News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Hockey

Started by BigMattFromTexas, March 15, 2010, 08:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

Dropped by the Kraken Iceplex today to snap a few photos before driving down for the Sounders game. Pretty nice place, and nicely located with a new light rail station opening nearby next month and plenty of parking (given that this is a converted mall space).

The main rink:

One of the side rinks:

The main lobby:

Bonus shot of Climate Pledge Arena for good measure:

ET21

Less than a month until the NHL returns :D
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: ET21 on September 13, 2021, 09:23:10 AM
Less than a month until the NHL returns :D

Yeah, I hope the Habs will be lucky again this year to go to the finals again. And we'll said a goodbye to the Nassau Coleseum, long time home of the NY Islanders.

The NHL posted a blog post about the schedule of the upcoming season and there's still no decision about if NHL's stars will play to the Winter Olympics or not.  https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-announces-2021-22-regular-season-schedule/c-325741704

Stephane Dumas

Goaltender Carey Price taking part in NHL-NHLPA player assistance program.
https://www.tsn.ca/carey-price-montreal-canadiens-1.1703437

QuoteMontreal Canadiens goaltender  is seeking help, voluntarily entering the NHL's player assistance program.

The NHL and NHL Players' Association said in a release that the 34-year-old star goalie will be away from the team while he takes part in the program. The release did not specify why Price entered the program and said there would be no further comment.

The news came out of the blue. Previously the discussion over Price was whether the native of Anahim Lake, B.C., would recover from off-season surgery to repair a torn meniscus in time to start the season.

Montreal, which made it to the Stanley Cup final earlier this year, opens its 2021-22 campaign next Wednesday at Toronto.

"I didn't see it coming," said Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin. "To be up front with you, news came to me yesterday. So yeah, it caught me off-guard, yes."

The news comes a day after Canadiens head coach Dominique Ducharme said it would be unlikely that Price would be ready to start the season due to an unspecified illness.

Price's wife Angela cited mental health in an Instagram post showing Price and their three kids.

"Part of the privilege of being in the position our family is in, is that we also get a public platform to show how there is and can be a path for anyone who is struggling," she wrote. "No matter what is on the line, we hope we can communicate the importance of putting your mental health first not just by saying it, but by showing up and doing the work to get better.

There's also a thread about it on HFBoards. https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/price-enters-nhl-nhlpa-players-assistance-program-mod-warning-in-post-1.2848566/

ET21

24 hours until opening night!
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Billy F 1988

Want your hockey fix tonight? ESPN just got a nice TV deal with the NHL and is returning to broadcast select NHL games this season. The only thing I wonder is how to possibly fit Gary Thorne and Bill Clement into the mix knowing how much more diverse ESPN's NHL crew is today. You think about Thorne's great calls during ESPN's earlier run with the NHL, special moments like when Ray Borque finally earned his Stanley Cup ring and hearing Gary Thorne's excited delight just sends chills. It should be interesting to see how ESPN does with the two night-cap games. I know what you're thinking; "Did ESPN really sign a new NHL TV deal long after they signed off their last game in 2004?" Yep. I don't know how many they're doing since you have NHL Network doing select games.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

SP Cook

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on October 12, 2021, 06:00:23 PM
I don't know how many they're doing since you have NHL Network doing select games.

Seven years.

In traditional linear TV terms, ESPN gets 100 regular season games, four Stanley Cup finals, and half of the playoffs.  TNT gets 72 regular season games, three Stanley Cup finals, half of the playoffs, and the New Year's Day outdoor game.  NHL Network will carry 75 regular season games, most all of them "nationalized"  meaning they take the feed from a local broadcast. 

Some ESPN games can be moved to ABC.

In streaming, different packages of games will be on HBO Max and ESPN+/Hulu.  Pretty much there is no reason, IMHO, to buy the "Center Ice"  out of market package.

Henry

While the Seattle Kraken lost their first game to the Golden Knights, they didn't do too badly. I'll be looking forward to getting tickets to their first game against my hometown Blackhawks.

OAN: I know in Detroit, they throw octopus on the ice every time the Red Wings score a goal, but will the same be done in Climate Pledge Arena when the Kraken score?

Quote from: SP Cook on October 13, 2021, 09:13:48 AM
I don't know how many they're doing since you have NHL Network doing select games.

Seven years.

In traditional linear TV terms, ESPN gets 100 regular season games, four Stanley Cup finals, and half of the playoffs.  TNT gets 72 regular season games, three Stanley Cup finals, half of the playoffs, and the New Year's Day outdoor game.  NHL Network will carry 75 regular season games, most all of them "nationalized"  meaning they take the feed from a local broadcast. 

In streaming, different packages of games will be on HBO Max and ESPN+/Hulu.  Pretty much there is no reason, IMHO, to buy the "Center Ice"  out of market package.
Well, both TNT and ESPN/ABC still have the NBA too, and I hope there is a definitive answer as to how the TV schedule will be worked out between the two leagues. I'm kind of surprised that this problem never existed for NBC, since it started broadcasting NHL games some three years after losing the NBA (it was actually supposed to start in 2004-05, but a strike cancelled that season entirely).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Henry on October 13, 2021, 10:16:46 AM
While the Seattle Kraken lost their first game to the Golden Knights, they didn't do too badly. I'll be looking forward to getting tickets to their first game against my hometown Blackhawks.

OAN: I know in Detroit, they throw octopus on the ice every time the Red Wings score a goal, but will the same be done in Climate Pledge Arena when the Kraken score?

Quote from: SP Cook on October 13, 2021, 09:13:48 AM

Seven years.

Well, both TNT and ESPN/ABC still have the NBA too, and I hope there is a definitive answer as to how the TV schedule will be worked out between the two leagues. I'm kind of surprised that this problem never existed for NBC, since it started broadcasting NHL games some three years after losing the NBA (it was actually supposed to start in 2004-05, but a strike cancelled that season entirely).

How the TV schedule will be worked out is that more games will be pushed to the premium services ESPN+ and HBO Max. You'll get about half as many games from each league on ESPN/TNT that you got when NBC still had the hockey.

For its part, NBC is ditching NBCSN as a way to justify pushing more of its content to Peacock.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

SP Cook

Actually the just expired NBC contract has just 90 games on NBC or NBCSN.  This contract will have 175 between ESPN and TNT.  The games on ESPN+ and HBO Max are in addition to that, games you used to need the Center Ice package for.

Stephane Dumas

I saw a thread on HFboards about a book telling the story of the NHL-Cleveland Barons and their games at the Richfield Coliseum.
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/the-nhls-mistake-by-the-lake-a-history-of-the-cleveland-barons-by-gary-webster.2849777/

As one Youtuber mentionned in that video, The Quicken Loans Arena have now operated longer than the Richfield Coliseum.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF8AjqbbuRE

Bruce

A few pictures of Climate Pledge Arena that I took at today's open house:

Stephane Dumas

The Montreal Canadiens did a big spring cleaning by firing general-manager Marc Bergevin.
https://www.tsn.ca/montreal-canadiens-fire-marc-bergevin-trevor-timmins-hire-jeff-gorton-1.1727507

QuoteThe Montreal Canadiens have fired general manager Marc Bergevin as the team finds itself mired in on-ice struggles mere months after advancing to the 2021 Stanley Cup final.

The Canadiens announced Bergevin's dismissal Sunday as part of a major housecleaning. Assistant GM Trevor Timmins and Paul Wilson, senior vice president of public affairs and communications, were also fired.

The Canadiens announced that former New York Rangers general manager Jeff Gorton will serve as executive vice president of hockey operations as the team searches for a new general manager.

"On behalf of myself and the organization, I wish to thank Marc Bergevin, Trevor Timmins, and Paul Wilson for their passion and engagement towards our club over the last years," Canadiens owner Geoff Molson said in a statement. "Their relentless work allowed our fans to experience many memorable moments, including last summer's playoff run that culminated with the Stanley Cup final.

"I think, however, that the time has come for a leadership change within our hockey operations department that will bring a new vision and should allow our fans and partners to continue cheering for a championship team."

Molson is scheduled to address the changes in a press conference Monday at 11 a.m. ET.

Bergevin was in his 10th season as the team's GM.

Stephane Dumas

The Habs hired their new general-manager, a guy named Kent Hughes.
https://twitter.com/CanadiensMTL/status/1483446838653038597

Stephane Dumas

Back to Kent Hugues, I would have preferred Patrick Roy... let's wait and see and now the habs fired Dominique Ducharms and Martin St. Louis is now their interim coach.
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/habs-name-martin-st-louis-interim-head-coach.2869886/

Stephane Dumas

Sidney Crosby alias Sid the Kid reached 500 goals in career.
https://twitter.com/MikeDeFabo/status/1493748058957520897

Stephane Dumas

Stephane Dumas

1995hoo

The Athletic (paywalled) reports Mike Bossy has died at 65.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 15, 2022, 09:23:11 AM

Those Isles teams were damn good.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 15, 2022, 09:40:24 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on April 15, 2022, 09:23:11 AM

Those Isles teams were damn good.

Indeed, too bad to the eyes of younger hockey fans, their dynasty lives under the shadow of the Edmonton Oilers dynasty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8VutLh0N0Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qda-WoUULt4

Stephane Dumas

Just a couple of days after Mike Bossy, we lost an other hockey legend, Guy Lafleur.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33LI8Di0cnQ

Stephane Dumas

The 2022 NHL playoffs will begin soon. Florida Panthers won the regular season championship and the President trophy. Let's see if a Cinderella team surprised everyone and will go far this season and if Toronto will bring back the cup to the Queen City after more than 50 years.

Georgia

I hope the Leafs get swept personally.
Flames or Oilers have to be Canada's hope. 

Georgia

Opening 2 games have been surprising thus far in their margins; and the Leafs wont get swept but hopefully they can lose in 5 :)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.