rockatansky

Pee Wee don't do the cheap street level stuff:

bandit957

Is it just my imagination, or did Marathon gas stations really have a jingle around 1988 that went, "Marathon's got it!"?

I can't find any mention of it on the Internet anywhere, but I know it existed. It was a whole song that was sung by a guy with a funny voice. I don't remember any of the words except "Marathon's got it!" I can almost remember the melody of the rest of it, but not quite.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

bandit957

Also, I thought for sure that Casey Kasem did the voiceover in a commersh for St. Joseph aspirin pretty late in his career. I can't find any mention of it either.

Big John

Hey Mikey,!  He likes it!

roadman65

What airline used to use the calypso song Yellow Bird to promote their airlines?  I remember it well played  on radio ads in the years 1970 and 1971? 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

RoadRebel

Anyone else remember?
"HeadOn. Apply directly to the forehead. HeadOn. Apply directly to the forehead. HeadOn. Apply directly to the forehead."

It made me want smash the TV!
Keep right (not middle) except to pass!

bandit957

Quote from: RoadRebel on October 23, 2021, 04:39:09 PM
Anyone else remember?
"HeadOn. Apply directly to the forehead. HeadOn. Apply directly to the forehead. HeadOn. Apply directly to the forehead."

This reminds me of a radio commercial that aired on a small local AM station in the mid-'80s. It was for a baldness cure and had a weird, thumping music bed. The voice-over man would say, "Sure, there is nothing you can rub on your head to make your hair grow." I don't know whether this product worked or not, but it seemed to be part of a series of vitamin ads that always aired on this station.

They also used to run an ad for a vacation package where a man said, "Places with a theme make me run out of steam."

Also, does anyone remember the soup wars? This was in maybe the early 2000s.

thspfc

George Washington crossing the Delaware Turnpike

All of the Dr. Rick commercials

This is the best commercial ever made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbkafMhmvMo

bandit957

I remember a funny series of TV commercials in the mid-'80s. It started out with a woman saying something like: "You know what? I avoid sugar. But sometimes I want..."

Long pause.

The suspense is mounting!

Are you ready for it?

"...bubble gum!"

Then it shows people engaged in various strenuous activities such as playing tennis or lifting weights, all blowing a bubble with bubble gum as they did so. This ad was for Care-Free gum and had several different versions from roughly 1984-86. There used to be bubble gum commercials all the time back then, but there's hardly any now.

Max Rockatansky

Super Mario telling me I'll go to Hell before I die if I use was drugs was pretty memorable:

Begs the question though, if I go to Hell while I'm still alive where do I go when I die? 

CapeCodder

Quote from: roadman65 on October 23, 2021, 04:29:01 PM
What airline used to use the calypso song Yellow Bird to promote their airlines?  I remember it well played  on radio ads in the years 1970 and 1971?

Northeast

Life in Paradise

Quote from: bandit957 on July 26, 2019, 11:52:24 PM
Also, I thought for sure that Casey Kasem did the voiceover in a commersh for St. Joseph aspirin pretty late in his career. I can't find any mention of it either.
From what I could tell from a Google search, he did it in 2004, but I couldn't find the actual commercial on a quick search.

jmd41280

Quote from: RoadRebel on October 23, 2021, 04:39:09 PM
Anyone else remember?

Crowbar. Apply directly to the TV. Crowbar. Apply directly to the TV. Crowbar. Apply directly to the TV.
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.