Minor things that annoy you-sports edition

Started by texaskdog, January 01, 2020, 03:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texaskdog

Commentators love "unanswered points" even if they don't understand what they are. 

SectorZ

For football, play-by-play guys that call an end-around a "reverse" and a reverse a "double reverse".

For baseball, the cumulative effect of players acting like human rain delays and causing the games the grind to a halt in terms of the overall pace, like pitchers taking 30 seconds to throw a pitch for no legitimate reason.

For any sports, referring to anyone doing something "heroic". Unless LeBron James runs into the stands and saves a choking child, nothing they do is even remotely heroic.

CNGL-Leudimin

The point that evaporates in the event of a tie in association football. A win means 3 points for the victorious team, but a tie means 1 point for each side.

The word "football". But that is more of a language issue.

FC Barcelona.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Max Rockatansky

The phrase "there is a lot to unpack"  used by almost every commentator these days. 

formulanone

I've always detested the phrase "stole a game (from)" to refer to an on-the-road victory, instead of owning up to a loss. You won/lost it fair and square.

Televised drafts and National Signing Day, which are hypothetical discussions about hypothetical situations.

Quote from: SectorZ on January 01, 2020, 04:08:50 PMFor any sports, referring to anyone doing something "heroic". Unless LeBron James runs into the stands and saves a choking child, nothing they do is even remotely heroic.

The word "heroic" is misused for lots of situations, even outside of sports. While in some stories, the hero returns with gifts, there's also many tales of self-sacrifice and death. The problem is that doesn't really lend itself to much of a Hollywood Ending. Maybe someone playing while injured, which can be seen as giving up personal (future) gain for the good of the team, is about all one could reasonably ask.

jeffandnicole

The "Philly Special". 

The Eagles weren't the first team to use the trick play, but they certainly made it work during the biggest football game of the season.

However, that's not the part that annoys me.  What annoys me is when any trick play is now termed the Philly Special.  The Philly Special involved the ball being hiked to a non-qb (Quarterback for you non-sports people), then being tossed to the qb.  I've seen nearly any trick play where ultimately a non-qb throws the ball being termed a Philly Special, even though it doesn't have those elements of that pass.  Even more annoying is when fellow Eagles fans use the term, because it just shows how clueless some of them are. 

ilpt4u

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on January 01, 2020, 04:23:17 PM
The point that evaporates in the event of a tie in association football. A win means 3 points for the victorious team, but a tie means 1 point for each side.
NHL Hockey has the opposite problem: A 3rd point that only appears in OT/Shootout games

A regulation contest, winner gets 2 points. OT/shootout contest, winner gets 2 points and loser gets 1 for tying in regulation

That said, since this is Sports edition, should probably be in the "Sports"  sub-board

wanderer2575

Onfield/oncourt "interviews" by the sideline reporters.  You know, the three cliched useless questions (never more, never fewer) they ask a player or coach: 
"What did it mean to you to get that big score?" 
"What was going through your head during that play?" 
"Coach, what do you need to do to hold the lead in the second half?" 
"Coach, what will the team need to do to come from behind?"

And, yeah, I get it that the reporters aren't there because they want to be, and coaches/players aren't going to reveal anything actually insightful and informative.  It's still annoying.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ilpt4u on January 01, 2020, 05:37:44 PM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on January 01, 2020, 04:23:17 PM
NHL Hockey has the opposite problem: A 3rd point that only appears in OT/Shootout games

A regulation contest, winner gets 2 points. OT/shootout contest, winner gets 2 points and loser gets 1 for tying in regulation

That said, since this is Sports edition, should probably be in the "Sports"  sub-board

The NHL should have made a regulation win 3 point and an overtime/shootout win 2 points.  That way the 1 point for an overtime/shootout loss would create an extra point and punish teams for not winning in regulation.  Personally I thought the tie was a lot more legitimate of a regular season result than a shootout or watching short handed play in overtime. 

hbelkins

The new rules in football that are taking so much of they physical contact out of the game.

Basketball refs that will call a foul when a defender breathes on someone in the backcourt, but allows muggings under the basket. The rule is supposed to be something that affects the play; a hand-check doesn't, but hacking someone as they shoot certainly does.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

formulanone

Quote from: wanderer2575 on January 01, 2020, 05:44:25 PM
Onfield/oncourt "interviews" by the sideline reporters.  You know, the three cliched useless questions (never more, never fewer) they ask a player or coach: 

"Coach, what will the team need to do to come from behind?"

And, yeah, I get it that the reporters aren't there because they want to be, and coaches/players aren't going to reveal anything actually insightful and informative.  It's still annoying.

"We have a secret play that involves using the 2nd-string backstop (L'Carpetron Dookmariott) as an alternate guard-snapper in a triple-trouble situation to prevent icing during the ensuing tip-off. Our man will attempt it around one minute and forty-seven seconds after the half, so I hope the other team is as prepared as we are. Then, we prepare to score more points than the other team while subsequently preventing them from also scoring points, because that's how you can lose sportball games. Also, we removed the A/C compressor from their bus and stole the toasters from their hotel."

But no, we get stuff like: "we have to come out stronger in the second half and blah blah blah".

ilpt4u

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 01, 2020, 05:46:07 PM
The NHL should have made a regulation win 3 point and an overtime/shootout win 2 points.  That way the 1 point for an overtime/shootout loss would create an extra point and punish teams for not winning in regulation. 
Agreed. All games should be worth either 2 or 3 points. As long as OT/shootout games are worth 3 points, so should Regulation games be

Personally I thought the tie was a lot more legitimate of a regular season result than a shootout or watching short handed play in overtime.
The NHL Overtime gimmick is (only slightly) better than the ridiculous HS/College Football OT gimmick

"Lets decide a winner to an evenly played game, in a manner that in no way, shape, or form resembles the actual gameplay that tied thru Regulation!"  - NHL Hockey and HS/College Football

Buck87

Football coaches who suck at clock management

Announcers who suck at accurately describing clock management situations, and might say something like:
"And that first down will seal the game" ....when there's 1:48 left in the game and the team trailing by a score or less still has 2 timeouts left....and then they either seem surprised (or act like their mistake never happened) when the trailing team is set to receive a punt with 55 seconds on the clock and still has a chance at the end.

Max Rockatansky

Coach Speak and all it's crappy cliches.  I'm half convinced Nick Saban and Bill Belichick are androids.  I was surprised that someone actually found a photo of Nick Saban smiling for his Wikipedia profile:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Saban#/media/File%3ANick_Saban_in_2009_(cropped).jpg

replace mobile link with desktop link --sso

ilpt4u

Cowboy Joe West, calling Balls and Strikes, or even being a Base Umpire

jeffandnicole

Faking injuries.  Basketball players are the worse at this.  Football players can be the second worse.  At least in football they have to come out for 1 play, but sometimes the injury is so minor and the player probably would've come out of the series anyway that they don't even go get evaluated on the sideline.  Change this to the player has to come out for the series, or a set amount of time (12/15 minutes), and you'll see most of these fakes go away.

Baseball players, when they get injured, are usually injured.  The less serious injuries involves a few minutes of stoppage, but usually doesn't benefit either side. 

Hockey players, when injured, usually leave the game, are declared dead, get 170 stiches for massive loss of blood, receive an organ or limb transplant, and make it back to the bench to be on the ice for their next shift.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 01, 2020, 06:52:21 PM
Faking injuries.  Basketball players are the worse at this.  Football players can be the second worse.  At least in football they have to come out for 1 play, but sometimes the injury is so minor and the player probably would've come out of the series anyway that they don't even go get evaluated on the sideline.  Change this to the player has to come out for the series, or a set amount of time (12/15 minutes), and you'll see most of these fakes go away.

Baseball players, when they get injured, are usually injured.  The less serious injuries involves a few minutes of stoppage, but usually doesn't benefit either side. 

Hockey players, when injured, usually leave the game, are declared dead, get 170 stiches for massive loss of blood, receive an organ or limb transplant, and make it back to the bench to be on the ice for their next shift.

None of those compares to professional soccer.  I've seen some light contact between players look like someone got hit with buckshot at point blank range. 

Max Rockatansky

Inserting "The"  before the name of a school, city or team.  Doubly worse if a team tried to trademark the word "The."

ilpt4u

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 01, 2020, 07:00:56 PM
Inserting "The"  before the name of a school, city or team.  Doubly worse if a team tried to trademark the word "The."
"Da"  is perfectly fine tho. Like "Da Bears"  or "Da Bulls"

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ilpt4u on January 01, 2020, 07:09:14 PM

That's more of an accent thing IMO.  I'm surprised the Warshington Redskins never got picked as a comedy routine. 

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Flint1979

Quote from: ilpt4u on January 01, 2020, 06:48:24 PM
Cowboy Joe West, calling Balls and Strikes, or even being a Base Umpire
I agree. Add Angel Hernandez.

Flint1979

George Blaha incorrectly announcing the time left in a quarter. Instead of saying 8:38 to go the right way he says, 8 and 38 to go.

SSOWorld

Quote from: ilpt4u on January 01, 2020, 07:09:14 PM
If you call them the "nickname" - what's wrong?  (The bears, the buckeyes, the wolverines, etc.)

However if you call it "the Chicago Bears" that's wrong?  Yeah I can see "The DC United" as not phonetically correct, but so is "In this game Chicago Bears beat Minnesota Vikings.

Worst of all "THE Ohio State University" and how you pronounce "The".  Sunday Night Football has the players introducing themselves and what school they attended and many just add "THE" in front of the name as if they're proud of

Does anyone get annoyed by some of the commentators who have no fucking clue what they talk about.

Chris Collinsworth, now here's a guy who matches said issue.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Beltway

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 01, 2020, 04:34:42 PM
The phrase "there is a lot to unpack"  used by almost every commentator these days. 
The term "unpack" is used in many forums and discussion formats.

While it is 'minor', it is an annoying misuse of the language, using that instead of "analyze," "explain," etc.

You "unpack" something that is already "packed," like a suitcase, truck, etc.  You don't "unpack" something that has not been "packed."
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.